Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LETTER  (Read 34861 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE LETTER
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2011, 01:24:13 PM »

Hello, everyone.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2011, 01:24:36 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ARNOLD! I hope you have a great day!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2011, 01:26:23 PM »

Larry, I'm very pleased to hear that your Appalacian piece went so well. I hope it has legs!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2011, 01:27:34 PM »

Ginny, I must look into this mystery series you're reading. I've never heard of it. Are mysteries popular in France? I have no idea, but I suspect they have fairly universal appeal. Anyone know?

Cillaliz

« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2011, 01:28:20 PM »

TOD I am reading Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany (Vintage) by Bill Buford

Cillaliz

« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2011, 01:28:44 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR ARNOLD!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2011, 01:34:15 PM »

Had a nice conversation with Joe today.  I was calling to let him know I sent the first group of checks.  I'm using Express Mail.   It costs a little more, but so far I've never had anything lost.  (knocking on wood).  Anyway, he said everyone was amazed that he just kept going and going.  He said he woke up yesterday and made one brief trip to the house and then just couldn't do it anymore.  So they took the day off.   He said the hardest thing is looking for the little things that were meaningful for him.   Some he has found and saved - like some old plants that he had on the cute porch with the arches.  He said they are battered and will need new pots, but he thinks he can save them.   He's going down today to get the plants and keep looking.  He knows there is a point he'll have to stop looking and just leave the rest, but he's not ready to do that quite yet.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2011, 01:36:13 PM »

Saw a local production of Mack and Mabel last night conducted by my best friend Mark.  Well, the orchestra was great and the Overture sounded wonderful.  The rest of the production, not so much.  I didn't like Mack and I didn't like Mabel and I certainly didn't like them together.  I played the show in 1996 and I saw the show at LA's Reprise in 2000 and I don't remember the book being the piece of crap I saw last night.  I know it's been written and re-written, and I don't know if it was the direction or what, but it was difficult to sit through.  You know when several people you know in the orchestra come up to you and say "Why are you here?  This show is crap", then I know I'm right.  I went to support Mark and my fellow musicians (and local theatre)
Somebody needs to toss the script, the facts of the original story and the thought of writing a biography, and just write a plain old-fashioned love story with those songs, one that doesn't end in straightjackets and rehab centers. No one in the audience was alive when those pictures were made and only critics care about the fidelity to facts. You can put in a production note about the real people and then entertain them as much as that music does. 

Evidently, the 1995 London production had Mack and Mabel walking off into the sunset.  It was a big hit.  Evidently, it wasn't good enough for those that wanted facts, it seems.  The story of Mack and Mabel is not pretty, it can't be pretty.  But yes, if you made it into more of love story, it would really work - like the 1995 London revival did.   Last night, before Mabel sang "Time Heals Everything", she did two hits of cocaine and she sang it like she had just done two hits of cocaine.  It was one of the most uncomfortable things I have witnessed on a stage, and to sing that great song like that seemed so wrong.

Cillaliz

« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2011, 01:37:12 PM »

You can tell FEMA is a federal agency.  He met with a FEMA adjuster yesterday who walked through the house and said everything is a total loss.  Now the dumb part.  He has to apply for a loan first.  He will be turned down due to his income then he can apply to FEMA for emergency funds because he doesn't have enough money to get the loan.   What a ridiculous process.  Why can't someone just skip the loan app and apply directly for the funds you may qualify for.   Outrageous.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2011, 01:38:36 PM »

TOD:

I'm currently reading a history of Goldman Sachs, GOLDMAN SACHS: The Culture of Success (rather dry so far), and Graham Greene's ORIENT EXPRESS.

As for recommendations, I found a charming mystery series by Will Thomas, which takes place in Victorian London, and which starts with SOME DANGER INVOLVED (read this one first!). Very addictive light reading.

I've also become quite a fan of David Liss. His A CONSPIRACY OF PAPER is a most fascinating novel about  Jews living in Amsterdam in the 1700's and the origins of the stock market. Quite a talented writer and a very interesting book.

Cillaliz

« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2011, 01:39:34 PM »

Anyway, I have been amazed at the generousity of the people sending checks for Joe.  I got a little teary eyed reading the notes for him.   People are wonderful if you just give them a chance

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2011, 01:39:51 PM »

George: I got the package. Looking forward to investigating the contents more fully tonight. Many thanks.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2011, 01:40:51 PM »

TOD:

I'm currently reading a history of Goldman Sachs, GOLDMAN SACHS: The Culture of Success (rather dry so far), and Graham Greene's ORIENT EXPRESS.

As for recommendations, I found a charming mystery series by Will Thomas, which takes place in Victorian London, and which starts with SOME DANGER INVOLVED (read this one first!). Very addictive light reading.

I've also become quite a fan of David Liss. His A CONSPIRACY OF PAPER is a most fascinating novel about  Jews living in Amsterdam in the 1700's and the origins of the stock market. Quite a talented writer and a very interesting book.

David Liss lives here in San Antonio or did for a while. I need to give him a try. But then again, I can't read anything but class stuff for the next year and a half.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2011, 01:41:48 PM »

Continued vibes to Cillaliz's friend Joe. He's probably still in shock--who wouldn't be?

John G.

« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2011, 01:42:51 PM »

You can tell FEMA is a federal agency.  He met with a FEMA adjuster yesterday who walked through the house and said everything is a total loss.  Now the dumb part.  He has to apply for a loan first.  He will be turned down due to his income then he can apply to FEMA for emergency funds because he doesn't have enough money to get the loan.   What a ridiculous process.  Why can't someone just skip the loan app and apply directly for the funds you may qualify for.   Outrageous.

This happened to many of my friends affected by Hurricane Charlie when it went through Florida. As it turned out, a friend with the least damage of all got his money first. He and his family weren't even displaced from their home.
― Voltaire

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2011, 01:44:20 PM »

TOD:

David Liss lives here in San Antonio or did for a while. I need to give him a try. But then again, I can't read anything but class stuff for the next year and a half.

Wait until you have some time, because you may not be able to put the book down.

There's a prequel, too--THE COFFEE TRADER. Also interesting, but I prefer the first.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2011, 01:45:48 PM »

I think a little visit to Amazon is in my future.

TTFN.

Cillaliz

« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2011, 01:47:45 PM »

Continued vibes to Cillaliz's friend Joe. He's probably still in shock--who wouldn't be?

He is, I think everyone in Joplin is.  He said my sister is having the hardest time with it all.  Joe said he's had a few good crys, but he's also starting to see this as a new chapter in his life and is trying to decide what he'll do next
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 02:03:19 PM by Cillaliz »

Ginny

« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2011, 02:00:18 PM »

We are back from Oxford.  The memorial service for Dr. Shriver was just right - celebratory and classy.  There were about 40 Glee Club alums who stood in well for the current Men's Glee Club (they're on a tour of Europe).  The best part was meeting up, quite by accident, with my good friend Becky on the way in and sitting with her throughout the service.  We had parallel careers at Miami - she at the Hamilton Campus, me at Middletown.  She came to Miami just one year after I and stayed for her entire librarian career, retiring from there in 2004.  We hadn't seen each other since before Christmas.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2011, 02:07:46 PM »

I'm still trying to get my mind around the size of the damaged area in Joplin.  It's 6 miles long and 3/4 mile wide.  Central park is 2.5 miles long and 1/2 mile wide.  So, that would be almost 2 1/2 Central parks end to end plus an extra 1/4 mile wide of businesses and houses.  I can't even imagine that at all.   

Cillaliz

« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2011, 02:12:54 PM »

Wow! CNN just reported that they drove from one end of the demolished area to the other and it's actually 12 miles long and 3/4 mile wide.  Holy cow.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2011, 02:14:51 PM »

Cilla-

Thank You For Your Birthday Greeting

Cillaliz

« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2011, 02:15:34 PM »

You are most welcome Arnold, hope you are having a very nice day

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2011, 02:16:05 PM »

Jeanne-

Thank You For Your Birthday Wishes

Cillaliz

« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2011, 02:20:26 PM »

I decided to do calico beans instead of baked beans. They aren't vegetarian, but I was hungry for them and they are easy to make. 

Time to take my beans and head down the street for a get together with friends.....back later

Danise

« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2011, 02:24:31 PM »

Hi all!  Just popping by to say "Happy, happy, happy birthday" to DR ArnoldMBrockman!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2011, 02:27:40 PM »

Cilla, I am so very sorry for all the lost that tornado created.  I don't use checks anymore but I will send a money order on Tuesday. 
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2011, 02:33:53 PM »

Danise-

Thank You For Your Birthday Wishes. Have A Great Weekend

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2011, 03:36:47 PM »

Mulholland Falls has arrived and I am awash in minor ninths.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2011, 03:45:32 PM »

Love those Grusin string trills, something he used repeatedly with Sergio.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up