Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FRIED CHICKEN  (Read 41130 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: FRIED CHICKEN
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2011, 06:05:46 PM »

I had to come down to Toyland to use the scanner and now I will head myself back home for a lot of edits! There's a street fair on Broadway between 79th and 86th so I may later wander out for a bit and check it out.

I've been reading Congreve's THE WAY OF THE WORLD, which is funny, but - familiar as I am with 17th and 18th Century comedy dialogue - I'm still a bit lost in this play's machinations and I wish I were a little more familiar with the sexual innuendoes in the text.
Mrs Fainall is married to Mr Fainall, the villain, and the marriage had been arranged when, during her affair with Mirabell, she thought she might be pregnant
Fainall is married unhappily to Mrs Fainall, and in a heavy affair with Mrs Marwood; together he and Marwood are plotting the downfall of Mirabell and his love for Mrs Millamant
Marwood hates Mirabell because he rejected her advances
Mrs Fainall is still on friendly terms with Mirabell and helping him in his attempts to marry Millamant, whose fortune - until she marries - is under control of her old aunt, Lady Wishfort
Millamant and Mrs Fainall are cousins; Millamant is neice to, and Fainall daughter of, Lady Wishfort, who hates Mirabell because he once pretended to love her and got the horny old lady's knickers in a twist
Lady Wishfort is trying to marry her niece Millamant to her idiot nephew Sir Wilfull Witwould so she can control Millamant's fortune
Mirabell and Millamant are in a plot with Foible, Lady Wishfort's maid, and Foible's husband Waitwell, Mirabell's servant, to have Waitwell impersonate Mirabell's wealthy uncle Sir Rowland, who claims to be in love with Lady Wishfort, so they can blackmail her into giving Millamant permission (and the fortune she controls) to marry Mirabell. Fainall and Marwood have learnedof this plot and are determined todestroy Mirabell and Millamant.

That's the essential plot. I am still uncertain, in this play where everyone's having sex with someone else and often using it as a power play or wishing to have sex, exactly what is going on with the two leading characters, Are they or aren't they doing the dread deed? I'm sure it was clear to the original audience, butthere are too many ambiguous word usages, like "friend," which can mean as well a sexual partner, keep, protector. There's great rhythm to the language but there sure are a helluva lot of archaic words!

That plot so needs a flowchart. ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2011, 06:07:24 PM »

Can anyone explain to me how to tag a FB friend with a photo?

When you bring up the photo, there will be an option to tag the photo under the photo on the left side. Once you select that, you just click on a "face", then a menu will pop up allowing you to type in and select a name. Click again to tag.

thank you.  so basically i also have to but the photo on my page as well?

Basically. But you can also post it on a friend's wall.

without putting it on my wall?  i have a photo of craig i'm not sure he would want me to share but i want to tag him with it.

Well... You could post it on Craig's Facebook page/Wall. Then set the privacy setting for the picture to "Friends Only". I think.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2011, 06:08:47 PM »

Those are very nice pictures, Jane!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2011, 06:16:58 PM »

BK - The Golden Lamb is still there.  We live about 15 miles from there and I was just there for lunch last month.  Next time, I'll order the fried chicken!

Do they serve lamb at The Golden Lamb? -Or just fried chicken? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura

« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2011, 06:17:32 PM »

Beautiful wildflowers, Jane. Thanks.

Laura

« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2011, 06:17:58 PM »

My son is going to make a photo blog site for me. Some day.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2011, 06:19:03 PM »

When you bring up the photo, there will be an option to tag the photo under the photo on the left side. Once you select that, you just click on a "face", then a menu will pop up allowing you to type in and select a name. Click again to tag.

without putting it on my wall?  i have a photo of craig i'm not sure he would want me to share but i want to tag him with it.

Well... You could post it on Craig's Facebook page/Wall. Then set the privacy setting for the picture to "Friends Only". I think.

i'll try the tag & see what happens.  i think he looks great in the photo.  thanks for your help.

Jane

« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2011, 06:19:37 PM »

DR'S George & Laura thank you.

Jane

« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2011, 06:20:04 PM »

My son is going to make a photo blog site for me. Some day.

that would be nice.

Ginny

« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »

DR Jose, here's the

Golden Lamb Dinner Menu
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2011, 06:23:16 PM »

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2011, 06:30:56 PM »

It's too early to be so tired.

Ginny

« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2011, 06:36:17 PM »

Instead of re-broadcasting the National concert, our PBS station now has a special about Erich Kunzel  :D

Jane

« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2011, 06:37:41 PM »

FJL I don't think it is early in NY.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2011, 06:37:58 PM »

i'll try the tag & see what happens.  i think he looks great in the photo.  thanks for your help.

DR Jane - You could just post it on Craig's Facebook Wall and leave it at that. -He can tag himself if he so desires.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2011, 06:44:16 PM »

I still want to learn how to do this.  if he complains i'll delete it.  i clicked on download a photo and didn't find any other options besides "friend's only" or comment.  do i need to do it as a photo album instead of simply up loading a photo?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2011, 06:53:11 PM »

I'll tell you this - every other board I visit has almost no posts today - we are the berries here, baby.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #137 on: May 29, 2011, 06:54:26 PM »

Page 5?  Why are we on Page 5?  It is Memorial Day Weekend.  Does that not include your HHW site?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2011, 06:56:30 PM »

Fun vibes for DR JANE and DR MBARNUM --- hopefully there will be Sherlock photos.

Thank you.  MBarnum took photos of Sherlock munching on a big stick.  i do't how well they came out as sherlock keep utrning away from the camera.  Photos were also taken for DR Laura.  We forgot to take a photo of us at lunch.  I had meant to do so especially since we ate at the hotel MBarnum used to work at.

Hotel 6?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2011, 07:00:02 PM »

Happy Belated Birthday

to DR ArnoldMBrockman
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2011, 07:00:27 PM »

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2011, 07:01:13 PM »

BK - The Golden Lamb is still there.  We live about 15 miles from there and I was just there for lunch last month.  Next time, I'll order the fried chicken!

Do they serve lamb at The Golden Lamb? -Or just fried chicken? ;)

DR Jose, here's their website. You'd love the food.
http://www.goldenlamb.com/

I've decided that Mirabell and Millamant are not yet sexually involved, but their scene laying out the conditions of marriage is absolutely brilliant. After he leaves, she has a wonderful line to Mrs Fainall along the lines of "if this marriage doesn't happen. I shall be lost - for I find I love him violently."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2011, 07:01:18 PM »

I still want to learn how to do this.  if he complains i'll delete it.  i clicked on download a photo and didn't find any other options besides "friend's only" or comment.  do i need to do it as a photo album instead of simply up loading a photo?

"Download"? or did you mean "Upload"? Is the pic already on Facebook? Or is just on your computer? If it's on your computer:

-Go to Craig's Facebook Page.

-Under the row of pictures there is a Share option. Click on Photo.

-Click on "Upload a Photo from your drive".

-Follow the prompts to select and upload the photo.

-Once that is done, it will be posted on Craig's Facebook Wall. You can tag him in it, or he can do it himself.

He may have his Privacy and Share settings set to "Friends of Friends", and if that's that the case, then basically anything on his Wall will be "automatically" Shared.

If you're just trying to get the picture to him: email it. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2011, 07:01:43 PM »

Ashland Lithia Hotel

Jane

« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2011, 07:04:56 PM »

"Download"? or did you mean "Upload"? Is the pic already on Facebook? Or is just on your computer? If it's on your computer:

-Once that is done, it will be posted on Craig's Facebook Wall. You can tag him in it, or he can do it himself.

He may have his Privacy and Share settings set to "Friends of Friends", and if that's that the case, then basically anything on his Wall will be "automatically" Shared.

it is not on FB.  i want to put it there.  other people have tagged him so i don't think it is a privavy issue.
i meant upload.
so i can't tag it from my page? i have to post it on his page & then tag him putting it there twice?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2011, 07:12:22 PM »

it is not on FB.  i want to put it there.  other people have tagged him so i don't think it is a privavy issue.
i meant upload.
so i can't tag it from my page? i have to post it on his page & then tag him putting it there twice?

You can do either.

If you upload it to his page, then tag it, it will only be on his page.

If you upload it to your page, and then tag it, it will show up on your page AND Craig will also get a notification on his page that you tagged him a photo - which then will show up in his "Pics of You" and on his page.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2011, 07:14:12 PM »

DR Jane - I guess the question I should be asking is: Do you NOT want the picture on your Facebook Wall?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2011, 07:14:44 PM »

When DR MBarnum worked there i believe it was called the Mark Anthony Hotel.  When it first opened in 1925, as the Lithia Springs Hotel, it was the tallest building between San Francisco & Portland.

Jane

« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2011, 07:15:58 PM »

DR Jane - I guess the question I should be asking is: Do you NOT want the picture on your Facebook Wall?

At this point whichever way is the simplest ;D

Jane

« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2011, 07:20:09 PM »

DR Jose thank you very much.  it is time to say 'night.  i saved all your comments & will attempt this tomorrow. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up