Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PERSONAL PROJECT  (Read 15113 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: THE PERSONAL PROJECT
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2011, 02:32:48 PM »

I started with a fairly productive day, but made the mistake of watching the daily news briefing on the flood.  I think I have compassion fatigue.    I'm pretty fascinated with it all and am TOTALLY distracted by it all.   I can't seem to get my work done, and it's driving me crazy. 

Maybe you need to wait until later in the day to watch the updates.  i can imagine that to be difficult to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2011, 02:34:34 PM »

I am very much looking forward to going to Viroqua for a couple days to see my nephew Adam and his family (SunDee and Gabe).  I knew I really needed to get out of town when I heard about a pancake breakfast Saturday at the Greek Church and thought  "Oh, maybe I better not go, I'll miss the pancake breakfast"  LOL!!

Actually it was supposed to be Greek Fest this weekend but it's postponed due to impending disaster, so I won't miss that

Jane

« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2011, 02:34:36 PM »

Thanks Jane, I like the quote too.  It actually has some logic to it lol

;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2011, 02:36:27 PM »

I started with a fairly productive day, but made the mistake of watching the daily news briefing on the flood.  I think I have compassion fatigue.    I'm pretty fascinated with it all and am TOTALLY distracted by it all.   I can't seem to get my work done, and it's driving me crazy. 

Maybe you need to wait until later in the day to watch the updates.  i can imagine that to be difficult to do.

The funny thing is, they don't bother me at all, they just distract me.   I mean, I know which roads are closed, I know what has been done to protect the infrastructure, I think it's fascinating that the flood may actually help the endangered birds that nest on the sand bars because there will be more sand bars and that it will help the endangered sturgeon because more nutrients will go into the river...

Jane

« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2011, 02:39:27 PM »

INTERESTING ABOUT THE BIRDS.  IT IS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME EVENT.  I CAN IMAGINE IT IS DISTRACTING.

Jane

« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2011, 02:40:23 PM »

Time for me to get off the computer, do some stretches & then rest my arms.

Cillaliz

« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2011, 02:54:17 PM »

Everything around here is surreal.  Imagine that you find out that the government is going to flood part of your town in 14 days.   So you have 14 days to try to figure out what to do to protect the city water, electric and sewer systems, 14 days to build levees and sandbag whatever you can, 14 days for people who want to, to evacuate and try to find other places to live, and 14 days to wake up every morning wondering when it will be bad, how bad it will be and what a mess we have to clean up....in 2 months

Then in the South Dakota portion of the area it's like the DMZ.  National Guard troops everywhere. Blac hawk helicopters moving 1 ton sandbags.  Police telling homeowners when and if they can go to their houses.   Then an order to the same people who were working night and day on their houses that as of midnight last Friday, if you leave you can't come back for 2 months or more.  If you stay, you may not have electricity and we can't guarantee you'll be able to get out. 

On the Nebraska side of the river, there are severe restrictions on sand bags and even people stealing sand bags from houses that were surrounded and the owners left.   While The Dunes get the National Guard and all the free sand bags they want, across the river, where it will flood just as bad, people have to buy them.  It's insane.   Rumors that dams are breaking or  bowing or other crazy things are running rampant.   It's exhausting even if you aren't doing anything to help.

Someone said the other day that psychologically they thought a tornado would be easier.  It hits you and you know right away what damage was done and can start recovering.   The folks in the way of the flooding have the luxury of 2 weeks to prepare, but it's two weeks of this huge thing looming over you and you know it's coming and when it's coming. But you also know that once it gets here, it will be here for 2 months before it starts to go away and you can see what damage was done.   Then you can start to recover.   

I think we'll all be better once the water gets here.  It's just to strange in the meantime

I haven't really done that much to help, at least not compared to others.  I've done sandbags a couple times and I've taken lots of photos and shared them with the flood group.  They do appreciate that, so I guess that's a way of helping too. 

Anyway, that's my rant, my update and my whatever....gotta go to a meeting.   Glad I'm leaving town this weekend...I'll probably spend alot of time on the computer, checking up on the folks back home...

Cillaliz

« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2011, 02:57:24 PM »

It's a historic preservation meeting.... the way I wrote the post, it sounded like some other sort of meeting, lol.   

Cillaliz

« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2011, 02:59:25 PM »

Oh, and did I mention it's almost 100 degrees again....and DR Laura, vibes about the forest fires, but could you keep you smoke away from our flood?  :)

Cillaliz

« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2011, 03:00:22 PM »

It's really hazy and I'm hearing that it may be smoke from the fires out west.   Of course I'm hearing a lot of things.... better go, our leader for the commission is a stickler on time....

Jane

« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2011, 03:37:17 PM »

Where are all these people & their pets going to go?  has the government done anything to help?

Jane

« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2011, 03:52:29 PM »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2011, 04:08:52 PM »

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Laura

« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2011, 04:11:09 PM »

Everyone, I would like you to meet Kim. Kim and her family will be staying with us for a while. Kim is pretty scared right now, so please be patient.

"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2011, 04:18:51 PM »

Awwww!  I'm looking forward to photos of kim an her family.  i won't comment to save my wrist, just know i am enjoying the.  same goes for all of your photos.

George

« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2011, 04:32:13 PM »

Everyone, I would like you to meet Kim. Kim and her family will be staying with us for a while. Kim is pretty scared right now, so please be patient.

Pretty kitty!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Laura

« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2011, 04:41:06 PM »

She's a hider. We need to work on that.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2011, 04:46:46 PM »

I am so sorry to read about DR Jane's latest accident.  I hope you are feeling better soon, Jane! 

I managed to fall twice within the first six feet out of bed this morning.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2011, 04:50:36 PM »

I am so sorry to read about DR Jane's latest accident.  I hope you are feeling better soon, Jane! 

:o

~~~STOP FALLING VIBES FOR DR TCB!!~~~

Laura

« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2011, 04:54:28 PM »

(((TCB)))

I fell hiking on Saturday. My butt is still sore.

Ginny

« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2011, 05:02:43 PM »

DR TCB - sorry to hear about your falls.  Take care!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Laura

« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2011, 05:16:38 PM »

Kim and her six kittens:

Laura

« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2011, 05:17:01 PM »

There's a calico with her back to the camera.

Cillaliz

« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2011, 05:26:45 PM »

Where are all these people & their pets going to go?  has the government done anything to help?

Well, some people from the wealthier areas just bought new houses and still have the old ones.  People are renting, others are staying with friends.  The Humane Society and other groups are asking for foster homes for animals.   Pretty much everyone has a plce to go.

Cillaliz

« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2011, 05:27:40 PM »

Kim and her six kittens:

She looks like she needs your help, Laura

Jane

« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2011, 05:27:43 PM »

:(  i hope you didn't do much damage.

thank you.  i've tried researching on the net how long it will be before i can use my arm & can't find much info.

Jane

« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2011, 05:28:32 PM »

(((TCB)))

I fell hiking on Saturday. My butt is still sore.

i trade you your sore butt ;)  i'm glad that is all you hurt.

Cillaliz

« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2011, 05:29:19 PM »

I am amazed at the amount of smoke we have here from the Arizona fires.   It will give us a beautiful sunsent.   There is always a bright side

Jane

« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2011, 05:29:57 PM »

Well, some people from the wealthier areas just bought new houses and still have the old ones.  People are renting, others are staying with friends.  The Humane Society and other groups are asking for foster homes for animals.   Pretty much everyone has a plce to go.

good. 

Jane

« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2011, 05:30:34 PM »

beautiful sunsets are nice.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up