Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MISE EN SCENE  (Read 21564 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MISE EN SCENE
« on: May 27, 2004, 12:00:33 AM »

Well, you've read the notes (and if you haven't you will, of course, be clueless as to their title), you know the routine, the routine knows you, and now all that's left to do is post and then post more.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 12:02:01 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:MISE EN SCENE
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 12:19:49 AM »

Is THE STING a caper film? If it is, I like it. Others have been mentioned by bk - TOPKAPI, BIG DEAL ON MADONNA STREET (which I haven't seen in forever - but I liked it forever ago).
I also like lox and cream cheese on a bagel with capers.

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 12:37:41 AM »

My favourite caper movie is "The Lavender Hill Mob". I am fond of the other ones mentioned above - "The Sting" is such a great movie. I remember the first version (I assume it was the first!) of "The Thomas Crown Affair" as being enjoyable too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 01:45:07 AM »

Good morning, all!  First of all, let's set up the social calendar for DR PennyO's date next week:  Tuesday, June 1,  Joe Allen, 326 West 46th Street, 5:30 pm.  

DRNoel, I didn't mean to exclude you, your lovely wife, or any other DRs, and I hope you and any other East Coast DRs can join us.  As my Dear Friend BK says, be there or be square.

TOD:  Both "Ocean's 11," "Topkapi," and the first "Thomas Crown Affair."
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 01:46:34 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jed

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 02:13:27 AM »

How wonderful to have DR elmore as our NYC social coordinator!  I hope to put your new service to work some day! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 02:36:02 AM »

Okay, Mr. Smarty Pants, Mr. Film Buff, Mr. Oh-So-Mise-en-Scène, here's trivia for you:

What Fritz Lang film is based on an Esperanto novel?  That's right, one film by the Fritz himself is based on a novel written in Esperanto which is sitting on mine very own book shelf in a box somewhere in a stack of boxes in the hallway of my home.  And is still in print, I believe.

Hint, hint:  the novel is science fiction, but has since become, for better or for worse, reality.

Virgina Capers Films:  The Great White Hope; Howard the Duck; Support Your Local Gunfighter; Lady Sings the Blues; What's Love Got to Do with It?; Ferris Bueller's Day Off...

Oh, you meant caper films.  Well in that case, as Emily Littella (and not Rosanne Rosannadanna, as someone here said recently) was fond of saying, never mind.

I've never seen the original Thomas Crown Affair, but rather enjoyed the remake, despite its excesses.  "Monet's lost masterpiece 'Dogs at Cards'" indeed!  But then, I'm a sucker for anything with Pierce Brosnan.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 02:53:36 AM »

I've always liked capers in my Beefsteak Tartar and sometimes in a salad.  But I don't think anyone has ever made a movie about it.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 03:03:18 AM »

How wonderful to have DR elmore as our NYC social coordinator!  I hope to put your new service to work some day! :D

Well, DRJed, in the words of Horace Greeley, "Go East, Young Man!" What are you doing up so late?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jed

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 03:32:22 AM »

Just one of those nights where I'm simply not feeling tired.  Of course, should the phone happen to ring in 2-1/2 hours or so with a job for tomorrow (or today, rather), I may just regret all this.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 04:48:39 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmm....glad Juliana got the Sony Camera!  ;D

Will the pictures be here or in her Journal thread?

Caper films?

ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW is a favorite, THE KILLERS, hmmmmmmmmm.....I like some of the others mentioned as well.  I will have to give this more thought!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 05:08:19 AM »

Caper movies? Topkapi, Lavender Hill Mob, (the original) Ladykillers, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, The Great Muppet Caper (Kermit to Miss Piggy: "You're hamming it up"), and To Catch a Thief.

And Panni (lox and cream cheese), WEL (Virginia Capers), and TCB (Wiener Schnitzel), thanks for the morning laughs.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 05:13:33 AM »

TOD:  Both "Ocean's 11," "Topkapi," and the first "Thomas Crown Affair."

Trivia question: Which actor was in the first two of these movies?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 05:14:28 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Ben

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 05:16:41 AM »

Dan-in-Toronto, that's WFO to you. Both are Williams (WEL AND WFO) but Mr. Orr is at work already making calculations for unsuspecting math students while Mr. Lurie is probably partaking of breakfast before his trip to the Candy Factory.

Glad to hear that our Tuesday date is confirmed. I look forward to meeting new Dear Readers (and old DRs who happen to be there as well). Anthony will not be with me as he takes a dance class on Tuesday early evening.

I now must find a copy of Jewish Thighs on Broadway. Or at least, as DR Jason mentioned, find my copy of A Doll's Life.

I forgot about The Great Muppet Caper. Love it. Don't actually know many other caper movies, though the ones that have been mentioned ring a bell. I should watch The Lavender Hill Mob. I've heard so many good things about it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 05:17:31 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2004, 05:32:15 AM »

Forgot to mention, a BIG welcome back to DR Kerry (and all the good people and dogs in his abode). Best of luck on the new job.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2004, 05:53:35 AM »

Ben,

As someone would say, spoo si oops. And while Mr. O is calculating (single entendre), Mr. L is breakfasting, and I'm switching their names - guess what I'm up to? Heading out to check some important revisions. Just don't tell the publisher that my Williams are completely mixed up.  

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2004, 06:02:04 AM »

With so many depressing memories yesterday, I was glad when Panni suggested a change of topic: the first time you tasted marzipan.

The first time was a summer's day, about five years ago, in a cabin in the woods in Western Pennsylvania.  We found a radio station on a really old receiver.  The last thing we wanted to hear was news, but they broke the music to announce Princess Diana was in a car crash.  Then they broke again to say she'd died.

The next time I tasted marzipan was the day that good-looking Kennedy kid crashed his plane.  For many of us heredity and Camelot lovers, the fact that his father had been a great president, one uncle had been my favorite presidential candidate ever, and another uncle has his name on more good legislation than anyone . . . well, we kind of always believed someday he might emerge as a great politician.  Now we'll never know (ooh, a Destry Rides Again reference).

I haven't eaten marzipan since.

The Hot Rock.  Paul Sand and Zero Mostel ... now there's a family.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2004, 06:09:32 AM »

Can't make it Tuesday.  I'm seeing CAROLINE OR CHANGE that night.  I am not a big Tony Kushner fan but am courious to see Ms. Pinkens.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2004, 06:10:49 AM »

I definitely think THE STING counts as a caper film because it was the first one that sprang to my mind when I read the topic of the day. Not a big fan of TOPKAPI (too long and leisurely paced for me). I've never seen RIFIFI but want to as its the debatable father of heist movies and especially the father of TOPKAPI.

I've never seen either version of THE ITALIAN JOB, but I understand they're both very good.

I did like HEIST and even more THE SCORE both from a couple of years ago with brilliant casts. Other better than average caper movies are THE HOT ROCK and THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR (both versions, in some ways quite different from each other).

I do think GAMBIT is one of those underappreciated gems that will one day get rediscovered. I mentioned as much at one point in yesterday's posts talking about movies that surprisingly change directions on the audience.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2004, 06:13:58 AM »

I got my first Mermorial Day weekend invitation last night - a pool party on Sunday afternoon. That should be fun.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2004, 06:19:36 AM »

Capers?  Really, caper films as the TOD?  How strange!  Capers are those little buds from a Mediterranean shrub, which are usually cured in brine and make dishes like Chicken Picatta interesting.  I didn't know they made films about capers.

Next, you'll be telling me they're making a film about Chinese Five Spice Powder!  (The mise en scene would be tolerable, but the mise en place would be spectacular!)

:D ;D 8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2004, 06:20:05 AM »

I have to say that the better of the two finalists won AMERICAN IDOL last night. That's not to denegrate Diana's accomplishments. To have that kind of voice and poise at 16 is pretty remarkable. Give her a few more years of seasoning, and she should be an awesome entertainer.

Fantasia is a totally unique talent, and I'll look at where she goes with her fame with great interest. I hope she'll be able to handle it.

I caught the show last night in bits and pieces, and some other comments.

Jasmine's rendition of "Midnight Train to Georgia" was hideous from the first note. Totally flat and embarrassing. She never sang THAT badly throughout an entire song before, but she was simply ghastly.

Ruben Studdard's solo was also abysmal. Something has happened to his voice in the year since his win as it lacked tone, authority, and control. He's carrying a good bit of extra weight, of course, which has to affect his breathing, and I found the whole song sadly lacking

How great to see John Stevens, Jon Peter Lewis, and Matthew Rogers back and in their usual form. I was glad John got a solo moment in the big band section, and he did it well. I always thought Matt Rogers had a lot of stage presence. JPL is just too cute for words.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2004, 06:21:36 AM »

I've always liked capers in my Beefsteak Tartar and sometimes in a salad.  But I don't think anyone has ever made a movie about it.
Like minds!  Serves me right for posting without reading everyone else's posts!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2004, 06:26:02 AM »

I also like lox and cream cheese on a bagel with capers.
See comment to DR Orr.  If the three of us ever get in a room together, there will be great trouble ahead!   :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2004, 06:27:38 AM »

DinTo it was Akim Tamiroff who was in RIDE A CROOKED MILE with Miss Frances Farmer and Mr Leif Erickson many years earlier....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2004, 06:29:52 AM »

Time to get ready for work.  Short day today, but I've got salads to start on when I get home.

Oh, DR Jose, I posted a question to Alton over at eGullet, on how he'd alter his cole slaw recipe, adding the pineapple that der B's daughter insists on including.  He answered!  (He suggested substituting pineapple juice for the pickle juice in the dressing, then loading in the pineapple chunks.  Works for me!)

Jason

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2004, 06:46:57 AM »

Bonjour, tout le monde! Ca va? Sorry...BK got me in a French mood with all this talk of mise en scene.

We had some wonderful posts yesterday. I just wanted to say that. Thank you all for sharing.

I don't think I know from "caper" films. From the titles listed, it would seem that I've seen a couple of them--THE ITALIAN JOB, THE STING and THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR all ring a bell. Otherwise, the only capers I know about are the little round things that I sometimes find in my fettucine.

I don't know why, but I have "Hey...did you happen to see the most beautiful girl in the world" running through my head right now and it's driving me mad.

Tonight I'm seeing CAROLINE, OR CHANGE. One of the people I'm going with is friends with Ms. Pinkins, so maybe we'll go backstage after the show. After tonight, the only Tony-nominated show for Best Musical that I will not have seen is AVENUE Q. I hope to remedy that soon, as I think the original company will start to disband in the next few months--their contracts have nearly expired. The only revival I haven't seen yet is, of course, ASSASSINS...the one I really want to see. I will hopefully see that one soon, too, before Mr. Kudisch leaves the show. Oh! You know what--I lied. I didn't get to see BIG RIVER because I was in Pennsylvania. Damn Bucks County Playhouse and all their treachery! Maybe I'll try to catch the tour if it plays New Jersey or Connecticut.

Tomorrow I see GYPSY again. Third time. Saturday matinee is actually still a toss-up. We may be seeing MILLIE (I've not seen it since previews, let alone with Susan Egan and Dixie Carter) or we may be seeing FIDDLER. Again. Third time. Oy vey. Saturday night we're visiting with Ms. Shirley Jones and Mr. Patrick Cassidy at 42nd STREET (my first time seeing that--can you imagine?) and Sunday afternoon we're seeing the closing performance of GYPSY. I've never been to a closing performance before. Should prove to be exciting.

Speaking of exciting--can't wait for Tuesday's shindig at Joe Allen...!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2004, 07:05:09 AM »

A couple of favorite caper movies:

Gambit
Who's Minding the Mint
The Hot Rock
Big Deal on Madonna Street
Small Time Crooks

All comedies--I can't think of any non-comedic caper flciks that I liked at the mo'.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2004, 07:08:13 AM »

Pineapple in cole slaw?  Is that any good?  Sounds interesting! :)

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2004, 07:14:08 AM »

SMALL TIME CROOKS, of course! Woody Allen's best film in the last five to ten years. I loved it.

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2004, 07:25:21 AM »

I don't know why, but I have "Hey...did you happen to see the most beautiful girl in the world" running through my head right now and it's driving me mad.

Yes, and now so do I! Thanks a lot Jason! LOL!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up