Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MISE EN SCENE  (Read 21905 times)

Jed

Re:MISE EN SCENE
« Reply #150 on: May 27, 2004, 04:17:28 PM »

Finally had to break down and download "Kung Fu Fighting" in an attempt to drive the thing out of my head.  Listening to the full song was the only way I was able to get another one of these earworms out of my head a couple months back that DR Jose had implanted there...

I got a brand new pair of rollerskates
You got a brand new key...

Bwahahahaha...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 04:18:58 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #151 on: May 27, 2004, 04:21:04 PM »

Uma...Yma, Yma....Uma.

Uma...Oprah, Oprah...Uma!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #152 on: May 27, 2004, 04:29:37 PM »

"I got a brand new combine harvester" was  a #1 hit for The Wurzels  in the UK.

I've been trying to replace my "Candles in The Rain" record but the CD seems to be not available these day. Always liked the intro verse  to the song and it is never included on other compilations recordings.
"Little sisters of the Sun lit
Candles In The Rain
Fed the world on oats and raisins
Candles In The Rain"

I was fond of Melanie's "Psychotherapy"song too and  her version Alexander Beetle".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #153 on: May 27, 2004, 05:40:08 PM »

Those photos of Juliana are beautiful.  What a lovely dress.  I am in love with that color.

Jennifer

« Reply #154 on: May 27, 2004, 05:41:00 PM »

Wow, over an hour since the last post. :(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: May 27, 2004, 05:41:37 PM »

Yes, it's our afternoon siesta, our lull time.  

Jennifer

« Reply #156 on: May 27, 2004, 05:42:30 PM »

I planted, planted, planted.  Only one more bunch of flowers left.  Today was pansy day.  Yellow and purple.  And purple cabbage plants (well they look like cabbage).  And bright pink impatiens.  I decided all those colors go together!

Jennifer

« Reply #157 on: May 27, 2004, 05:43:40 PM »

Yes, it's our afternoon siesta, our lull time.  

Where did you come from?

I didn't even see you there!

Here it's night. No afternoon siesta for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #158 on: May 27, 2004, 05:45:08 PM »

Seeing Francois on here reminded me of Sex & The City.  Anybody else VERY sad that they movie they promised us is no more.

I REALLY miss that show.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #159 on: May 27, 2004, 05:53:23 PM »

Pineapple in cole slaw?  Is that any good?  Sounds interesting! :)
Follow your fave cole slaw recipe, or use Alton Brown's.  Salting the shredded cabbage is important, as it draws out the excess water, which keeps the dressing from becoming a watery mess.  Alton suggested substituting the pickle "juice" with the liquid from the pineapple jar or can, then adding the pineapple chunks as freely as you like.  A little lemon juice counters the sweetness of the pineapple, giving the dish balance.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Robin

« Reply #160 on: May 27, 2004, 06:01:56 PM »

I just watched the Wade Williams deeveedee of Destination Moon, an early George Pal production.  It was written by Robert A. Heinlein.  And the score by Leith Stevens is top-notch.  So its' pedigree is good.

The first-billed actor is John Archer...obviously inspriational to the folks behind Star Trek: Enterprise.  Another actor looks like a cross between Humphrey Bogart and Gilbert Gottfried, and speaks with a Bronx accent.  I kept expecting Morris Ankrum to show up, but he never did.  Instead, we got an actor who looks and sounds a lot like Ankrum.

Bad print.  Bad sound.  

More interesting as an historical artifact than an actual movie.  Still, it's enjoyable for what it is.  And I'm a sucker for any 1950's SF picture.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jed

« Reply #161 on: May 27, 2004, 06:07:30 PM »

Those photos of Juliana are beautiful.  What a lovely dress.

To heck with the dress, what a lovely Juliana!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #162 on: May 27, 2004, 06:35:52 PM »

I'm posting so the home fries keep burning.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #163 on: May 27, 2004, 06:49:59 PM »

Fun posts today. :)

SWW I’m very curious to how the cole slaw recipe turns out.

Dear Reader Laura, as usual, a beautiful picture.

MBarnum. I’m finally here.  I need to get back from Europe before I decide when we can go to Portland.  Is that okay? I still like the idea of September Jed.

Jed, GOOD VIBES FOR AN EASY MOVE!

Dan-in-Toronto, candy in the guest bathroom.  At first I laughed at the idea, but on second thought it is very sweet-no pun intended.  Has anyone ever mistaken the candy for fancy soap? :D

Keith and I enjoyed Juliana’s photos.  As Keith commented, she is very lovely.

Jane

« Reply #164 on: May 27, 2004, 07:09:36 PM »

Favorite caper movies:

HOW TO STEAL A MILLION-Audry Helburn is so cute.
THE STING

I’m tired and can’t think of any more favorites, capers yes, just not favorites.

Keith said his is THE MALTESE FALCON.  Of course it would be a Bogart movie. :)  I don't think of it as a caper movie, but it is listed as one.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #165 on: May 27, 2004, 07:12:25 PM »

I think both actresses are horrible casting ideas. Gwenyth is an especially bad choice. How on earth do these people think of anything so ridiculous?

If you HAVE to do a filmbio on Dietrich (and with all the documentary features of her around, I find it totally unnecessary), hire an unknown German actress.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #166 on: May 27, 2004, 07:17:41 PM »

My mom says thanks for the nice comments on her picture. She woke me up at 4 a.m. to get that. Oy.

That Geico commercial was just on and Kung Fu Fighting is running through my head. Argh!!!!
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jane

« Reply #167 on: May 27, 2004, 07:32:42 PM »

Matt H, such a brilliant idea.  Why can't the studio heads think like you? :D

I always wondered why Ali MacGraw was cast in WINDS OF WAR instead of an unknown.  That goes for her co-star Jan-Michael Vincent.

Goodnight.

HollyLynn

« Reply #168 on: May 27, 2004, 07:41:46 PM »

What a week!  I don't have much to say except that tomorrow is devoted to cleaning and laundry...I have the next four days off!

Question:  What is you favorite cleaning/working music?  I tend to prefer disco, Dorthy Donnagan (a fantastic piano player), and being a child of the 80's, the soundtrack to the movie Footloose.  Any suggestions?  

Cheers!  ;D
HollyLynn

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #169 on: May 27, 2004, 07:47:34 PM »

Quickie Sting story:

Back when I was working at the Alex Theater, oompityfratz years ago and before it was restored as a legit theater, we had a reprise showing of The Sting for a week or so.  I was able to get my parents in, comped.  They hadn't seen a film in a theater for years, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Glad to say it got them back into the habit of going out together, "dating" as it were.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #170 on: May 27, 2004, 07:49:17 PM »

My favorite cleaning music is whatever CD I can find that runs about the same amount of time as the washing machine.  That way I don't forget to change loads.

Works for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #171 on: May 27, 2004, 07:55:04 PM »

Speaking of cleaning, or at least chores, tomorrow I really must:

Bake another batch of cookies, this time without nuts...
Do a lot of shopping...
Get the cole slaw made...
Finish the potato salad...
Wash clothes.

And we have to get the "Parking Sticker" for this summer.  Parking in downtown Rehoboth Beach is at a premium, so they charge for parking priveleges.  And then just try finding a parking space!  A few years ago, when we were borrowing our friend's condo once a year, we'd get a temporary "sticker" every year, valid for a week, and switch the sticker between der B's car and his son-in-law's, depending on how much room we needed.  Loan out our sticker these days?  I don't think so!

François de Paris

« Reply #172 on: May 27, 2004, 08:07:05 PM »

For those interested; an in-depth article from Animation World Magazine about the newly available dvd Walt Disney Treasures: On The Front Line:

http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=pageone&article_no=2102&page=1

5 pages in all :D

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #173 on: May 27, 2004, 08:11:22 PM »

Mr William Orr-

The name of Fritz Lang's movie is METROPOLIS.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #174 on: May 27, 2004, 08:19:59 PM »

Good Evening!

Home from the show... Good show.

Not much else to say right now...

So...

Back in a bit...

Hmm... Some home fries would be good... Or at least some of those Terra Yukon Gold Potato Chips I have in the kitchen... THREE varieties even!!!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #175 on: May 27, 2004, 08:30:15 PM »

Dan-in-Toronto, candy in the guest bathroom.  At first I laughed at the idea, but on second thought it is very sweet-no pun intended.  Has anyone ever mistaken the candy for fancy soap? :D

Better that than mistaking the fancy soap for candy! :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jason

« Reply #176 on: May 27, 2004, 09:09:10 PM »

Home from CAROLINE, OR CHANGE. I think I need to see/hear it again to really be able to absorb all that happened, but I'm pretty certain that it is the most unique, intelligent "musical" running on Broadway right now. I use the term "musical" lightly, as it is really an opera, but I won't quibble about that right now.

Ms. Tonya Pinkins, aside from being a truly delightful woman (we met with her backstage in her dressing room), was a revelation onstage. Her 11 o'clock number was riveting. Now I can see why she's become the Tony darling. She's showing signs of wear and tear, I'm afraid...she cracked several times, which is more a sign of vocal fatigue than bad technique. I think she needs to slow down her schedule and allow herself to rest before the Tony Awards, but she was still marvelous. The young lady who plays her daughter--Anika Noni Rose--was unbelievable. I don't know how old she really is, but she just blew me out of the water. I hope she wins her Tony...she has earned one.

The score is difficult to take in on first hearing, but I know with repeated listenings, it will become one of the most appreciated scores in my collection. The lyrics are VERY poetic and sometimes a bit hard to swallow, but some of them just made your heart break and create a sense of loneliness and dispair that can bring you to tears. During her big number, "Lot's Wife," she gets very angry--raising her fists to God, not understanding why her life is as difficult as it is. It's very "I'm Telling You I'm Not Going." Then there's a 180-degree turn in the music and she sings very quietly,  "Murder me, God. Murder my dreams so that I won't want anymore." Gut-wrenching, I tell you.

So now, having seen it, I have a tough time deciding which show I think should win for Best Musical.

But Rico went a bit too far,
Tony sailed across the bar
and then the punches flew
and chairs were smashed in two.
There was blood and a single gunshot
but just who shot who?
At the Copa!...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #177 on: May 27, 2004, 09:12:29 PM »

I want to put an interesting topic on the table, then must get back to work... Just read that Gwyneth Paltrow is going to play Marlene Dietrich in a biopic. In the article it said that Louis Malle was developing a Dietrich bio to star Uma Thurman. That project died with Malle, (John Guare was to have written it.) So - who do you think would make a better screen Dietrich -- Gwyneth or Una (or someone else of your choice)? And - do you think it's possible to portray someone as iconic? (AND how can you possibly take it seriously and not think of Madeline Kahn as you watch?)

Charles Pierce
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

mrkdl73

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: May 27, 2004, 09:26:09 PM »

Hello.

I'm tired and with headache and don't know have any great caper flicks in mind, but I at least wanted to say this much.

I'm also processing a "what if", but I can't decide if I should do Kern/Hammerstein writing "Dolly" or Herman writing "Show Boat".

And this could be why I have a headache.

Good night.

Tomovoz

« Reply #179 on: May 27, 2004, 09:45:49 PM »

Beautiful early morning photo DRs Sandra & Laura. I hope you got to have a sleep later.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up