Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BLACK-AND-WHITE  (Read 11376 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: BLACK-AND-WHITE
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2011, 11:43:18 AM »

There are actually two Criterion editions, anamorphic and non-anamorphic.  I own the first (non-anamorphic) release.

Do you know if there are other differences?  Different bonus material, perhaps?

According to Amazon, Aspect Ratio of the original 1999 release is 1.85:1 and on the 2006 release, it's 1.78:1.  Is that really a big difference?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:46:24 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2011, 11:45:12 AM »

Josh Duhamel, a Minot, ND native was interviewed by Entertainment Tonight for people to help Minot.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Laura

« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2011, 11:49:49 AM »

"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Laura

« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2011, 11:54:05 AM »

I'm walking my dog yesterday morning.  This woman from YNN stops me and asks if I want to be interviewed by the local news.

The subject: How to care for your lawn during the Texas drought.

http://austin.ynn.com/content/279059/tips-to-help-keep-your-yard-alive-during-drought

The only thing I know about lawn care is how to turn on my automatic sprinkling system (My wife knows how to program it; I don't.) and how to write a check to our gardener, which my wife also does.

;D

Very nice. Was that all taped in your yard?
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2011, 11:57:04 AM »

I'm walking my dog yesterday morning.  This woman from YNN stops me and asks if I want to be interviewed by the local news.

http://austin.ynn.com/content/279059/tips-to-help-keep-your-yard-alive-during-drought

The only thing I know about lawn care is how to turn on my automatic sprinkling system (My wife knows how to program it; I don't.) and how to write a check to our gardener, which my wife also does.

;D

Very nice. Was that all taped in your yard?

In my front yard.
You can dream…or you can do.

FJL

« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2011, 11:58:26 AM »

I must perk up since I'm going out to dinner later. 

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2011, 11:59:22 AM »

Now we know the truth about reality show audiences

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/sharpeyed-viewers-catch-master-chef-faking-a-huge-crowd--3229

Nothing like cooking the audience
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2011, 12:00:09 PM »

I wish there was a way to send the water from here down there.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2011, 12:00:33 PM »

The outflows from Garrison are dropping so that is good news

Laura

« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2011, 12:05:22 PM »

Was that the watering expert watering your plants?
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Laura

« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2011, 12:05:42 PM »

You have a very pretty yard. Do you get butterflies?
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2011, 12:08:29 PM »

Donations can now be mailed to the Red Cross at PO Box 456, Minot, ND, 58701-0456.

George

« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2011, 12:28:15 PM »

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

George

« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2011, 12:36:51 PM »

I love black-and-white movies, though I think that some movies that were made in black-and-white  back in the 30s and 40s should have been made in color (e.g. YANKEE DOODLE DANDY, THE SEA HAWK).

I think the problem with black-and-white movies made during the past 40 years is that many of them were actually shot on color stock, therefore they look "soft".  The blacks are not not as rich as they were in earlier movies.

I remember reading a few years ago (I think) about some film maker who wanted to make a black and white film, but he wanted to use actual b&w film stock and not remove the color from a film filmed in color.  All I remember is that he was (at the time) having a very hard time trying to find b&w film stock.  I don't remember if he was able to find any or if he actually made the film...or who he even was.  I always wondered if it really made a difference, but I guess it does.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:41:59 PM by George »

Jennifer

« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2011, 12:38:57 PM »

I guess I won't be exercising today. Raining hard all day. Same with yesterday. Supposed to be the same tomorrow. :(

George

« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2011, 12:41:06 PM »

George, thanks to your PM of a few days ago, I now finally have SMITH.  Thank you.

I'm glad!  I never got a response from the place that I mentioned. :-\

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2011, 12:48:59 PM »

George, the difference between the two editions is that the first is not anamorphically enhanced.  Therefore the 1.85:1 image plays out in a "window box", i.e., there are black bars on all four sides.  The anamorphically enhanced version will take up the full screen size on your 16x9 television, hence it's listed as 1.78:1, though the film's OAR is 1.85:1, so you'll be missing just a tiny smidge of image (nothing to get concerned about--typically even 1.85:1 Blu-rays are overscanned to play at 1.78:1).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2011, 01:07:57 PM »

George, the difference between the two editions is that the first is not anamorphically enhanced.  Therefore the 1.85:1 image plays out in a "window box", i.e., there are black bars on all four sides.  The anamorphically enhanced version will take up the full screen size on your 16x9 television, hence it's listed as 1.78:1, though the film's OAR in 1.85:1, so you'll be missing just a tiny smidge of image (nothing to get concerned about--typically even 1.85:1 Blu-rays are overscanned to play at 1.78:1).

Thanks for the info.  I didn't think that the difference between 1.78 and 1.85 would matter that much, but having it anamorphically enhanced is worth it.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2011, 01:29:27 PM »

Was that the watering expert watering your plants?

No
You can dream…or you can do.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2011, 01:51:56 PM »

Tried uploading and got tossed out again -  Jose lets see if I did this right

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2078729055264&set=a.2078727975237.2122057.1456144221&type=1&theater
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2011, 01:52:59 PM »

I do not think so

vixmom

« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2011, 01:53:50 PM »

well it is time to get ready to go

KevinH

« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2011, 02:41:54 PM »

Sorry I can't see your pictures, vixmom.

KevinH

« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2011, 02:48:55 PM »

I'm going to NY in the morning.  Another last-minute decision.  The airfare would have been over $500 at this late date!  And amtrak was about $300 for the times I wanted.  So I'm going to try boltbus again.  I just hope I don't get caught in a torrential downpour while waiting for the bus this time!

Ginny

« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2011, 02:54:27 PM »

Cousins arrived a couple of hours ago and we're about to go to The Meadows for dinner - bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

KevinH

« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2011, 02:58:56 PM »

Going to see Silence the Musical, with Mr. Barrett, at 10:30 pm tomorrow (I know: late!  I hope I can take a nap on the bus).   And I was thinking of seeing Celebrity Autobiography beforehand.  Any New Yorkers like to join me for either or both shows?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2011, 03:26:52 PM »

;D

That's pretty cool, Druxy!

That was.  :)

Jane

« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2011, 03:30:26 PM »

Jane

« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2011, 03:32:10 PM »

I had a nice 30 minute hike before PT then over an hour walk after.  It has been awhile since I've walked along the creek inside the park.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up