Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: [title of notes]  (Read 8582 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: [title of notes]
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2011, 02:20:09 PM »

I got lots of CDs in today's post: the 1964 Lincoln Center MERRY WIDOW, the Patrice Munsel-Robert Merrill CAROUSEL, the Lehman Engel-Jack Cassidy-Portia Nelson ON YOUR TOES, the 2011 concert of KNICKERBOCKER HOLIDAY, and CATCH ME IF YOU CAN OBC.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2011, 02:23:30 PM »

!!! Page 3 Dance !!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2011, 02:24:19 PM »

Good day one and all!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2011, 02:24:28 PM »

Wow! 13 Guests at the moment: 4 here, 9 elsewhere. Who'da thunk it?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2011, 02:24:36 PM »

Happy Birthday Mark!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2011, 02:25:19 PM »

and if you criminal tendencies, electromagnetism will bust you every time

http://www.kfgo.com/fargo-moorhead-news.php?ID=0000004613

Laura

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2011, 02:33:04 PM »

Jeanne is correct. I was watching the television movie Brigadoon someone posted, and I asked if people thought it would make a good revival. It certainly does have some nice music.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2011, 02:33:19 PM »

My head is feeling better. Thanks, Jane.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2011, 02:35:50 PM »

If anyone wants to help Minot, here is another site

http://centerforcommunitygiving.com/

Laura

« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »

It is cloudy out today, so maybe I have a weather headache.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »

tod

Starlight Express
Les Miz

Ditto and ditto!  And...

Beauty and the Beast (on Broadway)
Sunday in the Park with George (the Broadway revival videoscreen set that was used in Seattle)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2011, 03:37:01 PM »

Get me off this damn page.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2011, 03:37:50 PM »

Back from what turned into a five and a half hour session - more later.  Did a quick jog, which is all I had time for, and must now shower before people start arriving for rehearsal.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2011, 03:40:02 PM »

Laura I'm glad you are feeling better.

Laura

« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2011, 04:00:50 PM »

Thanks. I believe I will take another dose of ibuprofen. I feel it starting to come back. The weather is changing. Maybe our monsoon will be here in a few days.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2011, 04:12:19 PM »

I hope all your suffering isn't wasted & that monsoon arrives.

Laura

« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2011, 04:13:43 PM »

Me too!

KevinH

« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2011, 04:26:06 PM »

Happy Birthday, Mark!

Laura

« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2011, 04:36:03 PM »

Ack!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another wildfire in Arizona! Copper Creek.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2011, 04:42:11 PM »

Back from a loverly lunch with the ever-charming Miss Rosemary Ashe, She gave me a copy of her CD "Serious Cabaret."

I must get this!!!

KevinH

« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2011, 04:52:19 PM »

Here's my New York report:  I got to Union Station in DC in plenty of time for my Boltbus.  Unfortunately, it left an hour late and took over an hour longer than scheduled.  I got to my hotel at about 6 pm.   

Since I  wasn't really sure how to go by subway and didn't have a lot of time to get lost, I took a cab to the Gramercy Theater for Celebrity Autobiography.  The show consists of actors/comedians reading excerpts from autobiogaphies of famous people, without changing a word.   It was really funny.   The "readers" were Sharon Gless, Michael Urie, Mario Cantone, Mo Rocca, Rachel Dratch, Kristen Johnston and the two people who came up with the idea.

Mario Cantone did some great impressions of Liza, Barbra and Richard Burton.  Rachel Dratch was very funny reading Ethel Merman's book.  Oh , and Mario read from Susan Lucci's book --it was about the night she won her Emmy Award.   The finale consisted of the books of Debbie Reynolds, Elizabeth Taylor and Eddie Fisher being read.   They wrote about the same incident but had different versions.    I think Ivana Trump's would win for most obnoxious---she says something like she's a regular person even though she can go anywhere she wants and buy whatever she fancies.     

It was  almost 10 pm when the show was over and I had to make my way to Silence, the Musical.

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2011, 05:06:29 PM »

DR Jennifer congratulations on the mail delivery!!!!

It was a long two weeks!  I'll bet I have some stuff backlogged who knows where. Hopefully all the mail they have will arrive this week.

Laura

« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2011, 05:08:50 PM »

I bet it is mostly junk mail, Jennifer.

KevinH

« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2011, 05:15:29 PM »

I took another cab to the Theater 80 St Marks for Silence, the Musical.   I got to the theatre shortly after 10--the 8 pm audience was just leaving at about 10:20!   I don't know how the actors do two shows so close together.

What can I say about the show?  It's hilarious and outrageous.  I can't even write the titles of some of the songs, since this is a family site!   The whole cast is hilarious.   Brent sounded great and was very funny.  The show is really focused on the lead actress, though, who plays Clarice.  Her name is Jenn Harris --I'm laughing to myself right now just thinking about her.   She does an exaggerated impersonation of Jodie Foster from the movie, along with her pronunciation of  "sh" for "s, " as in "yesh."   I really wish I had seen the movie more recently so I would have gotten more of the references.   

I saw Brent only briefly after the show, since by now it was about 1 a.m.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2011, 05:23:58 PM »

Laura, to offer an opinion on your question from yesterday, I agree that it would tough to revive Brigadoon on Broadway, but I think it would be a good TV production, if you had the right people.  As much as I enjoyed the TV version, it wasn't as good as it should have been and neither was the Gene Kelly version.

Television version!  What a great idea.  Starring Matthew Broderick and Debra Messing.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

KevinH

« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2011, 05:27:36 PM »

On Sunday I tried my luck at the Book of Mormon lottery, but lost.  I think I"ve entered the Wicked lottery about 25 times and have never won, so I'm used to not winning.

I went to see The Normal Heart matinee.  It really is a powerful play.  The acting was terrific.    When the cast came out for the curtain call, not one smiled.   Of course it was appropriate, but it was just so unusual to see that when people are cheering and applauding.

Later I went to see Master Class , which is in previews.   It stars Tyne Daly and Sierra Boggess.  I didn't really know what to expect.  I had a vague idea of what it was about, but didn't realize that "Maria Callas" would be talking to the audience as if they were students!  The show was very enjoyable and Sierra really showed off her lovely voice.   For those interested, here she is singing  with Julian Ovenden, who's now in Death Takes a Holiday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lwp-F4tM6Q

I'm disappointed I never saw her in Love Never Dies in London last year when I was in England.

KevinH

« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2011, 05:30:03 PM »

Speaking of Brigadoon, I believe there's a pretty great recording with DR elmore's beloved Rebecca Luker, Judy Kaye and a certain "BB!"

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2011, 05:30:18 PM »

Our DN/G (dear niece/goddaughter) Lauren joined us for dinner and now Rob's helping her with her physics homework.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2011, 05:30:48 PM »

Speaking of BRIGADOON (the film version), one of it's stars, actress Elaine Stewart, passed away yesterday at age 81 in Beverly Hills. She had been ill for quite some time.

Hey, Mikey, maybe her husband is available!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:11:22 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2011, 05:31:26 PM »

Hmmmm....for me Brigadoon is a pretty boring show with some crazy accents.....and one or two nice songs....a revival....on Broadway....I wouldn't invest in it....but someone might....

I would hate to think about a "rethinking" of the material.....it might be disastrous - but there is somebody out there with a "concept", I am sure.

It could be set in a post-apocalyptic future--2147!  Brigadoon reappears after another hundred years absence. The Earth is now overrun with irradiated flesh-eating zombies.  Only a few pockets of humanity survive.  Two human eco-scientist/soldiers stumble upon Brigadoon and rediscover simple basic pleasures such as dancing and falling in love.  They must decide whether to join the citizens of Brigadoon and remain with them forever or to harvest their body parts to guarantee the continuation of the human species.
I would pay to see that! Toss in a vampire or two and some Frank Wildhorn updates.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up