Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GLORIOUSLY GLORIOUS VERY LONG WEEKEND  (Read 22295 times)

Jason

Re:THE GLORIOUSLY GLORIOUS VERY LONG WEEKEND
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2004, 07:16:22 AM »

Shakalaka Barnum!

I'm bored at work. Where is everyone?

Hey...if you happen to see the most beautiful girl that walked out on me
Tell her I'm sorry...
Tell her I need my baby...
Won't you tell her that I love her...

Ben

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2004, 07:22:22 AM »

Jason, you ARE the devil spawn.;-)

Hey, y'all (I can't do Southern, sorry). Did you know that apparently, Mr. Arnold Brockman has been with us for quite a while? Just checking.

Hmm, I couldn't get that smilie to post where I wanted it to post so it looks the way it does which is pathetic.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 07:24:00 AM by Ben »

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2004, 07:30:39 AM »

And while we are on the subject of DVD entertainment I have heard rumors that in October Universal will be releasing DVD sets of the old Mummy films, the Invisible Man films and the Black Lagoon Creature films! Hurray and about time I say!! Of course it is still just a rumor

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2004, 07:32:17 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Arnold!

I saw THE TIN DRUM shortly after it won the Oscar for Best Foreign Film. I found it totally engrossing and wonderful. 20 years ago, of course, and I only have faded memories of it, but I did think it was marvelous back then. Compared to so much dreck that we get nowadays, it would probably seem transcendent now.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2004, 07:34:50 AM »

DR MBarnum, that would be great for Universal to release those others, particuarly the Creature films since the only one I've ever seen or own is the original. The two sequels have always seemed to get past me.

I'm sure they WILL release them eventually. I understand the Legacy Collections did very well sales-wise for them.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2004, 07:37:00 AM »

Friday Media Alert:

CD - THE GIRL WHO CAME TO SUPPER (OBC) along with continuing to enjoy BOUNCE (OCR).

DVD - MASTER & COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD (a friend is taking a dayy off work and coming here this afternoon to see it since he didn't see it in the theater.)

Also, the Disney tins.

laserdisc - THE THIN MAN GOES HOME

DVR - last Sunday's QUEER AS FOLK waiting to be transferred over to a DVD-RAM.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2004, 07:41:25 AM »

What kind of cereal?

Original Kashi "Just Friends" Cereal. You happy now? (Earlier I'd had some not so esoteric dry Cheerios. ....Can cereal be esoteric? Sure. Why not?)

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2004, 07:43:26 AM »

DR MattH, REVENGE OF THE CREATURE is my favorite of the Creature films...John Agar...John Bromfield...Lori Nelson...and even Clint Eastwood! CREATURE WALKS AMONG us is not too shabby either, although many people don't care for it. I like it mainly for the cast of Rex Reason, Gregg Palmer and the lovely Leigh Snowden.

Universal really has a treasure trove of old movies of all genres and I do hope that they continue releasing them. I would love to see more of the Audie Murphy westerns and those nifty 1940s Inner Sanctum films on DVD.

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2004, 07:44:35 AM »

Original Kashi "Just Friends" Cereal. You happy now? (Earlier I'd had some not so esoteric dry Cheerios. ....Can cereal be esoteric? Sure. Why not?)

Mmmm...I love those Kashi cereals!

I recently bought a box of the low carb Special K and it is quite tasty!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2004, 07:49:29 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR ARNOLD M BROCKMAN!

DVD:  Moon Over Broadway listening to the Commentary Track, and NORTH BY NORTHWEST!  One of my favorite Hitchcock films.

CD:  Annette Sings Golden Surfin' Hits....I love it when she sings: "And if my woody breaks down on me somewhere on my surf route, I'll strap my board to my back and hitch a ride in my wet suit!"  Whew...

VHS:  WB Detective shows courtesy DRMBarnum!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2004, 07:51:58 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY,

ARNOLD M. BROCKMAN!

(You must be NEW here!)
[/size][/color][/b]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jason

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2004, 07:58:41 AM »

Just ordered a ticket for the 3:45 showing of "The Day After Tomorrow" at the AMC Empire 25 in Times Square. For those of you who don't live in New York, or those who DO and haven't been to a movie in a while, I'd like to point out that they have quietly raised the price of a ticket to $10.50! I can eat two meals off of $10.50. And, knowing me, I'll spend another $10 on a drink and a snack of some sort. Maybe I'll go to Duane Reade and get snacks and beverages BEFORE the movie. I'll save some that way... And while I realize the movie has received bad reviews from most critics, I'm going just to have some fun. Not to think...not to critique...just to enjoy being out. And I can still be home by 6:00!

dlevy

• What is it, fish?
    • It's dlevy!
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2004, 08:09:16 AM »

I've got a little something in my DVD player called Naked Space, AKA The Creature Wasn't Nice, AKA Kimmel's Nudie Follow-Up...  Now that I've finally see it - and I know it's not "Ask BK Day" - I just need to know...  What happened?  The film on the dvd is clearly not the film you set out to make!

(It's been a big binge week for CDs, too.  Just picked up most of the Prism OCR re-issues.  Love the Call Me Madam, Babes in Arms and Anything Goes discs.  Disappointed with the sound quality on King and I and Porgy.  The others are fine.  Also listening to a new Carpenters curiosity that compiles tracks from their TV performances that includes Richard and Karen's take on "You're Just In Love" and other oddities.)

dlevy

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2004, 08:24:29 AM »

Yes, Universal has those marvelous Deanna Durbin movies, too, which we'll be getting a taste of this summer. Can't wait to see how wonderful they look on DVD. The tapes look pretty good on their own.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2004, 08:26:28 AM »

I'm sure some cable channel somewhere has the rights to the CREATURE movies (TCM maybe since they show other Universal films), but I have just never been able to get them.

Just like MAYTIME which took me years and years to finally have the stars and planets in line so I could record it and finally see it.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2004, 08:32:36 AM »

Good morning, Dear Readers!  A very Happy Friday to everyone (except Tomovoz and BEEKAY who have already moved on to Saturday).

DVD Player:  The other 14 Abbott and Costello films that I haven’t watched that are part of Volume 1 and 2 of the Best of…. Series.

CD Player (car):  Annie Get Your Gun with Bernadette and Tom

CD Player (home):  Rehearsal CD of "What Has Happened" from Little Mary Sunshine (This is one musical that I had on LP, that I will NOT be replacing with a CD)

CD player (work):   ----------------------

VCR:  Adult-themed entertainment

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2004, 08:34:49 AM »

DR Jason, why is it so hard to get a movie ticket?  And can't you always buy tickets in advance?

I guess I'm just used to life in the suburbs where movie theatres are a plenty.  But if we show up 45 minutes early, we can always get tickets (except on rare occasions - i remember seeing Passion of The Christ being sold out a lot).

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2004, 08:35:52 AM »

Without even reading the previous posts (but having read today's notes, I hasten to add, it being a sin--a sin, I tell you--not to do so), I will jump right into the fray with a

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :D [size=23]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ARNOLD M. BROCKMAN!![/size]  :D [/glow][/move]

And congratulations on being the only one to hazard a guess on my trivia question of yesterday.  But:

Wrong ongongongong!!!!!!!!!!

The correct answer is Die Tausend Augen des Dr. Mabuse (the Thousand Eyes of Dr. Mabuse), which was based on the novel Mr. Tot Achetas Mil Okulojn (Mr. Tot Buys a Thousand Eyes) by Lang's friend, the Polish film director and writter Jan Fethke.

Fethke wrote a number of classic Esperanto science-fiction novels under the pen name of Jean Forge, most of them comic social satires, and they have remained in print since he first began writing in the 20's.

Sliver was, of course, a rip-off of the idea, although it had the original concept of concentrating the plot on Sharon Stone's under-garments.

Metropolis, you see, was and remains science fiction.  Although I constantly see reports on the Science channel of attempts to develop flying cars for consumer use and predictions that soon our cities' air space will look just like Lang's concept, this has fortunately not become a reality.  Exactly what I want is for those people talking on their cell-phones and weaving in and out of lane on the parkway to be flying over my house.  Oh yes, that is exactly what I want.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 08:37:00 AM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2004, 08:43:05 AM »

Media check:

DVD: Kill Bill Volume

CD player: Don Juan,
french

VCR: last night's Jay
Leno

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2004, 08:43:34 AM »

HollyLynn, to answer your question from last night- I just like something upbeat to keep me moving.  Often I put on “Big Band” music.  If I’m ironing I like something more mellow.  WWII songs or classical music are nice.  When I work out I always listen to Billy Joel.

mrkdl73, hope you are feeling better today.

Poor Sandra, I think you are being sent a message, it’s time to get over your cherry coke addiction. ;)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ARNOLD M. BROCKMAN!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2004, 08:51:50 AM »

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR READER ARNOLD M. BROCKMAN WHO HAS BEEN WITH US FOR QUITE SOME TIME!

We are hoping for a cake report tonight!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2004, 08:55:21 AM »

First things first:

Happy birthday to....Arnold M. Brockman, was it?....who's....??....oh!  Really?  Ah, ... "Who's been with us a long time."

(Tongue firmly planted in cheek, of course.  Happy Birthday, Arnold!)

In my VCR:  "The Loved One," letterboxed (off TCM).

In my CD: "The Shoes of the Fisherman" (in all its gigantic, stupendous, splendiferousness) and "The Swan" (a miraculous score for a beaut of a love story that could not be filmed today).

In my DVD: Nothing right now -- On deck:  All the new Disneys, the Looney Tunes boxed set, the remainder of the first two seasons of "Frasier", and the boxed set of "Marilyn Monroe: The Diamond Collection."
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 08:59:02 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2004, 08:57:01 AM »

DRMATTH - ALL of the Creature movies are interesting.  Like MBARNUM, I think my favorite is Revenge of the Creature, although Creature Walks Among Us is pretty good, too.

I think it is a bit strange in REVENGE when the Creature is put in the tank with ocean fish...since if he is a Lagoon creature, he would be a fresh rather than a salt water creature, but then Lori Nelson is the icthyologist, not me.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2004, 08:59:34 AM »

Does anyone still wear          a hat?

You could at least acknowledge I answered your question the first time you asked. :)

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2004, 09:09:04 AM »

As to HollyLynn's question from yesterday, also, I am much like Jane in that I often will put in Big Band music whilst doing my household chores. I enjoy something jumpin and movin! Bollywood, disco, or some Cuban music also plays while I clean and sweep and scrub.

Jane

« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2004, 09:09:40 AM »

DVD player-Ramar of the Jungle.  Does anyone remember this early fifties TV show?  Last night we watched an episode and kept laughing.  My question is why does Willie, Ramar’s African assistant sound like Tonto?  There is one scene where he is given a long set of directions to a location, then asked to translate to a guide, another African.  I’m sure Willy wasn’t speaking any African language—more like a cross between Klingon & dialogue from the movie “Three Men & a Baby”, and who knows what made up language the guide responded in, but the translation was only eight words!  ;D

At the moment, not even the radio on.  Keith is making business calls.  When he is done it will be my turn.  

Jennifer, cute little birthday guy.

Beekay is that your dog?

dlevy it’s nice to see you posting. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2004, 09:13:48 AM »

dlevy: Nice to see you here.  I've written about this topic many times - basically the film was taken away and totally recut by butchers who were trying to be "with it" and make it just like Airplane, which had come out and suddenly all comedies had to be like that.  Only The Creature Wasn't Nice (its original and better title) wasn't designed to be like that - it was designed to be linear and a quite literal spoof of Alien and the movies Alien was derived from.  In the original version, the crew doesn't get to the planet for about twenty minutes - those twenty minutes are spent doing something that is radical: Getting to know the characters and their relationships.  That's what makes comedy, not jumbling scenes all around so that they have no point.  In the Naked Space cut you get to know no one and we're to the planet in five minutes and THEN you get all these scenes which slow the picture down because they come too late.  They add all that stock footage from other movies which just calls attention to the fact that they were throwing in everything they could.  While I wouldn't say that my version was/is perfect (had I had another three weeks and a new creative editor I could have made it perfect - the original editor was really bad), when people see it NOW it's a revelation to them, because, funnily, time has been good to my version.  Comedy based on character will always age well and my version seems better now than it did then.  I'll give you a perfect example of how stupid these people were - when we had several previews of my version, the film started out with two of the biggest laughs I have ever heard in a movie theater - as big or bigger than any laugh in Nudie Musical.  One of those scenes is gone completely, and one has been moved to the middle of the film where it is no longer funny (it was funny because it came out of nowhere being the second scene of the film (after the credits).  Now, you might say I'm being egotistical or mis-remembering how big these two laughs were, but, guess what?  I taped the first preview showing and I have the proof.  

What is funny about all of this is that the film as it stands has its fans.  I never understand that, but there are people who really like it (and many who really hate it).  At some point my plan is to put out a new DVD with both cuts - a properly-framed version of the release cut, and my cut which, of course, would have lesser quality (it only survives on three quarter inch tape) but I think people would be fascinated to see just how a film can be changed to crap in the editing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2004, 09:14:30 AM »

And speaking of Universal films which should be out on DVD, my most wanted of their sci-fi/horror films is The Incredible Shrinking Man.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2004, 09:18:53 AM »

Oh, and one other thing that should tell you how stupid these people were: Their voice of the computer is this hip-sounding (for then - but not quite) DJ-type who spouts totally unfunny dialogue written by someone other than me.  Would you like to know who the original voice was?  Well, I'll tell you who the original voice was - only an Academy-award-winning actor named Broderick Crawford, who was hilarious, as the computer was just like his character on Highway Patrol - pushy, annoying and brusque.  You can see it all during their cut - people are REACTING to Broderick's lines and it makes no sense because the lines being spouted are nice and bland and stupid.

Jason

« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2004, 09:23:57 AM »

DR Jason, why is it so hard to get a movie ticket?  And can't you always buy tickets in advance?

Yes, you can get tickets in advance, which is what I did today, but in the case of new movies like THE PASSION OF CHRIST or VAN HELSING, they all seem to sell out very quickly. Since it's a holiday weekend and the movie just opened today, I'm sure that THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW will be sold out all weekend long. And to think, the Loew's and AMC (24 screens) cineplexes are directly across the street from one another. I can't imagine how they stay in business (I guess by raising ticket prices to $10.50 a pop), but they're always busy. I suppose location (they're on the corner of 42nd Street and 8th Avenue) has a lot to do with it, too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up