Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: FOLLIES  (Read 9793 times)

FJL

Re: FOLLIES
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2011, 06:20:46 PM »

FJL, the song is too nice to use for someone as crazy-eyed as Michelle Bachmann. I look into those eyes and I see, "Holy c---! Does she really think she should be the leader of the free world? And if she thinks that, what other horrors is she dreaming up?"

Thanks, John G - I just figured I'd give it a try since the views had leveled off the regular way.

FJL

« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2011, 06:23:54 PM »

much of the comped, TKTS, and rushed audience

The TKTS audience is probably different from the other two categories.  They're still paying $70-80 per ticket, and are probably just as tough as the people who use the BroadwayBox discount.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2011, 06:26:12 PM »

Yesterday's barbecue was a group of theater friends that I have worked with on and off over the years.  One guy was telling the story from when we did INHERIT THE WIND together.  He said that one of the joys  of having a small part in the show was that it gave him a great chance every night to watch Clark (Drummond) and me (Brady) create our magic together.

I was stunned that he said it.  And he was sober.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2011, 06:27:03 PM »

Clark is the actor who I am trying to convince to do Druxy's Spencer Tracy one-person show.
“One thing’s universal,

FJL

« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2011, 06:28:10 PM »

Back from various and sundried things.  It has been pouring rain all day (most annoying - no jog), so I took a walk to Times Square and ended up getting a third row center seat for Catch Me If You Can about thirty minutes before curtain.  Always fun to see my pal Linda Hart on stage, although she probably isn't onstage for more than ten minutes in the entire show.  The show is the usual slick Jack O'Brien/Jerry Mitchell machine - it's what they do.  It worked for Hairspray (although I wasn't over the moon), less so for The Full Monty.  This one is strictly by the numbers, features a not very interesting score, and a framing device which renders everything pointless.  Despite the American Idol-like shenanigans of much of the comped, TKTS, and rushed audience, there's simply no there there and it's totally understandable why it's closing at a complete loss.  They're saying it will tour - so now they'll get to lose even more money (and they will).  If Billy Elliot was a disaster on the road (it was and it closed), and that show is a HIT, then what chance does Catch Me If You Can have?  If they think that title is a brand of some sort, they sincerely need to have their sanity checked.

BK, why did you spend the money to go and see CATCH ME IF YOU CAN, knowing that you weren't going to like it?

I actually wonder if, for BK who's not always in NYC, it's more important while he's actually here to see the shows that will likely NOT be touring into his area.

Ginny

« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2011, 06:28:48 PM »

DR Jose - I'm enjoying the wedding photos you've shared on Facebook.  Everyone looks beautiful!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2011, 06:29:28 PM »

Excellent vibes and xylophones for dry days ahead for Bruce!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2011, 06:30:47 PM »

Good Evening!

I've napped. I think.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2011, 06:33:03 PM »

Then David and I joined Barry and his cousin at a nice Chinese place called Ollie's. 

Ollie's-YUM!

Ginny

« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2011, 06:33:33 PM »

Then David and I joined Barry and his cousin at a nice Chinese place called Ollie's. 

Ollie's-YUM!

Ditto!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2011, 06:34:10 PM »

And, yes, I just posted a couple more pictures from the wedding on my Book of Face Page. *I only have my iPad with me this trip, so I'll have to rearrange them once I'm back on the East Coast.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2011, 06:34:12 PM »

Yesterday's barbecue was a group of theater friends that I have worked with on and off over the years.  One guy was telling the story from when we did INHERIT THE WIND together.  He said that one of the joys  of having a small part in the show was that it gave him a great chance every night to watch Clark (Drummond) and me (Brady) create our magic together.

Nice compliment which I'm sure you deserved.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2011, 06:37:20 PM »

Nice pics.  I like how the table seating was done.  Where was the wedding?

DR Jane - The wedding and the reception were held at the San Diego Botanic Garden. It really was the perfect setting for their wedding.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2011, 06:38:28 PM »

Botanical Gardens, no wonder it is so pretty.

The cakes looks scrumptious!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2011, 06:41:34 PM »

Back from various and sundried things.  It has been pouring rain all day (most annoying - no jog), so I took a walk to Times Square and ended up getting a third row center seat for Catch Me If You Can about thirty minutes before curtain.  Always fun to see my pal Linda Hart on stage, although she probably isn't onstage for more than ten minutes in the entire show.  The show is the usual slick Jack O'Brien/Jerry Mitchell machine - it's what they do.  It worked for Hairspray (although I wasn't over the moon), less so for The Full Monty.  This one is strictly by the numbers, features a not very interesting score, and a framing device which renders everything pointless.  Despite the American Idol-like shenanigans of much of the comped, TKTS, and rushed audience, there's simply no there there and it's totally understandable why it's closing at a complete loss.  They're saying it will tour - so now they'll get to lose even more money (and they will).  If Billy Elliot was a disaster on the road (it was and it closed), and that show is a HIT, then what chance does Catch Me If You Can have?  If they think that title is a brand of some sort, they sincerely need to have their sanity checked.

BK, why did you spend the money to go and see CATCH ME IF YOU CAN, knowing that you weren't going to like it?

I suspected I wouldn't like it - but I always keep an open mind and I hoped I would be proven wrong.  I didn't hate it - it was just sort of there.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2011, 06:42:32 PM »

That's a wonderful comment. And I think I'm sober.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Cillaliz

« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2011, 06:43:26 PM »

Great Photos...thanks for sharing.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2011, 06:43:55 PM »

Botanical Gardens, no wonder it is so pretty.

The cakes looks scrumptious!!!

The cake was very good. However, as you can see from the pictures, the server who was in charge of slicing and serving the cake had absolutely no idea how to handle a cake knife. Someone asked why the cake fell apart: "When a cake is so finely made, it will fall apart more when sliced." ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2011, 06:44:34 PM »

Like DR Jeanne, I'm posting from home.  I did make it to the office and the grocery store. That was as far as I wanted to go today as I'm in a "No place like home" mood.  I also love hearing the tales of everyone's travels.  What fun

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2011, 06:45:24 PM »

bk - I'm guessing you went to the Ollie's on 42nd Street (which used to be on 44th Street). Or did you head up to the UWS?
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2011, 06:45:38 PM »

Back from a very long, unnecessarily long, church meeting. The penny-pinchers who don't want to spend a dime on anything were complaining about how the property is being neglected but they refuse to spend any money to clean it up.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Cillaliz

« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2011, 06:45:49 PM »

Sometimes I want an intermission, sometimes I don't.   If the show is good, time flies and I don't notice how long I've been there.  If the show is bad, time crawls and I really want a break!

Cillaliz

« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2011, 06:46:23 PM »

Back from a very long, unnecessarily long, church meeting. The penny-pinchers who don't want to spend a dime on anything were complaining about how the property is being neglected but they refuse to spend any money to clean it up.

Did it have an intermission?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2011, 06:47:27 PM »

bk - BILLY ELLIOT is still on tour, and it is doing quite well. However, it's initial launch, unfortunately, landed in some cities/markets where it didn't catch on with the locals.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2011, 06:48:20 PM »

I didn't realize that you and DR Laura went to the same church. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2011, 06:49:50 PM »

That's a wonderful comment. And I think I'm sober.

I don't know John, haven't you been judging roses?  And I know I need the accent mark, but I suddenly forgot how to access them.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2011, 06:50:19 PM »

From what I understand, Billy Elliot was such a disaster in San Francisco that the tour shut down and cancelled its other engagements - widely reported on ATC and elsewhere, unless they were incorrect.

It was the Ollie's on 42nd St.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2011, 06:51:40 PM »

DR Jose - I'm enjoying the wedding photos you've shared on Facebook.  Everyone looks beautiful!

Thank you, DR Ginny.

As suspected, there were a lot of cameras snapping away throughout the ceremony and reception. Thankfully, their official photographer knew how to deal with relatives and friends of the wedding couple. After she finished with each of the posed shots, she would tell everyone to stay in place so that everyone else could take their own pictures.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2011, 06:55:33 PM »

DR Jose, looks like everyone had a fabulous time at the wedding.  I love the photo of you and your mom

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #119 on: August 14, 2011, 06:55:55 PM »

From what I understand, Billy Elliot was such a disaster in San Francisco that the tour shut down and cancelled its other engagements - widely reported on ATC and elsewhere, unless they were incorrect.

It was the Ollie's on 42nd St.

That is interesting.  The BILLY ELLIOT tour is still in San Francisco for another week, but then the next tour date is not until November.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up