Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IMAGE + SOUND  (Read 12479 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: IMAGE + SOUND
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2011, 03:36:53 PM »

DR DerBrucer I hope you will keep us updated.

Ginny

« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2011, 03:37:13 PM »

Oops, miscount - 58/72 now...

I deleted my post commenting on the improvement.

Have you invited all of the out-of-town quests?  It seems like a large rehearsal dinner.

Yes, DR Jane, anyone who's coming in the night before has been invited to the party.  It's an hors d'oeuvres buffet with the intention that people mingle and get acquainted before the wedding day.  Even if we'd just invited the bridal party, it would be a big party...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2011, 03:51:50 PM »

It's an hors d'oeuvres buffet with the intention that people mingle and get acquainted before the wedding day. 

Well, unless you invited Dolly Levi, my bet is that all the bride's guests will be on one side of the room and the groom's guests on the other.

der Brucer

Of course we could make like Jr, High and play get-acquainted party games.

Hmmm...can you buy engraved stick-on name tags?
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2011, 03:57:19 PM »

...And they cancelled our evening performance.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2011, 03:58:57 PM »

I thought, well, I READ that Irene was arriving in NY today - today is over in New York and it is tonight.  So, when is it now supposed to arrive?  Tomorrow?  And if it doesn't, will it be tomorrow night?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2011, 04:04:53 PM »

The revival of Chicago has moved past A Chorus Line as the 4th longest running show ever. It surpasses A Chorus Line. The original production open in matter of days of ACL and was over shadowed in its time. I saw the original production with everyone but Chita Rivera as she had left the show. It was one of the first Broadway shows I ever saw.

IMHO I think Chicago is better show and it lights of what has happened with public trials on tv and other medium the show has become more relevant than it was when it first opened.

The show keeps on being rediscovered my younger audiences. I read that they get a lot of High School groups seeing it and for man teenagers this is the first exposure to Broadway.

It also helps with the revolving door of actors every 4 months or so. Some well known some not.

I've wondered if this revival would be doing as well as it has been IF...

-it had used the original book and score - Not the streamlined Encores! concert version.
-the movie version of it had tanked.

And as DR elmore pointed out, the producers have been able to keep this show running via some very blatant "Star Casting". Some of the leads come in for a few months, some only come in for a few weeks. However, it is nice seeing that they're starting to feature some relative unknowns lately such as Nikka Graff Lanzarone.

As for it being the first Broadway show for "man [sic] teenagers", the Weisslers have a very good educational program tied into to the show. They will hold a seminar-like presentation during the day, then the students will see either the matinee or evening show. Of course, bringing in Guest Stars such as Usher, Christie Brinkley, Kara DioGuardi (who starts next week), etc., also brings in some audience members who might otherwise not consider seeing a Broadway show.

Thank you for clarifying. I knew something like that and guess I wasn't able to verbalize properly as I new some of the facts, but not all of them
I was never a big "Chorus Line" fan, either. Thought Hamlisch's music was excellent at times, weak at others. But that was mainly because it eclipsed "Pacific Overtures" that year. I heard "Pacific" first, then "Chicago," then "Chorus Line." Still, I loved the movie about casting the revival of "A Chorus Line."

Whew!  I thought you were going to say that you loved the movie version of CHORUS LINE.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2011, 04:05:34 PM »

I thought, well, I READ that Irene was arriving in NY today - today is over in New York and it is tonight.  So, when is it now supposed to arrive?  Tomorrow?  And if it doesn't, will it be tomorrow night?

Well, Irene is abaout 600 miles wide, so it takes it about two full days to pass a given point.

The first reaches of Irene have always be scheduled to reach NYC area Saturday, with the eye making it's grand entrance on Sunday.

der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2011, 04:07:02 PM »

My AFO brace (which I preferr to call an AOL brace because it doesn't really work) is uncomfortable to wear, and does not allow me to walk, even with a cane.  The problem is that, although my foot does flop around, I also have very little control of my entire left leg.  I can do about two to three Frankenstein steps; but that is all.

Darn!  Can you return it & get your money back?

No, it is probably a good thing to use to strengthen my foot and ankle.
“One thing’s universal,

FJL

« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2011, 04:12:45 PM »

As of early  today, they were saying Irene's time in NYC was from 2 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #159 on: August 27, 2011, 04:17:18 PM »

Good Evening!

So... We finished the matinee... Then they announced that the evening performance was cancelled.

...And we had a very good matinee, and a very good audience.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #160 on: August 27, 2011, 04:18:55 PM »

It is nice having a Saturday night off for the first time since June, alas... Oh, Irene!

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #161 on: August 27, 2011, 04:19:22 PM »

Good Evening!

So... We finished the matinee... Then they announced that the evening performance was cancelled.

...And we had a very good matinee, and a very good audience.

So, will you be staying over with Dream Curly?
“One thing’s universal,

DERBRUCER

« Reply #162 on: August 27, 2011, 04:21:07 PM »

And more than a Tree Grows in Brooklyn:

It was just a simple photo from the AOL headline news.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:25:40 PM by DERBRUCER »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: August 27, 2011, 04:22:52 PM »

Mr Ron Paul, another ass running for president, seems to be unhappy about concerns for the current storm situation:
Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul told NBC News on Friday that "there's no magic about" the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). He said that he doesn't see the need for a federal response to Hurricane Irene as the powerful storm makes its way up the east cost.

"We should be like 1900, we should be like 1940, 1950, 1960," said the Texas congressman in weighing in on the matter during a stop in New Hampshire. He regarded FEMA as a "great contribution to deficit financing."

The presidential contender explained that he lives on the Gulf Coast back in the Lone Star State. He said, "We deal with hurricanes all the time. Galveston is in my district."

"We should be coordinated, but coordinated voluntarily with the states," Paul explained. "A state can decide. We don't need somebody in Washington."

There you have it, direct from the horse's something! What would he have done when Galveston had serious hurricane damage in 1900?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 04:24:55 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #164 on: August 27, 2011, 04:24:16 PM »

And now we have a Tornedo warning!!!!!

der Brucer

Maybe I am in Kansas afterall

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #165 on: August 27, 2011, 04:24:48 PM »

That is a disgusting photo.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #166 on: August 27, 2011, 04:25:26 PM »

...And they cancelled our evening performance.

Stay dry & safe!!!

FJL

« Reply #167 on: August 27, 2011, 04:27:20 PM »

So I guess the govt. asked the A.R.T. to cancel the Sunday performance of PORGY AND BESS?

From their site:

We regret to inform you that the Sunday, August 28 matinee performance of The Gershwins’ Porgy and Bess has been cancelled due to the impending storm and concern for our patrons travelling to the area for the performance.  Government officials throughout New England and the east coast have recommended that we cancel the performance. Your ticket purchases will be refunded to you automatically in the manner in which you paid. If you paid by credit card, you will receive a credit. We will mail you a check if you paid by cash or check.

If you would like to attend another performance of The Gershwins’Porgy and Bess, please contact the box office for availability in future performances.

Thank you for your understanding and we apologize for any inconvenience.

NOTE: Saturday's performances of The Donkey Show and The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess will take place as scheduled
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:57:24 PM by FJL »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #168 on: August 27, 2011, 04:30:39 PM »

My drives to and from the theatre was relatively uneventful. Alas, there were still a lot of idiots out there driving like, well, idiots: headlights off, speeding(!), changing lanes without signaling, etc. I'm just glad the winds weren't that bad.

*The worst part of my commute home was the walk from the theatre to the parking garage. The wind picked up and a very heavy downpour started. It literally felt like my umbrella would have carried me away à la Mary Poppins for a few seconds.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #169 on: August 27, 2011, 04:32:15 PM »

Oops, miscount - 58/72 now...

I deleted my post commenting on the improvement.

Have you invited all of the out-of-town quests?  It seems like a large rehearsal dinner.

Yes, DR Jane, anyone who's coming in the night before has been invited to the party.  It's an hors d'oeuvres buffet with the intention that people mingle and get acquainted before the wedding day.  Even if we'd just invited the bridal party, it would be a big party...

I know it is common to invite all the out-of-town guests.  The only time I've been invited we were snowed in & couldn't make the wedding let alone the rehearsal dinner.  My niece didn't invite our side of the family (which my brother asked if that was usual) which was fine.  We had our own party of ten (Bryan would have made eleven).  The bride stopped by for a nice long visit as did her brother later on.  The cousins all got together later after the dinners & hung out at the bar (Bryan included) along with some of my nephew's friends.

There wasn't a rehearsal at all for Bryan's wedding.  The bride & groom went out with friend's the night before.  The parents & brother of the bride went to a baseball game.  Again that left us with my brother & his family which worked out fine since I don't see enough of my family & like when our boys can get together with their cousins.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #170 on: August 27, 2011, 04:33:05 PM »

"We should be like 1900, we should be like 1940, 1950, 1960,"...

Right - bring back Small Pox and Polio!

(And a nice Diptheria epidemic to thin the school population).

der Brucer

I admit I'm a big fan of smaller Federal Government, but one legitimate function for the Feds is to coordinate disaster relief efforts in multi-state disasters.

Jane

« Reply #171 on: August 27, 2011, 04:34:41 PM »

That is a disgusting photo.

I agree, maybe it should be deleted.  What if the Vixter saw it.  BTW is it a water rat?

Jane

« Reply #172 on: August 27, 2011, 04:45:47 PM »

There you have it, direct from the horse's something! What would he have done when Galveston had serious hurricane damage in 1900?

That is an excellent question & I would like to hear his answer.  While there is much I don't agree with regarding his views I have great respect for his integrity, honesty & his economic skills & knowledge. 

Jane

« Reply #173 on: August 27, 2011, 05:10:10 PM »

Atlantic County officials said the shelters they have opened at public schools allow residents to bring their pets, provided the animals are in crates or carriers, though one shelter required that owners keep their pets in vehicles.

Nice though I would expect it is too hot to leave pets in vehicles & illegal.  I couldn't carry Sherlock in a crate  ;)

Jane

« Reply #174 on: August 27, 2011, 05:41:22 PM »

We had a very enjoyable day & evening with Bryan's brief visit home. 

Chef Craig served up a scrumptious meal of Cuban rice with black beans, onions, pepper & I don't know what else; Tofu Jerky with just the perfect smoked flavoring; fried plantains broiled in a yummy butter rum sauce;  sautéed collard greens; and little roasted potatoes with chipotle mayo sauce.  The chipotle is also delish on the jerky.  Craig decided on the menu after I asked him to make something to go with the chipotle I enjoy so very much.

I have been eating the leftovers today. :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2011, 05:46:03 PM »

And... We just got back from a run to Target and CostCo...

Right now, it looks a lot worse than it currently is. There are big rain drops, but the rainfall is actually quite light. We didn't even need an umbrella. There is some wind, but no major gusts. At least not yet. Well, at least not out here in Centreville.

The weather reports on the radio kept talking about how the "worst" is yet to come, however, I could already tell that some of the forecasters have starting to ease up on their dire predictions. Let's hope that continues throughout the overnight hours.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #176 on: August 27, 2011, 05:47:37 PM »

Jose - So if OKLAHOMA does get to NY, who gets to move, the original or replacement people? 

Michael

« Reply #177 on: August 27, 2011, 05:51:54 PM »

9 minutes to a new episode of Doctor Who!!
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #178 on: August 27, 2011, 05:54:29 PM »

Jose - So if OKLAHOMA does get to NY, who gets to move, the original or replacement people? 

Fred - Good question. I don't think there's any "right of first refusal" included in these contracts - but I could be wrong. However, as a matter of courtesy, I'm sure it would be extended to the original cast members. -And, technically speaking, at this point there are only two "originals" who are not currently with this production. However, I think we're up to six replacements.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #179 on: August 27, 2011, 05:55:49 PM »

We had a very enjoyable day & evening with Bryan's brief visit home. 

Chef Craig served up a scrumptious meal of Cuban rice with black beans, onions, pepper & I don't know what else; Tofu Jerky with just the perfect smoked flavoring; fried plantains broiled in a yummy butter rum sauce;  sautéed collard greens; and little roasted potatoes with chipotle mayo sauce.  The chipotle is also delish on the jerky.  Craig decided on the menu after I asked him to make something to go with the chipotle I enjoy so very much.

I have been eating the leftovers today. :)

Needs pork.

Or at least some bacon.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up