Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: LA 2017  (Read 10500 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: LA 2017
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2011, 09:33:52 AM »

I got a really cool Peter Matz album a few months ago when I was madly getting all the Enoch Light Project 3 releases.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2011, 09:34:29 AM »

Methinks Google Translate may need to improve its algorithms:

Opera companies came from Eastern Europe decades ago to Madrid and balanced opera seasons of Teatro de la Zarzuela, which then revolved around the divas, with shows in highlighting the work of a whole and, in particular, quality of orchestra and chorus. Levantaban admiración. They raised admiration. Rara es la que no venía con Boris Godunov como carta de presentación. Rarely is it did not come with Boris Godunov and cover letter. Y todas provocaban admiración, incluso las menos famosas: la Ópera de Varna, de Bulgaria, por ejemplo, en 1978, con Stefan Elenkov, de Boris, y Alexandrina Milcheva, de Marina (no había llegado todavía la moda de las versiones originales y el acto polaco se incluía siempre). And all provoked admiration, even the less famous: Opera Varna, Bulgaria, for example, in 1978, Stefan Elenkov, Boris, and Milcheva Alexandrina, the Navy (it was not yet the fashion of the original versions and Polish act is always included). Como la ópera va por rachas empezaron a llover oleadas de críticas a estas compañías que tanto asombro musical producían, por la sencilla razón de que las puestas en escena olían a naftalina. As the opera goes in spurts began to pour waves of criticism of these companies that both produce musical wonder, for the simple reason that the staging smelled of mothballs. Y así a mediados de la década de los ochenta Piero Faggioni dirigió un Boris con Raimondi en el que la teatralidad impuso unos fascinantes niveles de emoción añadida. And in the mid-eighties led a Faggioni Piero Raimondi Boris theatricality in which the levels imposed a fascinating added excitement. Parecía que se había encontrado la solución adecuada desde la puesta en escena, sin que el escalofrío musical se perdiese. Seemed to have found the right solution from the staging without the musical thrill is lost.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2011, 09:40:23 AM »

David Winters doing "Satisfaction" to some swinging but weird Peter Matz orchestrations....or at least Peter's Orchestra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw6xq0BFzao

Hmmm..none of the other girls can even keep up with Donnie McKechnie.

Goldie Hawn is in there--is that Chelsea Brown on the far left?

Yes I believe that is Miss Brown.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2011, 09:43:12 AM »

I hate it when the right solution from the staging without the musical thrill is lost.

JMK

« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2011, 09:50:46 AM »

Rarely is it did not come with Boris Godunov and cover letter.

I'm sure everyone here has thought that at one time or another.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2011, 10:17:53 AM »

CACTUS FLOWER
VIVA MAX  (Best after quite a few drinks)
And it took A CHORUS LINE to take worst film of a musical away from PAINT YOUR WAGON

Films like KRAKATOA and MAROONED are underwhelming when projected by  letter boxed 16 MM on a portable movie screen – the unhappy lot of those of us who spent most of the ‘60S at sea.

Actually I spent the last part of 1969 in Bath, ME working on the installation and checkout of a new weapons system for the Navy. She was the third of her class, and the first two had failed their qualifying tests miserably – so the Admiral in charge rolled the dice and sent a junior officer who had a reputation for thinking out side the box to get the new fangled computer based contraption working as advertised. My “out of the box” included putting the ship (and crew) on 24 hour per day operating status (which required a wholesale change in the allocation of ship personnel assignments – and a total rewrite of the ship’s Organization Manual), moving the Captain’s battle station from the Bridge to the inside Combat Information Center (and a complete rewrite of the ships Battle Bill to support a new command structure). When we showed up for the critical qualifying trials, the supervising team wanted the organization put back “the way it’s supposed to be”, the Admiral refused, we went to trials that two other ships had failed miserably; we aced them and my “out of the box screwball way” became “the usual way” for the ships to follow.

(The most fun was taking the ship from the shipyard at Bath ME to her homeport of Long Beach CA (via the Panama Canal).

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

FJL

« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2011, 10:19:04 AM »

CACTUS FLOWER
VIVA MAX  (Best after quite a few drinks)
. . .

So do you like the film of VIVA MAX?  A couple of DR's are adapting the Jim Lehrer novel VIVA MAX! into a musical literally as we speak.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:23:08 AM by FJL »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2011, 10:31:32 AM »

Well I guess it will keep them occupied for awhile.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2011, 10:39:58 AM »

On the issue of news coverage:

Whenever there is a developing story, the cable news networks tend to “stay on point” even if there is not at the moment any “new” news (this is to prevent channel shopping by folks trying to keep up with “the latest”). To mark time while events unfold, the producers tend to have their on screen folks concentrate on the most “exciting” elements of the scenario – which does seem like hyping the event; however, if you watch for a while (I’m on news about 18 hrs a day (I sleep with the bedroom TV on the Fox News Channel) you get a generally balanced view of things; however, someone tuning in for 15 minutes or so will probably get hit with a hyped-up recap of the most exciting tidbit available (A potentially storm ravaged Manhattan and it’s consequences to Wall Street and Broadway is a lot more exciting than a report on the potential devastation of soy beans crops in Delaware.)

The news broadcasts regularly mention that the information is projections (that may well change) and that predictions are based on statistical models. They never said NYC would get devastated by a type 2-3 Hurricane; they never said the NYC would be hit by the eye of a Tropical Storm (neither one of which happened); they did say that NYC was most likely going to experience a “significant” weather event, and that precautions should be taken (both of which came to pass).

I spent most of last week stuck in a trailer minding grandlads, and was fated to endure local broadcast TV. I do not think that “The View”, “Oprah” or ‘Judge Judy” give a better insight into reality than does Fox News.

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2011, 10:42:36 AM »

Did the four-mile jog and have printed out more orders.  Awaiting the arrival of Vicki and Joan for what I hope will be a SHORT work session.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2011, 10:51:42 AM »

So do you like the film of VIVA MAX? 

A guilty pleasure.

der Brucer

FJL

« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2011, 10:53:13 AM »

So do you like the film of VIVA MAX? 

A guilty pleasure.

der Brucer

We're adapting directly from the Jim Lehrer novel, which is simply a pleasure, with no guilt.  :)  :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2011, 11:08:02 AM »

I like the movie, but not ALL of the cast.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2011, 11:23:08 AM »

A couple of DR's are adapting the Jim Lehrer novel VIVA MAX! into a musical literally as we speak.

Am I to presume the "couple of DRs" are a couple?

der Brucer

FJL

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2011, 11:30:55 AM »

A couple of DR's are adapting the Jim Lehrer novel VIVA MAX! into a musical literally as we speak.

Am I to presume the "couple of DRs" are a couple?

der Brucer

Skip's not technically a DR, but DR Julie and DR Me are among the team as well.    .

DERBRUCER

« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2011, 11:40:15 AM »

Skip's not technically a DR, but DR Julie and DR Me are among the team as well.    .

I find on-line mention of Skip's efforts, but your
involvement seems a closely guarded secret.

der Brucer

Laura

« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2011, 11:40:16 AM »

When they have trouble finding my veins (which has only happened twice) I ask them to use a butterfly needle.

Of course, this post makes no sense in the context of this page.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

FJL

« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2011, 11:49:04 AM »

I find on-line mention of Skip's efforts, but your
involvement seems a closely guarded secret.

der Brucer

It's on my linkedin profile page, so I'm certainly not keeping it a secret :)

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/fred-landau/7/b3/505

Also, der B, I didn't realize I hadn't added it to my blog profile, so i just added it there

http://www.blogger.com/profile/10189363831080144479

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 11:58:06 AM by FJL »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2011, 11:51:26 AM »

I can recall only one bad experience with a blood test.  The technician seemed like she knew what she was doing, but within hours after the test I had a brown and blue bruise that ran from the crook of my arm to halfway to my wrist.  It was ugly.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Laura

« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2011, 11:54:43 AM »

Don't ever let a student try to take blood. There was a small blood geyser.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2011, 12:03:23 PM »

Today's experience at the lab really has me rattled.  I know I'm not the easiest draw in the world, but taking coumadin requires a check at least once a month to determine dosage.  I will try again tomorrow on my way to meet DN/goddaughter Lauren for our pre-wedding manicures and if it's unsuccessful again I'll call the doctor's office.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2011, 12:05:55 PM »

Yes, I have developed a Pavlovian fear response to blood draws due to so many botched times.  I just tell the phlebotomists right off the bat they have once chance and if they fail I'm out of there.  I also try to drink a LOT of water before I go in so that my veins are extra special full.  :)

Ginny

« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2011, 12:10:58 PM »

Well, DR JMK, it didn't help today that there was some lady out in the hallway ranting and raving about how beat up she was from her experience there earlier...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2011, 12:16:37 PM »

How disappointing!  You're paying for it and  derserve a big geyser!

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2011, 12:32:35 PM »

On the issue of news coverage:

"... if you watch for a while (I’m on news about 18 hrs a day (I sleep with the bedroom TV on the Fox News Channel) you get a generally balanced view of things..."

I pray you will pardon me for saying it, but anyone who is on Fox news 18 hours a day is more likely to be living a koyannisqatsi existence. 

I recommend you watch the BBC.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2011, 12:35:55 PM »

I am reminded of a "Will and Grace" episode.  Stan is in the hospital and everyone thinks he's had a heart attack.  Will, Grace, Jack and Rosario get into a contest to see who Karen will turn to -- in other words, who does she trust more/like best/think most highly of.

Karen learns of this from a doctor who has overheard and sets in motion a series of pranks.

For Grace, she tells her she needs Grace's blood (Grace is deathly afraid of needles).  A student nurse with no experience is brought in to do the deed.  Grace freaks.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2011, 12:44:53 PM »

I recommend you watch the BBC.
Oh sure - reruns of Kitchen Nightmares, Star Trek, and Dr. Who! - they rarely do news.

The only reasonable alternative to Fox for all-day news in CNN.

(I do not spend much time on Fox at night - that time is for entertainment.

der Brucer

And I doubt Philip Glass would score my life - it has too many notes

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »

It rained all night and was very windy. So there was a lot of debris on the ground around the lake today.

It is still a bit windy. But it's a nice sunny day. So much different from yesterday!

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2011, 01:00:12 PM »

Anybody like the twist on BIG BROTHER last night?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2011, 01:02:08 PM »

Anybody like the twist on BIG BROTHER last night?

They played Chubby Checker on BIG BROTHER?

der Brucer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up