Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: CUT. PRINT. OVER THERE.  (Read 12148 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: CUT. PRINT. OVER THERE.
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2011, 02:54:27 PM »

Congrats on the milestone, Ginny, and I'm glad you're having such a wonderful time.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2011, 02:54:56 PM »

Page Three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2011, 02:56:01 PM »

Found a fun one at a used book store today: CD of the original London casts of "The Desert Song," "The New Moon" and something called "The Blue Train" with Bobby Howes and a score by someone named Stolz. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to listen to them later.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2011, 02:56:19 PM »

Ate at too many places today. Now I need a nap.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2011, 03:05:20 PM »

DR Elmore, I've heard there's something called "Taco Bell."

Not in my neighborhood!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2011, 03:06:05 PM »

Lucky you!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2011, 03:07:26 PM »

I scored a pound and a half of okra at the farmer's market today. That will be my dinner. Yum.

I have three flowers on my okra bush in the backyard. It seems I will need to plant more next summer.

John G.

« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2011, 03:14:07 PM »

A gorgeous sign I saw today while driving around. I want it for Christmas with that blue sky permanently in the background. I'm not asking for much.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2011, 03:14:21 PM »

Now for that nap.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2011, 03:19:52 PM »

Laura, of course you can ask.

Laura

« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2011, 03:23:50 PM »

Dear BK,

Why do so many people in the audience laugh when Chino shoots Tony?

It can't be that they are surprised -- we know Chino has a gun. He said he is going to kill Tony. We see him approach Tony and point the gun. They can't be surprised when it goes off.

I've seen the show done twice by professionals. Both times, there is twittering throughout the audience.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2011, 03:25:37 PM »

I went to do the four-mile jog, went about a half-block and came back home - just too tired.  Then I transfered some Chitty stuff we're taking from the Blu and Ray (mostly the Sherman demos), and began doing the edit road map.  I've now got it all done except I have to upload all the stuff from the blu to our iDisk and that will take at least ninety minutes.  Then I can finish the road map.  CD 1's content is done - just have to do CD 2.  CD 1 will contain the original soundtrack album (with the addition of the entr'acte and the main title put back to the beginning where it belongs), followed by the original film main title (which contains sound effects but is much longer than the LP version and therefore worth doing even with the effects.  We'll also present the film mix of the exit music, which sounds completely different than the LP mix.  That will be followed by the "storybook" cover version, with Leroy Holmes conducting, with various singers including Mr. Richard Sherman.  The total running time of CD 1 will probably be close to seventy minutes.

CD 2 will contain all the Sherman demos from the film (about thirty minutes' worth) and then several of the playback tracks used on the set - material that wasn't included on the LP.  These are, of course, in mono, but worth putting on.  And then we'll have a couple of foreign versions of the title song.  I'm sure CD 2 will run around forty to fifty minutes.

Guess I'll try to jog now.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2011, 03:26:52 PM »

I bought an MP3 album off of Amazon yesterday that's Muzak versions of various Bacharach tunes, including a bunch from LOST HORIZON.  The funny part is they hired sound alike singers to mimic B.J. Thomas, Tom Jones and ABC (the 80s-90s version of Always Something There).

Now I know this will strike some as heresy, but I have to say at times Hal David's lyric writing is just lame.  I love him, love the whole Bacharach-David canon, but good lord "big little pussycat eyes" and "that is where the truth always lies."  Come on!

But doesn't he make up for that in the same song with:

"What's new pussycat? Woah, Woah
What's new pussycat? Woah, Woah
Pussycat, Pussycat
You're delicious
And if my wishes
Can all come true
I'll soon be kissing your sweet little pussycat lips!
Pussycat, Pussycat
I love you
Yes, I do!
You and your pussycat lips!"

Amazing that the Broadway show THE LOOK OF LOVE actually found innuendo in that!

:)

I am surprised that Kristin Chenoweth didn't have that song added to PROMISES, PROMISES.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2011, 03:26:53 PM »

Dear BK,

It can't be that they are surprised -- we know Chino has a gun. He said he is going to kill Tony. We see him approach Tony and point the gun. They can't be surprised when it goes off.

I've seen the show done twice by professionals. Both times, there is twittering throughout the audience.

I can tell you that in all the times I've seen the film, no one has EVER laughed.  If they're laughing at a stage version, either the moment is ineptly staged, badly acted, or the audience, as audiences today are wont to do, feel superior to the material (they're not, believe me).

Cillaliz

« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2011, 03:32:16 PM »

Good morning, all! I had a very restless night. I do vaguely remember a backstage dream involving Chris Fitzgerald and a telephone call.

The Planetarium Station Post Office - my branch - and I are about to go to war. In the past year I've had to cancel payment on three checks that I've mailed from there at $30/check and then hand deliver new ones. The rent check, which I handed to my postman on Oct 4 and which is mailed to a post office box in lower Manhatttan, has not arrived after eleven days. My original plan was to take the check with me to DC and post it from there and I forgot it. What the fat hell is going on in the post office?

So, today I've got more work for the Encores! Gala, and I'll continue to number the measures in my scores for THE RED MILL. We'll see what new fresh hell the day brings.

At least you have a branch, they've closed all our branches and moved our mail sorting station to Sioux Falls, SD.  You can't even get a Sioux City postmark any more. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2011, 03:34:39 PM »

This pisses me off! This phone number just called me on my cell phone: 406-219-2301. When I answered an automated vice told me I had problems with my credit card, and to speak to someone, press one. So I did and told the ass on the other end that I had no credit card at all, not with his stinking company or any other and to remove my number from their calling lists.

I wonder if there will be any feedback. I hope the jerks turn tail and run.

Nice review, BK!

I'm off to Toyland on an emergency run.

This is a scam that has been going on for awhile now.  I had two calls in two days.  We were all told to just hang up

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2011, 03:34:54 PM »

And... Apparently, I just took a nap.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2011, 03:36:29 PM »

This pisses me off! This phone number just called me on my cell phone: 406-219-2301. When I answered an automated vice told me I had problems with my credit card, and to speak to someone, press one. So I did and told the ass on the other end that I had no credit card at all, not with his stinking company or any other and to remove my number from their calling lists.

Nice review, BK!

This is a scam that has been going on for awhile now.  I had two calls in two days.  We were all told to just hang up

What DR Cillaliz said. However... Since you did pick up, just to be safe, be sure to keep an eye on your phone's usage just to make sure someone hasn't "cloned" your phone number. You should be able to bring up your call history on your carrier's website.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2011, 03:36:44 PM »

DR Ginny - Bonne nuit.

-When I went to Australia, I ended up ditching my guide book the second day. Yes, there were lots of things I had bookmarked to see during my visit, but once I got there, I found that there was so much to see just within walking distance of my hotels. It took all the "pressure" of me to "do EVERYTHING", and it made for a much nicer and more relaxed(!) visit. I basically follow the same plan/non-plan whenever I travel somewhere new (or not new). I'll make note of a few "must-see" places, but then the left is basically left to chance and recommendations from the locals.

This is similar to the way I planned for taking Samantha and Jon to NYC.  I told them to pick out 2-3 things they absolutely wanted to do and we would do those, then we'd play it by ear from there

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2011, 03:38:08 PM »

Whenever I get a call from an unknown number, I will usually Google it to see where it might be coming from. -I"m amazed at how many calls I get from the Roundabout Theatre Company and the New York Philharmonic. ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2011, 03:41:17 PM »

Nice review, BK!

What DR Cillaliz said. However... Since you did pick up, just to be safe, be sure to keep an eye on your phone's usage just to make sure someone hasn't "cloned" your phone number. You should be able to bring up your call history on your carrier's website.

Good advice!  The scam here claimed it was about your wells fargo card.  Apparently if you pressed 1 they asked about your account number or other information.  It was bad here, I don't know anyone who didn't get a call.  Anyway, Wells Fargo went on tv and announced they would never call and ask for an account number or date of birth etc, they already have it.

Laura

« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2011, 03:47:10 PM »

If you ever have any question about the validity of a credit card company calling you, don't answer any questions. Hang up and call the number on the back of your card. They can tell if  there's a flag on your account or not.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2011, 03:47:36 PM »

Dear BK,

I can tell you that in all the times I've seen the film, no one has EVER laughed.  If they're laughing at a stage version, either the moment is ineptly staged, badly acted, or the audience, as audiences today are wont to do, feel superior to the material (they're not, believe me).

Well they laughed heartily at a bus and truck version here in Portland, but for good reason.  First, Chino pulls the trigger.  No bullet sound.  He looks a little panicked, pulls the trigger again.  Nada.  Really panicked now.  Thinking fast (or at least as fast as any actor--yes, that's a joke), he THROWS the gun at Tony.  Tony falls dead.  You guessed it--sound effect of a bullet.  We were all in hysterics.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2011, 03:49:15 PM »

A wonderful personal review of Nudie Musical has appeared on Facebook - for those who don't partake of Facebook, here's the direct link:

http://www.facebook.com/notes/kev-j-boycik/blu-ray-review-the-first-nudie-musical/10150422039935730

BK, your name is so synonymous with FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL, that it always seems strange when someone, like this reviewer, refers to you as "the co-director" of the film.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2011, 03:54:40 PM »

Yes, DR Jose, we're pretty flexible when we travel, too.  Even today, we left here intending to do 2 museums and ended up skipping L'Orangerie in order to pay our respects to Napoleon and to shop on Rue Cler.

And how is Mr. Napoleon feeling?
“One thing’s universal,

Laura

« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2011, 03:55:42 PM »

Thank you, BK.

Laura

« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2011, 03:56:30 PM »

LOL, JMK -- that's a good reason to laugh.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2011, 03:57:06 PM »

Congrats on the milestone, Ginny, and I'm glad you're having such a wonderful time.

Ditto!
You can dream…or you can do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2011, 03:57:34 PM »

[size=8]VOILA![/size]

A milestone post that I will leave here in hopes that someone will preserve it for posterity!

Congratulations, Ginny!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2011, 04:00:13 PM »

Healthy vibes to DD Sherlock!
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up