Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HEAVEN AND HELL  (Read 9778 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: HEAVEN AND HELL
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2011, 08:53:39 AM »

I am very happy with the top three on DWTS.....the more I heard the "wild track" of the voice of the one going home, the more I disliked that person.....

So....on to the finals.

It's funny but even though I love Maks, I thought that it was Hope's attitude that was bugging me.  She was not very good on Monday. Yet acted like the judges were marking her down because they disliked her and Maks. I found her attitude appalling.   I think the judges were mean to Maks a couple of weeks ago. And occasionally they have made mean comments to him. What Carrie Ann said to him was mean. BUT that said, what she said to Hope was right on. The lifts were so awkward. I think even though Hope is an Olympic athlete she still was much more awkward dancing than any other athlete they've had on the show.

I am super happy with the F3. And i actually would be okay with any of them winning.  I've never usually gravitated towards Cheryl's partnerships. But I love her and Rob. She has done so great with him. And she's so supportive. I really am enjoying them now.

I appreciate your take on the situation, DR Jennifer, and I know that many folks out there share your point of view, especially on Maks.  I, however, have a very different take on the matter:

Regarding that night in which Maks and Hope were hopelessly outclassed by EVERYBODY else, Maks merited every comment made to him by the judges.  He's a petulant, pouty prima donna.  From what was shown on TV, he constantly lost patience with Hope in practice, and his teaching methods were poor.  It's all about HIM.  He is being PAID to teach and make his partner look better through each dance.  Maks failed to do that and was brought to task because of it.   Isn't it curious that since that night, Hope began improving?!!??   Maks FINALLY stepped up and started thinking about HER for a change.

Len told Hope  -- and put the blame on Maks, where it belonged -- that she had not progressed beyond her first-week dancing.  They were five or six weeks into the competition.  He blamed Maks for not teaching her properly.   Maks -- forgetting he was in a "competition" -- talked back and disrespected Len, suggesting Len had been working too long and needed to retire.  Maks is expected to perform and somebody needed to point out to him that he was failing miserably at his task.

Carrie Ann jumped in Maks' stuff at that point.  Good on her.  She was right to do it, and Maks deserved it.  Neither Maks nor Hope was disrespected.  They were both told in no uncertain terms that they were not at the same level as the worst of the others and needed to shape up.  Maks smarting off was the disrespectful part.  He was there to be critiqued, judged and was expected to take the criticism like an adult and adjust his approach to his partnership.  That goes for Hope, too.  They signed a contract, they knew they would be subject to criticism.  ( I don't blame Hope for anything...she's not really endowed to be a dancer.  She has "hard knees", meaning that her dance moves will always look hopelessly awkward.  That dance a week ago when the judges loved her was the night she was wearing tights with fringe down to her ankles.   All that fringe masked the akwardness and made her look much better than she was).

Maks later (after he  disrespected Len) announced he was sick and tired of Derek getting all the "good" competitors while he got the dregs (or something to that effect).  No one dancing with Maks, not matter who it is, will ever really shine unless they're "better" than he is.  What he also fails to appreciate is that his attitude, his comments and his antics will not see the producers "rewarding" him with the cream of the crop in any competition. 

Rob is having a good week...that said, he was vastly overrated in competition the other night.  No way was he only two points below Derek and Ricki.  They are the class of the competition right now.   Rob cannot shake his booty in every dance...and even Monday night, he was walking through his "dance"...shake your booty...walk, walk, walk...shake your booty...walk, walk, walk.   The audience and judges ate it all up because he was finally having fun with it.  But it's not great dancing by any stretch of the imagination, IMO.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 10:22:52 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2011, 09:07:43 AM »

I've just received the Blu of Mutiny on the Bounty. It looks and sounds spectacular and really takes me back to the time when I saw it in 70mm. Vastly better than the old DVD and an absolutely wonderful film!

And would you believe there's a guy I've been tackling on another forum who contends that the high-def master used was "too old" and that, as a result, this new Blu-ray is "bad" and "mediocre"?

Nothing but a 6K scan (at how many thousands of extra dollars) needed to be done to satisfy him.  He will not answer my direct question as to whether he has actually "seen" the Blu-ray.

Take it from one who deals with withering comments on a daily basis, people just like to friggin' complain no matter what is said.  There's a firestorm right now on Blu-ray.com over a review I did that was rated Highly Recommended, which fans of this particular movie didn't think was good enough.  For crying out loud.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2011, 09:09:16 AM »

How did the guy happen to see the photo of his dog when the stuff hasn't been printed yet?

That was my first thought.  Did anyone involved show it to him?

It went out in the e-blast and was posted on Kritzerland.   Anyone could have pointed it out to him.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2011, 09:14:15 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it's Wednesday. Which means I've already been in Los Angeles for nine days. Whew! and Wow!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2011, 09:19:40 AM »

I've just received the Blu of Mutiny on the Bounty. It looks and sounds spectacular and really takes me back to the time when I saw it in 70mm. Vastly better than the old DVD and an absolutely wonderful film!

And would you believe there's a guy I've been tackling on another forum who contends that the high-def master used was "too old" and that, as a result, this new Blu-ray is "bad" and "mediocre"?

Nothing but a 6K scan (at how many thousands of extra dollars) needed to be done to satisfy him.  He will not answer my direct question as to whether he has actually "seen" the Blu-ray.

Take it from one who deals with withering comments on a daily basis, people just like to friggin' complain no matter what is said.  There's a firestorm right now on Blu-ray.com over a review I did that was rated Highly Recommended, which fans of this particular movie didn't think was good enough.  For crying out loud.  ;)

I thought you had to be talking about "Mysterious Island", but I could find only one forum thread on that and it was all pretty tame stuff...folks enjoying the film or arguing about when it would "sell out".

Which movie are folks complaining wasn't praised highly enough in your review?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:28:22 AM by Ron Pulliam »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2011, 09:25:46 AM »

DR Michael S - Back to your e-reader question...

The technology writer for the New York Times - and former Broadway musician - David Pogue has written some very good reviews and comparisons of the various e-readers and the iPad.

Here is his breakdown and analysis of the various Amazon Kindles.

And here is a compilation of the various articles about the iPad.

*And here is David Pogue's "Family Review" of the iPad 2. -It's a video.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2011, 09:27:53 AM »

DR TCB - Congratulations on your pending retirement!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2011, 09:29:23 AM »

I suppose I'm up after one absolutely horrible dream.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2011, 09:30:15 AM »

I was awakened by the ringing of the telephonic device.  It was Robert A. Harris, doing a little venting about the My Fair Lady transfer - but then he had to get off and he'll call back.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2011, 09:32:23 AM »

And now I'm all ketched up on yesterday's posts.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2011, 09:32:50 AM »

And now I need to head out for about half an hour - hopefully - to run an errand.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2011, 09:32:58 AM »

And...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2011, 09:36:31 AM »

Melody's mom sent the announcement to the nice fellow who actually keeps the dog and trains it (the owner/trainer has trained others to train) - the dog is great and that guy is great - but he was so excited and happy that he sent it to the owner/trainer never imagining this guy would react like that.  He's sorry he did now, but I don't blame him.  Entitlement and greed.  The names of the game.  Again, if we were not using the two little images in a photo collage with twenty other little images that you can barely see because there are three prominent things on that cover to which the eye goes - a large photo of Melody, her name, and the title of the CD.  It was ridiculous but he would not even address my points - would not even acknowledge my points were in the e-mail.  And we weren't using HIS photographs - he did not own these photos they were taken at Musical Theatre West and I can tell you they would have no problem given size and placement and the photo collage, which, by the way, is a new piece of art if you want to look at it that way.  His contention is that his contract with the Annie people is such that he can approve and control any use of any image of any dog used in a production of the show.  Again, if we were FEATURING it, calling it out, using it to exploit sales, he MIGHT have a point - he had no point given the actual use.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2011, 09:37:19 AM »

I suppose I'm up after one absolutely horrible dream.

It wasn't about a man with an overweaning ego and his dog, was it?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2011, 10:24:18 AM »

Good heavens!  It's Wednesday.  Only two more work days left in this week after today.  And then I'm off for 9 whole days.

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2011, 10:41:16 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam,

RE: DWTS

I actually disagree that Maks is a bad teacher. I think he was just brought up differently and teaches differently.  He can seem a bit abupt, but he's a great dancer and I'll bet there are many of his former DWTS partners who love him.

In the beginning when Hope was not improving I actually was blaming her. It seemed like as an athlete she had potential. But she wasn't putting in the same time as the others. IF she had put in more time (like Carson was doing because he knew he had limitations) then i think she would have improved much more than she did.

I get why Maks and/or Hope were upset that the judges were so harsh with them. The judges constantly praised terrible dancers like Nancy Grace. It does at times seem like the judges favor certain people. I do think they call it like they see it. Just sometimes they are a bit meaner about it.

I'm curious about what is going on with Hope and Maks now, since they were not on Jimmy Kimmel and I read somewhere that they declined all press.

I still think what they showed Hope saying on last night's show made her look like a not nice person. I"m sure she's nice enough. But she did not come across well this week (she probably did not know she was miked).

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2011, 10:50:08 AM »

Too wound up to get enough work done today.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2011, 10:51:44 AM »

I'm glad he saw the photo before it was printed, otherwise it would be too late to avoid a lawsuit.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2011, 10:56:33 AM »

I had been operating under the assumption that the copious pinecones which fall on our deck were doing so because they all got "ripe" (or whatever it is pinecones do) at the same time, until Zach pointed out to me there is actually a squirrel (or chipmunk--how does one tell?) up there knocking the damned things down so that he/she can come down and eat them.  Yes, eat them--I'm watching him/her eat one right now.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

FJL

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2011, 11:08:09 AM »

The lesson of DANCING WITH THE STARS:  Don't smile at Carrie Ann.

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2011, 11:12:22 AM »

Ha ha ha.

It's funny but i used to love Carrie Ann.  I was not that happy with her after the whole Maks/Len thing. But that smirk comment was so uncalled for. I honestly felt like Maks was trying not to stir the pot. I guess she saw something else!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2011, 11:25:09 AM »

Once again...

Good Morning!

-At least it's still morning here in Los Angeles and Glendale, California.
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2011, 11:28:08 AM »

Melody's mom sent the announcement to the nice fellow who actually keeps the dog and trains it (the owner/trainer has trained others to train) - the dog is great and that guy is great - but he was so excited and happy that he sent it to the owner/trainer never imagining this guy would react like that.  He's sorry he did now, but I don't blame him.  Entitlement and greed.  The names of the game.  Again, if we were not using the two little images in a photo collage with twenty other little images that you can barely see because there are three prominent things on that cover to which the eye goes - a large photo of Melody, her name, and the title of the CD.  It was ridiculous but he would not even address my points - would not even acknowledge my points were in the e-mail.  And we weren't using HIS photographs - he did not own these photos they were taken at Musical Theatre West and I can tell you they would have no problem given size and placement and the photo collage, which, by the way, is a new piece of art if you want to look at it that way.  His contention is that his contract with the Annie people is such that he can approve and control any use of any image of any dog used in a production of the show.  Again, if we were FEATURING it, calling it out, using it to exploit sales, he MIGHT have a point - he had no point given the actual use.

The problem is that, under California's Right of Publicity laws, this schmuck might have prevailed...if he wanted to take it to court.

That's why in my ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD book I used original caricatures of the various stars rather than actual photographs.
You can dream…or you can do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2011, 11:30:20 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam,

RE: DWTS

I actually disagree that Maks is a bad teacher. I think he was just brought up differently and teaches differently.  He can seem a bit abupt, but he's a great dancer and I'll bet there are many of his former DWTS partners who love him.

In the beginning when Hope was not improving I actually was blaming her. It seemed like as an athlete she had potential. But she wasn't putting in the same time as the others. IF she had put in more time (like Carson was doing because he knew he had limitations) then i think she would have improved much more than she did.

I get why Maks and/or Hope were upset that the judges were so harsh with them. The judges constantly praised terrible dancers like Nancy Grace. It does at times seem like the judges favor certain people. I do think they call it like they see it. Just sometimes they are a bit meaner about it.

I'm curious about what is going on with Hope and Maks now, since they were not on Jimmy Kimmel and I read somewhere that they declined all press.

I still think what they showed Hope saying on last night's show made her look like a not nice person. I"m sure she's nice enough. But she did not come across well this week (she probably did not know she was miked).

We'll have to agree to disagree completely on the Hope/Maks fiasco.

Nancy was praised because she improved on a weekly basis.  Hope did not.   Nancy may not have been a favorite, but she danced much better than Hope.  It's that simple.  Hope's little comment last night about her 7's being the same score she received in week 1 should have been the clue necessary for reality to set in.  She simply had not progressed beyond her original abilities.  Hope was "hopeless" throughout most of the competition.  Her looks and her status as an athlete do not alter the fact that she was a dud on the dance floor.  The judges DO have favorites -- they favor those who learn and improve.  Attitude is also a factor.  Maks' ugliness carried over to Hope.

Ha ha ha.

It's funny but i used to love Carrie Ann.  I was not that happy with her after the whole Maks/Len thing. But that smirk comment was so uncalled for. I honestly felt like Maks was trying not to stir the pot. I guess she saw something else!

Again, let's agree to disagree.  I think that Carrie Ann assessed Maks' smirk perfectly.  It was another sign of disrespect.  He needed to be called on it.  He's not as good as he thinks he is.  He was whispering to Hope and she had her back to the judges at the end...before Len even got a few words out.  The cameras and microphones caught some of the judges comments, too, and they were seriously disappointed at the childish behavior.  Hope finally turned around, and that is what we saw.  More footage appeared today showing her behavior and the judges' comments. You're either grown up or you're not.  Maks is not and his attitude soured Hope.  I believe the public soured on Hope and Maks because of this behavior. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 01:29:24 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2011, 11:40:51 AM »

From DR JMK:
We have a favorite Thai restaurant here in Portland that prepares a special Tofu Pineapple Fried Rice just for me when we visit.

Sounds good. :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2011, 11:40:54 AM »

BK:  Your run-in with the dog owner was shocking and appalling.  Is that the first time you've had problems with people claiming rights on album artwork?

I think I can answer that question (sort of) in a roundabout way.

One of the last albums Bruce was working on before he left that other label and did not have time to complete was Believe: The Songs of the Sherman Brothers. He did not receive his producer credit but "conceived by" if memory serves me. The cd was badly mixed leaving out one of the orchestra passes

The image of the final version is below. Originally in place of the photo of The Sherman Brothers were images from Disney films. I believe that that version was being promoted (The CD hadn't been released). They did not get permission from the Disney company to use the photos and Disney threatened to take legal action and the cover was changed.

At some point, the original version of the cover with the Disney pictures was posted on the website for BK's previous label and I downloaded it.  I even printed it out and put it with the CD.  I think I may still have that picture on my computer.  I'll have to check when I get home.  It'll be late because I'm going to a TAO board meeting tonight.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2011, 11:45:57 AM »

I just saw a "before-and-after" ad with the headline "57-year-old mom looks 25."

What I saw was a woman who looked to be about 67 who now looks to be about 47.   A nice transformation, but nothing like the headline.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2011, 11:55:40 AM »

WOW!

Well...

Just WOW!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2011, 11:56:13 AM »

*Details to come after some more discussions. -But it's a GOOD WOW!

:) :) :) :) :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »

And since I'm meeting a friend before tonight's rehearsal... And since I have a little bit of work to get done before tonight's rehearsal...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up