Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SAME OLD SAME OLD  (Read 10067 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: THE SAME OLD SAME OLD
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 09:45:11 AM »

Voila!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2011, 09:47:49 AM »

I've gotten my first "real" cell phone.  It arrived yesterday afternoon.

For the past five or six years, I've been using a Siemens CT-66 pay-as-you-go phone, but it died a miserable death a week ago.

I finally decided on a phone and a plan, and I have the HTC Thunderbolt 4G LTE Android phone through Verizon Wireless.

It's AWESOME!

It's SCARY!

It's FUN!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2011, 10:03:19 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm really getting tired of this "jacket required" weather out here in "Sunny California". Brrrrrrr... ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 10:04:19 AM »

And... I woke up to another offer for some work. Alas, it's a show I'd like to work on, but I'm not sure I want to deal/work with some of the other "creatives" on board. However, it fits in perfectly into my existing schedule, so... We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 10:04:36 AM »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 10:06:47 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - Enjoy your new Toy! *And I believe the camera on the Thunderbolt takes some great pics too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 10:08:52 AM »

DR Jane - I believe Jason's birthday is tomorrow. But I guess since he's in Japan right now, it is tomorrow. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 10:09:40 AM »

Bruce forgot that he had another luncheon date scheduled, so I am home earlier than expected.  The good news of the day is that my reconstruction of the first Rogers & Hart musical comedy success, DEAREST ENEMY, is now going to be corrected and finished by spring of 2012, so that it can be a future recording project. I am very happy.

Good News, DR elmore!
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 10:11:05 AM »

Good morning, all! I've been playing on the computer since 7:30 or so. I had one weird dream last night that I was recording with Rebecca Luker and we had a difficult producer. Then, I dreamed I was driving in Middletown, OH, and my car skidded out of control on a road running off State Route 122.

In an hour I have to be at Rodgers & Hammerstein to look over my scores for my restoration of DEAREST ENEMY from 2002 and then have luch with Bruce Pomahac.

TOD:
   DVD: Lark Rise to Candleford, last two disks, THE GREEN, a film directed by my neighbor Steve Williford
   CD: Appalachian folk music, Guy Haines, Anya & Robert, Offenbach
   VCR: Smut

I love that Manhattan song in "Dearest Enemy" where Hart rhymes the island's name with "nanny goats sat in." Those lyrics always make me laugh, especially when Cyril Richard sings them.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 10:11:40 AM »

Bruce forgot that he had another luncheon date scheduled, so I am home earlier than expected.  The good news of the day is that my reconstruction of the first Rogers & Hart musical comedy success, DEAREST ENEMY, is now going to be corrected and finished by spring of 2012, so that it can be a future recording project. I am very happy.

Good News, DR elmore!
Yay!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 10:13:05 AM »

I've gotten my first "real" cell phone.  It arrived yesterday afternoon.

For the past five or six years, I've been using a Siemens CT-66 pay-as-you-go phone, but it died a miserable death a week ago.

I finally decided on a phone and a plan, and I have the HTC Thunderbolt 4G LTE Android phone through Verizon Wireless.

It's AWESOME!

It's SCARY!

It's FUN!
I signed up for a smartphone yesterday. Some plan called Republic Wireless that costs $20 a month. The waiting list is so long it will be next year before I get one. It's scary to me. Glad you're finding it fun.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2011, 10:20:16 AM »

I suppose I'm up.  What sleep I had was good, but those tree cutter people began with a buzz saw at seven-thirty.  I think I managed to sleep another hour somewhere between then and now.  It's still going on and when I go out to jog I'll be sure to thank them.

Jennifer

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2011, 10:21:53 AM »

About a month or two ago i was trying to walk my bike across and nobody would stop for me. Like 20 cars went by. I wasn't surprised. But they still should have stopped!

Hold your hand out and start walking.  Many drivers pretend that if you're just standing there you don't really want to cross or you would be crossing.  It's a rationalization born out of a desire to do things their way instead of the legal way.

At a regular crosswalk i probably would have started walking. But this seems like such a dangerous place for a crosswalk. I wouldn't want the car to get hit by another car. So i just waited a minute and then crossed.

But the hand does seem like a good idea.

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 10:51:25 AM »

Back from a lovely National Philanthropy Day luncheon.  My seating assignment was funny - I was put at the table with one of the honorees and his family whose name is Palmer.  I'd called at the last minute to make the reservation and I guess the people making the table assignments assumed I was related to them.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Laura

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 11:09:35 AM »

Years ago the Victorian food writer Mrs Beeton came up with the idea of a cheap sandwich for the underprivileged and in these difficult economic times apparently it’s making a comeback. You toast a piece of bread, butter it and season it with salt and pepper. You then place the toast in the middle of two slices of plain bread and then you….....Oh, that’s it!  You then munch away. Sound delicious doesn’t it….....or maybe not.   

A toast sandwich?

Sounds like something my daughter would make.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2011, 11:23:54 AM »

Good Friday!

I hope that DR Jose is not breaking any of Glendale's, or nature's, laws today.

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2011, 11:24:29 AM »

They ticket jaywalkers in Salem.

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2011, 11:32:18 AM »

I spent all of yesterday in Portland. We had a service for my Uncle Richie, who of course had requested not to have a service (!!).

It was a nice service at a military cemetery and it was good to see my cousins who I see only when we have a family funeral, which has thankfully been a rare event over the last few decades. But since all of our remaining parents are in their 80s...well, I suspect  that I will be seeing all of them more often over the next 10 years of so.

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2011, 11:34:24 AM »

By the way, the last day of my Los Angeles vacation was spent in Glendale. Downtown Glendale is so pretty and clean. I even stopped in at BK's bookstore of choice, BOOKFELLOWS....once they finally opened...the sign said they open at 11am...but nobody showed up until close to 1pm.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2011, 11:47:21 AM »

I spent all of yesterday in Portland. We had a service for my Uncle Richie, who of course had requested not to have a service (!!).

It was a nice service at a military cemetery and it was good to see my cousins who I see only when we have a family funeral, which has thankfully been a rare event over the last few decades. But since all of our remaining parents are in their 80s...well, I suspect  that I will be seeing all of them more often over the next 10 years of so.

Very sad, but very true.  All but one of my aunts and uncles have passed.  My father had 8 brothers and sisters and spouses, they're all gone.  Only my mother's younger sister and her husband remain.  My aunt turned 80 this year.

So far, so good, but I DREAD those telephone calls.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2011, 11:49:13 AM »

And... I woke up to another offer for some work. Alas, it's a show I'd like to work on, but I'm not sure I want to deal/work with some of the other "creatives" on board. However, it fits in perfectly into my existing schedule, so... We shall see...

Every opportunity can lead to a better opportunity.

Ginny

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2011, 11:55:34 AM »

DR MBarnum - condolences to you and all who love Uncle Richie.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2011, 12:07:31 PM »

Great news, Larry!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2011, 12:08:34 PM »

My condolences, Mike.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2011, 12:29:06 PM »

Back from the four-mile jog and I'd better go grab something to eat before beginning work.

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2011, 01:06:02 PM »

Thanks Ginny, Ron, and George, but I wasn't particularly close to Uncle Richie. My mom's siblings all lived in Portland, so we didn't see them that often when I was growing up..at least not often enough for me to get to know them, and Uncle Richie tended to keep to himself in later years since he was so hard of hearing.

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2011, 01:09:03 PM »

TOD:

Am listening to BOLLYWOOD BLOODBATH,  nifty compilation CD of songs and theme music from Hindi horror films of the 1960s, 70s, and 80s. Lots of fun!

Had to order my copy all the way from the UK.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2011, 01:15:40 PM »

Good Friday!

I hope that DR Jose is not breaking any of Glendale's, or nature's, laws today.

Score one for you, DR MBarnum. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2011, 01:17:22 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I took a nice walk around Glendale since I had to run a few errands. It's a very gray and cool day here. However, the forecast for next week is sunny and 70's, so... I'm also looking into extending my stay here in L.A. by a few days after "Lost and Unsung" closes especially since it would only cost my $65 to change my flight. Hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2011, 01:18:15 PM »

Every opportunity can lead to a better opportunity.

DR Ron Pulliam - Yes. Yes, it can. -And this "opportunity" is a short-term commitment gig, so... We shall see.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up