Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ANKHS FOR THE MEMORIES  (Read 13084 times)

Ginny

Re: ANKHS FOR THE MEMORIES
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 07:07:39 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  We were off line for a while this morning and I used the time to do some paperwork and clean off my desk.  And look what I found:

[size=8]Page Two![/size]
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2011, 07:08:37 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR KevinH!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2011, 07:37:06 AM »

Happy Birthday, KevinH.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2011, 07:56:14 AM »

In the "who knew" department, I was stunned last night listening to the commentary on KISS ME DEADLY (done I believe by the same guys who did THE EGYPTIAN, but I may be wrong about that) to hear that Robert Aldrich was a Rockefeller (so to speak).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2011, 08:01:29 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR KevinH!

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2011, 08:01:47 AM »

I woke up feeling a little stuffy :(

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2011, 08:17:02 AM »

I woke up feeling a little stuffy :(
The doctor recently told me to try grapefruit seed extract nasal spray for my allergies. So far, it's made my nose run more. But she swore by it. So did the store.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2011, 08:35:28 AM »

Nice people to get emails from DR ELMORE......I only got an email from Amazon talking about Black Friday.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

John G.

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2011, 09:44:16 AM »

Dad's colonoscopy seems to have gone well. They removed a few polyps, but are not concerned about anything. So, thanks for the vibes, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2011, 09:51:29 AM »

I'm up - no rain, so I will try to jog.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2011, 09:55:24 AM »

Here's our new release - if you want it, directly to paypal.com - payable to kritzerland at adelphia dot net, 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping (23.73):

ADDICTED TO COOL – HEFTI AND JONES

Kritzerland presents a new limited edition CD soundtrack – two great scores on one great CD:

SYNANON
Music Composed and Conducted by Neal Hefti

and

ENTER LAUGHING
Music Composed and Conducted by Quincy Jones

In 1965, director Richard Quine made a film about Synanon, a real-life drug rehabilitation center, called, not surprisingly, Synanon.   The film starred Edmond O’Brien as Charles E. “Chuck” Dederich, founder of Synanon, and the denizens of Synanon were played by Alex Cord, Chuck Connors, Stella Stevens, Richard Conte, Richard Evans, and Eartha Kitt.  Shot on location in Santa Monica at Synanon, the film is filled with the usual soul-searching, bad withdrawal, falling off the drug wagon, romantic entanglements, more bad withdrawal, really bad withdrawal, more soul-searching, and, of course, some more bad withdrawal – and music.  Lots and lots of very cool music composed by the very cool Neal Hefti.

Hefti, who began in big band and jazz with Woody Herman and then Count Basie, wrote his first film score in 1964 for Richard Quine’s comedy, Sex and the Single Girl.  It was classic Hefti right out of the gate and introduced a fresh, melodic, and, yes, cool voice into film scoring.  He followed that with How To Murder Your Wife (released by Kritzerland), which was followed by Synanon.  Some of his most famous work lay ahead – the following year he’d work on TV’s Batman, do brilliant scores for two Neil Simon comedy films, Barefoot In The Park and then his iconic music for The Odd Couple, whose theme was also used in the TV series based on the play and film.  Hefti’s score for Synanon opens with a moody and evocative main title, and the rest of the score consists of variations on that main theme, along with some swingin’ ups, bluesy ballads, and even a couple of vocals – all in the unique Hefti style and loaded with his usual melodic invention.  There was no one like him.

WELL, HELLO WORLD, COME IN AND ENTER LAUGHING

Enter Laughing began life as a semi-autobiographical novel by Carl Reiner, about a young man longing to break into show business.  It was adapted for Broadway by playwright Joseph Stein and opened in 1963 to excellent reviews.  In 1967, Enter Laughing was brought to the screen, this time written and directed by Reiner himself.   The film version starred Reni Santoni, Janet Margolin, Jose Ferrer, Elaine May, Jack Gilford, Don Rickles, Shelly Winters, David Opatashu, and, repeating his stage role, Michael J. Pollard.  Enter Laughing is a frequently hilarious movie filled with expert turns by expert actors, especially Ferrer and May, who are both brilliant in the film.  Capturing all the fun and spirit of the movie was its score by the great Quincy Jones, another of the cool set of composers from the 1960s. 

Jones, like Hefti, started out in big band and jazz as an arranger and composer.   And, like Hefti, Jones wrote his first Hollywood film score in 1964, for Sidney Lumet’s The Pawnbroker.  He instantly became a sought-after and very prolific film composer, scoring such 1960s films as Mirage, Walk, Don’t Run, The Deadly Affair, In The Heat Of The Night, In Cold Blood, Mackenna’s Gold, The Italian Job, Bob and Mary and Ted and Alice, Cactus Flower and many others, as well as his great theme for the TV series Ironside.  The 70s were no less fruitful, producing such great scores as The Anderson Tapes, $, The Hot Rock, The New Centurions, The Getaway, Roots, and, in 1985, The Color Purple.  Jones was a completely fresh voice in film scoring – he combined the best of all worlds – big band, jazz, and classic film scoring, into his own unique sound.   While his score for Enter Laughing is on the more traditional side, it is infectiously tuneful, fresh as a daisy, and fits the film like a glove.   It’s the kind of score no one really knows how to write anymore.

Both Synanon and Enter Laughing were originally released on Liberty Records and this is the first CD release for both.  They are mastered from the original two-track album masters housed in the Capitol vaults – they were in pristine condition and both have that spectacular 1960s stereo sound.

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping.  Go to the item page and click on the link to find out about it. 

CD will ship the third week of December – however, never fear, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

FJL

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2011, 10:11:22 AM »

The brilliant Mark Evanier's very popular "POV Online" site has linked BK's Outside the Box Episode 2

I think this is the direct link on that site:

http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2011_11_20.html#021678

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2011, 10:24:40 AM »

I've finished my notes on the first edit of Disc One, and I can move back over to ROBERTA for a while.  This mess is a huge undertaking and I want to have it ready by next Monday.

My tasty lunch was a yummilicious caesar salad and scrambled eggs.

I forgot that tonight I have to see a show at The Lambs at 7:00.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2011, 10:29:51 AM »

Happy Birthday, KevinH!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2011, 10:32:37 AM »

Bruce:

Your newest release doesn't seem to be "up" on the Kritzerland site yet.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2011, 10:33:58 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR KevinH

KevinH

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2011, 10:35:06 AM »

Thanks so much to:  bk, George, Doug R, Ben, Laura, John G, Druxy, Michael S, Jrand61, FJL, elmore, Kerry, Ginny, JMK, Jennifer,  Ron Pulliam and Matthew!!

KevinH

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2011, 10:36:16 AM »

I had a dental appointment today--I thought it was a good way to start my birthday.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2011, 10:36:40 AM »

So, Parade is over.  Another personal achievement tallied and now it's on to the Holidays, Christmas programs, etc.   Not sure I'll ever vist Parade again, not sure if I'll ever have the opportunity, but it is one show I'd never thought I would do.  I was apprehensive at the undertaking because it was definitely a step out of my "Lloyd Webber" box, but I'm glad I did it and it was a fantastic success. 

Doug R

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2011, 11:07:05 AM »

Had lunch with some of my former work colleagues. We discussed how the organisation was doing and concluded, of course, that we used to do a far better job than the current management  :)

John G.

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2011, 11:07:55 AM »

So, Parade is over.  Another personal achievement tallied and now it's on to the Holidays, Christmas programs, etc.   Not sure I'll ever vist Parade again, not sure if I'll ever have the opportunity, but it is one show I'd never thought I would do.  I was apprehensive at the undertaking because it was definitely a step out of my "Lloyd Webber" box, but I'm glad I did it and it was a fantastic success. 
Glad to read that. Audiences were appreciative?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2011, 11:08:14 AM »

Had lunch with some of my former work colleagues. We discussed how the organisation was doing and concluded, of course, that we used to do a far better job than the current management  :)
Ain't it the truth?
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2011, 11:41:12 AM »

DR John G - I'm glad to hear that your Dad's procedure went well and hope he can take it easy for a couple of days.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2011, 11:47:40 AM »

And the word of the day is: PERNOCTATION!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2011, 11:49:29 AM »

HAP HAP SLAP HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO KEVIN H

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2011, 11:50:54 AM »

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2011, 11:58:30 AM »

There is no $80 fee for the Kindle.

The mention of $80 in the David Pogue relates to the price of the cheapest Kindle. There is more than one model.

Here is the portion of the article mentioning $80

David Pogue NYT Nov. 13, 2011

This new Kindle is now so small, it fits in a pants pocket. But again, the news here is the price: $80.

Do you have any idea how astonishing that number is? The first Kindle, born four years ago this month, cost $400. This model weighs 40 percent less, occupies a third less space and stores seven times as many books — at 20 percent of the price.

At this rate, by next year, Amazon will pay you to buy a Kindle.

You can pay a little more for various perks. For example, the $80 model displays ads. Never while you’re reading — only on the “sleep” screen and in a strip across the bottom of the Home screen. Most are discount deals, which makes them a lot more palatable. But you can get this Kindle without the ads for $110.

If you sign up for Amazon Prime, which costs $79 a year and which originally got you free shipping of items bought through Amazon you get free access to a "lending library" maintained by Amazon which features books for the Kindle but Amazon Prime is not required to purchase a Kindle.

Thanks for the info, Ben (and Charles). :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2011, 11:58:54 AM »

The brilliant Mark Evanier's very popular "POV Online" site has linked BK's Outside the Box Episode 2

I think this is the direct link on that site:

http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2011_11_20.html#021678

Congrats, BK!  The word is definitely getting out!

George

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2011, 11:59:52 AM »

Congrats, Matthew!  On to the next project!

George

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2011, 12:00:12 PM »

And since we're so close...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up