Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OPENING NIGHT: LOST AND UNSUNG  (Read 10797 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: OPENING NIGHT: LOST AND UNSUNG
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2011, 02:52:34 PM »

Page three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2011, 02:58:17 PM »

ˇHola!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2011, 03:01:04 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I'm back from Target. I found those Energy Bar "chews" to keep me energized during the show, and I also had to buy some black dress socks - since, for some unknown reason, I only packed one pair for this trip. ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2011, 03:03:36 PM »

DR John G - I asked this in the relative wee hours last night: Which Ives disc were you listening to yesterday?
It's a new recording called "Four Sonatas" from Deutsche Grammaphon. Hilary Hahn on violin and Valentina Lisitsa on piano.

I haven't read the booklet yet but the notes on the library website say they are Sonatas Nos. 1-4. What I like are the way he takes a hymn of peace, like "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" or "Bringing in the Sheaves" and then brings in this modern agitation and thrumming to surround the melody, and then you get to the calm. Again, it's energizing and peaceful at the same time. I'm getting a lot of work done. 

That's a great recording, and Hahn and Lisitsa really treat the material with reverence as well as a sense of humor and fun - just like Ives would have wanted.

*If you do want to venture into more "thorny" Ives, check out Jeremy Denk's Ives' "Concord Sonata" disc from last year.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2011, 03:04:51 PM »

ˇHola!

Or as Ellen Degeneres would say:

HOLLA!
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2011, 03:06:40 PM »

To BK, the cast, and the crew:

Excellent vibes and xylophones for a wonderful opening night!
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2011, 03:08:09 PM »

And in a very Hal Prince sort of move, I just booked my next gig:

I'll be covering the second half of the run of My Fair Lady for The Barksdale Theatre in Richmond, Virginia, from December 16-January 8. They're doing the version scored for two pianos. I had actually planned on being home for the holidays this year, so, it's a proverbial "perfect storm" - but in a good sense. *And I really don't think I've been back to Richmond since last Christmas.

Congrats, Jose!

Congrats. Barksdale is a theater I would love to go to one time when i'm in Richmond. Trouble is, I'm never there when they're doing a show I want to see. They did a production of Sammy Cahn and Charles Strouse's "Bojangles," which would have been wonderful. When I was there last, it was "Joseph and the Amazing ..."

Oh, well.

Barksdale actually runs/oversees three space now: Historic Hanover Tavern, Barksdale at Willow Lawn (Shopping Center) and the historic Empire Theatre. I did She Loves Me and Violet for them at the Willow Lawn space years ago. I'm looking forward to My Fair Lady at the Empire Theatre - such a great space. -And it's been "featured" as a stand-in for Ford's Theatre a couple of times in a bunch of Abraham Lincoln movies.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:12:34 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2011, 03:11:48 PM »

I'll be covering the second half of the run of My Fair Lady for The Barksdale Theatre in Richmond, Virginia, from December 16-January 8. They're doing the version scored for two pianos. I had actually planned on being home for the holidays this year, so, it's a proverbial "perfect storm" - but in a good sense. *And I really don't think I've been back to Richmond since last Christmas.

Will there be performances on Christmas Eve?  If so, will you miss BK's annual spaghetti partay?

Well, since I'm heading back East next Saturday, I will already be missing BK's annual spaghetti partay.

And since I will be in San Francisco next week, I will also be missing the Christmas installment of "Kritzerland at the Gardenia". Spoo!
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2011, 03:13:06 PM »

DR John G - I asked this in the relative wee hours last night: Which Ives disc were you listening to yesterday?
It's a new recording called "Four Sonatas" from Deutsche Grammaphon. Hilary Hahn on violin and Valentina Lisitsa on piano.

I haven't read the booklet yet but the notes on the library website say they are Sonatas Nos. 1-4. What I like are the way he takes a hymn of peace, like "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" or "Bringing in the Sheaves" and then brings in this modern agitation and thrumming to surround the melody, and then you get to the calm. Again, it's energizing and peaceful at the same time. I'm getting a lot of work done. 

That's a great recording, and Hahn and Lisitsa really treat the material with reverence as well as a sense of humor and fun - just like Ives would have wanted.

*If you do want to venture into more "thorny" Ives, check out Jeremy Denk's Ives' "Concord Sonata" disc from last year.
I will see the library has it. Thanks.

There really is a sense of fun and adventure in this recording. Just a vitality and love of what they're doing.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2011, 03:14:10 PM »

ˇHola!
Guten Tag, yourself, sir. How's things?
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2011, 03:14:50 PM »

Life Lesson of the Day:

Never eat Cheetos when you are naked.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2011, 03:15:11 PM »

Congratulations!!!

Jane

« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2011, 03:16:54 PM »

Life Lesson of the Day:

;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »

Congratulations, DR Jose!  Richard was just asking me what's next for you.  Is this the gig that made you say "Wow!" last week?

Thank You, DR Ginny. Well... It was part of what made me say, "Wow!".

In the span of three days, I got offers for work that will basically keep me busy through July. And they're all projects I actually want to work on, and had thought of submitting myself for, but had heard that the personnel were already in place.

It looks like I'll be doing a concert version of Two Gentlemen of Verona at the end of January. Then come Spring, it looks like I will be the AMD for The Music Man back down at Arena Stage starring the lovely Kate Baldwin as Marian. -And in the meantime, I have my usual spring theatre conferences, as well as a workshop in a NYC too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2011, 03:18:04 PM »

Life Lesson of the Day:

Now that needs to go on a t-shirt!

*Complete with "orange finger prints" on the side. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2011, 03:21:45 PM »

Bravo!

DR elmore - Thank You. Alas, it means more time out of New York City for me, but work is work. And work is good. I just need to decide if I want to go ahead and start the hunt for a new apartment in NYC now or later. At this point, if everything lines up properly, I won't need a "full time" place to live in NYC until next summer.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:25:09 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2011, 03:22:59 PM »

Things change faster on West 82nd Street than they do in Wonderland! ROBERTA is off the table for a 2012 recording, and my reconstruction of the Rodgers & Hart DEAREST ENEMY is going to be recorded in August 2012. ROBERTA will be recorded complete in 2013.

DR elmore - That's great news! -As they say, "When one door closes, another opens..."
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:24:46 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2011, 03:24:32 PM »

OK...

Time for me to get ready to head in for tonight's Opening Night performance. I want to get to LACC a bit early to do some warming up and practicing, and then take a nice break before our 7:15pm curtain.

Thank You for All The Vibes and Support and Well Wishes!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2011, 03:25:15 PM »

Things change faster on West 82nd Street than they do in Wonderland! ROBERTA is off the table for a 2012 recording, and my reconstruction of the Rodgers & Hart DEAREST ENEMY is going to be recorded in August 2012. ROBERTA will be recorded complete in 2013.

DR elmore - That's great news! -As they say, "When one door closes, another opens..."

And DR JohnG will get all the underscoring he wants, to boot!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2011, 03:38:32 PM »

Congratulations, DR Jose!  Richard was just asking me what's next for you.  Is this the gig that made you say "Wow!" last week?

And they're all projects I actually want to work on

:)

Jane

« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2011, 03:38:57 PM »

Life Lesson of the Day:

Now that needs to go on a t-shirt!

;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2011, 03:39:25 PM »

I don't know how i didn't know this. But Staples/Bureau En Gros (what it is called here) is now able to sell Kindles in their actual store. They are $109.  Need to see this.  I just don't really understand the whole Canada/US thing. I know i would have to order books from .com and not .ca (that is fine cause i have a giftcard on .com). But i'm just not totally clear how many of amazon.com's kindle books can be "shipped" to canada. I know there are some restrictions.

Would there be restrictions on books that are sent on the internet?  How could they do that?
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2011, 03:49:08 PM »

And DR JohnG will get all the underscoring he wants, to boot!

Woo and Hoo!
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2011, 03:50:30 PM »

Life Lesson of the Day:

Does this apply if you are:

A) alone
B) With someone else
C) In a party setting
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2011, 03:52:27 PM »

Life Lesson of the Day:

Does this apply if you are:

A) alone
B) With someone else
C) In a party setting

I thnk it only applies if you are a naked TCB.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

KevinH

« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2011, 03:54:13 PM »

Broken legs for BK, Jose and Company!

KevinH

« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2011, 03:55:54 PM »

Congrats to DR Jose on your upcoming gigs!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2011, 03:59:59 PM »

What happened to Currier?
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2011, 04:00:02 PM »

I don't know how i didn't know this. But Staples/Bureau En Gros (what it is called here) is now able to sell Kindles in their actual store. They are $109.  Need to see this.  I just don't really understand the whole Canada/US thing. I know i would have to order books from .com and not .ca (that is fine cause i have a giftcard on .com). But i'm just not totally clear how many of amazon.com's kindle books can be "shipped" to canada. I know there are some restrictions.

Would there be restrictions on books that are sent on the internet?  How could they do that?

This surprised me too.  Jennifer what about your selection from your library?

Ginny

« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2011, 04:03:11 PM »

Thank You, DR Ginny. Well... It was part of what made me say, "Wow!".

In the span of three days, I got offers for work that will basically keep me busy through July. And they're all projects I actually want to work on, and had thought of submitting myself for, but had heard that the personnel were already in place.

It looks like I'll be doing a concert version of Two Gentlemen of Verona at the end of January. Then come Spring, it looks like I will be the AMD for The Music Man back down at Arena Stage starring the lovely Kate Baldwin as Marian. -And in the meantime, I have my usual spring theatre conferences, as well as a workshop in a NYC too.

To that, I also say "Wow!" and we're so there to see MUSIC MAN!  And in our own "perfect storm," we also want to get to NYC to see Jim Parsons in HARVEY and they overlap.  I think I'll start planning for a plane/train trip like we had several years ago!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up