Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A MAN POSSESSED  (Read 11137 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: A MAN POSSESSED
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2012, 02:23:51 PM »

Oh, wait, maybe it does.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2012, 02:28:05 PM »

You would think we had an earthquake in the Seattle-Tacoma area, rather than a snow storm.  Some of the local stations have gone to total news for coverage of BLIZZARD 2012!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2012, 02:34:39 PM »

The opening bell of today's American Stock Exchange was rung by the current Miss America.

That reminded me that I miss the likes of Bert Parks, especially singing that iconic song to each newly crowned queen.

Here is a clip from 1976's pageant finale with Bert pouring it on at approximately 1:30 into the clip.

Thank you for that clip, Ron.  It was so tragic the year that they tried to bring Bert Parks back.  This is a much better memory.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2012, 02:36:03 PM »

DR TCB re: the snowfall. I don't actually know how much snow fell.

But for future reference i think 1 inch is 2.5 cms. So i think that makes 15 cms = 6 inches.

Thank you.  Then I must have more than 15 cms at my house.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #124 on: January 18, 2012, 02:38:38 PM »

It is always the same story, every single year, with Portland Public Schools.  They under-react the first day of a storm, as they did yesterday, when they really should have just cancelled school.  Then the second day, they of course over-react.  So today we have two hour delay despite the fact that almost all of the snow is off of the streets (there's still some in yards, at least at this elevation--my hunch is there's not one whit of snow further down).

I was expecting that to happen (like usual) here in the Northwet.  Almost all school districts cancelled school for today, last night.  For once, they weren't embarrassed.
“One thing’s universal,

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #125 on: January 18, 2012, 02:40:07 PM »

You would think we had an earthquake in the Seattle-Tacoma area, rather than a snow storm.  Some of the local stations have gone to total news for coverage of BLIZZARD 2012!

I remember a major snowstorm we had in Seattle, way back when I was in elementary school and lived on Capital Hill.

it was probably in the late 1940s or very early 1950s.

For 2 Thursdays and Fridays in a row, they closed the schools.

You can dream…or you can do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #126 on: January 18, 2012, 02:41:18 PM »

This intersection is right by our old house, which is now our rental.

Thank goodness both cars missed your repaired fence.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »

Bryan just called-laters.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2012, 02:45:16 PM »

Lord what a day.  I began finessing at ten-fifteen.  At eleven-thirty I started to write the new pages.  I was about two paragraphs in and went to scroll down a little and the entire page turned into asterisks.  I had no idea what that was about and panic set in immediately.  Suddenly my 369 page document was 133 pages of asterisks.  The went to "edit" and undid the last thing.  Still asterisks.  I undid two more and nothing.  I stopped doing that immediately.  Then I called the 800 number for Office for Mac.  It took me forever to get someone on the phone, then forever for the very foreign person to gather the information she needed.  I was hyperventilating by that point and I got truly nasty on the phone.  I was finally switched to a tech support person, another person of foreign extraction who was very hard to understand.  I told her what had happened.  While I was explaining it, all the asterisks turned to little squares.  She offered no help other than to say it was a known issue and as long as I'd backed up the document we could retrieve that.  I knew that from the start and since the Time Machine had just done a backup while I was talking to her, I knew the previous backup would at least get to where I'd been when I began finessing.  Of course, I'd have to then go back and remember all those changes and additions.  But I was apoplectic by this point, and I yelled "A KNOWN ISSUE???  TO WHOM???  I didn't know about it and you can't have this happen - why don't you FIX IT!"  I told her that she had to figure it out and get my document back.  She suggested the issue happened because the document was huge.  I suggested she was out of her mind - the document was less than half a megabyte, which is nothing.  She had me send her the document file in an e-mail, which I did.  While I was attaching the document I could see in the little thumbnail of it that there was typing, so that gave me hope.

She was indeed able to open the document and it was 369 pages so I breathed a sigh of relief.  She had me close the weird-looking document and re-open from my document file.  It opened and it was there and fine.  She then had me go into preferences and check the auto backup feature - which means every time I save it creates an automatic backup in case something bad happens. 

When I finally looked at where I'd left off I'd lost the paragraph or two of new stuff, probably because I'd done those three edit undos.  I was so upset and I was still shaking and seething - I tried to start writing, but knew I had to just get out and eat and relax, which is what I did.  I picked up two packages and am now home.  I'll go back and look at the finessed stuff, which should put me back in the right frame of mind to continue writing.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2012, 02:49:41 PM »

I truly believed that nothing else negative could possibly happen in my life; but last night I received news that almost caused me to throw myself out of the nearest window.
“One thing’s universal,

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2012, 02:52:53 PM »

This intersection is right by our old house, which is now our rental.

Thank goodness both cars missed your repaired fence.

They would have had to have gotten through a rather large hedge first.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2012, 02:54:04 PM »

Does anyone else start singing the tune of "The things that you're liable / To read in the bible" and somehow the words "I'm strong to the finish / Cuz I eat me spinach" pop into your head?

no one else.  Hmmmm.....

Not until you mentioned it; but then I hadn't even thought of the tune to DON'T SLEEP IN THE SUBWAY until you brought it up the other day!   ::)
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2012, 03:04:06 PM »

Oh, dear, DR TCB, now what?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2012, 03:05:09 PM »

And has all the bread and milk disappeared from the grocery store shelves?  That's what happens here!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2012, 03:08:50 PM »

Thanks DR JOSE.

I have returned from Zumba and now I am hungry.

You're welcome, JRAND.

And I'm hungry too.

Toasted Ravioli?

I tried making those last week, but they shorted out my toaster.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2012, 03:13:17 PM »

Oh... I made sure to add the Simon Rattle, Glyndeborne recording of "Porgy & Bess" to my iPad playlist in iTunes. That should be good in-flight music.

I need to order this.  As much as I love the Houston Grand Opera version, I hear that the Glyndeborne is incredible.

It is a rather wonderful recording. However, I do agree with some of the critics who complained(?) that some of the tempos are a tad slow or a tad "strict" in places.

However, Harolyn Blackwell's "Summertime" is truly languid - in a good way. I've mentioned this here before, but... When I was doing CARMEN JONES at the Kennedy Center, Harolyn Blackwell was our Micaela, er, I mean Cindy Lou. I asked her about the exquisitely slow tempo for "Summertime". Her response was something along the lines of: "If you've ever spent a summer in Charleston, you wouldn't be doing anything fast." :)

*I also believe the set is now midline- if not budget-priced now.

My favorite version is still the Leontyne Price / William Warfield version of PORGY AND BESS.  I grew up listening to that recording.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2012, 03:18:37 PM »

The one thing I know is that I'm not going to the movie tonight - I'm just not in the mood and I want to keep writing.  I clarified some other details today, which will come in handy when I write about 1999.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2012, 03:46:31 PM »

My mistake.  They have named this crisis as WINTER EXTREME 2012.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2012, 03:54:02 PM »

Oh... I made sure to add the Simon Rattle, Glyndeborne recording of "Porgy & Bess" to my iPad playlist in iTunes. That should be good in-flight music.

I need to order this.  As much as I love the Houston Grand Opera version, I hear that the Glyndeborne is incredible.

It is a rather wonderful recording. However, I do agree with some of the critics who complained(?) that some of the tempos are a tad slow or a tad "strict" in places.

However, Harolyn Blackwell's "Summertime" is truly languid - in a good way. I've mentioned this here before, but... When I was doing CARMEN JONES at the Kennedy Center, Harolyn Blackwell was our Micaela, er, I mean Cindy Lou. I asked her about the exquisitely slow tempo for "Summertime". Her response was something along the lines of: "If you've ever spent a summer in Charleston, you wouldn't be doing anything fast." :)

*I also believe the set is now midline- if not budget-priced now.

My favorite version is still the Leontyne Price / William Warfield version of PORGY AND BESS.  I grew up listening to that recording.

I love those excerpts, too! Skitch Henderson, who was a sonofabitch to me and for whom I have little good to say, does a fantastic job conducting that recording. I always thought his work with the NY Pops was neither very good conducting nor particularly well rehearsed, but he clearly loved the Gershwin score and knew it well.

I was never good with opera excerpt rcordings, since there's alwats something I want to hear that doesn't make the cut. I'm sure I have neighbors who'd prefer the excerpts over a complete recording.

I think all is well again with an August recording. I will get some sleep tonight, and I need it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2012, 03:54:55 PM »

I wonder how many folks here remember a time (60s-70s) when you couldn't watch a beauty pageant/talent contest/audition without someone singing "Summertime".

Because it's at such a "languid pace", some of the versions I heard were nearly torturous.

That is pretty funny, Ron.  I remember once, when I was a kid, my mother (a music teacher) being approached by a contestant for the Miss Washington pageant wanting help for her Talent Portion of the contest.  After working with her for a while, she ended up doing a very nice version of SUMMERTIME.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2012, 04:08:55 PM »

Oh, dear, DR TCB, now what?

I can't even talk about it.
“One thing’s universal,

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2012, 04:12:15 PM »

Thanks all for the lovely profusion of birthday felicitations!  They were lovely to come home to after a long day of screenwriting guest-teaching!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2012, 04:19:13 PM »

I truly believed that nothing else negative could possibly happen in my life; but last night I received news that almost caused me to throw myself out of the nearest window.

:'(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

KevinH

« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2012, 04:21:57 PM »

Happy Birthday, DR Charles Pogue!

George

« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2012, 04:25:20 PM »

A little earlier, I took a shower, then watched the season 4 premiere of "Southland," then went outside and got all the snow off my car.  It looked like there was a foot of snow!  I figured that it would be easier to get it off now instead of in the morning, when it's all frozen solid.  We'll see if I'll need to go to work tomorrow, or if I can even get out of my parking lot.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Laura

« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2012, 04:26:05 PM »

(((TCB)))
"That's a lotta hamsters."

George

« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2012, 04:27:05 PM »

It's all hype.  I just heard a local news report that said that Olympia got the most snow in the history of Olympia...and then they qualify it with "...since 1973." ::)

;)

Ginny

« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2012, 04:27:56 PM »

We are watching a DVD of Nero Wolfe episodes and the murder they're working on now took place a block east of DR Elmore's home!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #148 on: January 18, 2012, 04:54:39 PM »

We continue to have much needed rain.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2012, 04:59:24 PM »

We are watching a DVD of Nero Wolfe episodes and the murder they're working on now took place a block east of DR Elmore's home!

I did it.

Wowie zowie! Everything is falling nicely into place today. I got a copy of the FANFARE Magazine review of the Herbert Piano and Cello music, which will be out in March, and it's a rave.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up