Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: YESTERDAZE  (Read 12947 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: YESTERDAZE
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2012, 09:20:27 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - If you were to obtain a passport, which of your former duty stations would you like to re-visit?

Naples, first and foremost.  But also on the agenda would be many points in Italy...Rome, Rimini, Florence, Vicenza, Venice...and then on to Istanbul...and Athens.   A flight from Athens to Heathrow would probably be the end of my first leg with a three- or four-day stopover in London.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2012, 09:20:44 AM »

DR Michael S - Thanks for the Marc Kudisch report. I was born in 1968, and had a lot of 45s, so... However, I'm guessing he was listening to his parents' 78s.

On a related note, I just read the review for Michael Cerveris' "American Songbook" evening at Lincoln Center. He apparently sang Barber's "Knoxville: Summer of 1915". Hmmm...

Hmmm..., indeed.

I was born in 1962 and remember buying 45s into the early 1980s. I never bought many tapes, either cassettes or 8-tracks.

As for the 78s, I seem to recall a lot of those from Walt Disney or from other children's music producers.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2012, 09:20:54 AM »

Page three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2012, 09:23:42 AM »

DR Michael S - Thanks for the Marc Kudisch report. I was born in 1968, and had a lot of 45s, so... However, I'm guessing he was listening to his parents' 78s.

On a related note, I just read the review for Michael Cerveris' "American Songbook" evening at Lincoln Center. He apparently sang Barber's "Knoxville: Summer of 1915". Hmmm...

Hmmm..., indeed.

I was born in 1962 and remember buying 45s into the early 1980s. I never bought many tapes, either cassettes or 8-tracks.

As for the 78s, I seem to recall a lot of those from Walt Disney or from other children's music producers.

When Jose was born, 45s were THE top-selling records.  Teens bought hit songs by the millions on 45.  45s, in the 1960s, were the iTunes downloads of today.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2012, 09:24:34 AM »

It didn't snow, just more rain, and the road guy is here. :)

Jane

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2012, 09:28:07 AM »

TOD:  I've always thought I like to take one of those riverboat cruises up or down the Mississippi in autumn.  Lazing on a boat and watching the world go by as the leaves turn, preferably with good friends, a few good books, quality food, and libations, sounds ideal.

This sounds very nice!!  I can imagine it. 

Jane

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2012, 09:29:04 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Richard and I went out last night and bought anniversary presents for each other - he bought me a washer and I bought him a dryer  ;)  Isn't that romantic?

LOL.  What did you get?

Jane

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »

Keith is still with the road guy.  I'm glad I didn't have to go down with him.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2012, 10:43:42 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Richard and I went out last night and bought anniversary presents for each other - he bought me a washer and I bought him a dryer  ;)  Isn't that romantic?

LOL.  What did you get?

Ummm....a washer, wasn't it?

;D

Jane

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2012, 10:45:19 AM »

Ha! Ha!

Jane

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2012, 10:46:05 AM »

Day 1 in Tahiti before boarding the ship.

Jane

« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2012, 10:50:33 AM »

The flight arrived early in the morning.  The cruise line met us at the airport and took us to the hotel & gave us a room for a few hours.  We showered & had the buffet breakfast which was included. 

I loved this tree.

Jane

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2012, 10:54:28 AM »

On our last night after the cruise we stayed in one of these back bungalows.  With views of beautiful Moorea Keith sat on the deck off our room smoking a cigar and watched me swim.  Truly an experience to cherish.,

Jane

« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2012, 10:57:30 AM »

The last photo we took before it began to rain.  We also had to check out of our room & wait until we could be transported to the ship.  We did a lot of waiting at the hotel.

Jane

« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2012, 11:10:01 AM »

It is too late to go to the gym now as Keith as an eye doctor appointment this afternoon.  He has gone back down the road to do some shoveling.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2012, 11:10:08 AM »

Saw Marc Kudisch at the Crest Theater in Delray Beach, FL last night. It is part of their cabaret series. These are two act version. It was an interesting collection of Broadway, Folk, Rockabilly and other styles. The show was called What Makes Me Tick.

There is no doubt thay Mr. Kudisch has a great singing voice with a wife range, he has a great stage presence, but the show is a little disjointed, the patter doesn't seem to be scripted and he used the word "shit" s couple of times. (A little shocking since most of the audience seems to be in the 60 year and older age range.) I guess I am not used to hearing performers usung curse words in their act.

His patter had a lot of misinformation in it. For example he said that Kander/Ebb's first show before "Cabaret" was Zorba. It was actually the second show after Cabaret and that Zorba influenced Stephen Sondheim. He also attributed Comden and Green as writers of Oklahoma! which we all know isn't correct. Also the time frame seemed to be off. He was born in 1966 (I looked it up) and yet talks about listening to 45's (Possible) and 78's (Unlikely as there were LPs and tapes). It also seemed as if he was alive in the 50's. He needed to hava more linear approach to his show. He seemed to be all over the place. These mistakes and other is the reason why I don't believe it was scripted and was more off the cuff otherwise these mistakes would have been caught.

Despite being a veteran on the stage in scripted roles he seemed to be uncomfortable in this format. He stood center stage and played to the audience there. He ignored the people in the audience  to the left and the right. As oustanding a singer he is the show itself did not click.

Marc Kudisch worked with Bruce on the cast recording of Bells Are Ringing. I kept thinking what would Bruce Kimmel have done with the show to make bring out the best it has to offer.

PS Does everyone get standing ovations these days?

He sounds like an idiot, frankly.  Everyone needs a director - EVERYONE.  And they need a director who understands patter, pacing, and staging.  Comden and Green's Oklahoma!  To the tune of Just in Time:

Corn so high
I see that corn so high
Goes right up to the sky
That golden haze

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2012, 11:20:24 AM »

Interesting about Dragon Tattoo not up for film and director.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2012, 11:20:54 AM »

I'm up and have had one singer come over already.  I don't think the next one's coming until one so I may sneak out for some eggs or something.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2012, 11:21:11 AM »

And no Dragon Tattoo for score - that's a big plus. 

Ben

« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2012, 11:47:26 AM »

Factoid: Marc Kudisch and Kristin Chenoweth were engaged at one time.

John G.

« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2012, 12:18:19 PM »

Factoid: Marc Kudisch and Kristin Chenoweth were engaged at one time.
Yes, that was a rather scary couple, IMHO.
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2012, 12:30:45 PM »

We took Sherlock for a nice walk on the road.  The worst, by far, section is the driveway to the house behind us.  The sun is out and it is very pretty here.

Jane

« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2012, 12:37:55 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/facebook-timeline-mandatory-rollout-7-days-scour-past-185456598.html

Facebook is forcing everyone to go with the new Timeline look.  I am not happy about this.  I find my friends who have changed have attractive looking pages which I find very difficult to read & navigate beyond the photos.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2012, 01:00:54 PM »

More beautiful photos DR JANE!!  Thanks for sharing!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2012, 01:01:35 PM »

Some lucky people - especially in the north - may be able to see some beautiful Northern Lights again this evening.....if you want to stay up that late.....and you have clear skies.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »

Thanks DR Jrand.  I should really have begun with the beginning of the trip.  I have my photos in order now. 

Doug R

« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2012, 01:40:49 PM »

Jane - what wonderful photos!

Doug R

« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2012, 01:44:04 PM »

TOD:

So many places I'd like to go to, especially Las Vegas, LA, the Grand Canyon.

Doug R

« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2012, 01:47:58 PM »

Met Steve for the weekly drink and meal. I had the roast of the day which was beef with roast and mashed potatoes, Yorkshire puddiing, carrots and green beans. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2012, 01:54:13 PM »

Well, guess I'll be visiting Facebook even less - just do my updates and goodbye because I HATE the new look.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up