Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PERFECTLY PLEASANT DAY  (Read 12975 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE PERFECTLY PLEASANT DAY
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2012, 03:44:41 PM »

The Irish Rep is no help on this. Good folk, though they be.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2012, 03:45:03 PM »

DR Ben - thanks for your comments about Studio 54.  We'll be in Row EE (first row of Mid-Mezzanine), aisle seats in the center section on May 22 for HARVEY.  We could have sat in the last row of the front mezzanine, but those seats would have cost $50/each more and I didn't think it was worth it.

Is this an actual revival of HARVEY, or is it a limited engagement?

It's Roundabout, DR TCB, so I'd call it a limited engagement.  Jim Parsons from BIG BANG THEORY is playing Elwood P. Dowd.  He's one of our TV favorites.  The only other time I've seen HARVEY on stage was 1970 in Ann Arbor - the cast included James Stewart and Helen Hayes.

I enjoy Jim Parsons on BIG BANG, but I have no desire to ever sit thru HARVEY again.  Now if you could get Stewart and Hayes to do it again; then I might go see it.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2012, 03:48:50 PM »

I edited two scores today and spent a lot of time on Google and youtube looking at a couple of Irish sopranos with lovely voices, but neither seems to me ideal for the role I need to cast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIBIfOlZRWc

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmT8z50QI3E

I liked Cara O'Sullivan better than the second one.

Actually, in those two clips, I prefer Barry Douglas, the conductor.
“One thing’s universal,

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2012, 03:53:01 PM »

My engineer just picked up a bunch of hard drives that contain three different STAGE shows that we'll be issuing - they'll all come out in a row, one a month, beginning end of April.  Bacharach, Sondheim, and Lloyd Webber are the shows.

*GASP*  Lloyd Webber???

I bought a CD a while back called "The Best of Andrew Lloyd Webber."  Of course, the CD was blank.

Kidding Matthew, just kidding.

That's ok, I opened the same CD and found 12 tracks with different names with the same tune...

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2012, 03:53:30 PM »

I had the misfortune to watch HANNA. This is the most awful, stupid, senseless, annoyingly daft movie I have ever seen.

The opening scene was very upsetting and turned me off of the whole movie.

I understand that the Humane Society has received my complaints about it.

Wow!  I absolutely loved HANNA, from start to finish.  No animals (or humans) were harmed in the making of the film.  ;)

Not sure about that.  Neither was the Humane Society.
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2012, 03:54:43 PM »

I have to go to a concert at Carnegie Reciatal Hall tonight. I'd rather stay home.

Then don't go.

Easier said than done. I have to support a friend who's singing on the Victor Herbert songs.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2012, 04:01:27 PM »

I edited two scores today and spent a lot of time on Google and youtube looking at a couple of Irish sopranos with lovely voices, but neither seems to me ideal for the role I need to cast.

I like them both, but I like Lynda Lee who is on the EILEEN recording better! She's in at 1:15. The conductor, tenor and baritone are also on EILEEN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY84UBMun6I

I'm hoping that Dean will be back this summer for another reocording. He's terrific on EILEEN, and really good here. The soprano playing Galatea has the voice I hear for the heroine, but her audition tape last year was not very good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUCD8TTSD0U

I can certainly understand why you hope Dean will be back.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2012, 04:02:08 PM »

My engineer just picked up a bunch of hard drives that contain three different STAGE shows that we'll be issuing - they'll all come out in a row, one a month, beginning end of April.  Bacharach, Sondheim, and Lloyd Webber are the shows.

*GASP*  Lloyd Webber???

I bought a CD a while back called "The Best of Andrew Lloyd Webber."  Of course, the CD was blank.

Kidding Matthew, just kidding.

That's ok, I opened the same CD and found 12 tracks with different names with the same tune...

;D
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2012, 04:05:07 PM »

I like them both, but I like Lynda Lee who is on the EILEEN recording better! She's in at 1:15. The conductor, tenor and baritone are also on EILEEN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY84UBMun6I

I'm hoping that Dean will be back this summer for another reocording. He's terrific on EILEEN, and really good here. The soprano playing Galatea has the voice I hear for the heroine, but her audition tape last year was not very good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUCD8TTSD0U

I can certainly understand why you hope Dean will be back.

He's funny and sings like an angel. I als like the fact he acts well and he's the perfect operetta juvenile.

I knew he'd tickle your fancy!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2012, 04:09:17 PM »

I've finished my salad, and now I've got to wash a few dishes and run for the 104 bus. I hope the concert is not too long.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2012, 04:17:01 PM »

I had the misfortune to watch HANNA. This is the most awful, stupid, senseless, annoyingly daft movie I have ever seen.

;D  We also saw the movie.  I thought it had potential.

Jane

« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2012, 04:17:31 PM »

And a Very Happy Birthday to (former??) DR Adriana Patti!! ;D

Former is right - she won't be a Patti much longer :)

:o   :)

Jane

« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2012, 04:19:43 PM »

This photo of naturally formed sculptures by the lake was taken in Versoix, Switzerland.

That's amazing!

I have no idea how that person is walking on the sheet of ice.  Wait, the arm is reaching out as if she (?) is trying not to fall over.

Jane

« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2012, 04:20:30 PM »

I"m at the office waiting for a package to be delivered.  The mailman came and said that he didn't think I"d be open so he left it at the post office.  He's now going back to get it.

It is nice of him to go back & get the package, even if it is his job to do so.

He was back in less that 20 minutes. I really did appreciate it

:)

Jane

« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2012, 04:21:46 PM »

Ok, I've got to share what was in my package......a used piccolo I got on eBay!  Our piccolo player in band may not be at the next concert, so I said if she can't be there I'd do it.   Then I got out my piccolo and let's just say it was great in a 250 member marching band outside, but inside it was pretty shrill on the high notes and it was actually pretty difficult to play.  So, I got a nice piccolo at a really good price. It was recommended to my by a local piccolo player as her standard go to piccolo.    It came today and is in perfect shape.  I'm very happy about it.  Now I'm comfortable that I have the horns I need to be able to play the way I want to play.  :)

Congratulations on your new piccolo.  Have fun playing it.

Jane

« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2012, 04:23:38 PM »

Wow!  I absolutely loved HANNA, from start to finish.  No animals (or humans) were harmed in the making of the film.  ;)

I liked much of it & other parts were a bit silly when I thought about them.

Jane

« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2012, 04:25:38 PM »

JRand, good to see you are ok,  I thought the bad part was south of you, but you never know what came up for someone during the day, where people are or what they are doing at the moment a storm hits, so I' glad you checked in.

I received a long e-mail this morning from my good friend who lives in Dallas, Georgia.  Last night was a terrifying night for the people in that part of Georgia.  At one point, the tornado was one street away from him.

I'm glad your friend is ok.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2012, 04:30:08 PM »

JRand, good to see you are ok,  I thought the bad part was south of you, but you never know what came up for someone during the day, where people are or what they are doing at the moment a storm hits, so I' glad you checked in.

I received a long e-mail this morning from my good friend who lives in Dallas, Georgia.  Last night was a terrifying night for the people in that part of Georgia.  At one point, the tornado was one street away from him.

Thanks, he said he would much rather be back in Pasadena where all he had to worry about were earthquakes.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2012, 04:36:21 PM »

Not sure about that.  Neither was the Humane Society.

I believed you warned me not to watch so I kept my eyes closed through much of it while Keith fast forwarded.

Jane

« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2012, 04:38:37 PM »

Thanks, he said he would much rather be back in Pasadena where all he had to worry about were earthquakes.

I can understand how he feels.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2012, 04:45:50 PM »

Is anyone familiar with a TV chef named Cat Cora?
“One thing’s universal,

KevinH

« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2012, 04:56:51 PM »

I stumbled across this web site today.

I thought it was pretty funny, but I think I agree with the sentiment.  The only song from the show that I like is "Till I Hear You Sing."  And I prefer the You Tube version that is from a live perfromance by Ramin Karimloo at West End Live, rather than the one in the context of the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On1LfL3spTE&feature=related

Isn't he great?  I've watched that and Ramin's other live performances of that song many times!

KevinH

« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2012, 04:57:57 PM »

Wow, DR Ginny--how great is that--seeing James Stewart and Helen Hayes on stage!

Cillaliz

« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2012, 05:20:04 PM »

Oh instruments on eBay.  Super scary... as in, so many to choose from and a lot of the times they go for a steal.  Dangerous place to go :)

I've had it work out and not work out.  I found if I go for the ones that are really cheap , I usually get what I pay for or they are good instruments but need work that will make them more expensive than if I had just paid a little  more and gotten on that has been checked over before being listed.   The piccolo came from a highly rated seller and she said it had been checked out, serviced etc.  It was buy it now for what is a good "used" price.  I could have gotten the same one cheaper, but this looked like it was in better shape. 

I got a cheap sax a while back.  It needs new everything.  I think I'm going to contact the intstrument repair training program and see what it would cost to let them use it for practice.  If I can't get it back, I may just donate it

Cillaliz

« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2012, 05:25:19 PM »

Ok, I've got to share what was in my package......a used piccolo I got on eBay!  Our piccolo player in band may not be at the next concert, so I said if she can't be there I'd do it.   Then I got out my piccolo and let's just say it was great in a 250 member marching band outside, but inside it was pretty shrill on the high notes and it was actually pretty difficult to play.  So, I got a nice piccolo at a really good price. It was recommended to my by a local piccolo player as her standard go to piccolo.    It came today and is in perfect shape.  I'm very happy about it.  Now I'm comfortable that I have the horns I need to be able to play the way I want to play.  :)

Congratulations on your new piccolo.  Have fun playing it.

Thanks!

Cillaliz

« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2012, 05:28:29 PM »

Ditto

Cillaliz

« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2012, 05:28:59 PM »

Is anyone familiar with a TV chef named Cat Cora?

Yes, she's an Iron Chef

http://www.catcora.com/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 05:38:03 PM by Cillaliz »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2012, 05:38:57 PM »

I stumbled across this web site today.

I thought it was pretty funny, but I think I agree with the sentiment.  The only song from the show that I like is "Till I Hear You Sing."  And I prefer the You Tube version that is from a live perfromance by Ramin Karimloo at West End Live, rather than the one in the context of the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On1LfL3spTE&feature=related

Isn't he great?  I've watched that and Ramin's other live performances of that song many times!

Yes he is.  And he also fills out a t-shirt very nicely.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2012, 05:41:43 PM »

Wow, DR Ginny--how great is that--seeing James Stewart and Helen Hayes on stage!

They don't look so good now.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2012, 05:43:04 PM »

I haven't purchased too many books on eBooks so I might be wrong.  What I've seen is that books already out in paperback are $12.99 & newer books are more.  Today I looked to see what eBooks are available by Kate Furnivall (I enjoyed THE RED SCARF by her) and was surprised to find her latest book, which will be released on 3/6 is only $9.99.  I'm curious if anyone has seen this type of pricing.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up