Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SPENT  (Read 23465 times)

Robin

Re:SPENT
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2004, 05:05:23 AM »

Today, I want to go see the new version of Around the World in 80 Days.  I like Jackie Chan, even in American-made movies.  He's got more charisma than just about anyone.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2004, 06:01:49 AM »

Yes TCB....run adaware...it's free and it will help rid your system of the problem.

ALSO....add a fictitious name to your address book beginning with numbers such as 00000111@TCB.edu   any system that tries to use your system to send email will stop when it reaches a bogus email...and this will be the first one in your book.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2004, 06:02:15 AM »

I liked all the Three Stooges shorts that John Woo directed....oh wait....that was John WooHoo.

Michael

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2004, 06:13:56 AM »

I liked all the Three Stooges shorts that John Woo directed....oh wait....that was John WooHoo.

Grooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn nnnnnn
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2004, 06:49:04 AM »

Favorite action films:

DIE HARD (my favorite BY FAR)

EXECUTIVE DECISION

AIR FORCE ONE

GOLDFINGER and GOLDENEYE (my two favorite James Bonds)

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

DANTE'S PEAK
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2004, 06:51:07 AM »

Favorite action films:

Where Eagles Dare

Ice Station Zebra

mrkdl73

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2004, 07:01:05 AM »

I'm not really into action/adventure movies.

DR JoseSPiano - wasn't ignoring you yesterday, I'm just online in the am usually and didn't see your questions until today.  Yes, I'm in the actor house, at the end of the hall, across from the stairs to the basement.  It's the only house I know of where the entrance to the basement is on the second floor.  The spiral staircase is still there and two of our actors live up there in the "suite".  Brad is still here.  Don't know Tammy, so I'm guessing not.  Actually Brad is in the show playing assorted characters (Pete and Fair Barker).  Regarding cute bartenders, I'm not sure what your taste is, but one's a girl and the other (matinees) is a guy with a semi-mullet (sp?).  I'm not sure how one can have a "semi-mullet"  but I've seen it and it does exist.  

You may have played for me at UPTA's.  I auditioned there in '98 and '00.  I've never been to SETC's, though may go this fall.  What show did you MD here?

Michael

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2004, 07:12:04 AM »

Favorite action films:

Where Eagles Dare

Ice Station Zebra

I forgot about Where Eagles Dare. I really love the plot and Clint kills more people in this film than all of his other films put together
Never stop dreaming.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2004, 08:26:42 AM »

Hiya, gang!

Been slaving in the garden since I got home two weeks ago - it finally stopped raining about 3 days ago, and I tell ya, the weeding is a lot more pleasant.

Update on PennyO's audition in Noo Yawk - yes, I'm on the "high notes" list. Whether they ever do call me for a replacement gig is another story.... speaking of which I started another story yesterday... www.jewishculture.org has grants to theaters for commissions of new plays by Jewish writers - so I've sent a proposal to a few theaters who have benefitted financially from programming my show, along with the grant ap. The new piece is based on the life of Lyuba Levitsky, Polish opera and radio star who worked with the Partisan Brigades in the Vilna ghetto, arrested for smuggling food, executed in truly operatic last scene, singing her trademark song as she calmly walked the gauntlet to the firing squad, who finally silenced her voice. I've started to write this piece several times in the last 15 years - but there are precious few jokes in a story like this, and y'all know how I need the laughs... okay, so maybe it's time.

Another proposal I prepared (oy, to assemble THIS one!) was to take Jewish Thighs On Broadway (either the PG-13 version: strong language, brief partial nudity) or the Family Aundiences version (Brucer, Woody - that's what you saw at BRT) to the 5th annual Chutzpah Festival in Vancouver. And, of course, catching up on the book promotion by blitzing all the Northwest independent book stores with piles of intoxicating references from other bookstores around the country who made money by having me in to read. So this is semi-retirement, eh?

SPENT! Just spent! Oh, action films... love Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars (the original); Bruce Willis is usually good for a thrill or two; loved Terminator, of course. I tend to prefer quieter films. Was North By Northwest an action film? I love that.
PennyO

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2004, 08:42:04 AM »

Good morning. Again. Thought I'd check in mid-walk. No, I don't carry my laptop on my walks. But I started out, went a few blocks (checked out a yard sale - can't resist) and decided I was freezing my a-s off. (It's overcast and drizzling.) So I've come back for another layer of clothing. Now off I go once more.

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2004, 09:00:00 AM »

I have thought and thought and thought and I cannot come up with a favorite action  movie. Maybe some of the early James' Bond movies and some vintage Fay Wray movie about airplane pilots...that is the best I can do at this moment.

I am now eating a bowl of low-carb Total and listening to my Friends of Distinction CD. Will soon go out and weed 'n feed my back and front yards...then shower and scoot up to Wilsonville to meet my buddy Mark. After our unseemly visit to the "beach" we will go out on the town and meet our friends Terry (a.k.a Steve Cochran) and Jim ( a country boy from Indiana).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 09:01:10 AM by MBarnum »

Jason

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2004, 09:06:29 AM »

MBarnum: Remember, we want PHOTOS! Hehe...

PennyO: Welcome back! Hope Carlotta works out for you, and even if she doesn't, it sounds like you've got your hands full already with other fun stuff.

My hairs are cut. It took less than 20 minutes. It doesn't look too bad...just a generic boy's haircut. Add a little sculpting mud and I'm ready to head out to Grand Central Station (am I insane??) to the Banana Republic and see if I can scrounge up something that fits me to wear for DR MusicGuy's concert. Then I'm off to Times Square (again--am I nuts?) to get a new pair of dress shoes and then I believe I will treat myself to a motion picture. Don't know what yet, but I'm hoping to miss the matinee crowds today, so I better skee-daddle. Ciao!

Kerry

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2004, 09:37:16 AM »

I don't know that I have a favorite action film.  It's not my favorite genre, but there may be one I like and just don't think of as an action film.  I need to think.
I like boat races.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2004, 10:03:02 AM »

I prefer my action films animated... Road Runner, Bugs Bunny et. al.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2004, 10:04:24 AM »

I, too, like Mr. Woo's Hong Kong films, especially the oft imitated The Killer.  I also find Face/Off fun.  Silly, but fun.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2004, 10:05:25 AM »

And might I just ask, where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was an overcast drizzly Saturday.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2004, 10:13:03 AM »

I have really gone off Arnold Swartz... since he's become governor of California...is he really such a homophobic pig as he's portrayed?
Portayed by whom?  He's never been a homophobe, to my recolection.  Someone's putting spin on him.  Again.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2004, 10:13:45 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, after waking up at 7:00AM yesterday, I ended up sleeping in today.  I guess it all evens out in the end.  But since I didn't get to sleep until around 3:00... I got my eight hours.

Topic of the Day: -All already mentioned - DIE HARD, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, and that's all I can really think of - well, I think that's all I've ever seen.

DR mrkdl73 - No worries.  I didn't think you were ignoring me.  -I had forgotten about the stairway to the basement being on the second floor - very unique.  Is the basement still set up like "La Grand Jatte"?  *They had a party there once where each resident - or residents - of each room had to decorate their room in a theme of a country.  It was an international party.  Since they had props leftover from "Sunday in the Park With George", the basement became France.  *OH, and each resident also had to provide light food and drinks from each country.

As for UPTAs... Hmmm... I can't recall right now if I've done for now for four or for five years.  So, if it's been for five, I've played for you.  If it's only been for four, I haven't.

Well, I want to get up to school to get some more practicing in today - gotta keep that proverbial ball rolling.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2004, 10:17:21 AM »

OH!...

Broasted Chicken... Broasted Potatoes (or Potatos, if you prefer).... YUM!!!

*The Food section of The Washington Post did a "search" for Broasted Chicken a few months ago.  Very fun article - and informative.  Unfortunately, the closest true, approved Broasted Chicken place to DC is not that close.  Do you have Broasted Chicken near you?
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2004, 10:20:27 AM »

Dear DR Michael Shayne: Love your new pic with Jason Graae!  You look great as a blond!!!

;D ;D ;)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 10:21:56 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2004, 10:28:23 AM »

And, speaking of pics, DR Jason, YOU ARE SO CUTE!

:D :D 8)

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2004, 10:30:34 AM »

Whow! No drizzle here. It's going to be a blazing hot 90 today (85 now) with not a puff of wind in the air. Argh!

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2004, 10:32:08 AM »

Going to attempt q new pic here in a minute. Not the greatest but more colorful than the one now on view.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2004, 10:34:56 AM »

...the other (matinees) is a guy with a semi-mullet (sp?).  I'm not sure how one can have a "semi-mullet"  but I've seen it and it does exist. ...
Short in the front, thinking about getting long in the back?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2004, 11:04:48 AM »

I'm not sure what an action film is anymore.  Can I say Gunga Din?  My favourite adventure film of all time is the one Woody mentioned Adventures of Robin Hood.
Yes, Gunga Din is an action film.  The difference between the older action films and the current generation is that the older films didn't have to be constant action; they were able to take their time to establish character and motivation.

I guess it's easy to say that the MTV videos changed all that, with the visual editing style becoming rapid and "shocking."  But Raiders of the Lost Ark was released prior to the real MTV revolution, so blaming MTV doesn't really work.

On the other hand, compare Raiders with Spielberg's earlier Jaws, which was much more leisurely in establishing it's premise and tone.  Is Jaws an action film?  Absolutely.  But it follows a different set of rules.  So does the original Star Wars, which gave us time to understand Luke before plunging him in a race across the galaxy.  

This is also why, with the exception of Goldeneye, I included no sequels in my original list of favorites.  Sequels cheat, even when they don't mean to, because they don't have to take the time setting up their stories.  (All right, T2 is a sequel, but it fortunately takes it's time in establishing the kid at the front of the film, a rarity for the form.)

The storytelling suffers when the director and screenwriter are instructed to "cut to the chase" from the very beginning of the film.  Without establishing an environment for the action, the action makes little sense.  And is it any wonder that so many of the current action films have more than one screenwriter?  How can any one writer be expected to come up with a plethora of ideas for action set-pieces?  Easier, by far, to harvest the ideas from a field of writers, and then bale them together, hoping it will all make sense to the audience.

I haven't seen the film, but I understand this year's Hellboy took an interesting slant on creating an action film.  What was released to the theaters was the producer version, with quick-cutting to the chase.  The DVD release, I've heard, will include sequences that explain how the characters get from one chase to the next, provicing more detail and motivation.  If this is true, I hope the DVD release becomes a major success.  Maybe it will help pave the way for a return to those ancient storytelling devices.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 11:17:09 AM by S. Woody White »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2004, 11:17:49 AM »

Well, there's no drizzle here, despite what dear reader Panni has said.  I see no trace of drizzle whatsoever.  Perhaps she walked through some sprinklers.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2004, 11:19:04 AM »

MattH -- I love your new photo.

Jason -- Your new photo is an improvement over Tonya's photo (did you sell that other photo to Panni?), but not as cute as the real Jason.

Robin -- I prefer your real photo, but I am a traditionalist.

Michael S -- You change your photo more frequently than my ex used to change his underwear.  Do you rearrange your living room furniture once a month?

TOD

All three DIE HARD films (yes, even the much maligned III)

For some strange reason, I really enjoy INDEPENDENCE DAY.  It is mindless and corny, but damn, it is a lot of fun.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2004, 11:29:12 AM »

Hey, I can answer this topic of the day question. The Princess Bride is an action movie. Fencing on the edge of a cliff is as exciting as it gets.

BK, at least when I threw up on Sunset Boulevard, I had the decency to do it into a bag.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2004, 11:31:32 AM »

Well, there's no drizzle here, despite what dear reader Panni has said.  I see no trace of drizzle whatsoever.  Perhaps she walked through some sprinklers.

Actually I did walk by (not through) some sprinklers and got sprayed a bit. But the drizzle to which I referred came from the sky. Honestly! Would I lie to you? It was earlier in the day, not now, earlier, much earlier. I have witnesses - the people at the yard sale at which I stopped commented on the DRIZZLE. ...It's still overcast, though. Can't argue about that.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2004, 11:41:41 AM »

Let's kick this puppy over to Page 3!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up