Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MUTANT WORDS  (Read 42164 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: MUTANT WORDS
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2012, 03:47:29 PM »

Yesterday’s visit to the Ophthalmologist was uneventful; my eye pressure had reduced to near normal.  He dilated by eyes, did lots of measuring and chart reading and decided we should give the drops more time to work before we went for surgery (so much for our Drs doing unnecessary work for the charges); so, I was remanded back to my optometrist for further monitoring.

We had all sort of time to kill, but with my eyes fully dilated I was not in the mood for much. We went downtown, walked about a bit, and had a nice lunch at a Southern Mexican style restaurant. The lunch special was “Taco Salad” (the waitress did comment that it was made from Salmon, but I said fine. What arrived was delicious, but would not pass muster as a “Taco Salad” (except it was in a shell) – the meat was large chucks of nicely broiled salmon, the beans were cold and black (and tangy), there was no cheese, the greens were a glorious mix of everything but Iceberg, and it was dressed in a lightly spiced  vinegar and oil, no guacamole, no sour cream.  Graet dish – but not a “Taco Salad”.

We came home about 1 PM.  I expected the spend a miserable few hours of coping with the damn dilated eyes. Almost tripped over a large box the Mail Man had left on the stoop – I anticipated nothing that large from Amazon, it was too large for a slim self-published book – a bomb maybe?

Well, we got inside and while Woody paid the tax ( treats around for the dog, I set about diffusing the bomb. It had $10.85 of postage more than I would ever pay to ship a simple bomb.

Inside, lo and behold was a delightful tome and a nifty “Jesus” cup (Does Zack K have a Pat Pend?).

With my eyes, I was not about to read a book – but I couldn’t resist a peek.
So I peeked, and peeked, and peeked some more…I peeked till I could barely peek at all.

And was I surprised!  No “Poor Little Me” litany, no “Misunderstood” Creative Artist, no dish-the-bitch memories – just page after page of fast-paced re-creation of the creative (and in one noteworthy instance, destructive) process. And, most of the “dish” was that the bitch was charming.

You know how when as a kid you’d go to a Saturday matinee horror film and find yourself wanting to scream “Don’t go down the cellar steps!” – well that’s how you feel when you see the best laid traps of Madam Machiavelli and her hench-husband bring about the bloody abortion of a very special creative enterprise aborning. That our intrepid author continued what became eventually a lost cause for redemption (I’m right, god dammit!) makes us pause and reconsider our  measure of the man.

It’s fun to find all sorts of unexpected references to folks we know from other places - Lea Michele, from Glee. (of course there’s Barrett Foa, with nary a reference to his current high-profile status as a leading supporting character in the top rated NCIS-LA – an omission I attribute to the author’s not being familiar with every show new show on TV). But the author is no fancy famous-name dropper – the book is filled with kind professional references to all sorts of the great supporting cast behind the record business.

Any reader will move the author a few points up on their admiration meter.
To learn more about the makings of an album, and the makings of a man, read the book.
WARNING – reading this book with dilated eyes will make one teary.

der Brucer

A book about hundreds of shows, and hundreds of albums’ and hundreds of people and one or two eateries, and no Index.  THERE IS NO DAMN INDEX!

What a heartwarming post.  I worked really hard to write this tome fairly and not have it be a "revenge" piece.  And the handful of times the poor pitiful me syndrome was starting, muse Margaret was there to stop it.  As regards the index - I didn't do it because I didn't want anyone who thinks they're in the book to be able to flip to the index to find themselves :)  And the proof of that decision being a good one for me happened the day my first copy of the book arrived - someone came over who thought they were in the book and immediately picked it up and flipped to where the index would be - I just smiled.

Now, since you've already written this beautiful post, how about just cut and pasting it over to amazon?  :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2012, 03:48:23 PM »

DR TCB have you ever asked if your pharmacy delivers?

There was a pharmacist who no longer works there who delivered a prescription or two, but that was when they screwed up and didn't fill them timely.  My good friend Carole also works there, and normally she would pick them up and bring them to me.  Unfortunately, she didn't work yesterday and she was not available.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2012, 03:49:38 PM »

Please, no rain this weekend.  I really need sunshine and walks to not have any more tantrums.
My mouth seems to have a mind of it's own at times like that.   :-[ :-[

While he doesn't have tantrums ;)  Craig is not happy there is so much rain during his week off.  It is making returning to the East Coast more appealing vs staying moving north of us, and to more rain.

Well, it never rains in Seattle.
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »

I WANT RAIN~!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2012, 03:50:06 PM »

There are no new or interesting pictures in the book that you haven't already seen DR TCB.....FULL SERVICE, the book, that is.

I like A NIGHT TO REMEMBER - but so many of the people are archetypes instead of named characters, that it's hard to find someone to care about......
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Cillaliz

« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2012, 03:50:22 PM »

We had a little, very little, today.  The ground is cracking and we really need the moisture

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2012, 03:50:27 PM »

Thanks for the PD/M&J post DR ELMORE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2012, 03:50:53 PM »

Good news:  A new Supernatural tonight

Bad News:  Garth, a very annoying character is back tonight

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2012, 03:51:01 PM »

Tonight, I'm off to a production of my favorite ALW Sunset Blvd done by a theatre company in Walnut Creek.  The same person that played Norma for me is playing Norma again.  However, their budget is MUCH bigger, and their orchestra has 24 pieces.  (mine had 12 or something like that) 

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2012, 03:51:16 PM »

There were 37 guests when I got here....and now there are NONE!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2012, 03:51:41 PM »

We shall expect a report DR MATTHEW.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2012, 03:52:47 PM »

I am halfway through BK's new book!  Thank You!  It's marvelous!  Review at B&N to follow!

I read FULL SERVICE a while back.  It becomes quite repetitious.

Hey, td!  What a wonderful surprise!
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2012, 03:53:36 PM »

I'm feeling slightly giddy.  I don't know why.

Other than it's Friday, it's Payday, and there is a lot of buzzing excitement over the Mega Millions jackpot which is now at a record-sharring $650 million.  Can you imagine what you'd do with that kind of money?

Actually...no.  That is soooo much money that, other than hope to become an investor in Kritzerland, I would have absolutely no idea where to start.

:D

I read an article on why you don't want to win this.  I had heard before how many people end up bankrupt and/or divorced.

I'll chance that

We are older, it would be ok. ;)

People who won talked about all the "friends" they lost who only wanted to mooch off of them.

Jane

« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2012, 03:54:43 PM »

I WANT RAIN~!!!

I will gladly send you some of ours.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2012, 04:00:43 PM »

There are no new or interesting pictures in the book that you haven't already seen DR TCB.....FULL SERVICE, the book, that is.

I like A NIGHT TO REMEMBER - but so many of the people are archetypes instead of named characters, that it's hard to find someone to care about......

I like it specifically for that reason - it just presents the story, which I find more than dramatic enough.  Interestingly, the most moving thing in the film for me is when the musicians stay on and begin playing Nearer My God to Thee.  A wonderful moment.  Were the people on the Californian ever reprimanded or brought up on charges?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2012, 04:01:02 PM »

Look forward to td's review on Barnes and Noble.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2012, 04:01:32 PM »

Also, if any readers of the book are on Goodreads, just cut and paste your review there, too.  The more the merrier.

Jane

« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2012, 04:04:20 PM »

Kitty decided to return to Craig.  I enjoyed her company while it lasted.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2012, 04:08:16 PM »

Other than it's Friday, it's Payday, and there is a lot of buzzing excitement over the Mega Millions jackpot which is now at a record-sharring $650 million.  Can you imagine what you'd do with that kind of money?

Actually...no.  That is soooo much money that, other than hope to become an investor in Kritzerland, I would have absolutely no idea where to start.

I read an article on why you don't want to win this.  I had heard before how many people end up bankrupt and/or divorced.

I'd love to have to opportunity to find out if I would go bankrupt. ;)

I saw a video clip yesterday with Suze Orman and she said that most of the time the main problem (not the only problem, of course) is because they get it all in one lump sum.  If you parse it out over 25 or so years, it's much more manageable AND you only pay taxes on what you get each time, so your taxes would be much, Much, MUCH (that's three muches) less.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2012, 04:15:16 PM »

Woohoo, I did get my BK book yesterday! Along with the sparkling gift and two Kritzerland CDs that I ordered!

It may be awhile before I can sit down to read it as I have a couple of others ahead. Right now I am being entertained by the scandalously wonderful FULL SERVICE by Scotty Bowers.

DRs JRand and Elmore, I hope you have your copies of this book....you would love it!

I would like to read this in the hospital / rest home, and it is available on Kindle.  Would I be missing out on a lot of photographs if I ordered the Kindle version?

I think you would be fine with the kindle version. Most of the photos are of people you are already familiar with, other then those of the author....just image that the author was a very handsome, young marine in the 1940s.

Jane

« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2012, 04:16:48 PM »

I'd love to have to opportunity to find out if I would go bankrupt. ;)

I saw a video clip yesterday with Suze Orman and she said that most of the time the main problem (not the only problem, of course) is because they get it all in one lump sum.  If you parse it out over 25 or so years, it's much more manageable AND you only pay taxes on what you get each time, so your taxes would be much, Much, MUCH (that's three muches) less.

Did she mention setting up a trust fund to reduce the taxes & make it all more manageable?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2012, 04:36:11 PM »

Then I am way ahead of the game -- except I don't have a ticket.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2012, 04:39:28 PM »

Whatever you do, BK, do not tell us how A NIGHT TO REMEMBER ends!

Don't you go down on the boat?

Hell no, I was water-skiing behind the boat before we hit the berg; and then snow skiing after.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2012, 04:42:22 PM »

There was a pharmacist who no longer works there who delivered a prescription or two, but that was when they screwed up and didn't fill them timely.  My good friend Carole also works there, and normally she would pick them up and bring them to me.  Unfortunately, she didn't work yesterday and she was not available.

The pharmacist is no longer working there, because he got promoted to a different store.  I didn't want anyone to think he got fired for delivering my prescription.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:36:04 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2012, 04:44:03 PM »

The pharmacist is no longer working there, because he got promoted to a different store.  I didn't want anyone to think he got fired for delivering my prescription

LOL, I never considered that was a possibility.   

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2012, 04:45:06 PM »

Kenneth More was Lightoller.  He was someone to root for.
“One thing’s universal,

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2012, 04:49:23 PM »

The ground is cracking and we really need the moisture

"Cracking and needs moisture" - I utter those very words each morning when I look into the mirror.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2012, 04:51:03 PM »

Now, since you've already written this beautiful post, how about just cut and pasting it over to amazon?  :)

But I said Dammit, Janet!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2012, 04:51:54 PM »

But I said Dammit, Janet!

der Brucer

Dammit is fine.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2012, 04:57:21 PM »

And speaking of TITANIC THE MUSICAL...  I always wondered why Maury Yeston had the character of Barrett die when the ship went down; when everyone who is familiar with the story of the Ttanic knows that Barrett survived.  It wasn't until recently that I learned there were two Fred Barretts on the Titanic; one lived and one died.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:37:35 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up