Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THREE STAGES  (Read 39874 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE THREE STAGES
« on: April 10, 2012, 12:05:18 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were in three stages, and now it is time for you to post until the three cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE THREE STAGES
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:06:17 AM »

And the word of the day is: CUMSHAW!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 12:13:15 AM »

Matthew, you are correct.  Terrence Mann was the rock star with all the cash on "Smash."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:20:28 AM »

I was just about to post this in yesterday's notes, but I wasn't quick enough...so here it is for Larry:

I just received four, count 'em FOUR CDs today!  Fortunately, I actually ordered them, so it's a good thing.  Anyway, I just received from Dresscircle.co.uk, the new Sweeney Todd with Michael Ball and Imelda Staunton,...

Well, I'm listening to Sweeney Todd right now and for the most part, I like Michael Ball and Imelda Staunton.  HOWEVER, they didn't include "Green Finch and Linnet Bird" and the guy playing Anthony is a breathy singer. :P

There's also a bit of whisper/talking...they are definitely performing for the microphones.  And like something else that BK mentioned, the singers are very far forward in the mix.  The "orchestra" is hard to hear at times.  It's very much like a Teeny Todd.

How did you like the ootleg-bay?

Oved-lay it!!  I will definitely listen to that again after this. ;D

I know it's more complete than the ew recording, but is it better?

I just learned that Josh Dallas, the Prince in the series ONCE UPON A TIME, has a musical theatre past: in London, he played Gaby in thEnglish National Opera production of ON THE  TOWN and Tony, the title role in THE BOY FRIEND.

Actually, I just realized that I forgot to bring the complete recording here to work, so I'll check when I get home and compare.  I thought that I had it with me, but I don't.  I hate it when that happens.

I haven't listened to the whole thing, but I listened to "Green Finch" (things like "how is itchu sing" always drive me crazy) and Anthony's "Johanna."  He's much less breathy than on the recording (singing live in a performance helps, although he also sings things like "wontchu give" and "lookatchu" :P).  Otherwise, the whole thing sounds pretty good.  I really just missed so much from the official (single-disc) recording, so I'm sure that I'll listen to this much more than that.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 01:15:22 AM »

good morning to all.
Never stop dreaming.

Doug R

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 01:18:13 AM »

Received "Album Produced By" and gift plus magnet today  :)  What a very nicely presented book it is too.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 02:15:20 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 03:44:52 AM »

Good morning, all! I'm back to the really strange dreams again: I was working at Drama Book Shop at 48th and Seventh, then we were all partying somewhere overlooking Broadway - there were musicians  or perhaps we were the band? - and I stole a piece of music from DR Ginny's bag, thinking I'll tell her i've taken this, then I'm heading back to a hotel barefoot and wondering if I could retrieve my shoes before the flight back home; I take a wrong turn so instead of walking down Broadway I'm stuck on a construction site looking down on Broadway and having a bitch of a time getting back to Broadway. Somewhere in all of this I remember a subway station as well. It was nice when the alarm started ringing.

Around 8 or so, I will head downtown. I have to pick up at Toyland a few things that I left there last weekend and wait for the office rental manager (a clue!). I'm taking some work to do while I wait, and that's my day.

Hopefully, I will be home by early afternoon.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 04:31:57 AM »

I assume the TOD is about less-than-famous series that didn't really run, or am i mistaken?

I recall very much enjoying a short-lived Jewish-flavored series called KEEP THE FAITH with Bert Convy and Howard Da Silva, and Nancy Walker was in it.

Here's its IMDB listing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457961/

Today, or even for a reading of the old scripts, I'd cast either our very own BK (or a BK type) in the Howard da Silva part (the "older" 60-ish rabbi) and either Jonathan Groff or Aaron Tveit as the young rabbi (the young rabbi is not IIRC supposed to look stereotypically Jewish, just be able to act Jewish).

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 04:39:28 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 04:51:00 AM »

And the word of the day is: CUMSHAW!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  OOH,MY FEET

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 04:55:10 AM »

TOD: I remember a wonderful sitcom that didn't last long called "The Associates," which featured four promising young actors as new attorneys (Martin Short, Ally Walker, Joe Regalbuto and Shelley Smith) plus the elder partner, Wilfred Hyde White.

Attorneys never go out of style, unfortunately; and humorous ones are in ever in short supply.

I could see getting unknowns for the parts, but it would also be fun to try Anna Kendrick in the Ally Walker role, Hunter Parrish or Matt Lauria in Short's role, Michael Cera in Regalbuto's part and, in a bit of blind casting, as a brainy black attorney Jurnee Smollett instead of the not-so-dumb blond Smith.  He's not old enough to take over as a substitute for White, but John Malcovich could play intelligent enough and certainly off-the-wall enough to make a disarming senior partner.  

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 05:00:11 AM »

Off to Toyland! I just learned on CBS THIS MORNING that this is the centennial of the launch of the Titanic. I immediately thought of DRs TCB and JRand61.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 05:18:04 AM »

;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 05:18:25 AM »

Good morning   ;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 05:20:33 AM »

Mega vibes for everyone. 

Off to work.

My weekend was overwhelming with stuff to do.  I'm tired. 

;D

KevinH

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 05:38:32 AM »

Hello from NYC!

So glad to hear that TCB seems to be progressing well.

KevinH

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 05:40:08 AM »

I should have asked for travel vibes yesterday.  My flight from Buffalo to LaGuardia was delayed by about 2 1/2 hours.  We sat on the tarmac for about 2 hours before taking off.  The problem was that only one runway was being used at LaGuardia due to high winds.

KevinH

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 05:42:01 AM »

I saw our own Brent Barrett and Karen Mason at Birdland last night.  What a fantastic show!  They were accompanied by a pianist-don't remember his name , but he was great.  Their usual accompaniest, Chris Denny, was out of town. 

KevinH

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 05:47:30 AM »

The show was a tribute to Kander and Ebb.  Karen started, jokingly calling herself Brent's opening act.  She sang "All That Jazz," "Say Yes," among others.  Brent sang "Sometimes a Day Goes By," "Life Is," "THe Skin of Our Teeth."  Brent also sang "All That Jazz."  They  did duets on "Marry Me/Married,"  "New York, New York," "Why Must I Wake UP," (That's the name, right?), and the finale was "A Quiet Thing." 

KevinH

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 05:52:42 AM »

DR elmore---I met Barry Kleinbort and told him how I know you and BK.  He was very friendly.  I also met Sierra Boggess and had my picture taken with her. 

And when Brent introduced one of the songs from his album he mentioned you as the orchestrator.

KevinH

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 05:53:32 AM »

Oh, Ben--I enjoyed that little story about Brent from the other day!

FJL

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 06:03:06 AM »

TOD: I remember a wonderful sitcom that didn't last long called "The Associates," which featured four promising young actors as new attorneys (Martin Short, Ally Walker, Joe Regalbuto and Shelley Smith) plus the elder partner, Wilfred Hyde White.

Attorneys never go out of style, unfortunately; and humorous ones are in ever in short supply.

I could see getting unknowns for the parts, but it would also be fun to try Anna Kendrick in the Ally Walker role, Hunter Parrish or Matt Lauria in Short's role, Michael Cera in Regalbuto's part and, in a bit of blind casting, as a brainy black attorney Jurnee Smollett instead of the not-so-dumb blond Smith.  He's not old enough to take over as a substitute for White, but John Malcovich could play intelligent enough and certainly off-the-wall enough to make a disarming senior partner.  

Yes, an effervescent show!  (from the "Mary Tyler Moore Show"and "Taxi" creators)

THE ASSOCIATES title song dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozcg_WjcPd8

sung by B.B. King.  A commenter on Youtube wondered if the theme song set up the wrong kind of show

FJL

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 06:04:49 AM »

Thanks for the Birdland report, Kevin!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 06:16:40 AM »

TOD:

Bringing back a successful TV show can be a tricky business. 

Reunion shows seem to be a safer route.

I'm sure there are others, but the only series that I can think of that did well the second time around was DRAGNET.

Of course, DALLAS is trying for a comeback this summer, so we'll see how that goes.

But, to answer the question of which of my favorite shows would I like to see come back:

None.  When they're done, they're done.

You can dream…or you can do.

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 06:21:18 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!

Good morning, all! I'm back to the really strange dreams again: I was working at Drama Book Shop at 48th and Seventh, then we were all partying somewhere overlooking Broadway - there were musicians  or perhaps we were the band? - and I stole a piece of music from DR Ginny's bag...

So that's where it went...

Actually, yesterday I did clean a piece of music out of my bag.  For Easter Sunday, Fr. Richard wanted the Methodist hymnal version of "Christ the Lord is Risen Today," so he made bulletin inserts and mine was still in my bag when we got home.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 06:22:21 AM »

I am off this morning for a blood test and to have my eyes examined.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 06:24:35 AM »

Tuesday.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 06:25:21 AM »

I guess I would like (another) Dark Shadows retooling - but I am not sure there is anyone working today that I would like to see in it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 06:26:13 AM »

Congrats to DR JMK on his Galt bonus.

Yes 100 years ago today the Titanic left Southampton for Cherbourg.....
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up