Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MUSIC OF THE NIGHT  (Read 38390 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: THE MUSIC OF THE NIGHT
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 08:04:22 AM »

I didn't follow the link DR JMK.....

Don't know the trivia answer....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2012, 08:04:59 AM »

And vis a vis BK's notes, for those who care:

DESIREE

BELL, BOOK AND CANDLE
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 08:05:51 AM »

The funny thing wasn't the link, JR, it was that THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RINGS was included in an email about documentaries.  :)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 08:08:31 AM »

I see my library is in the process of releasing all the dvds they got 2 weeks ago. I am only first for one of them: Something Borrowed. But i am a big fan of Emily Giffin (the author). So i am really hoping they made a good movie out of the book.

I see my library also got Footloose and My Week with Marilyn. But those aren't released yet.

I need to get Breaking Dawn back from my sister (i lent it to her). It's due today.

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 08:10:29 AM »

I am really hoping that the book i am dying to read (which is the sequel to a book i really liked) will be released today (it's in verification). Although i don't know that i'm first in line. So i guess i shouldn't get my hopes up. If that book is released today i will read it first.

I know the library has the Hunger Games movie companion waiting for me. I'm curious to see what the book looks like and how much background info there will be. I heard the director has decided he will not do Catching Fire.  I hope that having a new director does not change the tone too much. Although since i didn't like the shaking cameras maybe the new director won't do that.

Doug R

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 08:19:01 AM »

Did anyone else get the kind of funny Amazon email o' the day advertising 58% off of Documentaries on DVD and Blu-ray, which included a link to THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING?  ;)

I had an "Up to 58% off blu-ray" yesterday and the main link was to the Sound of Music.

Doug R

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 08:22:24 AM »

Good to see some use is being put to old nuclear missile silos. One in Salina, Kansas is being converted into luxury apartments. Not much of a view though.

Doug R

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 08:29:50 AM »

TOD:

I grew up in the '50s listening to the BBC Light Programme, a radio station which played easy listening and light classical music. I remember often hearing the Warsaw Concerto, the Spellbound Concerto and the theme from The Big Country.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 08:41:36 AM »

And the word of the day is: MACARONIC!

He's on top of the Mormon Temples, isn't he?
I thought he played the mambo.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 09:08:56 AM »

And the word of the day is: MACARONIC!

He's on top of the Mormon Temples, isn't he?
I thought he played the mambo.

I thought he invented the radio.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 09:09:11 AM »

Good morning to all.  Happy Thursday!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 09:37:09 AM »

hello, goodbye

Matthew

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 09:37:21 AM »

vibes for all who need them

Matthew

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2012, 09:39:04 AM »

it's over now, the music of the night

Matthew

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012, 09:41:31 AM »

Reed books for Annie are done for the orchestra read-through on Saturday.  Using two players, one solely on flute and one on clarinet/sop sax/alto/tenor sax.  There are 5 in the orchestration with crazy doublings as they all play flute and they all play some form of sax and/or clarinet.  Of course, I don't have the budget or the room to put them in our pit.  I think this will work as the keyboard will fill in the rest.   Now, to program the damn keyboard....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 09:57:37 AM »

TOD:   It's hard to remember which music first got to me, but my grandfather lived with us for a short time and he had a hi fi console and a bunch of 78 rpm recordings that I loved to play.  My favorites were Les Paul and Mary Ford doing "The World is Waiting for the Sunrise" and "Whispering Hope."  Then there was the radio and the hits of the era.  My parents would have friends over and we'd all end listening to some music.  My most vivid memories of those "early 50s" revolve around a bunch of us doing the "Bunny Hop" in the living room.

My favorite actress/singer of that era was Gail Storm.  I used to sing along with every Gail Storm song that was played on radio while I was listening.

The highlight of the week was watching "Your Hit Parade" on TV, sponsored by Lucky Strike.  All the hits of the day were performed by Dorothy Collins and Russell Arms and Giselle McKenzie and Snooky Lanson.  It was TERRIFIC!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:04:30 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2012, 10:00:48 AM »

Vibes to all.  Pain free vibes to dear TCB.  Hoping all Moms are doing well.

DITTO! DITTO! & DITTO!

CONTINUED HEALTH, WORK & HOUSE VIBES TO YOU DR DANISE!!

JMK

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2012, 10:00:50 AM »

The first tv I remember was an old blonde Sears Silvertone black and white number on metal legs that had a hi-fi in the top.  Probably years before I was even born, the needle had been removed from the stylus, but one day I was playing around with some of my parents' old 78s, including an Edward R. Murrow I CAN HEAR IT NOW folio, and I discovered that if I put my fingernail on the record, I could hear the sound!  I kid you not.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:14:26 AM by JMK »

Jane

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2012, 10:03:09 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  My mother has an appointment with a chiropractor today who I'm afraid won't be the miracle worker she wants her to be.  Because I'm providing transportation and moral support, I will be E & T most of the midday.

Wishes the chiropractor does some good. 

Jane

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2012, 10:04:48 AM »

I am super happy. I just received confirmation that i got approved to review the netgalley book I was really wanting to read. I had already got rejected for the other two i asked for. But this is the one i wanted to read the most. IT's a new dystopian book called The Glimpse by Claire Merle.

That's great!  Is this an eBook?  I gather they give you the book free prior to the official release date.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2012, 10:05:29 AM »

TOD:

Between my sister's listining to rock'n'roll and Motown and my parents with their big band music and the popular vocalists of the early 60s (not to mention Lawrence Welk, Kraft Music Hall and Bell Telephone Hour on tv), I was surrounded by all kinds of music as a youngen.  But it would be a while before I developed my own tastes.  I do recall that my first personal music purchases were Millie Small's "My Boy Lollipop" and the MARY POPPINS soundtrack.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2012, 10:14:58 AM »

The first tv I remember was an old blonde Sears Silvertone black and white number on metal legs that had a hi-fi in the top.  Probably years before I was even born, the needle had been removed from the stylus, but one day I was playing around with some of my parents' old 78s, including an Edward R. Murray I CAN HEAR IT NOW folio, and I discovered that if I put my fingernail on the record, I could hear the sound!  I kid you not.
Murray or Murrow?

I have no idea what you're talking about.   ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2012, 10:19:44 AM »

I used to play records with my fingernail, too.

Wasn't the same as stereo.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2012, 10:20:21 AM »

Good to see some use is being put to old nuclear missile silos. One in Salina, Kansas is being converted into luxury apartments. Not much of a view though.

Not much to see in Salinas, anyway DR DOUG....and very convenient during twister season.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2012, 10:21:10 AM »

Hitting a few minor snags on Mom's recovery.  Her doctor has given her a new diuretic in order to rid her of the final vestiges of fluid in her lungs.  While this has delayed her going to rehab and prolonged the hospital stay, I'm glad that they are making sure that she is in a good state before discharging her.

I wasn't happy to find on Wednesday that they had moved Mom for the third time since being in the PCU.  I'm sure this contributes to her occaisional confusion about her whereabouts.  Also, she now has a roommate who has a HUGE family that is constantly visiting her.  Last night I counted ten people crowding her side of the room.  I'm surprised that the nurses are allowing this--I though my sisters and I were pushing the limits with three.  My mom was getting agitated with the noise and the parade of people passing by her bed and wanted me to help her out of bed so that she could find another room.  Before we left, my sister and I complained at the nurse's desk about the situation and requested another room.  As much as I don't want to see her moved yet again, I don't want her to stay in that room if she has to spend another day in the hospital.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2012, 10:21:40 AM »

DR TCB should be at the convalescent hospital at least two weeks.  You can find the address on his FB page or email me and I'll send it to you.

Jane

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2012, 10:22:28 AM »

DR TCB I hope you received the card we sent to your home last week.  I hadn't expected it to get to the hospital before you left there.

Jane

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2012, 10:24:18 AM »

DR Dan (the Man) I hope your mother is moved to a quiet room where she can get the rest she needs.

CONTINUED HEALING VIBES FOR HER!!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2012, 10:26:09 AM »

Was it here that I first saw this sad story on the World's Largest Record Collection?
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2012, 10:26:09 AM »

I am super happy. I just received confirmation that i got approved to review the netgalley book I was really wanting to read. I had already got rejected for the other two i asked for. But this is the one i wanted to read the most. IT's a new dystopian book called The Glimpse by Claire Merle.

That's great!  Is this an eBook?  I gather they give you the book free prior to the official release date.
It is an ebook. I think netgalley is almost exclusively ebooks. For me since I do not have a blog it is only ebooks. I already have it on my kindle!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up