Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MUSIC OF THE NIGHT  (Read 38389 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re: THE MUSIC OF THE NIGHT
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2012, 10:26:45 AM »

Thanks, DR Jane!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2012, 10:29:52 AM »

DR Dan the man best wishes for your mom. I think it is nice that the roomie has family. But it should not inconvenience your mom. Usually there are limits to the number of people they allow in the room.

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2012, 10:30:42 AM »

DR Ginny hope your mom's appointment goes well.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2012, 10:30:51 AM »

Quieter room vibes for the mother of DR DtM.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2012, 10:31:19 AM »

Heading off to take my parents to their six month doctor's appt.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2012, 10:37:58 AM »

I must assume five and a half of those months is spent in the waiting room.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2012, 11:00:17 AM »

The first tv I remember was an old blonde Sears Silvertone black and white number on metal legs that had a hi-fi in the top.  Probably years before I was even born, the needle had been removed from the stylus, but one day I was playing around with some of my parents' old 78s, including an Edward R. Murray I CAN HEAR IT NOW folio, and I discovered that if I put my fingernail on the record, I could hear the sound!  I kid you not.
Murray or Murrow?

I have no idea what you're talking about.   ;D
Oh, so, now you're sheepish because someone reads your posts?  ;D
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2012, 11:01:04 AM »

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2012, 11:06:57 AM »

Was it here that I first saw this sad story on the World's Largest Record Collection?

I think it must have been as I've seen this story, as well.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2012, 11:49:31 AM »

I must assume five and a half of those months is spent in the waiting room.

Just about....but it was only about a half an hour altogether today.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2012, 12:00:52 PM »

I just read THIS article about "Cabaret" finally being restored and why it hadn't been before.  I would assume that it'll eventually be released on Blu-ray, but it doesn't specifically say that.  Here's what the article says about the restoration:

"Cabaret" has been sold on standard-definition DVD from Warner Bros. But it was unavailable in high-def or for digital presentation because of a vertical scratch that ran through 1,000 feet, or 10 minutes, of one of its reels, said Ned Price, vice president of mastering and restoration for Warner Bros.

The damage apparently was caused by a piece of dirt that had rolled through the length of the reel, starting with a scene in which York's character has a confrontation with a pro-Nazi boarding house resident, and cut into the emulsion.

With the damaged images digitally "painted out" using bits from surrounding areas, "the difficult part was matching the grain structure so the fix was invisible," Price said in an email.

Repair attempts using automated digital processing failed, so all 1.4 million frames of the damaged reel were painted by an operator using a computer stylus. The restored version is expected to play on TCM later this year.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2012, 12:02:09 PM »

DR Dan (the Man) I hope your mother is moved to a quiet room where she can get the rest she needs.

CONTINUED HEALING VIBES FOR HER!!!

~~~DITTO and DITTO!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2012, 12:11:17 PM »

Holy moley on rye, I slept until eleven-thirty - the past week must have finally caught up with me.  I am now very behind on things so off I go.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2012, 12:29:43 PM »

I can't find my Titanic music CD's....any of them.  I put them someplace all together....and there they are....wherever that is.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2012, 12:39:09 PM »

Programming done. 

John G.

« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2012, 12:47:39 PM »

Am on hold with a computer programmer at the bank who cannot program. That means I might not be able to get the main info for taxes again. Agh.  ???
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2012, 12:48:29 PM »

DR Jennifer I hope you new book meets your expectations!

John G.

« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2012, 12:56:02 PM »

After 30 minutes, she figured it out. I may be able to finish my taxes tonight. Yay!
― Voltaire

Doug R

« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2012, 01:02:56 PM »

I used to play records with my fingernail, too.

Wasn't the same as stereo.

I used to do that as well. I'd forgotten about the 78s.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »

Got all the audio samples sent, so that's the big stuff done.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2012, 01:31:28 PM »

I also spent a good deal of time on the phone regarding filming in this neighborhood.  Last night's missive that there would be filming over a two day period this weekend and blocking both sides of the street in front of my house and five blocks to the west was the straw that broke the Kimmel's back.  Somehow my little neighborhood has become the poster child for film shoots and I've had it and most of the neighbors have had it.  So, first I spoke to the location manager, who was appalled to find that whoever did the paper got almost all the information wrong - my street is not involved, as it turns out.  He was a very nice guy and totally understood - I also told him that even though this block wasn't involved that every time that's the case crew and actors always end up parking there rather than going to the lot that the production company is PAYING for them to go to.  He said to call him the day of the shoot if that happens, which I will.

Then I raised a little hell with Film-LA, the service that books these film shoots and suggests where to shoot.  I got very strong with them and told them this was happening three times a month now - he told me he's had a bunch of other complaints from my neighbors, so he said they will now look carefully at the frequency of shoots here and not allow that to happen anymore.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2012, 01:41:51 PM »

I just read THIS article about "Cabaret" finally being restored and why it hadn't been before.  I would assume that it'll eventually be released on Blu-ray, but it doesn't specifically say that.  Here's what the article says about the restoration:

"Cabaret" has been sold on standard-definition DVD from Warner Bros. But it was unavailable in high-def or for digital presentation because of a vertical scratch that ran through 1,000 feet, or 10 minutes, of one of its reels, said Ned Price, vice president of mastering and restoration for Warner Bros.

The damage apparently was caused by a piece of dirt that had rolled through the length of the reel, starting with a scene in which York's character has a confrontation with a pro-Nazi boarding house resident, and cut into the emulsion.

With the damaged images digitally "painted out" using bits from surrounding areas, "the difficult part was matching the grain structure so the fix was invisible," Price said in an email.

Repair attempts using automated digital processing failed, so all 1.4 million frames of the damaged reel were painted by an operator using a computer stylus. The restored version is expected to play on TCM later this year.

I'm under the impression that Warner Brothers plans on releasing this on Blu-ray this year.  It has been months since I read whatever it was I read about "upcoming" (i.e. in the year ahead) releases from them, but "Cabaret" WAS one of the titles.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2012, 01:54:08 PM »

I'm under the impression that Warner Brothers plans on releasing this on Blu-ray this year.  It has been months since I read whatever it was I read about "upcoming" (i.e. in the year ahead) releases from them, but "Cabaret" WAS one of the titles.

Cool!  Thanks for the info. :D

George

« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2012, 01:55:58 PM »

I don't think that this has been mentioned here (yet), but J.K. Rowling's next book: 'The Casual Vacancy.'

I forwarded this article to our adult fiction selector and she had me put in a temporary record in our catalog...I placed the first request.

;)

John G.

« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2012, 02:16:59 PM »

My library did not do that, George. No new J.K. listed.
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2012, 02:18:57 PM »

I don't think that this has been mentioned here (yet), but J.K. Rowling's next book: 'The Casual Vacancy.'

I forwarded this article to our adult fiction selector and she had me put in a temporary record in our catalog...I placed the first request.

;)

I think the title was only announced today.  It is supposed to come out in September i think. I need to read what it is about.

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2012, 02:20:51 PM »

The 4 library books i was waiting for were not there. I am going to read the Hunger Games movie companion tonight. And if my books aren't there tomorrow then i will start something else.

I have a series (well the first two books) to read. But i don't want to start that if the library books will be coming in. Plus i have 2 ebooks i want to read (including BK's book).

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2012, 02:45:48 PM »

NICE DOGGIE

Please, Miss Jane, may Sherlock conme out and play?

Please, Mr Keith, sir, may I have some more?

der Brucer
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:02:25 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

John G.

« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2012, 02:48:54 PM »

Nice doggie. Big doggie.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2012, 02:49:08 PM »

One more.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up