Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NOIR NOTES  (Read 15401 times)

Jennifer

Re:THE NOIR NOTES
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2004, 08:56:38 AM »

Re: Nip/Tuck

Jennifer - Yes, that's the show.

Yeah!

I thought it was.  But I'm surprised.  We don't get MTV either and we are just starting Season Two of Newlyweds (while you just started Season Three).

Since we don't get HBO we were a a couple of months behind on Sex & The City.  We are seasons behind on both the Sopranos and Six Feet Under (which in my mind makes it too confusing to follow).

I suppose those last two don't count, since we get them up-to-date on The Movie Network (which most people don't get though).

Anyway I like Nip/Tuck. I agree, I don't watch the surgeries.  But I started watching it because the star (the one plays Christian) used to be on Charmed, and I LOVED him there!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2004, 08:58:24 AM »

Periodically there has been some talk on here about film music underscoring and of late I've been paying particular attention to it and I'm not sure I really understand the difference between the good and the bad.  So, my question of the day is...what films do you  think are prime examples of good film underscoring and prime examples of the worst.  

As everyone knows, I don't think much of modren film scoring.  Classic good film underscoring: The Best Years of Our Lives, Vertigo, Psycho, A Patch of Blue, Planet of the Apes, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Once Upon a Time in America, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Miracle Worker, and I'll let others chime in with their choices.

Bad:  I've often thought that Carmine Coppola's score to The Black Stallion stopped that film from being a total masterpiece.  It's not that the music is awful, but it doesn't go with the images smoothly - it never takes the viewer where the images do.  It just sits there like so much fish.  Oh, if Jerry Goldsmith or Elmer had done that film.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2004, 09:00:45 AM »

POO!

Ask BK:   Do you have any idea what happened at "that" site?  You're absolutely correct -- it's the ugliest thing I've seen in a long time.  Interesting how most of the stock that keeps them afloat was produced by.....

I don't have a clew.  Or, as Jerry Herman once wrote: "I don't want to know."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2004, 09:13:54 AM »

Question for Ask BK Day:

Is there any current talk show, daytime or evening, that you'd like to appear as a guest?  I guess what I'm really asking is: Is there any current talk show host that you really like?

And if there is no current talkshow host you like, which former talkshow host did you like, and still like?

I'd like to have been a guest on "The Rosie O'Donnell Show" and now, I'd like to be on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show."  I love these two!  Actually, I'd probably just want to be in the audience for their shows.  I don't think I'm an interesting enough person to be a guest.  I can be a boring date. ::)  ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 09:14:19 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2004, 09:19:35 AM »

I saw at Amazon today a DVD coming out next Tuesday called "Mary Martin/Ethel Merman." Directed by Jerome Robbins.

I'm assuming this is the Ford 40th Anniversary special they did in 1953 coming out on DVD. The site didn't give any more information on it. Does anyone know anything about this release?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2004, 09:20:12 AM »

Talk show: I'm afraid I don't watch them.  Of the ones I've seen, I'd do David Letterman.

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2004, 09:29:43 AM »

I used to really enjoy the Rosie O'Donnell show.  I especially liked how she featured Broadway shows.  They were much more elaborately done than the ones this week on Regis & Kelly for example.

I can't really say what my favorite talk show is now (is this a question for anybody).  I do really enjoy The View.  But I prefer their hot topics, to the segments with guests.

I think the best shows to be guests on would probably be Leno or Letterman.

Btw, Simple Life 2 on tonight. Anybody else watching this, it is VERY funny.  Last week Paris and Nicole were asked to babysit this little girl.  And they decided to play hide-and-go-seek on the campground right when the kid's parents came back.  I mean obviously it wouldn't have been funny if anything had happened to her (and nothing could have since there were tons of camerapeople). But it was SO funny when they had to explain why the girl was missing.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2004, 09:29:49 AM »

Periodically there has been some talk on here about film music underscoring and of late I've been paying particular attention to it and I'm not sure I really understand the difference between the good and the bad.  So, my question of the day is...what films do you  think are prime examples of good film underscoring and prime examples of the worst.  

I can't think of any specific examples at the mo', but I hate it when movies are overscored.  Music in every single scene, each footstep by a character emphasized by a downbeat, every comic moment accompanied by "yuk-yuk" music, every tear drop shed with Enya-like keening.  Feh!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2004, 09:33:45 AM »

Here's a question.  Peter F's theatremania column today mentioned newer cast recordings vs original ones (and which people prefer).  

So which do you prefer in general?

I'll bet most people here will say OBCs.  But I actually prefer to have the newer recordings.  I can relate more to the artists and productions I know.  And I find by getting all the new recordings (of revivals), it really familiarizes me with shows I might not have known before.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2004, 09:38:43 AM »

Depends on the show actually. I prefer the new GUYS AND DOLLS with Nathan Lane to the one with Robert Alda (though I have to have both naturally). But I prefer the original NINE to the revival. It really varies from disc to disc.

It's nice to have a choice, but for me, there are times when I call a halt to collecting. I didn't buy the Bernadette Peters GYPSY, and I won't buy the Alfred Molina FIDDLER.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2004, 10:29:40 AM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  Especially Mahler.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2004, 10:41:26 AM »

Welcome twelve GUESTS.  I guess we now know where in tarnation everyone is.  C'mon, you know you have questions you're dying to ask, even the two of you who will disappear the minute I post this.  C'mon now, ask away, you GUESTS.

Now, as I was finishing the writing of the paragraph above, it just suddenly disappeared and I had to write it again.  Why?  WHY?  There is no way my finger could have slipped and hit "backspace" OR "delete".  

George

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2004, 10:48:46 AM »

Welcome twelve GUESTS.  I guess we now know where in tarnation everyone is.  C'mon, you know you have questions you're dying to ask, even the two of you who will disappear the minute I post this.  C'mon now, ask away, you GUESTS.

Now, as I was finishing the writing of the paragraph above, it just suddenly disappeared and I had to write it again.  Why?  WHY?  There is no way my finger could have slipped and hit "backspace" OR "delete".

Hitting the "Esc." (Escape) button (either on purpose or by accident) resets the message box.  I've done that far too many times to mention...so I won't. :-\
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 10:50:23 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2004, 10:57:09 AM »

Here's a question.  Peter F's theatremania column today mentioned newer cast recordings vs original ones (and which people prefer).  

So which do you prefer in general?

On the average, I probably prefer the original cast recordings, such as Little Shop of Horrors, especially when I know the original cast recording so well.  But for a show like Wonderful Town, I don't have the Rosalind Russell original on CD and I've never heard my album of it.  I have at least three other recordings in addition to the Donna Murphy, so I know and love the score, but don't have a preference.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2004, 10:59:51 AM »

I WANNA KNOW WHAT THE UGLY SITE IS!!!

Okay, that's out of my system :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2004, 11:04:13 AM »

The escape button is so far from where my fingers were that it couldn't have been that.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2004, 11:15:26 AM »

I don't know if Robbins directed the Martin/Merman for the Ford special.  It's only 20 minutes long (I have it on LP), so if that's what it is I hope they have a lot of extras.  It may be a tape of the one-night benefit they did on Broadway around the time of DOLLY.  This isn't even listed on the list of upcoming Broadway CDs/DVD/Books that I check.

IMPORTANT: If you were one of the DRs who pledged $10  towards the entrance fee submitting KRITZER TIME to the Pulitzer Prize committee, now is the time.  I am taking care of the application now and need the fee money.  Send me a message and I'll let you know where to send the money.  Since more than five people expressed an interest, I will only take money from the first five since the total fee is $50.

For ask BK and Ask DR Day:
Last week Tonya Pinkins was on Michael Reidel's show and when he asked her about all the perks she is getting she claimed that actors could get more money and perks while negotiating ther contracts if they wanted but that they were too afraid to ask, feeling that there are so many out-of-work actors they would be replaced if they asked for more than the producers offered.  How true do you think this is?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 11:16:40 AM by William E. Lurie »
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2004, 11:21:05 AM »

Ohhhh...THAT site.  Yes, it is rather ugly, I must say.

Thanks to those who were so kind as to clue in the clueless me :)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2004, 11:38:18 AM »

MattH, OUT OF THE PAST is the quintessential Film Noir...don't do it "some day", do it "now."  Mitchum was never better, Douglas was doing terrific work even then, Jane Greer is like the sexiest thing in the world.  And the guy...who's name I can't remember... playing Douglas' henchman is wonderful...

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2004, 11:38:19 AM »

I'm back!  I missed all of you while I was away.  Though it took me forever, I've read each and every post and column that went up since I left last Thursday.  Sorry to have missed the 50,000 celebration on Thursday and the big breakfast orgy yesterday.

Vibes to Dear Reader Jose and any other Dear Reader who could make good use of them.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2004, 11:43:07 AM »

Welcome back, Jay!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2004, 11:59:04 AM »

Say, hey! Jay!

Now...everyone....in our best Jerry Lewis "Hey, Lady!" voices, let's say:

MAHLER!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jay

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2004, 12:00:30 PM »

Thank you, Dear Reader Panni.

I was away for an extended cultural weekend in San Francisco.  Over the course of four days, I saw Beach Blanket Babylon (in its 30th anniversary year), heard the San Francisco Symphony in an astounding performance of Mahler's 2nd Symphony, and attended the San Francisco Opera for Janacek's The Cunning Little Vixen (with Dawn Upshaw) and Busoni's Doktor Faust (with Rodney Gilfry.)  

I went to SFMOMA for a somewhat interesting exhibit on Pop Art and the Legion of Honor for an enormous and outstanding exhibit (pulled together by the Victoria and Albert Museum) on Art Deco.  I also took a walking tour that surveyed the Victorian homes that surround Alamo Square.

Needless to say, I dined quite well, too, at some of the City's fine culinary emporia.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2004, 12:01:57 PM »

Avenue Q puppets of Regis & Kelly:

(this was very funny)

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/86937.html
Good old Regis.  He used to do his schtick in Los Angeles, before he went national.  My mother, bless her, loved the time someone had brought in a beautifully decorated sheet cake for his show.  Regis, of course, enthusiastically lifted up the back end of the cake so that the camera could get a better shot.  The cake obliged by sliding off of the table onto the floor.

The guy is a television natural.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2004, 12:02:43 PM »

Thanks, Dear Reader RLP.  You see, I was typing about Mr. Mahler just as you were exhorting us to invoke his name.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2004, 12:05:33 PM »

...The second sentence was "What's your phone number again?"  -Of course, my phone number has appeared at the bottom of all the e-mails I've sent to him in my signature line, and it was also in all my phone messages to his office.  Ah, well...
Just chalk this one up to the way too many people read their messages and e-mails.  Thinking takes practice, and so few people have the time for that these days.

*le sigh*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2004, 12:10:08 PM »

From an article about major playwrights who are working in films...
An interesting quote from Tony Kushner who is writing a film for Paramount about Eugene O'Neill: "I'm aware that every word and sentence that I write will be seen more as a suggestion, because film is a director's medium. So they're going to take what you give them and, if they like it, they'll do it. If not, they'll ask you to rewrite it. if you can't rewrite it, or they don't think you can, they'll get someone else to."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2004, 12:12:51 PM »

For ask BK and Ask DR Day:
Last week Tonya Pinkins was on Michael Reidel's show and when he asked her about all the perks she is getting she claimed that actors could get more money and perks while negotiating ther contracts if they wanted but that they were too afraid to ask, feeling that there are so many out-of-work actors they would be replaced if they asked for more than the producers offered.  How true do you think this is?

I think there's some truth in it.  But I also think these 'perks' get out of hand and producers at some point are going to revolt, because it costs them thousands upon thousands of dollars each week dealing with limos and this and that and the other.  It's one thing if it's a STAR, someone who really has the ability to bring people into the theater - it's another thing when it's someone without much of a name being offered outrageous perks - I just don't get it, frankly.

Panni

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2004, 12:13:01 PM »

And from my hero, Tom Stoppard: "Laughter is the sound of comprehension."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2004, 12:31:28 PM »

Re: Japanese Monster Movies.  I have to admit, I haven't watched any since I became an adult.  Probably my loss.  But any time I need a bad dubbing fix, I just tune in Iron Chef.

Re: Talk Shows.  For a soft interview, Ellen DeGeneris is the best around right now.  She's sweet, she's funny, she lets the guest be himself, or herself, and it's a friendly show.  For a hard interview, Greta van Susteren (on FoxNews) is at the top.  She gets her facts about a subject, and then gets the information she's after from the interviewee.  None of that pompous self-aggrandizing, the way that other talk-show personality behaves on his FoxNews show.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up