Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A DAY WITH NO ANNOYANCES  (Read 11883 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A DAY WITH NO ANNOYANCES
« on: May 03, 2012, 12:23:52 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had no annoyances, and now it is time for you to post until the annoying cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: A DAY WITH NO ANNOYANCES
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 12:24:34 AM »

And the word of the day is: NUMEN!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 12:26:45 AM »

The new Kritzerland release will be available for ordering on the site at six in the morning.  If you want it before then, you know the deal - 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping (23.73) paid via paypal to kritzerland at adelphia dot net.

Kritzerland is pleased to present a new world premier limited edition soundtrack CD:

LADY IN A CAGE
Music Composed and Conducted by Paul Glass

In 1962, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? burst forth on movie screens all over the world.  It was a “shocker” and one of the biggest shocks in it was seeing two aging Golden Age screen icons, Bette Davis and Joan Crawford, let their hair down and dive into a genre film.  Of course, because it was an unexpected smash hit, the floodgates opened and we soon got all manner of imitations, some good, some bad, and some in-between.  One of the weirdest and the best came in 1964 when Paramount released Lady in a Cage, starring Academy Award-winner Olivia de Havilland, who’d already done one shocker previously the year before, Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte.  But Lady in a Cage was something wholly other – as nasty as Baby Jane and Charlotte could be, Lady in a Cage was in a whole other universe.

Whoever’s decision it was to hire composer Paul Glass, it was a completely original and inspired choice.  Glass’s score for Lady in a Cage is dissonant, creepy, jagged, and perfectly suited to the film.  There are no real themes here – just music of unsettling atonality that keeps one on the edge of one’s seat and completely off-balance, much like the film’s heroine.  In 1964 it was the polar opposite of most film scores being written but it was absolutely perfect for Lady in a Cage and, for its time, a fairly unique score.  Glass went on to write a classic score for Otto Preminger’s Bunny Lake is Missing and also wrote several terrific scores for the TV series Night Gallery.

Since its release, Lady in a Cage has become something of a cult film.  Even now, coming up on almost fifty years, it still manages to be thoroughly creepy and weird, yet somehow completely entertaining and fun.

This CD is mastered from the superb-sounding original three-track scoring session masters housed in the vault at Paramount.  We are extremely pleased to present the first Paul Glass film score available on CD.

Lady in a Cage is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping.

CD will ship the second week of June  – however, never fear, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 12:55:04 AM »

CD has been ordered...now I can go to sleep and not have to wake up at six in the morning. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 01:01:05 AM »

Well, I'm going to bed.  Good night.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 03:40:10 AM »

TOD:

HARVEY with Joe E. Brown

I was 5 years old.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 03:40:32 AM »

Off to Dallas today for Texas Frightmare Weekend.
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 03:49:38 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept well, and I remember rather vivdly my last dream, which involved a summer theatre production, a costume shop, a film books section of a huge library, a radio show, and being lost in LA while trying to buy 28 lbs of chocolate.

I am back to my taping this morning. I have two rolls of 3/4" artist tape in my bag, and I'll see how far I progress today. I may begin printing the masters of the orchestra parts for Rodgers & Hammerstein while I am at it. Hopefully, while I am at Toyland, the electrician will coem and check out an electrical glitch; the super's been jerking me around for the past two weeks about scheduling this.  Hopefully, when I get back here, my last invoice payment will be waiting for me, or I will be a very unhappy person.

More coffee.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 04:15:13 AM »

good morning to all

Vibes to all that need them
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 04:15:41 AM »

TOD

Fiddler on the Roof with Paul Lipson as Tevye
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 05:38:19 AM »

Travel vibes and convention vibes for DR DRUXY
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 05:38:30 AM »

CD ordered

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 05:40:56 AM »

TOD:  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......I was in a play before I ever saw a play......but I guess the first one I officially saw was a production of Agatha Christie's THE MOUSETRAP at the Indiana University Summer Theatre in Bloomington........

I was going through my programs as well and found a couple from Avondale Playhouse (in the Meadows Shopping Center), a kind of tent affair.  Frances Farmer did a few shows there.

This program is for THE BEST MAN by Gore Vidal and featured Lyle Talbot, Hugh Marlowe and his wife K.T. Stevens......to be followed by Jan Sterling in THE MIRACLE WORKER!!!

FJL

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 05:44:04 AM »

Uncomplicating vibes for vixmom

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 05:50:54 AM »

And the word of the day is: NUMEN!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  I BELIEVE

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 06:09:08 AM »

*  *  *  *  *  Uncomplicated Life Vibes for DR Vixmom  *  *  *  *  *
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 06:15:07 AM »

TOD:

I can't say with any certainliness what was my first theatre-going experience.  The first that I can recall with any vividness is going to see PURLIE on B'way--it was the first show that I remember sitting up and appreciating the singing, dancing and comedy.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 06:25:22 AM »

New title is announced everywhere and I guess I'll go back to bed.

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 06:27:15 AM »

TOD: Well i didn't see many plays when i was a kid. But if you include musicals then I remember a few very clearly. I think the first one was CATS with my sister, my mom and my grandmother. That was very memorable for me because my grandmother took us and we went on the stage with all of the cats.

I also remember my parents taking me to see both PHANTOM of THE OPERA and LES MIS on tour. But the musical that made me love musicals was when Chita Rivera toured here in KISS OF THE SPIDERMAN. I was so impressed and mesmerized by her. Loved it. ANd after that i was hooked.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 06:34:57 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 06:35:19 AM »

Off to Dallas today for Texas Frightmare Weekend.
Have a frighteningly good trip.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 06:36:45 AM »

TOD: The first I can remember was a production of "Frankenstein" at Actors Theater of Louisville with a curtain raiser of someone reading/reciting "The Tell-Tale Heart." I remember the pounding of the heart  as he told the tale.

I had been a big "Dark Shadows" fan by then, so it was a wonderful evening.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 06:37:04 AM »

Vibes for all.
― Voltaire

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 06:41:56 AM »

The first show I clearly remember going to was a production of SOUTH PACIFIC with Macdonald Carey at the Valley Music Hall north of SLC.  The Valley Music Hall was touted as the most luxurious and advanced performance venue in the west when it opened.  It's now a Mormon church (no joke).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 06:46:08 AM »

There are two or three new reader reviews up on amazon from folks I don't know - check them out - they're wonderful, especially the latest - that made me very happy.

http://www.amazon.com/Album-Produced-By/product-reviews/1468560581/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 06:47:05 AM »

Good heavens, BK is up!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 06:49:12 AM »

Greetings from Toyland!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 06:56:56 AM »

BK, those were great reviews! I think I passed one of your colleagues at the Label That Must Not Be Named on the subway steps this morning. There was a large crowd leaving the station as I was trying to get down the steps and someone said hello to me. I think it was he. I said hello amd kept fighting the crowd!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 06:59:29 AM »

Most excellent new reviews!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 07:01:18 AM »

DR JOHNG this is for you and the other fans of the original Dark Shadows.  The cast photo from ARSENIC AND OLD LACE from the Curran Theater in San Francisco when Jonathan Frid played Jonathan Brewster.  There are some other familiar faces in the cast as well.   ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up