Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PRESTIDIGITATION  (Read 23943 times)

MBarnum

Re:PRESTIDIGITATION
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2004, 12:45:39 PM »

Welcome to the clouds Robin!!!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2004, 12:57:19 PM »

I had the bestest sandwich for lunch?  Chunky chicken salad?  With a creamy pesto dressing?  Served on toasted raisin bread?  It was sooooo good I, like, scarfed the whole thing down and I wanted another?  Am I annoying anyone who's trying to read this yet?

That sounds, like, so totally yummy!  

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2004, 01:20:42 PM »

I must figure out what to have for lunch. I don't feel like leaving the home environment, but there is nothing here I want. A problem. To quote Jose, "Hmmmm...."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2004, 01:27:55 PM »

Just back from a really tasty lunch:

Blackened trout
Fresh steamed veggies
Herbed Rice
Fresh salad with vinaigrette. (Two of my three companions had shrimp bisque instead).

Very yummalicious!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 01:29:59 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2004, 01:32:00 PM »

My last act of prestidigitation was becoming a HHW God.  
[size=20]HAPPY GODLINESS TO ROBIN![/size]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2004, 01:38:01 PM »

Welcome to new HHW GOD ROBIN!!!!

Whew....I am going to make a lobby display case for the Children's Workshop....they are doing THE TEMPEST (older group) and MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM (younger group)....cut versions of course.  I designed the makeup for them....and I shudder to think of my makeup room when they are done on Saturday....but if just one kid is inspired or learns something...welll it will be worth it...and then some.

Being measured for my tuxedo for FATHER OF THE BRIDE...and am trying to find my birth certificate.  I bought a copy when I got my passport 16 years ago....but it is nowhere to be found.  So I will have to buy another one.  Oh well....  

Back after rehearsal.  IAC.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2004, 01:53:00 PM »

Yes, I'm back, and scrolling through some of the posts I missed while I was away (with limited internet access), I came across:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Dan the Man on June 22, 2004I think we've been through this before.  My mother grew up on West End Avenue, exactly a block away from Zabars.

But how great a rhyme is it when you know that West End Avenue has neither laundromats or gay bars on it.  There's very few stores of any type: delis at 72nd and 96th (near highway off-ramps) and the only bar is The Underground, across the street from me.  I'm sad to report it's not gay, but instead features third tier stand-up comedians.  Weekend eves they hawk it on street corners: "See a stand-up who's appeared on the Kimmel show!"  Yeah, whatever that is.  The constant barking annoys me, and I'm tempted to say "There's too much comedy in my life already.  The moment you have people standing up doing poignant dramatic monologues, I'm there."

Near West End Avenue, in the 70's, there were a couple of gay bars.  Just not on it.  Nothing much is on it; it's residential.
Noel, the song was written in the 70s.  The Magic Show opened on May 28th, 1974 (the OCR released the same year) and ran 1859 performances, in spite of middling-to-lousy reviews (Walter Kerr referred to "gratuitous and even monotonous songs by Stephen Schwartz," but I've never found Walter Kerr hummable).  The OCR, which wisely kept Doug Henning away from the microphone but kept Anita Morris, David Ogden Stiers and Dale Soules (who got to introduce "West End Avenue") was one of my favorites during my college years.

Der Brucer may have some reminiscences to share on this, since he was familiar with NYC at that time.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2004, 02:08:50 PM »

My first task of this new day:  Welcome and congratulations Robin. (Well, it's a new day here in OZ).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2004, 02:25:32 PM »

Was LEADER OF THE PACK recorded?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2004, 02:26:52 PM »

Indeed it was Matt. - a 2 disc set by Elektra. Don't know if it is on CD.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 02:30:40 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2004, 02:28:20 PM »

I spent another afternoon at my friend's pool. There wasn't a lot of sun today with a fairly frequent cloud cover and very moderate temperatures. It was kind of nice actually, to be in the pool and in deck chairs without roasting.

Panni

« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2004, 02:52:19 PM »

Update Chez Panni: I left the home environment and did some food shopping.

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2004, 03:04:00 PM »

Indeed it was Matt. - a 2 disc set by Elektra. Don't know if it is on CD.

Remembering that embarrassing segment on the Tonys the year it was nominated, maybe I'm glad I missed this set!  :D

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2004, 03:19:14 PM »

Noel, the song was written in the 70s.  

I'm aware West End Avenue was written in the 70s.  I said that there may have been gay bars near West End Avenue in the West 70s of Manhattan.  For instance, the (in)famous Continental Baths on 74th might be considered a bar.  And that block of 72nd Street is certainly ever-changing.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Robin

« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2004, 03:29:16 PM »

It's fun bein' a God.  I recommend it.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2004, 03:34:22 PM »

Is anyone else on HHW a Jeopardy! fan?

If you've been watching this for the past three weeks, a young fellow from Utah named Ken Jennings has been doing some serious winning.  Today was be his sixteenth victory, and he's won over half a million bucks.  

This kid (I swear, he looks like he's fifteen!) seems to know everything about everything.  He's a real know-it-all.  I don't know whether to root him on or bitch-slap him out of pure jealousy.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2004, 03:36:19 PM »

I'm at home and have been all day.  I called in sick (I have a gazillion hours of sick leave).  I'm not really sick, just a touch of the runs.  TMI!  TMI!  I seem to be fine now, but I'm glad I'm staying home.  I rearranged my living room a bit and was able to hook up my stereo system!  The speakers work and everything else too!  I even hooked it up to my computer and can make CDs of my records again!  Yea!

Also The Lieutenant and the '77 Happy End.  And if you're talking about nominees that never had a Broadway recording, then you'd have to add shows like Mamma Mia and Miss Saigon.

And The Phantom of the Opera.  Were Starlight Express or Aspects of Love nominated for best musical?  They didn't get cast recordings, either.

TotD:  Craig Carnelia, Stephen Schwartz (who also wrote a song called "Prestidigitaion"), Carole King, Billy Joel, Elton John.

I don't mind watching magic or "illusions," but I won't go out of my way to see it.  It's just okay.  I was in a series of locally (and very well) written shows where I played a bartender who is supposed to like magic.  I didn't and still don't.  I tried, but I just couldn't get into that aspect of the character.  Oh, well.  Maybe I'm just too jaded and cynical to "believe" what I see.

[move=UP,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
"WELCOME" TO THE LATEST HHW GOD, ROBIN!!
[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2004, 03:38:05 PM »

DR Robin: Given your new position you should be able to smite him. That is of course the more godly term.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 03:38:45 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2004, 03:45:19 PM »

MESSAGE FROM BK

BK says a fond hello to all hainsies and kimlets. He is not posting because his internet is down and Adelphia is - surprise - being less than helpful.
This on top of the power outage a few days ago does not make him a happy camper.

Might be an idea to send **good internet vibes** his way.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2004, 04:22:14 PM »

Good Evening!

WHOA?!?!? What happened to my afternoon!?!?!?

What an interesting day I've had today.  I've done nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  My sinuses kind of kicked back in last night, and I spent most of today just laying on my couch watching TV and/or napping.  The latest nap lasted four(!) hours, so...  I finally got up and got some dinner - the rest of the spaghetti carbonara from last night - and now I'm back here.  I need to go for a walk sometime later at least.  I'm feeling OK, just not physically motivated to do anything.  But rest is a good thing.  -Yeah, that's the ticket!

In other news...  Just some interesting tidbits from playbill.com - Dracula delaying their previews by a week; The Boy From Oz closing when Hugh Jackman's contract is up; the "final" dates for the Sweet Charity revival; yadda-yadda-yadda...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2004, 04:32:02 PM »

I'm back on.  Despite Adelphia's trying to always make you feel it's not their problem, it obviously is, since I'm back on and have done nothing differently.  Don't know if it's all better, but hopefully it is.  Blechhh.

Congrats, Robin!

Now, where in tarnation IS everyone?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2004, 04:34:45 PM »

Went to the DVD Place and didn't see any question marks or anything untoward.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2004, 04:56:58 PM »

Went to the DVD Place and didn't see any question marks or anything untoward.

Pow-la, what have you done with the lovely question marks?  Oh, Pow-la.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Panni

« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2004, 04:57:22 PM »

RE magic TOD...  Dear  Daughter told me of a magic trick which I can't figure out. A young woman she knows went to a David Copperfield show and was called up on stage with another woman. Copperfield said he would switch the two women's underpants - and did. Each wound up wearing the other's. (An unsanitary trick, if you ask me, but nobody asked me.) The young woman DD knows was not in on the trick. She said she felt it happening - and was suddenly wearing the other woman's undies. Now I don't know what else was involved - if the lights went out, if there was smoke, if they had to sit on some special platform or were just standing there ...Have no idea. But it does sound bizarre. Anyone know of this strange trick and how it's done?

François de Paris

« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2004, 05:07:00 PM »

Hi,all!

I'm catching up on 4 days of posts and reading Panni's posts re: Mr Ismael Merchant which reminded me of a recent encounter...

One evening, some months ago, three gentlemen were lurking at the hotel where I nightaudit, when finally one of them came in and made a reservation for a room.

Some guests friends of mine from the US where in the lounge and when the man left, the lady friend came to me and said:

"Do you know to whom you just talked ?"
Well, I sure had not recognized Mr Merchant but it did was him...

A few days later, the room reservation was canceled...
I hope I had not said anything wrong!! ;)

Ain't that just too too?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 05:09:37 PM by François de Paris »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2004, 05:10:34 PM »

"Do you know to whom you just talked ?"
Well, I sure had not recognized Mr Merchant but it did was him...

A few days later, the room reservation was canceled...
I hope I had not said anything wrong!! ;)

Maybe the room didn't have a view.

Panni

« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2004, 05:22:37 PM »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2004, 05:35:28 PM »

I'm aware West End Avenue was written in the 70s.  I said that there may have been gay bars near West End Avenue in the West 70s of Manhattan.  For instance, the (in)famous Continental Baths on 74th might be considered a bar.  And that block of 72nd Street is certainly ever-changing.

I can speak with some authority about the location of gay bars on the Upper West Side during the '70s.  The gay bar closest to West End Avenue was The Candle, a dive bar on Amsterdam Avenue (two blocks--that is, one long avenue block broken up by Broadway--east of WEA) between 74th and 75th (or was it 75th and 76th?).  Another long avenue block to the east, on Columbus Avenue, was The Works, a video/preppie bar in a building owned by Columbia University.

Go, Lions, Go!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 05:49:22 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2004, 05:36:49 PM »

RE magic TOD...  Dear  Daughter told me of a magic trick which I can't figure out. A young woman she knows went to a David Copperfield show and was called up on stage with another woman. Copperfield said he would switch the two women's underpants - and did. Each wound up wearing the other's. (An unsanitary trick, if you ask me, but nobody asked me.) The young woman DD knows was not in on the trick. She said she felt it happening - and was suddenly wearing the other woman's undies. Now I don't know what else was involved - if the lights went out, if there was smoke, if they had to sit on some special platform or were just standing there ...Have no idea. But it does sound bizarre. Anyone know of this strange trick and how it's done?

Well, I know the same thing happened to me and another guy in the back seat of a '64 Mustang!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2004, 05:49:22 PM »

FOR FANS OF OUR BELOVED DU-PAR'S...

Du-par's Changing Hands but Not Heart or Soul (EXCERPTED)

By Patricia Ward Biederman, Times Staff Writer

"Today's egg day," Erwin Abrams explained Wednesday, savoring a lunch-hour order of fried eggs, with a side of mashed potatoes, at the original Du-par's in the Farmers Market.
Abrams, 80, has been coming to the eatery at 3rd Street and Fairfax for 54 years.
"Tomorrow's fried-chicken day, and I'll probably be in on Friday and have some macaroni and cheese," said Abrams.

Like dozens of other regulars at the first Du-par's, Abrams was relieved to learn that the 66-year-old institution will continue, its name and hot cakes unchanged, after its sale to the Naylor Establishment.

The sale of the three Du-par's (the others are in Studio City and Thousand Oaks) was announced Wednesday by Shirley Oberst Kauffman, whose family has owned the restaurants since 1984, and W.W. "Biff" Naylor, whose family started Biff's Drive-In and the Tiny Naylor's chain of diners in Los Angeles.

The financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed, but the assets included Du-par's recipes, Kauffman and Naylor said.

Abrams cites "the excellent coffee" and sourdough French toast and the accommodating staff as reasons he makes Du-par's a near-daily ritual. But Kauffman, who has a doctorate in psychology, thinks tradition is an important part of the venerable chain's appeal.

"It's a very homey place," she said. "We've tried to keep the menu current by putting on new items without taking off the old favorites."

Many of the regulars began visiting Du-par's decades ago, in a more innocent time when people worried less about the state of their arteries than about pleasing their taste buds. Many patrons acquired a taste for such retro staples as buttermilk hot cakes with boysenberry topping, steak-and-kidney pie, and banana splits.

Even most regulars don't know that the restaurant was named for founders James Dune and Edward Parsons.

Kauffman said selling the business was bittersweet, but she was confident it would thrive under its new ownership.
Naylor has known Kauffman and her family since she was a child and said he was eager to keep the Du-par's tradition alive.

"I come from the old school too," said Naylor, who likes to say he was the only one in his grade school to have a restaurant named after him (Biff's Drive-In).

He said he planned to renovate the Farmers Market location, adding a patio and other amenities, but the ambience and the menu would remain largely the same.

All three locations will temporarily shut their doors at the end of August when escrow closes, Kauffman said. The Farmers Market location will remain closed for two months or more for renovation. The others will reopen in a week or two.

All 105 employees will need to reapply for jobs with the new owner, including Leathon Lacy, 68, who has been baking pies at the Farmers Market Du-par's for 48 years.

September and October aren't going to be easy for Joe and Edith Willins, who have been regulars for 40 years and now eat there twice a day. He's 85; she is 91.

"If they don't come in, we worry about them," Kauffman said.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 05:50:00 PM by Panni »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up