Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RITUAL  (Read 11925 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE RITUAL
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2012, 09:48:20 AM »

Page three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2012, 09:49:45 AM »

My husband learned to fly. I was criticized by others for not going up in the little plane with him. I did a couple of trips just to shut people up. I found it to be very nerve-wracking and I didn't enjoy it at all. We came to an agreement: I would not coerce him into going to musicals if he didn't coerce me into flying with him.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2012, 09:58:24 AM »

Maybe you would if you're prone to motion sickness anyway, but most first-timers are surprised to find that flying in a small plane feels very much like it does in a large one, except being a thousand times more fun.  This of course depends on one's being smart enough to fly in appropriate conditions for the plane.  Also, I used to make sure the scaredy-cat sat in front so I could let them get a feel for the controls, which in my own limited experience never failed to completely win them over to it.

It sounds wonderful.  I am very prone to motion sickness and can even get car sick when I'm driving. 

Wow, that's unusual.  I think.  But what do I know?  I'll get motion-sick if I try to read in a car, no question about that.  Sometimes, at least in the past, just sitting in the back seat on, say, a windy mountain road.  Never air-sick, though, love it too much for that.  Well, maybe if I got SCARED enough.... 

LOL it is unusual.  I was delighted to meet a couple of other people with the same affliction.  I'm much better than I used to be.

Jane

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2012, 09:59:19 AM »

Scrolling on the computer or using the old microfilm files too long can give me motion sickness.

I forgot about that.  It was years before I could use a computer.  Even now if Keith is scrolling while I'm looking at the computer I have to close my eyes.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2012, 09:59:28 AM »

Well on top of the bad water - the Polaroid Television gave up the ghost.....so I had to go buy another television.  I got an Emerson 39" HDTV with all the connections I needed and it is now up and running.....we shall see what happens with all the peripherals I also installed.

Wow! DR JRand61, when it rains, it pours!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2012, 09:59:45 AM »

My husband learned to fly. I was criticized by others for not going up in the little plane with him. I did a couple of trips just to shut people up. I found it to be very nerve-wracking and I didn't enjoy it at all. We came to an agreement: I would not coerce him into going to musicals if he didn't coerce me into flying with him.

Good plan. ;D

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2012, 10:07:41 AM »

Maybe you would if you're prone to motion sickness anyway, but most first-timers are surprised to find that flying in a small plane feels very much like it does in a large one, except being a thousand times more fun.  This of course depends on one's being smart enough to fly in appropriate conditions for the plane.  Also, I used to make sure the scaredy-cat sat in front so I could let them get a feel for the controls, which in my own limited experience never failed to completely win them over to it.

I only flew in a small plane once. And i hated it so much. I am a bit claustrophobic. And i hadn't been warned in advance that the plane would be small. I really did not like it.

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2012, 10:09:03 AM »

I watched THE IRON LADY dvd last night.  It wasn't really what i was expecting. I knew Meryl Streep was going to play old Margaret Thatcher. But for some reason i didn't realize that that was most of the story. I would have much rather just seen the actual story of Thatcher from when she was young.

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2012, 10:10:14 AM »

I did end up watching the SMASH and GOSSIP GIRL finales.

And DWTS. So curious who will be going home tonight. I really really hope it is not one of the women.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2012, 10:14:46 AM »

Ain't it the truth DR ELMORE.   But better this week than next week when my auditions are.....followed by the beginning of rehearsals....and I lose a lot of FREE time.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2012, 10:15:30 AM »

The Social Security website says that you can apply at 61 years and 9 months......that will be May 26.....or can I apply now since we are already into May?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2012, 10:26:06 AM »

I'm up - got eight hours of sleep, barely.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2012, 10:26:50 AM »

This flight to New York on JetBlue is costing close to eight hundred bucks!  Happily, I'm not paying for it, but in what universe does a JetBlue flight cost eight hundred bucks.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2012, 10:27:58 AM »

The Universe of 2012!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2012, 10:30:23 AM »

Almost sounds fair.  ;)
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2012, 10:41:09 AM »

The Social Security website says that you can apply at 61 years and 9 months......that will be May 26.....or can I apply now since we are already into May?

I don't know, not that it matters.  You won't get it any sooner by applying now.

Jane

« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2012, 10:42:09 AM »

This flight to New York on JetBlue is costing close to eight hundred bucks!  Happily, I'm not paying for it, but in what universe does a JetBlue flight cost eight hundred bucks.

What do you normally pay?  We need to book a flight to Bryan's graduation which is always expensive from here.

Ben

« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2012, 10:44:38 AM »

All flights are outrageously expensive now due to the price of fuel $800 is not out of the ordinary anymore. Also, now airlines are supposed to publish the entire price up front including all taxes and fees so they can't say $99 to XXX with the small print saying taxes and fees extra pushing up the cost to hundreds of dollars.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2012, 11:00:56 AM »

I don't know, not that it matters.  You won't get it any sooner by applying now.

This is true DR JANE.....I filled out the application and it was accepted.....for benefits to start in September.....so we will see in a few days if I did it correctly.

Ginny

« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2012, 11:53:42 AM »

I had an appointment this morning for every woman's 2nd favorite screening.  Richard went along and afterwards we went to scope out the new YMCA that's next to the new hospital.  We're probably going to join when we get back from New York/Washington.  We shopped for some groceries and picked up some library books and now we're in for the day.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2012, 11:54:31 AM »

Scrolling on the computer or using the old microfilm files too long can give me motion sickness.

I forgot about that.  It was years before I could use a computer.  Even now if Keith is scrolling while I'm looking at the computer I have to close my eyes.

I get dizzy shopping for clothes in places where the display racks move - like the ones suspended on chains.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2012, 12:00:50 PM »

T.O.D.

GLEE
SPAMALOT
ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2012, 12:01:15 PM »

I had an appointment this morning for every woman's 2nd favorite screening.  Richard went along and afterwards we went to scope out the new YMCA that's next to the new hospital.  We're probably going to join when we get back from New York/Washington.  We shopped for some groceries and picked up some library books and now we're in for the day.

It is easier to be motivated when you go together.  I'm gaining weight from lack of exercise these last few weeks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2012, 12:01:49 PM »

My annoyance factor is on high at this moment - we are now on version seven of the packaging and it hasn't even gone in for approvals yet - I have informed everyone that when I send this version, it has to go in - period.  This is what happens when there are multiple people involved and used to doing things the way they're used to doing them - but at some point, these kinds of projects become projects where it's not possible to actually make any profit and that's where I put my foot firmly in the ground and don't move it.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2012, 12:01:52 PM »

I get dizzy shopping for clothes in places where the display racks move - like the ones suspended on chains.

I don't see those very often.  Do you?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2012, 12:04:40 PM »

What I Just Learned:

Saturday, May 19th, is International Learn to Fly Day.

Which I did, back in '77-'78, at Van Nuys Airport.  Logged around 270 hours before various and sundry life changes kind of shoved it aside.  But man, I loved it, and still would.  Can't imagine the FAA would approve my vision the way it is now.  Not that I'd even bother trying.  Getting that approval every couple of years was hard enough when I was but a li'l 30-something.

That's pretty cool.  My former supervisor's husband took flying lessons years ago, but he had to quit because he had problems with depth perception...something that is needed very much.

And on the very next day..."Next week on the 20th of May, I proclaim 'Liza Doolittle Day."

I just added it to the HHW calendar. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2012, 12:05:10 PM »

Well on top of the bad water - the Polaroid Television gave up the ghost.....so I had to go buy another television.  I got an Emerson 39" HDTV with all the connections I needed and it is now up and running.....we shall see what happens with all the peripherals I also installed.

Congratulations on your new purchase, Jack!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2012, 12:06:47 PM »

Congratulations on your new purchase, Jack!

I'm waiting to here if you are pleased with it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:14:59 PM by Jane »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2012, 12:14:03 PM »

Thank you DR GEORGE - the HD Cable picture doesn't seem as sharp as the one on my old TV....although the settings are the same.....so it's something to get used to, I guess.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2012, 12:15:27 PM »

Hmmm, if it isn't as good might you exchange it?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:39:47 PM by Jane »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up