Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HOLLYWOOD COLLECTOR'S SHOW  (Read 19752 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE HOLLYWOOD COLLECTOR'S SHOW
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2004, 04:06:48 PM »

And one for that old composer dude!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2004, 04:07:29 PM »

We best be on page 3 before Dear BK returns else we'll all be bitch-slapped from here to tarnation!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2004, 04:08:13 PM »

Brief notes on HARRY POTTER: I enjoyed the movie and saw immediately that a new hand was guiding things behind the scenes. Most all of the effects went like gangbusters (didn't think the werewolf transformation was all that great; but we've been seeing great werewolf transformations for decades now), but I felt the middle third of the movie was fairly slow and not that powerfully involving.

I still think the second one was the best of the three. The cinema where I saw the one today did not have the sound quite loud enough for all the dialogue to be audible, and there were people talking constantly in the theater. Oh, how much I prefer to see films at home now!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2004, 04:12:40 PM »

Good. Now I don't have to actually write what I was going to write when I said earlier today that I would comment on FAHRENHEIT 9/11 later. DR Jay has said it all.

Panni

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2004, 04:20:24 PM »

Re Marilyn Chambers at the Collectors Showcase... Yes the dear lady was hangin' out there for all the world to see. Fine. Whatever.
What was interesting for me in her "look" was the GIGANTIC cross, which served as the "boob accessory" (a new fashion term of my own invention). I've seen quite a bit of this lately (yes, I know Madonna was doing it ages ago - but that was more costume than functional clothing). These days I'm seeing it everywhere. So - and I ask this in all sincerity as a Jew - has the cross lost its meaning as a religious icon denoting sacrifice, purity whatever - and become costume jewelry?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 04:23:42 PM by Panni »

Jay

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2004, 04:26:45 PM »

Re Marilyn Chambers at the Collectors Showcase... Yes the dear lady was hangin' out there for all the world to see. Fine. Whatever.
What was interesting for me in her "look" was the GIGANTIC cross, which served as the "boob accessory" (a new fashion term of my own invention). I've seen quite a bit of this lately (yes, I know Madonna was doing it ages ago - but that was more costume than functional clothing). These days I'm seeing it everywhere. So - and I ask this in all sincerity as a Jew - has the cross lost its meaning as a religious icon denoting sacrifice, purity whatever - and become costume jewelry?

I remember some awards show on which Miss Cher appeared wearing a necklace sort of apparatus, only it went around her hips, not her neck and a big cross hung from it.  This "religious icon denoting sacrifice, purity whatever" rested directly you know where.  I was surprised when no uproar ensued.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 04:39:24 PM by Jay »

Jay

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2004, 04:27:14 PM »

Good. Now I don't have to actually write what I was going to write when I said earlier today that I would comment on FAHRENHEIT 9/11 later. DR Jay has said it all.

You flatter me, Dear Reader Panni.

Panni

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2004, 04:29:10 PM »

Two more things and then my frenzy of one must come to a halt...
Sorry to hear of TCB's computer and other problems!

And... The other big line at the CS was for Angela Cartwright. I guess that must be the LOST IN SPACE crowd.

Panni

« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2004, 04:31:57 PM »

Jay, you were too quick for me - I modified my cross comments so that the prose read more elegantly, sans typos, etc. - but you quoted my less than perfect text. Oh well...

Jay

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2004, 04:39:59 PM »

Jay, you were too quick for me - I modified my cross comments so that the prose read more elegantly, sans typos, etc. - but you quoted my less than perfect text. Oh well...

Not sure what you're talking about...

;)

Panni

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2004, 04:41:00 PM »

Re FS Pogues's impressions of the HCS - I don't mind the fact that people - both celebrities and fans -  are older -- it happens. I thought Betsy Palmer looked lovely. As did Lee Meriwether. They've aged gracefully. Not easy to do in this town.
And how did you get such bargain prices, Pogue? I paid for parking - was there a choice? And the entrance fee was higher than the figure you quoted.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 04:43:12 PM by Panni »

Jay

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2004, 04:43:53 PM »

And how did you get such bargain prices, FS Pogue? I paid for parking - was there a choice? And the entrance fee was higher than the figure you quoted.

He probably got a union discount.

Just kidding!   ;D

François de Paris

« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2004, 04:52:28 PM »

TCB,

You're UNFORGETTABLE!

Jay,

You mean there's a new MM movie out?
I thought Disney did not want to release any Mickey Mouse Movies anymoore!?!?

-- It's out July 7 here! --

Saw POTTER #3 a few days ago and enjoyed it; thought the second half was very clever in the script department. Special effects get so sophisticate that they don't seem special anymore...
I wound certainly not take a kid to see such a film; too dark and grim!

Don't know if Julie Christie was paid big bucks but she hardly gets to do and say anything!

Don't know; call me weird but I like the score to Will Rogers Follies... It also might be that I think Dee Hoty is a terrific talent and i can listen to her in whatever she sings....

François de Paris

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2004, 04:55:20 PM »

The internet quotes an entrance fee of 15 bucks to go to the Hollywood show where BK is!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2004, 04:56:39 PM »

Jay, thanks for the update and review of the Moore film.  I'm looking forward to seeing it.  Apparently, it grossed 8 million last night and is the highest grossing film so far of the weekend, outgrossing White Chicks which is on more screens than Moore's film.  It is on track to make more this weekend than the entire gross of BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE.  

I think it's great that a non-fiction film can come out during the height of the summer and be the top-grossing film.  I think people have to get over screaming about the film having a point of view and decrying it is not a documentary.  No, it is editorial film-making, but apparently unlike so many of his media counterparts who editorialize, Moore offers some compelling ammunition for his point-of-view.  Can't wait to see it!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2004, 05:07:05 PM »

Isn't Dickie Moore also Mr. Jane Powell?

DR Sandra---
Cherry Coke has become harder to get here too.  Vanilla Coke (ugh!) seems toi have taken its shelf space in many stores.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2004, 05:13:28 PM »

Panni, if you paid more than fifteen bucks for person, you were overcharged.  The fee went up to fifteen from ten at the last show, I think.

I parked off-site, on the street.  This may be the first time they charged for parking.  I remember when the shows first started you could actually find a spot in the parking lot...I stopped even looking years ago and immediately go to a side-street.  I heard Bev Garland sold the motel, so that may be why the whole thing is going into a transition phase and moving.

Missed Meriweather & Palmer altogether.  Did not see my neighbour, Elvira there either, who was advertised...

Re:  The greying...I just think the whole thing may die out with our generation.  It doesn't seem to be getting infused with new blood...this collecting thing.  But it could just be a summer doldrum.  There was always a sad aspect of has-beenism to it with some of the so-called celebrities, but the shows used to be much more invirgorating and fun, with a bigger mix of stars young and old and a lot of the celebs just came for the fun of it and had a great time meeting the fans.  Now there seems to be an aura of desperateness, gotta-make-a-buck, to the whole thing.  Twenty bucks for an autographed picture indeed!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2004, 05:21:59 PM »

MattH, was  the Jason Isaacs' character in this installment of Harry Potter?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2004, 05:24:56 PM »

I'm looking forward to seeing it. ...Moore offers some compelling ammunition for his point-of-view.  Can't wait to see it!

Interesting that you have concluded that Moore has "compelling ammunition" when you haven't even seen the film.

I'll spare you the posting of the web links that debunk much of his delusional, paranoid, radical propagandizing.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

François de Paris

« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2004, 05:25:51 PM »

WEL,

It's Dickie Jones!

Michael is Moore
and Dickie is Jones!
See!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2004, 05:28:00 PM »

I'm back, and to prove it, I'm here.  What a deesaster this show was.  Don't know if the fact that Bill Clinton was in West Hollywood signing his big fat book, but something was definitely awry.  I have done the summer show for the last three years and it has always been pretty jammed on Saturday, less so on Sunday.  Today, right from the start, there was simply no one there.  For the first time, I was seated in the good first aisle rather than the center aisle, so I was really looking forward to lots of traffic.  Never happened.  Penny did okay but had traffic been what it usually is she would have cleaned up.  I did fine - sold a few scripts and a CD or two, etc.  But, normally you just can barely walk down that first aisle and today it was wide open from ten to five, despite having the likes of Marilyn Chambers, Tiffany, Dickie Moore, Sam Jones and Lee Meriwether all in our aisle.  The biggest lines were for Elvira and Angela Cartwright, and those were on the complete opposite side of the room and it seemed like those people who were over there, got those autographs and then left without doing the rest of the room.  Also seen, my new pal Charlene Tilton and daughter, Elke Sommer, who gave me a big warm smile, Ken Norton (sitting across from me) and many others.  Tammy Minoff dropped by for a spell, and Beth, one of our dear reader lurkers, came by.  Our very own Nick Redman stuck it out all day with me, which was very nice of him.  And it's always nice to see Pogue, Panni and Panni's dearest Rachel.

Now, might I just ask, where in tarnation IS everyone?  We need some home fries burning, baby.  Yes, burn, baby, burn - that's what I'M talkin' about.

Rain curtain: Yes, there was a rain curtain, and quite a bit of rain splashing all over everyone and the floor - one of the few effective moments of the evening.

François de Paris

« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2004, 05:28:41 PM »

WEL,

You're right about Mister Jane Powel!

"Jane Powell was married five times: Her fifth husband was former juvenile star Dickie Moore, with whom she'd fallen in love while he was interviewing her for his book on child actors. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Panni

« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2004, 05:29:47 PM »

Panni, if you paid more than fifteen bucks for person, you were overcharged.  The fee went up to fifteen from ten at the last show, I think.

No, I paid $15/pp. What I was referring to was your saying "And the entrance fee has gone up from five to ten"... If that had been the case, then I overpaid... But it wasn't, so I didn't.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2004, 05:34:15 PM »

And now... Show and tell.

Here is a photo of our very own Mr. Nick Redman, Charles Pogue (with poster), Panni and Rachel.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2004, 05:35:06 PM »

Here is a shot of Penny and her ever-lovin' husband, radio dj Doug McIntyre.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 05:35:27 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2004, 05:37:14 PM »

Here is a photo of someone we like to call Mr. Butt Man.  This guy was sitting near us, looking at stills, with his big-boy underpants showing along with his big boy butt crack.  Look closely and you might be able to see it.

Panni

« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2004, 05:43:00 PM »

Now there seems to be an aura of desperateness, gotta-make-a-buck, to the whole thing.  Twenty bucks for an autographed picture indeed!

That's not the overall impression I got. I think a number of the celebrities and lesser celebrities just want that jolt of recognition they get from fans or just the public in general. The first time I attended, I found it a bit embarrassing to walk down the aisle of tables, looking to see who was who. I felt obligated to stop at each table if I happened to make eye contact with the person sitting behind it. But once I got over that feeling, I realized that it was fun just to stop and chat. That it didn't even matter if I knew who the person was (as long as I didn't make that obvious!). And yes - some are there for the buck. Hey, why not?

Charles Pogue

« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2004, 05:47:08 PM »

Der Brucer, haven't seen it yet, but I've seen enough clips to find it already compelling...clips the news media are too timid to broadcast...clips like Bush talking war tough, then blithely going back to his golf game.  He has the attention span of gnat and the imposing sincerity of a used car salesman.

But you Republicans just keep ranting about Fahrenheit 9/11's paranoid propagandizing...it's been great free publicity for the film!  Poor Bill O'Reilly's knickers must really be in a twist.  First Al Franken has Bill's frivolous ego-driven law suit thrown out of court, now this.

You guys just can't stand it when the Liberals get the upper hand in propoganda.  The only thing is we're more honest in our propoganda.

But somehow you think it's perfectly okay for Cheney to come on TV and a tell a bald-faced lie that he never said something and then see the clip where he said precisely just that quote he denied.

This is not part of the film, by the by, I saw that on Jon Stewart the other night.  Cheney denying categorically that he didn't say something to a newscaster juxtaposed against another news clip where he said exactly that. If someone doesn't use it in an ad against the Republicans to show what frigging liars they are, they're fools...

The Bush regime has taken the O.J. Simpson approach to their habitual lying, just keep denying even if you're caught out and maybe the idiots will believe you if you say it long enough and loud enough and huff and puff with all sort of  hypocritical umbrage about how your good name is being vilified...Their contempt for the American public is...frankly... contemptible.   I also hope it is transparent come November.

Did anyone see Ron Reagen tearing the GOP a new a-hole the other day on Inside Politics?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2004, 05:48:34 PM »

I'm not there for the buck.  And I'm not there for the thrill of recognition.  Why the HELL am I there?  I have no clew.  Oh, yes, I like people to read my book, and I like them to have the Nudie DVD - that's basically it, although I did sell a few photos today, which surprised me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2004, 05:49:50 PM »

Out of the woods...

The Blue Jays come...

and feast

to be continued
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up