Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BEST PERFORMANCE BY A SLEEPING JEW  (Read 10074 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BEST PERFORMANCE BY A SLEEPING JEW
« on: June 11, 2012, 12:02:58 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were sleepy and Jewish, and now it is time for you to post until the Jewish cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: BEST PERFORMANCE BY A SLEEPING JEW
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 12:03:59 AM »

And the word of the day is: MIGNON!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 12:05:06 AM »

And here is our new release - it will be live at six in the morning - for those who can't wait, you know what to do:

Kritzerland is pleased to present a new world premiere limited edition soundtrack CD:

ALL IN A NIGHT’S WORK
Music Composed and Conducted by Andre Previn

Once upon a time in a land called Hollywood, major studios churned out wonderful, frothy, fizzy romantic comedies, one after another.  In 1961, Shirley MacLaine was riding high on the success of The Apartment and Dean Martin had become a real leading man after the team of Martin and Lewis had broken up.   They’d already appeared together in Vincente Minnelli’s Some Came Running and Paramount’s production of Career, and because both were terrific comic actors, it was a natural to pair them up in Paramount’s All in a Night’s Work.

All in a Night’s Work was given the lavish, glossy Paramount treatment – everything was top-of-the line – the director was Joseph Anthony (The Rainmaker, The Matchmaker, Career), and the bubbly screenplay was by Edmund Beloin (Visit to a Small Planet, The Sad Sack, Don’t Give Up the Ship), Maurice Richlin (Pillow Talk, Operation Petticoat, Soldier in the Rain, and the classic The Pink Panther), and Sidney Sheldon (Billy Rose’s Jumbo, Pardners).   And, in addition to the two leads, a stellar supporting cast – Cliff Robertson, Jack Weston, Charlie Ruggles, Norma Crane, Jerome Cowan, and Gale Gordon.

The plot kicks off in high style when a mysterious woman is seen running from a ritzy Palm Beach hotel room, wearing only a bath towel and not a very large one at that.   Since the hotel room’s guest, a New York publishing baron, is found dead in bed, the question is who was that lady and was that lady his mistress?  Complications, misunderstandings, mink coats, fancy nightclubs, and, of course, love and a happy ending, and all in glorious Technicolor, set to the romantic, propulsive, and phenomenal music of André Previn.

The main title sets the tone – an upbeat, dynamic, and colorful showpiece for orchestra.  That theme recurs again, but it’s the delicious and beautiful love theme that gets most of the attention, in a large number of guises – it’s instantly memorable and works wonderfully throughout the film – as underscore for romance, shopping, cocktails, dinner and dancing, and yes, more romancing, the kind of romance that only happens in the movies with beautiful music underscoring everything.  There are other equally excellent themes, and the score is just a constant delight of melody and inspiration.

All in a Night’s Work was transferred from the original session masters housed in the Paramount vaults.  The tapes were in excellent condition and in stereo save for two cues that only existed in mono.  The first of those is presented in sequence (track two), and the last, the complete finale, is presented in the bonus tracks section, since we had a shorter version of the finale in stereo.

All in a Night’s Work is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping.

CD will ship the last week of July  – however, never fear, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 12:25:05 AM »

CD has been ordered!  I don't want to have to get up early...I never want to have to get up early, if I can ever avoid it.

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 02:42:37 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 02:42:48 AM »

Back to the work week.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 02:43:16 AM »

Oatmeal, raisins, cinnamon and a banana with coffee.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 02:46:12 AM »

I'm very glad Once and Peter and the Starcatcher won awards. I wish P & the S would have won more, including Best Score (even though it's not a musical). I am also very, very glad that Traci Bennett did NOT win for End of the Rainbow. It was 2 hours of my life that I'll never get back. She was spoken of with a very good chance to win. Thankfully, they were wrong. They were wrong about a lot of things. Talk was Follies had it sewn up for Best Revival of a Musical as well.

Oh, Well.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 02:47:01 AM »

And now, off to the office (after my morning ablutions).

Doug R

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 03:03:16 AM »

Still pouring with rain  :(

Doug R

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 03:07:26 AM »

The fridge/freezer repair men came. They took one look at it and said it was past repair (so why did the previous repair man say it could be repaired?) My service contract provides for a new replacement if it can't be repaired but they said the phone line to head office was busy so they couldn't make arrangements for a replacement at the present time. They left saying they would phone to say what arrangements will be made. Grrr! Not happy!  >:(   
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 03:10:42 AM by Doug R »

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 03:14:06 AM »

Good morning, all. Back home and with a few hours' sleep under my belt. Hope I can stay awake through the day.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 03:14:27 AM »

Not good news on the fridge, Doug R. 
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 03:14:57 AM »

TOD: I'll have to start searching out the YouTube clips from last night's show.
― Voltaire

Danise

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 03:29:07 AM »

Morning all.  It's Monday.  Let the stress begin. 

Hope you all enjoyed the Tony's--you know how I feel about "award" shows. 

I found two side tables on sale at Walmart that fit my living room much better than the ones I had. The old ones were way to big but I got them for free so I wasn't complaining.  The new ones are much smaller but have both a bottom shelf and a drawer. 

I hate to get rid of the old tables because they are real wood.  I sat them out by the curb and doubt they will be there by the time I get home tonight.  Toby will miss the one that was by the window because he used to sit on it and look out.  He still has the cube so I didn't take his "tv" away.

I spent most of yesterday afternoon putting the new tables together.  Why is it that even if you follow the directions to the letter, you wind up with left over parts?  :)

Wishing all well and vibes to all those who need them. 

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Doug R

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 03:33:28 AM »

Not good news on the fridge, Doug R. 

I expect they're punishing me because I made a complaint. I'll probably be waiting several more weeks now.

Michael

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 04:18:41 AM »

good morning to all.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 04:20:29 AM »

my original plans got changed yesterday and I did something else and totally forgot about the show. Caught the last part of the show, but caught up with the musical # and some of the speeches on you tube.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 04:32:30 AM »

FROM SATURDAY  TCB SAID

Quote from: John G. on June 09, 2012, 04:30:27 PM
Thanks, Danise.

I'm in Rome today and too tired now to post any more photos. I leave tomorrow. So, I'll be off for a few days.

I think Rome is wonderful, but it's also too hectic  and noisy after a relaxing week away from  people. The throngs are just enormous, everywhere you turn. We went to the Trevi Fountain and you had to fight to get near the water. We saw the Spanish steps but didn't go near them for the same reason. There just wasn't enough time to get anywhere near the Coliseum or the Vatican or any place like that. Another trip.

You never try to visit the Vatican during the summer months (including June).  It was crowded when I was there in November, but you were still able to breathe and you could actually stand next to some of these people without the fumes killing you..

Did you mean the fumes coming from the people?
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 05:21:40 AM »

Good morning, all!I slept fitfully, mostly out of concern for the fact that I was up too late watching the Tonys and knowing I had to be up at 6:30. This morning I head up to the Bronx to work on the final mix of EILEEN with producer Judy Sherman.I suspect we will be adding crowd nises, gun fire. etc., and I hope it all goes smoothly. It's a schlep to Riverdale.

I also need to plan my week. DJ, my Appalachina collaborator, has done what I feared he would do and tried to circumvent several months ago. Now that his schedule's free, he's back into Appalachia but my schedule is getting crazy with a recording to be released and a recording to be made. I wanted to address changes and fixes two months ago, but I got no response to my concerns.  So, I've got to juggle that as well as everything else now.  And I need to see my barber.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 05:54:37 AM »

Continued refrigerator vibes for DR DOUG R.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 05:57:07 AM »

Juggling vibes for DR ELMORE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 05:57:43 AM »

Off for Monday banking and shopping.

MAD MEN.....disappointing end to the season.....that I didn't like a lot to begin with.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 06:05:11 AM »

I'm very glad Once and Peter and the Starcatcher won awards. I wish P & the S would have won more, including Best Score (even though it's not a musical). I am also very, very glad that Traci Bennett did NOT win for End of the Rainbow. It was 2 hours of my life that I'll never get back. She was spoken of with a very good chance to win. Thankfully, they were wrong. They were wrong about a lot of things. Talk was Follies had it sewn up for Best Revival of a Musical as well.

Oh, Well.

I had heard really good things about Traci Bennett as Judy Garland.  She was horrible.  And if she was supposed to be Judy in her final months, she didn't study her much.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

ChasSmith

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 06:05:58 AM »

Good morning to all.  And especially to my coffee.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 06:08:44 AM »

FROM SATURDAY  TCB SAID

Quote from: John G. on June 09, 2012, 04:30:27 PM
Thanks, Danise.

I'm in Rome today and too tired now to post any more photos. I leave tomorrow. So, I'll be off for a few days.

I think Rome is wonderful, but it's also too hectic  and noisy after a relaxing week away from  people. The throngs are just enormous, everywhere you turn. We went to the Trevi Fountain and you had to fight to get near the water. We saw the Spanish steps but didn't go near them for the same reason. There just wasn't enough time to get anywhere near the Coliseum or the Vatican or any place like that. Another trip.

You never try to visit the Vatican during the summer months (including June).  It was crowded when I was there in November, but you were still able to breathe and you could actually stand next to some of these people without the fumes killing you..

Did you mean the fumes coming from the people?

Yes, unfortunately I did.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 06:10:34 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ben

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 06:12:23 AM »

Oh, Well.

I had heard really good things about Traci Bennett as Judy Garland.  She was horrible.  And if she was supposed to be Judy in her final months, she didn't study her much.

They raved about her in England. Now I am an Anglophile through and through, but they got it wrong on this one. There were times during the show when she was actually good but she was saddled with a script made out of tabloid trash. On top of that between her interpretation and the direction the show veered wildly between jaw dropping badness and moments that I thought were good (most of those moments were provided by Michael Cumpsty).

ChasSmith

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 06:15:52 AM »

I meant to say something along these lines last night, and MR BK has beat me to it.  But here it is anyway:

What a PLEASURE the thank-you and other speeches in this show are, compared to what we must suffer elsewhere.  These people know how to comport themselves on a stage, how to face an audience and speak on a stage, how to read if necessary, no one is drugged out, they have a sense of timing, and...and...well, you know.

Has it always been thus on the Tonys?  I'd suppose so, to varying degrees, but I was struck by it last night in such a big way.  It was as though civilization was on the rise.  Or something.  

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 06:27:43 AM »

RE: The Tonys.

I also really enjoyed some of the speeches. Judy's was great. I also really enjoyed the girl who won for Best Actress in a Play. She seemed shocked. But she was so sweet.

I loved Neil Patrick Harris' closing number. I wish he could have done more numbers. I just enjoy everything he does.

I too was disappointed that we didn't get to see Bernadette Peters on the show (her award). But i did really enjoy Hugh Jackman. He seemed totally shocked that his wife was presenting. Personally when she said she had to go to the bathroom right before his award was coming up ... well that would have been a clue for me. But i enjoyed him a lot.

ChasSmith

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 06:28:04 AM »

A few likes and dislikes, off the top of my head...

ONCE:  I don't know much about it but now I want to see it.  

THE BEST MAN:  Looks simply delicious.  Want!

EVITA:  No.  DR Jrand and I were saying how that is a favorite number.  It was technically good -- and how great not to hear a train wreck in that one tricky section.  But there was no Che there, or much of anything else.  And no indication at all of how good or bad the Eva is.  Terrible choice for the show.

PORGY AND BESS:  No.  Confirmed everything I've read and heard since day one.  I wouldn't be able to sit through this total re-writing of the work.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up