Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PLUNGER SISTERS  (Read 11284 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: THE PLUNGER SISTERS
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2012, 12:55:13 PM »

My mom has an LED flashlight that she loves because it's so small but powerful.  The thing runs on SIX watch batteries! 

How big is her flashlight?  I have one I use at night that uses 3 AAA batteries.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »

Copy editor humor. We love sentences like this:

Joe Smith, 62, and his wife, Mary, 59, were both found deaf in their home by neighbors this morning.

WHAAAAAT?????
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2012, 01:00:11 PM »

Before posting this afternoon I was researching those little round batteries for my hearing aids.  I need to stock up and put them in every purse & hiking bag I carry. 

Today while hiking the batteries died & I accidentally didn't have any with me.  I lost a invaluable opportunity to practice using the various settings for my hearing aids. 

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2012, 01:01:25 PM »

We noticed the people below us who let us trim their trees (thus inviting the wrath of the Tree Police) have their house listed.  I was worried that they had done so because of the trees, but I was stunned to find out this morning that even though they've lived there for 30 years they're in default and about to go into foreclosure.

That is a shame.
That is very sad.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2012, 01:07:44 PM »

Years ago Craig gave me a pedometer.  I never could get it to work correctly even with functioning batteries. 

I bought one several years back and used it (or "used it") a little, and was never sure I had it calibrated right and working right.  I need to revisit that.  Which no doubt means a trip to the battery store, for starters...

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2012, 01:08:19 PM »

Years ago Craig gave me a pedometer.  I never could get it to work correctly even with functioning batteries.  Good luck DR Ron!

I've had some without batteries.  They never had a problem. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2012, 01:42:23 PM »

The whole day has been quite frustrating; first, there was the mess gettinhg downtown. Then, I went to the NYPL for a frustrating hour of not finding what I hoped to find on Historic Newspapers Online. Then i wwent to the post office to pick up the package the postman didn't leave on Monday. After a 20 minute search, I was told they cannot find the package. I got back here, had an hour and 15 ninute phone conversation with the fantastic condictor David Brophy, and I someone lept calling me and screwing up the phone call. Strangely, the incoming call did not go to the answering machine, which concerns me, but it also caused the phone to behave badly.  Speakingof behaving badly, during my 20 minute wait at the post office, an obnoxious mother who needs to train her child let this awful little girl run around from window to wind playing with the credit card meters, screaming, playing with the terminals for drpping off mail and packages. If there's a God, He will make that kid into a rug. Soon. He's already made the mother a vegetable.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »

I think the best part of the Tony Awards was NOT broadcast......Andrew Keenan-Bolger tweeted this picture of a backstage rumble between the Book of Morman cast and the Newsies cast......it was retweeted by my birthday twin DR JOSE....which is how I ended up with it.

Please to enjoy.....cue Leonard Bernstein music....

No matter how much glitz they may hang in the lobby and the auditorium of any theater, all backstage areas are always a dump by comparison.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 02:57:56 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2012, 02:09:04 PM »

DR ELMORE did you get your notice about Social Security yet?  When do you start getting your money back....although that's not quite how it works.....

Payments start in September! I can't wait.

You beat me by a month....I start in October (payment for September)!

I already started!    :P
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2012, 02:10:09 PM »

Back from doing my stuff.  The package that should have been there yesterday (sent Priority from two miles away) wasn't there today either.  So annoying.  But I'm sure they'll keep raising their rates. I got one package, though, from the UK - THAT got here in three days.  I've eaten, I've banked and I'm going to pack now.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2012, 02:15:56 PM »

I saw "Prometheus" and thought it was great. Splendid fun!

What I dislike about multiplexes, however, is the lack of presentation such as not using black borders around the image. "Prometheus" was filmed in 2.35:1 but on the screen where I saw it, the height was reduced to show it within a 1.85:1 frame. The whole point of the introduction of widescreen was to give a wider, bigger picture - not an overall smaller one. No wonder youngsters, nowadays, get confused about what widescreen is supposed to be all about; seeing it simply as a director's framing preference.

To Hell with the young people, I haven't the foggiest!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2012, 02:18:07 PM »

Thanks to having accepted a Voluntary [sic] Early Retirement deal from my day job employer last year, AND having not yet decided what I want to do when I grow up, I meanwhile enjoy the freedom of getting to such things as the Friday and Sunday events.  Looking forward to both, and to meeting a few of you DRs.

This is what I am enjoying as well....and I don't miss WORKING one bit.....although I still have plenty to do.

And I love being able to do things in the middle of the week that were out of the question when I had to get up at 5:30 the next morning.

I would love that, too.  <sigh>  Someday.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2012, 02:20:33 PM »

You really never know.  The DENNIS THE MENACE musical got nice notices, it just was marketed strangely..

I wish them well.  You just really never know what can hit. 

Who knew INSIDE OUT (which I'd really liked, and IIRC Jan Maxwell was in) would get a great Times review off-Broadway.

And look, yet another ANNIE revival this Fall.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 02:37:45 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2012, 02:22:53 PM »

Off to sell tickets and popcorn and clean up the joint......but I think we are sold out tonight.....including a group of 55 who are coming over from Illinois in a big bus....

Ann Marie's debut will need to be rescheduled.

(A very arcane That Girl reference).

very
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2012, 02:24:06 PM »

Thanks to having accepted a Voluntary [sic] Early Retirement deal from my day job employer last year, AND having not yet decided what I want to do when I grow up, I meanwhile enjoy the freedom of getting to such things as the Friday and Sunday events.  Looking forward to both, and to meeting a few of you DRs.

This is what I am enjoying as well....and I don't miss WORKING one bit.....although I still have plenty to do.

If I had been given a bigger/better offer in 2009 I might have been in the same position but it was not enough to keep me going (and I have a family to support) so I'm still here in the office and "look forward" to being here for the next 8 to 10 years. One can only hope I'll be able to collect my Social Security in 2020 or 2021.

I've got 24 years in and now I'm down to only 21 years to go. ::)

;)

Oh George, you could end up lucky, like me, and have your whole body start falling apart at age 39!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 02:27:38 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

ChasSmith

« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2012, 02:28:04 PM »

Holy moley...

CD player:  WHEN A STRANGER CALLS.  What an incredible score!  Dana Kaproff.  

(And the THX musical bit -- Who knew?!  Probably everyone but me.)  

Haven't seen the movie in probably 20 years or more, so must get a copy immediately.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2012, 02:29:40 PM »

If I had been given a bigger/better offer in 2009 I might have been in the same position but it was not enough to keep me going (and I have a family to support) so I'm still here in the office and "look forward" to being here for the next 8 to 10 years. One can only hope I'll be able to collect my Social Security in 2020 or 2021.

I've got 24 years in and now I'm down to only 21 years to go. ::)

;)

Oh George, you could end up lucky, like me, and have your whole body start falling apart at age 39!

Really and for truly?? :D

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »

You don't seem to have enough free time to be considered retired ;)

Good grief.  Slap my eyeballs.  I thought you wrote that Jrand didn't have enough time to be considered retarded.

Hey, don't blame me, blame my glaucoma.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 02:59:55 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2012, 02:32:31 PM »

I'm feeling rather depressed today probably because I picked up Sherlock & brought him home.  When the snow melts on Mt. Ashland we will take him to be with Echo.

Jane

« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2012, 02:34:55 PM »

You don't seem to have enough free time to be considered retired ;)

Good grief.  Slap my eyeballs.  I thought you wrote that Ginny didn't have enough to be considered retarded.

Hey, don't blame me, blame my glaucoma.

Laughing except for the glaucoma part.  The comment was for DR Jrand, not Ginny.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2012, 02:35:17 PM »

The whole day has been quite frustrating; first, there was the mess gettinhg downtown. Then, I went to the NYPL for a frustrating hour of not finding what I hoped to find on Historic Newspapers Online. Then i wwent to the post office to pick up the package the postman didn't leave on Monday. After a 20 minute search, I was told they cannot find the package. I got back here, had an hour and 15 ninute phone conversation with the fantastic condictor David Brophy, and I someone lept calling me and screwing up the phone call. Strangely, the incoming call did not go to the answering machine, which concerns me, but it also caused the phone to behave badly.  Speakingof behaving badly, during my 20 minute wait at the post office, an obnoxious mother who needs to train her child let this awful little girl run around from window to wind playing with the credit card meters, screaming, playing with the terminals for drpping off mail and packages. If there's a God, He will make that kid into a rug. Soon. He's already made the mother a vegetable.

It sounds like the darling cherubs next door!  Today, for the first time, they saw that I was in a wheelchair.  LOL!  It looked like it might have scared the Hell out of them.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2012, 02:36:27 PM »

My mom has an LED flashlight that she loves because it's so small but powerful.  The thing runs on SIX watch batteries! 

How big is her flashlight?  I have one I use at night that uses 3 AAA batteries.

That is the advantage of living alone.  To Hell with the flashlight, I just turn on all the lights.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 02:40:21 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2012, 02:39:10 PM »

I'm feeling rather depressed today probably because I picked up Sherlock & brought him home.  When the snow melts on Mt. Ashland we will take him to be with Echo.

My thoughts are with you both.
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2012, 02:39:46 PM »

I've sort of crashed today.  After my friend picked up the magazines I had some lunch, watched a CSI:NY episode with Richard, and went to the grocery.  Opted out of going to the Y with him - I'm staying home to take advantage of the cool, dry weather to cook us a real meal.  I've already warned Richard that until the new AC is installed, I'm NOT cooking much when it's hot and humid.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2012, 02:40:30 PM »

{{{{{Hugs}}}}} for DR Jane...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »

I've sort of crashed today.  After my friend picked up the magazines I had some lunch, watched a CSI:NY episode with Richard, and went to the grocery.  Opted out of going to the Y with him - I'm staying home to take advantage of the cool, dry weather to cook us a real meal.  I've already warned Richard that until the new AC is installed, I'm NOT cooking much when it's hot and humid.

Well, don't buy anymore deli deviled eggs!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2012, 02:45:26 PM »

Wow!  I have been given special pre-sale access to buy tickets for REFUSED, with SLEIGH BELLS!
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2012, 02:56:23 PM »

Well, don't buy anymore deli deviled eggs!

Got it, DR TCB!

Jane

« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2012, 03:03:33 PM »

It sounds like the darling cherubs next door!  Today, for the first time, they saw that I was in a wheelchair.  LOL!  It looked like it might have scared the Hell out of them.

How old are the cherubs next door?  You think it wouldn't be a knew experience for them.

Jane

« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2012, 03:05:11 PM »

That is the advantage of living alone.  To Hell with the flashlight, I just turn on all the lights.

When I have traveled alone I've enjoyed leaving the lights on instead of using a flashlight.  Now with the Nook it doesn't matter except I won't have to worry if the light from the Nook is facing Keith.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up