Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NEW YORK TRIP  (Read 13691 times)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
Re: THE NEW YORK TRIP
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 06:45:12 AM »

TOD:

Hero:

"Rick" in CASABLANCA

Villain:

"Johnny Rocco" in KEY LARGO
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 06:49:24 AM »

Has anybody noticed that Blu-ray releases of new titles are being priced less than their DVD counterparts?

The recent SHERLOCK HOLMES movie with Robert Downey, Jr. is $2.00 less on Blu-ray than it is on DVD.

I'm wondering if this new pricing is the studio's way to move customers out of DVD altogether and into Blu-ray.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 06:55:44 AM »

We watched LOVE NEVER DIES last night, the sequel to PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.

We liked some of the songs, the performers were good and the staging spectacular.

What we didn't like was the fact that this was a sequel, because the book "betrayed" all of the characters that had been established in the first play.  A sequel should be a continuation of the previous story, not a rethinking of it.

Has anybody else seen this?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 07:03:17 AM »

Heard not seen DR DRUXY......  I didn't think I would like it....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 07:04:27 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  It's a beautiful day in SW Ohio, perfect for the things Richard and I each have to do.  He's attending a funeral for an Anglican priest in Cincinnati at which both he and Rob will be pall bearers.  I'm unable attend because my mom has a doctor's appointment this afternoon that was already scheduled.  It would have been too complicated to try to change it.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 07:04:49 AM »

Travel vibes for BK - wave when you fly over Ohio!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Laura

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 07:06:45 AM »

Safe travels, BK! Wave when you fly over Arizona! (A DR Ginny reference)
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ben

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 07:12:36 AM »

Sandra wasn't eating a crawdad, was she? Or is she a Pescetarian (they don't eat meat or poultry but do eat fish, eggs, veggie cheese & milk-based products).

ChasSmith

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 07:16:43 AM »

Amazing weather today.  Sunny, breezy, and it actually looks like "they" are calling for a whole week without rain.  This is good.

ChasSmith

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 07:17:43 AM »

For better or worse, I haven't had any interest in LOVE NEVER DIES.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 07:24:54 AM »

We liked some of the songs, the performers were good and the staging spectacular.

What we didn't like was the fact that this was a sequel, because the book "betrayed" all of the characters that had been established in the first play.  A sequel should be a continuation of the previous story, not a rethinking of it.

I believe it's better called a continuation of the story.  Character's/People can change 10 years on and take on different characterizations.  I'm not trying to defend the material, just shedding a different light.  The story is weak, but for what it is, I thought it the music was good and the staging was cool. 

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 07:41:05 AM »

I believe it's better called a continuation of the story.  Character's/People can change 10 years on and take on different characterizations.  I'm not trying to defend the material, just shedding a different light.  The story is weak, but for what it is, I thought it the music was good and the staging was cool. 

I agree that people can change over ten years, but all of them so radically?

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 08:01:47 AM »

Heard not seen DR DRUXY......  I didn't think I would like it....
I'm with you, though I did like a couple of the melodies on the cast recording. Will watch when the library gets it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2012, 08:02:44 AM »

Sandra wasn't eating a crawdad, was she? Or is she a Pescetarian (they don't eat meat or poultry but do eat fish, eggs, veggie cheese & milk-based products).

Is there such a thing as a Floop-tarian?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ben

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2012, 08:06:53 AM »

I asked this question because Laura's quote at the end of her postings had Sandra asking about crawdads while eating a tostada and I wondered if the tostada contained crawdads?

P.S. Laura, I love your ever changing quotes.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2012, 08:15:52 AM »

Greetings from Toyland. I can only wish that the fools who run the MTA needed public transportation instead of driving their wealthy asses in private cars: I needed a No 3 bus today; according to the inaccurate schedules posted at bus stops, the No 3 was due around 10:08 and another at  10:17, I waited for nearly 25 minutes before one showed up at 10:25. I am not happy about this.

No, sir, i am not happy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2012, 08:21:36 AM »

I agree that people can change over ten years, but all of them so radically?

They were all very uptight  LOL

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2012, 08:28:38 AM »

And the word of the day is: REDOUND!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  RETURN TO ME

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2012, 08:33:18 AM »

That's two of us. I've never understood making the monstrous horror of the murderous Phantom into a tragic hero, either. Sure wasn't Gaston Leroux's intention. And, just like sequels to GONE WITH THE WIND, A DOLL'S HOUSE, frankly, my dear, who gives a damn?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2012, 08:45:11 AM »

MTA vibes for DR ELMORE.....and for DR DANISE who was attending a meeting about just this subject in her hometown last night.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »

I haven't watched it yet but have a copy.

John G.

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2012, 09:01:41 AM »

That's two of us. I've never understood making the monstrous horror of the murderous Phantom into a tragic hero, either. Sure wasn't Gaston Leroux's intention. And, just like sequels to GONE WITH THE WIND, A DOLL'S HOUSE, frankly, my dear, who gives a damn?
Well, there's a whole cottage industry of sequels to "Pride and Prejudice" and every Austen novel out there. I, too, wish people would leave the continuations of stories to people's imaginations in most cases. That said, I love some sequels, especially in actions movies like "Road Warrior" and "Terminator."
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2012, 09:02:46 AM »

I asked this question because Laura's quote at the end of her postings had Sandra asking about crawdads while eating a tostada and I wondered if the tostada contained crawdads?

P.S. Laura, I love your ever changing quotes.
I was just being floopy. I, too, love those quotes.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2012, 09:30:19 AM »

Sorry for stupid question, but is the Drama Book Shop the one at 250 W. 40th Street? 

Whoever's at 250 W. 40th, I'd define their web site as a little south of helpful in the events department.  According to my browser, the event being promoted is coming up on May 24th.

Ben

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2012, 09:37:25 AM »

Yes, DBS is on 40th Street. I don't think I've been to their Web site before. To speak in the vernacular, it's a piece of s**t.

Bruce mentioned a few days ago that there were issues with their publicity. The event isn't listed on their calendar but it is supposed to happen tomorrow from 5pm to 7pm

ChasSmith

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2012, 09:40:37 AM »

I remembered that, but just wanted to reassure myself that the situation was as bad as it looked!   :o

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2012, 09:49:42 AM »

Oatmeal with a fresh peach bought from the Green Market, cinnamon and pecans and a cup of coffee.

You went to a green market?  Don't you have any that are ripe?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2012, 09:50:42 AM »

And now, farewell. I must wash the bowl and the coffee cup.

Anthony is playing designer today. An older gentleman who lives in our building has enlisted his help to purchase and install new window shades. They are doing it in the late morning. I shall come home for lunch to an empty apartment.

Later, friends.

Do you go home for lunch every day?
“One thing’s universal,

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2012, 09:55:43 AM »

I attempted to record it when i played on our local PBS channel last week.  Unfortunately, it ran over the scheduled time, som I'm missing who-knows how much of the ending.  I might watch it when it's shown again...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2012, 09:55:52 AM »

Loved Mr H talking about the Tony Awards.

DR GINNY I loved the HARVEY clip!   DR TCB - retarded or not - I also turned down the role of Elwood....I just don't get it....however, the clip of Jim Parsons playing him....as a much younger man than usual, was very enjoyable....and it IS a funny play with the right cast.

I agree.  I thought Mr Parsons was much too young for the role, but he did give a more entertaining spin to the character.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up