Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: A FERVENT WISH  (Read 26146 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:A FERVENT WISH
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2004, 11:08:47 PM »

Welcome six GUESTS.  We're talkin' about barbecue!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: July 01, 2004, 11:09:10 PM »

Maybe we should talk about Barbie Benton instead of Barbecue.

Tomovoz

« Reply #182 on: July 01, 2004, 11:16:00 PM »

I had forgotten that Jimmy Webb wrote "Do What You Gotta Do". It's on the Winter Light" CD. I always associate with Al Wilson from around 1968.
Thanks for the memories Jose.
I have been away from the house for 7 hours and we are still on the same page!!!

DR François must make the difference - he is on holidays and will be sans computer for the next few weeks.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #183 on: July 01, 2004, 11:17:11 PM »

We were on the same page when I started typing!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #184 on: July 01, 2004, 11:17:16 PM »

I'm cooking oatmeal. Isn't that exciting? Maybe I should try barbecuing it. Why am I cooking oatmeal so late at night? Good question. I always cook several days worth, store it in the fridge, then just nuke it for breakfast. The end.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 11:20:29 PM by Panni »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #185 on: July 01, 2004, 11:17:19 PM »

...and whatever those damn things are that look like a xylophone only they're smaller and girls carry them in marching bands and they make a tinkley sound.

You refer, of course, to the glockenspiel, Dear Reader S. Woody White.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #186 on: July 01, 2004, 11:19:45 PM »

I'm cooking oatmeal. Isn't that exciting? Maybe I should try barbecuing it. Why am I cooking oatmeal so late at night? Good question. I always cook several days' worth, store it in the fridge, then just nuke it for breakfast. The end.

You should meet the step-mother of Dear Reader Stuart and myself, Dear Reader Panni.  She brews coffee, stores it in the fridge in mayonnaise jars, and then nukes it in the microwave when it is time to be consumed.

This is a process I cannot recommend to others.  I hope your stored and aged oatmeal does better than that coffee.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 11:33:16 PM by Jay »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #187 on: July 01, 2004, 11:19:50 PM »

You refer, of course, to the glockenspiel, Dear Reader S. Woody White.
"Glockenspiel" having nearly as many letters as I used in my discription of the instrument!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #188 on: July 01, 2004, 11:20:43 PM »

You're very welcome, DR Tomovoz.

Well, I've had a tiring day...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #189 on: July 01, 2004, 11:21:38 PM »

You should meet the step-mother of Dear Reader Stuart and myself, Dear Reader Panni.  She brews coffee, stores it in the fridge in mayonnaise jars, and then nukes it in the microwave when it is time to be consumed.

This is a process I cannot recommend to others.  I hope your stored and aged oatmeal does better than that coffee.
She does wash out the jars before storing the coffee in them, I hope!  It could make the difference.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #190 on: July 01, 2004, 11:24:52 PM »

Oh no! I've been quoted! I'm trying to figure out what is correct grammatically. What I wrote was wrong - "several day's worth" - that's incorrect. But is it "several days worth"...? Or is it "several days' worth"...?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #191 on: July 01, 2004, 11:25:05 PM »

Good evening all
I don't know from scary movies, so I can't add anything to the conversation.  
As far as BBQ is concerned, I'm a big fan of grilled stuff, but BBQ sauce is not my cup of tea.  I have had grilled corn on the cob...very yummy.  Grilled salmon is my favorite, hands down.  

I have my left wrist all wrapped up in an ace bandage...yesterday while playing with the kids, the 5 year old was hanging on to my hand and yanked me in a direction my arm didn't want to go.  It hurts...but oh well.  I think it's just a mild sprain.  

I'm watching M*A*S*H.  I was watching the Scarlet Letter, but it got too depressing.  

Panni

« Reply #192 on: July 01, 2004, 11:28:09 PM »

Nuked oatmeal is fine. I don't like instant oatmeal, but who wants to cook real oatmeal every morning? Cooking it once every three or four days and nuking is the perfect solution
...Nuked coffee, no thanks.

Panni

« Reply #193 on: July 01, 2004, 11:29:09 PM »

How did you like 110 in the Shade, Jay?

Jay

« Reply #194 on: July 01, 2004, 11:30:35 PM »

I obviously have returned from 110 in the Shade, Dear Readers.

First off, I have several very curious things to report about tonight's performance:

Miss Marin Mazzie did not appear in tonight's performance.

Mr. Jason Danieley did not appear in tonight's performance.

Miss Jessica Burrows and Mr. Stuart Ambrose, who are listed in the program as Miss Mazzie's and Mr. Danieley's understudies, appeared in their place.

No credit (neither in the program insert nor over the P.A. system) was given to the individuals who took the parts usually played by Miss Burrows and Mr. Ambrose, and no swings are listed in the program either.

Both Miss Burrows (whom I have seen before as Musetta in Baz Luhrmann's La Boheme) and Mr. Ambrose gave fine, polished performances.  They both have excellent voices and handled their roles with aplomb.

The quality of the talent in the other small background roles like the ones that Miss Burrows and Mr. Ambrose usually play was nowhere near that of these two.

Do you think Miss Mazzie and Mr. Danieley took this gig as a part time job?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 11:54:36 PM by Jay »

Jay

« Reply #195 on: July 01, 2004, 11:31:54 PM »

She does wash out the jars before storing the coffee in them, I hope!  It could make the difference.

She does.  Thankfully.

Jay

« Reply #196 on: July 01, 2004, 11:34:10 PM »

Oh no! I've been quoted! I'm trying to figure out what is correct grammatically. What I wrote was wrong - "several day's worth" - that's incorrect. But is it "several days worth"...? Or is it "several days' worth"...?

The quote function on my computer automatically corrects such little quibbles of punctuation.

Panni

« Reply #197 on: July 01, 2004, 11:44:16 PM »

Great full moon tonight. I just noticed it shining through the skylight. I might go sit outside for a bit and howl, then to bed to read.

Tomovoz

« Reply #198 on: July 01, 2004, 11:44:46 PM »

I guess the topic of the day was indeed horror stories DR Jay. Of course DR Panni - some of us think that oatmeal is a horror story too.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 11:47:26 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Jay

« Reply #199 on: July 01, 2004, 11:49:44 PM »

How did you like 110 in the Shade, Jay?

I was getting there.  First I must confess that I have never seen The Rainmaker on stage or screen, and this evening was my very first exposure to 110 in the Shade.

I liked it!  I liked the story, and the manner in which it was told by way of book and score.  The sets, and lighting in particular, were evocative and the ensemble was generally strong.

My favorite moment in the piece is the big scene between Lizzie and Starbuck early in the second act.  The sequence of "Evenin' Star" to "Melisande" to "Simple Little Things" is just breathtaking.  I would put it on a par with the similarly structured "If I Loved You" scene in Carousel.

Perhaps because I was a 110 in the Shade virgin and/or because I don't necessarily look at productions with the keen technical eye that Dear BK does, I do not share with him the quibbles he had about this show.

My only real complaint is with regard to the orchestra and its amplification.  The music sounded tinny and muffled and as if it were produced by artificial sound making appliances rather than real musical instruments.

Beyond that, I believe this show is one of the strongest productions that the Pasadena Playhouse has put on in the years that I have subscribed.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 11:52:21 PM by Jay »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up