Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A FERVENT WISH  (Read 26154 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A FERVENT WISH
« on: July 01, 2004, 12:01:24 AM »

Well, you've read the notes fervently, and now it is time for you to post fervently, because everything were doing from here on in will be fervent because that has become a new fershluganah haineshisway.com word.  To it, I say, and fervently while you're at it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 12:00:50 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:A FERVENT WISH
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 12:15:58 AM »

OOOHHH!!!!  In my late and last post from last night...

And we all read the late posts, don't we DRs?
 >:(
Don't we?

<nods>

;)

In my late and last post from last night, I said that Linda Ronstadt sang what was most likely the first rock and roll song ever written...  But now I can't remember the name...  HELP!!

-Maybe I need to get some sleep...

???
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 12:22:00 AM »

Well, I'm still fervently sitting in front of the fershluganah computer - which makes it around 15 hours ago that I first sat down. Maybe it's time to stop! Before I do, however, I'll second the Notes and say that fervent wishes and prayers for a good month and a good rest of the year are just the ticket. Spot on with crumpets. I think I'm channeling Arthur Treacher...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 12:32:07 AM »

Good Morning!

As for BBQ, or Bar-B-Cue, or Barbecue, etc...

I like the grill, but I don't love it.  Well, more precisely, I don't like manning the grill.  Just too smoky for me.  Yes, I know that's the point! ;)

And after thinking about it for a bit, most of the BBQ items I like to eat are more "smoked" than "grilled" - pulled pork, baby-back ribs, etc.

And my favorite BBQ recipe is one for Polynesian-style ribs that I got from Gourmet.  And it's cooked indoors in an oven.  So...

I'll post a link and some recipes after I get some sleep...

-However, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be up for a little bit while I think back to the song list from tonight's concert... "What's New?", "Bewitched", "Someone To Watch Over Me", "Straighten Up And Fly Right", "Never Will I Marry", "Adios", "I Keep It Hid", "Just One Look", "Lush Life", and... and... ??.. and... the one that goes like this... and.. ??...???

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 12:37:02 AM »

And I of course want you to remember those songs Jose. First Rock & Roll songs sounds a moot point! I think Alan Freed coined the term. Kay Starr's "Rock And Waltz" may have been the fist song to use the term in lyrics.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 12:40:32 AM »

Well, thanks to the title listings at amazon.com and the audio clips at towerrecords.com...

"It's Too Soon To Know" was the "first rock and roll song" that Ms. Ronstadt sang last night.

One down... How many more to go?  Hmm...

Sleep?  Who said sleep?
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 12:46:31 AM »

I think that everyone who wears black is doing a service for the rest of us.  It makes it so much easier to pick out the people who have dandruff.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 12:52:07 AM »

So I wonder when Don Gibson's "Too Soon To Know" became a R & R song! Maybe Linda knew it from the Roy Orbison version (which was still very "country").
Intruiging. Now Jose - the Jimmy Webb songs.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 12:53:06 AM »

Jim Webb has, deservedly, been inducted into the Songwriter's Hall of Fame.  He is also the author of one of the best books I've ever discovered on the craft of songwriting, Tunesmith.  Even though I can barely carry a tune, much less write one, I found it a fascinating read.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 12:57:03 AM »

I'm about to take a risk.  I have discovered that one of my co-workers, Christopher (who is taller than I), is not familiar with the songs of Cole Porter.  Oh yes, he can sing (to a degree) songs from POTO and some hits from the 80s back through the 50s, but there are clear gaps in his education.

So I'm going to loan him my copy of Anything Goes: Rebecca Luker sings Cole Porter.  If he does not return it in a reasonably prompt fashion, I do have a back-up for getting it's return: I have met his wife, and know where she works!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 10:35:02 AM by S. Woody White »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2004, 01:00:24 AM »

So I wonder when Don Gibson's "Too Soon To Know" became a R & R song! Maybe Linda knew it from the Roy Orbison version (which was still very "country").
Intruiging. Now Jose - the Jimmy Webb songs.

I'm working on it... Now... Trust me!

As for "It's Too Soon To Know", methinks she was covering Deborah Chessler - ??? - Well, that's what one of the reviewers on Amazon said, so... ;)

-Yes, I'm obsessing...

Hey, SWW, what are you still doing up?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 01:01:21 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 01:07:06 AM »

I know, I know, I've got to be at work in eleven hours, and need my beauty ugly whatever sleep.  I've a couple of other things to explore, and I'm to bed.

If I can find that bed, of course.  Right now, it's buried underneath a Labrador.

:-\

Jed

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 01:18:07 AM »

I have become an addict of late-night television, dear readers.  The programming directors of various and sundried cable stations have made their line-ups so that I may enjoy 4 hours of some all-time favorite series of mine on any given weeknight.  The West Wing, Cheers (two episodes), Northern Exposure, and Quantum Leap all back to back to back to back from 11pm-3am.  Too much of a good thing, my friends.  I'll never get back to a normal sleep schedule now.

Back to Northern Exposure...
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2004, 01:34:10 AM »

Two songs- same titles.
Deborah Chessler and Don Gibson's songs are Oh so similar. I remember the Pat Boone version of  the 1948 Chesler song by the Oriels. (a Doo-Wop song!)
Mr Whitburn lists them as the same song !!
At least it was some interesting research spurred on by DR Jose and Linda.

James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2004, 01:37:12 AM »

OK... OK..

I'll search for the other Jimmy Webb song later... Unless some other DRs know which other Jimmy Webb songs Linda Ronstadt has recorded.  -I know she's done more than a couple of them... I actually thought ASCAP's ACE database would help, but since you can't "combine" searches...

OH!  But "Get Out Of Town" was the Cole Porter number from her upcoming album.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2004, 01:47:10 AM »

Guess I am unlikely to post about BBQs or horror films!!

To follow on SWoody and Jose - Jim Webb as long been a favourite writer of mine. One of my favourite albums is "Watermark" by Art Garfunkel. A collection of wonderful Webb songs without the country edge of a Glen Campbell.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2004, 01:53:45 AM »

Linda sings Jimmy:  "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" and "Easy For You To Say". Both tracks are on "Get Closer".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2004, 01:54:21 AM »

I'm about to take a risk.  I have discovered that one of my co-workers, Christopher (who is taller than I), is not familiar with the songs of Cole Porter.  Oh yes, he can sing (to a degree) songs from POTO and some hits from the 80s back through the 50s, but there are clear gaps in his education.

So I'm going to loan him my copy of Anything Goes: Rebecca Liker sings Cole Porter.  If he does not return it in a reasonably prompt fashion, I do have a back-up for getting it's return: I have met his wife, and know where she works!

You could (shhh...don't tell anyone else) make a copy of the CD.  That way you don't have to loan out (and potentially lose or have destroyed) your very own copy!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2004, 02:04:41 AM »

The other Jimmy Webb song ??? "You Can't Treat The Wrong Man Right". It is on the CD "Winter Light" as is "It's Too Soon To Know". (The Chessler song!).
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2004, 02:24:15 AM »

Still more Webb/Ronstadt:
Still Within The Sound Of My Voice
Adios
I Keep It Hid
("Cry Like A Rainstorm" 1989 - the 2nd Cd I purchased - the first of new material)
James Thurber 1957

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2004, 05:27:40 AM »

I thought Ronstadt, too, had done an album entirely written by Jimmy Webb, but that may be a false memory.  What album is the wonderful I Keep It Hid on?  A teacher I know taught a number of women to belt using it.

Interesting that politics gets boos in Washington.  I guess people there figure they go to a concert to get a break from the daily same-old.  Ronstadt also dated Bob Kerry, Nebraska governor and senator who recently served on the 9/11 Commission.

Kritzer Time has inspired me to drag out the recording of Manhattan Tower.  I'll have a happiness cocktail.  Yes yes yes.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2004, 06:13:10 AM »

There are so many Broadway songs with the same titles that Donald once devoted an entire show to them.  One example of 3 songs with the same title:

"Suppertime" from
AS THOUSANDS CHEER
YOU'RE A GOOD MAN, CHARLEY BROWN
LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2004, 06:24:22 AM »

Favorite low budget horror film: HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL. I would have typed THE BAT, but I think it's more of a mystery thriller than a horror movie.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2004, 06:26:10 AM »

On the topic of black. I don't think I've ever worn all black. If I wear black pants, I'll wear a different colored shirt. Black shirt (of which I have maybe two), different colored pants.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2004, 06:28:03 AM »

Well, I would have said barbecued chicken as my favorite BBQ dish, but that friend who had the cookout several weeks ago and served racks of barbecued baby back ribs must change my mind. That's definitely my favorite. I don't know when I've enjoyed a meal more than than one.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2004, 06:31:37 AM »

Don't have any recipes to offer with barbecue. My ex- had a marvelous recipe for barbecued pork that he first parboiled, stripped the meat off the bones and then mellowed somehow in a crock pot. Alas, that recipe left the house when he did.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2004, 06:57:27 AM »

Notes from Yesternight:

Jose:

harmonically, lyrically and otherwise - was written when Mr. Strayhorn was only 14 years old.  *I may have misheard that last fact - I know he young when he wrote that song, but I had never heard he was that young when he wrote that song.

Research:

From Billy Strayhorn Website:

November 29, 1915 - William Thomas Strayhorn born in Miami Valley Hospital, Dayton, Ohio to James Strayhorn and the former Lillian Craig.
1920 - After periods living in various locations including Montclair, New Jersey, the Strayhorns settle in greater Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

1926 - Billy Strayhorn begins private lessons.

1927 - In seventh grade, Strayhorn starts his music study at Westinghouse High School under Carl McVicker and other teachers.

1929-1933 - While at Westinghouse, Strayhorn engages in various musical activities, including participation in the Orchestra Club. As first pianist with the Senior Orchestra, Strayhorn performs Edward Greig's Piano Concerto, opus 16, among other pieces. During this period, he begins composing his first works combining jazz and classical elements.

November 6, 1935 - Premiere of "Fantastic Rhythm," a musical revue with book, music and lyrics by Billy Strayhorn, performed at Westinghouse High School.
September, 1936 - Strayhorn attends the Pittsburgh Musical Institute, a private music conservatory.

1933-1936 - Working on the piece sporadically over a period of several years, Strayhorn composes "Lush Life."

FromWikipedia:

Strayhorn began his musical career in Pittsburgh, where he studied for a time at the Pittsburgh Music Institute, wrote a high school musical and, while still in his teens, composed "Lush Life," a work that had all the world weariness of a much older man.

Born in Dayton, OH, on 29 November 1915, the young composer and pianist Billy Strayhorn offered his composition Lush Life to Duke Ellington in 1938;

Based on the above, he may have started fiddling around with what would be "Lush Life" in 1929 (age 14), but it would seem it did not take shape until at least 1933 (age 18)

der fervant researcher Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2004, 07:43:03 AM »

Mmmm...BBQ...I like big slabs of marbled beef!

Obscure horror/sci-fi films!

THIS IS NOT A TEST (1962)would be one of my favorites..about a group of people who are forced to take refuge by an overzealous motor cop during an atomic attack.

THE LAST WAR (1961) Japanese film about a family who is preparing for an atomic attack (hmmm...I see a theme here)

BEES SAAL BAAD (1961) Bollywood (you didn't really expect me NOT to mention a Bollywood film did you) film about a ghost in the swamp.

BLOODLUST (1961) June Kenney and Robert Reed play teenagers who are being hunted down like animals on a tropical island. Sort of a teen remake of MOST DANGEROUS GAME.

I no doubt have more obscure favorites but I haven't had enough coffee yet to be able to recall them all!

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2004, 07:53:40 AM »

Just wanted to mention that I read an article at the end of last year about the health problems of drinking too much soda, either diet or full strength. As someone who has a diet soda instead of coffee in the morning and who sips on diet soda throughout the day, I decided I'd make 6:00 my cut-off point. At 6 p.m. each day, I switch to water.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2004, 07:55:55 AM »

Speaking of toosie-frootsie ice cream, I pulled off my shelf the documentary THE UNKNOWN MARX BROTHERS which I bought not long after I got my first DVD player. I love this documentary but haven't seen it in quite some time. Looking forward to getting reacquainted with it after lunch today. Then on to DRIVING MISS DAISY.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up