Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SIX MUSICAL NUMBERS  (Read 31535 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: SIX MUSICAL NUMBERS
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2012, 01:37:13 PM »

Three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2012, 01:38:07 PM »

I need a nap. Got five or six pages done on the paper from hell, but it's all too depressing, so I'm off to sleep.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2012, 01:50:09 PM »

I need a nap. Got five or six pages done on the paper from hell, but it's all too depressing, so I'm off to sleep.

What is the subject matter?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2012, 01:56:32 PM »

Good Morning! Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm in still in Chicago!
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2012, 01:58:48 PM »

Are you sure?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2012, 02:00:11 PM »

What a boring first half!
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2012, 02:06:06 PM »

Are you sure?

Umm...

Hold on...

Lemme check...

Uh-huh...

OK...

Yep. I'm still in Chicago.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2012, 02:11:17 PM »

Dinner at Alinea last night was beyond what I ever contemplated it would be. Yes, it was delicious, very delicious, but it was also humorous! Some of the dishes actually made me giggle! And they were supposed to do that. Yes, it's a temple to molecular gastronomy, but it tempers that very scientific approach with a very doesn't-take-itself-too-seriously side.

I believe the final count was 15 courses, but some of those courses consisted of multiple components. It was paced over the course of just under three hours. And the dessert was a literal child's playground of sugar. Yosh and I actually ended up eating the whole thing! -And then we walked for about two miles before I hopped back in a cab to David's place and he went to his hotel.

I did take a couple of pics, and I'll get them posted sometime. In the meantime... It was more than worth dealing with their "ticketing" system and the cost of said tickets.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2012, 02:12:09 PM »

This morning, we went to m. henry for breakfast, and then Yosh and I headed to the Art Institute of Chicago. I got one really nice pics there - and if you look at my Facebook page, you'll see it. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »

And now we're about to get ready to head to dinner at The Bristol where we will be supping with my friends, Cory and Lisa, who happen to be newlyweds. And then Lisa, David, Yosh and I will be heading to Navy Pier for tonight's performance of Sunday in the Park with George at Chicago Shakes. -Cory has a ballet gig tonight - he's a clarinetist. Not a dancing clarinetist, he plays in the orchestra. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2012, 02:15:11 PM »

~~~~~NON-TROUBLESOME VIBES FOR BK~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2012, 02:15:25 PM »

And...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2012, 02:22:34 PM »

Defensive battle, for sure!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2012, 02:31:14 PM »

And now we're about to get ready to head to dinner at The Bristol where we will be supping with my friends, Cory and Lisa, who happen to be newlyweds. And then Lisa, David, Yosh and I will be heading to Navy Pier for tonight's performance of Sunday in the Park with George at Chicago Shakes. -Cory has a ballet gig tonight - he's a clarinetist. Not a dancing clarinetist, he plays in the orchestra. ;)

I think it would be really cool if Cory was a dancing clarinetist!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2012, 02:32:04 PM »

Defensive battle, for sure!

You call it defensive, I'll call it boring!
“One thing’s universal,

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2012, 02:33:21 PM »

I think it would be really cool if Cory was a dancing clarinetist!

Someone let John Doyle know he's available

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2012, 02:36:29 PM »

Dinner at Alinea last night was beyond what I ever contemplated it would be. Yes, it was delicious, very delicious, but it was also humorous! Some of the dishes actually made me giggle! And they were supposed to do that. Yes, it's a temple to molecular gastronomy, but it tempers that very scientific approach with a very doesn't-take-itself-too-seriously side.

I believe the final count was 15 courses, but some of those courses consisted of multiple components. It was paced over the course of just under three hours. And the dessert was a literal child's playground of sugar. Yosh and I actually ended up eating the whole thing! -And then we walked for about two miles before I hopped back in a cab to David's place and he went to his hotel.

I did take a couple of pics, and I'll get them posted sometime. In the meantime... It was more than worth dealing with their "ticketing" system and the cost of said tickets.

I thought we had eaten there until I read your description of the restaurant which doesn't fit mine.  I'll try and remember to ask Bryan.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2012, 02:43:49 PM »

I spent the afternoon watching two of the Anthony Warlow productions from Opera Australia: FLEDERMAUS and the double bill of HMS PINAFORE/TRIAL BY JURY.  The Gilbert & Sullvans were excellent, nicely staged, very funny, rather well sung except for the comedienne playing Little Buttercup who looks great but she's a strident belter, not a G&S singer who seems out of sync with everyone else. The other ladies and the men, especially Warlow who plays Captain Corcoran and The Learned Judge, were superb.  TRIAL BY JURY, about abreach of promise suit, is updated to the present and it's still an outrageous look at the British legal system. I don't know why they cut Angelina's arrival in court in her wedding dress with her bridesmaids in full regalia. This meant cutting the Judge sending love notes to the Maid of Honor until he sees Angelina and transfers his affection along with the Defendant flirting with the bridesmaids the everything else is staged really well.  I recommed this DVD highly.

FLEDERMAUS was also quite wonderful, although it was a bit broad for me: they're all playing to the back of the opera house, especially the singer playing Adele the parlor maid, and it's Way Too Big - sometimes Too Shrill - for TV. The staging, set in 1930s Manhattan instead of 1874 Vienna, looks good and the orchestraplays the score beautifully. For some  strange reason, the last part of the second act, before the great finale, is suddenly played darkly, about exposing the characters behnd the masks, which is a wrong move: the masks are all part of a revenge plot. Warlow is a fantastic lead; his French Marquis Renard disguise is really excellent.

I had seen the FLEDERMAUS before but I'd never seen the PINAFORE. After the Guthrie Theatre G&S abortion PBS showed early this year, it was nice to know that someone can still direct a 19th Century comic opera with zest, fun and taste. The videos from the Stratford Festival of the early to mid 1980s are terrible: a lot of revising of score and text, prancey campy staging by a choreographer who thinks swshy movement and nelly queens are funny, and a lot of the battle-axe ladies' roles played by men. Pathetic.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 02:46:05 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2012, 02:48:57 PM »

Remember this TRIAL BY JURY, DR Elmore?

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2012, 02:52:24 PM »

Trauma and the concept of home after 9/11.
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2012, 02:54:46 PM »

Trauma and the concept of home after 9/11.

Oh yes, cheery!
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2012, 02:57:09 PM »

I thought we had eaten there until I read your description of the restaurant which doesn't fit mine.  I'll try and remember to ask Bryan.

I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I had a good friend, who died a couple of years ago, who was a great foodie and found dinner there to be a three-hour bore.

I haven't had a great deal of the molecular stuff myself. The closest we get here would be the smoke and mirrors of the nitrogen stuff, and I am not impressed. Still, everything I've read about Alinea intrigues me. Looking forward to the photos.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 02:58:46 PM by John G. »
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2012, 03:32:08 PM »

I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I had a good friend, who died a couple of years ago, who was a great foodie and found dinner there to be a three-hour bore.

I haven't had a great deal of the molecular stuff myself. The closest we get here would be the smoke and mirrors of the nitrogen stuff, and I am not impressed. Still, everything I've read about Alinea intrigues me. Looking forward to the photos.

I don't believe I would appreciate the food at Alinea.
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2012, 04:47:35 PM »

Oh, well, at least Urban Meyer had to work to win his first Big Ten game:  Ohio State 17, Michigan State 16.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2012, 04:51:27 PM »

Page three?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2012, 04:51:33 PM »

Three pages?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2012, 04:51:48 PM »

We'd better get us some frenzies goin' on.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2012, 04:51:57 PM »

Or there will be hell toupee.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2012, 04:52:36 PM »

Thankfully the important envelope was there so I did my banking - also had a couple of small packages.   

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2012, 04:55:20 PM »

The run-through went pretty well.  One of the reasons I insisted doing a small audience run was to let her get the butterflies out of her stomach and to make the mistakes for them rather than her sold out house tomorrow night.  While she did very well, she went to weird places that she's never gone to in certain ways, exactly as I suspected would happen.  Her patter pauses were endless occasionally.  But I took detailed notes and she knew what she'd done and understood all the little notes.  So, I now think she'll be fine, having gotten one under her belt.  The act ran exactly one hour.  I made one little cut in a song, which will help the one thing in the show that I thought overstayed its welcome.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up