Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT AND THE GYPSY IN MY SOUL  (Read 22546 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT AND THE GYPSY IN MY SOUL
« on: November 29, 2012, 12:05:23 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes fought the good fight and had some gypsy in their soul, and now it is time for you to post until the fighting cows come home - they're currently singing about Caroline, the new cow, the true cow, the moo cow.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT AND THE GYPSY IN MY SOUL
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 12:06:16 AM »

And the word of the day is: WASSAIL!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 12:49:06 AM »

With all this talk of "Gypsy," I went to Screen Archives Entertainment to (finally) pre-order the Blu-ray of Gypsy.  I decided to look at what other Blu-rays are about to be released and I saw that Dick Tracy is going to be released on Blu-ray!  I ordered both!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 01:27:42 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 01:28:19 AM »

I didn't win Powerball so after my last day today I will return to the office on Wednesday, January 2nd to continue my employment for another 7 years.

Ben

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 01:28:45 AM »

Oatmeal, raisins, cinnamon, walnuts and coffee.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 01:29:49 AM »

The weather is decent right now. It's a bit below average but no snow, no bitter cold, no wind. I'm happy.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 04:32:46 AM »

good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 04:38:31 AM »

Good morning, all.

Health vibes for those in need.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Michael

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 04:40:50 AM »

I saw Deathtrap twice on stage. Stacey Keach on Broadway and Brian Bedford in Toronto. Keach played the role with a bit more humor than Bedford.

I disliked the film mainly because the changed ending of the play. (A minor plot point is explained in the play)

The film played up the moment when Caine and Reeves kiss.

The final moments of Act One is one of the most thrilling and exciting moments I ever had in the theater
Never stop dreaming.

John G.

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 04:47:11 AM »

TOD: The "Gypsy" I saw with Patti LuPone is probably the best night of theater I've had. She writes that she was different every night, and her "Rose's Turn" was different from the one I saw on YouTube, but her intensity and Laura Benanti's growing steeliness made for a great evening.

In all my years of reviewing theater, I recall seeing the show only one other time. It was a summer stock production that had a stage in the round, so they wrote in a fourth stripper for "You Gotta Have a Gimmick," so someone was facing each part of the audience during the number. They also wrote in lyrics for her to sing. Not very good lyrics, either, as you might imagine.

YouTube has a host of ""Rose's Turn" videos, including some great rarities. There's a recording of Merman during her final performance, performing the number at a much slower pace than the one on the album. Betty Buckley, Tyne Daly (much better than the recording suggests), even the boy from "Glee" are all there.  
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 04:53:58 AM »

Good morning, all.

Coffee!     AND, if you don't mind.....DAIRY!     :)

John G.

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 04:54:27 AM »

Congratulations, George, on your preferred candidate getting the job at the library.
― Voltaire

Kerry

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 04:58:52 AM »

Well, it is now Thursday.  That's as pithy as I can be for 5:50 in the morning.
I like boat races.

ChasSmith

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 05:32:49 AM »

TOD

Of the several productions of GYPSY I've seen (none of which I'm sorry to say were any of the Broadway ones), the most recent was the best -- a community production last year in Torrington, CT at the wonderful renovated 1930s movie palace, the Warner Theatre.  The woman who played Rose could not have been more believable or brilliant in every way.  But everyone else was very nearly her equal, and I had to sit there and eat my heart out because I'd been asked to play in the pit, couldn't because of schedule conflicts, and the orchestra was spot on perfect and thrilling as well.

And then I've seen a few stinkers.  But the thing about the stage version is that it's perfect -- book, songs, orchestration -- and something of that always comes through, however excruciating the performance.

I'd grown up loving every note of the original cast album, and when I first saw the movie I was thrilled to see the thing unfold on screen but somewhat less thrilled with some of the music.  I bought the soundtrack LP, which I still have, but it wasn't one I returned to much over the years.  Now I can much better appreciate all that's great about it, and I shall do exactly that very soon.  (I spot-checked the Blu-ray when it arrived yesterday, and it looks and sounds fabulous.)

Have to agree about the extreme key changes acting as black holes and sucking in everything around them.  But as we have all learned to accept here or there, "it is what it is", and that Warner production is something to behold on a good screen and sound system.  

And to portray that (perfect) original overture being played/dubbed onscreen under the main titles = pure genius.  (If I recall, it's unaltered, but I'll check it closely when I watch next time.)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:36:37 AM by ChasSmith »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 05:33:36 AM »

Good morning, all! I thnk this neti pot is a good thng. I was asleep before midnight, and at 7:15 when the alarm rang, I didn't feel drugged out of my mind.

I will shortly head to Toyland, where it will be a looooooooong day: I have work to accomplish before the 1:30 meeting with the Man from Philadelphia and my colleagues, which could be either a good thing or a disaster. Either way, it will be long meeting, since the Man from Philadelphia likes to hear himself talk. It will be good, though, to see my colleagues, and - much as I gripe about TMFP - I like him, and I think he's a good man.

TOD:
I've seen onstage Lupone and Tyne Daly, and I once played Pasty, the stage manager at the strip joint, in a summer theatre production. 

I found Lupone too hard driven, and all of her music too fast and charmless, as though she confused the words aggressive and speedy. I did like Benanti.

I liked Daly better, although her weaknesses as a singer are really apparent on the cast album.

Midler? I have no memories of it now.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 05:34:59 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Healthy Vibes for BK! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 05:36:26 AM »

;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 05:38:21 AM »

Morning.

Wonderful rain last night.

It's beginning to feel like the holidays.  Yea.

Coffee will wait till I get to work. 
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 05:38:58 AM »

And off to work.

And I need 10 hours of sleep tonight.

;D ;D

ChasSmith

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 05:39:17 AM »

I saw the Midler the night it was first broadcast, and likewise have no memory of it.  Didn't it at least follow the book pretty well?  Not even sure about that now.

I think the Tyne Daly recording itself leaves something to be desired, but I've heard nothing but great things about her portrayal on stage.

Sam

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 05:39:34 AM »

Mega vibes everyone.

:) ;)

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 05:59:27 AM »

Yesterday DR Jane wrote:
It is my understanding that it is the publisher's who have decided not to sell certain eBooks to the libraries.

Does your library have the other Lisa Garnder ebooks? If so then it makes little sense since Catch Me is part of a series. But i guess if they have the book in hardcover ...

Maybe you could get one of those book holders (you place the book in it and it holds the book for you!). I've seen pictures of people reading books in the bath with a bath book holder. I'd be too afraid that the book would fall in.

John G.

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2012, 06:37:08 AM »

Midler is out of her element in the heavy-lifting scenes of Gypsy, and she later admitted that she didn't get it. Vocally, she's not bad.

I'm not fond of Russell. I never get the feeling that she could have ever been anywhere near as good as Natalie Wood. Arthur Laurents once said, in his inimitable way, that Russell's "Rose's Turn" was all about the shoes, a pair of black-and-white things that shine so brightly they upstage the performer.

I heard the production was terrible, but Bernadette Peters' version of "Rose's Turn" on the Tonys was a knockout.
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 06:54:01 AM »

BK,

I don't know if it's an advantage or a disadvantage, but I've never seen DEATHTRAP on stage...although I may have read it.  Don't really recall.

Nevertheless, I've seen the movie 2-3 times and I do like it.

:o
You can dream…or you can do.

Ben

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 06:56:32 AM »

Midler is out of her element in the heavy-lifting scenes of Gypsy, and she later admitted that she didn't get it. Vocally, she's not bad.

I'm not fond of Russell. I never get the feeling that she could have ever been anywhere near as good as Natalie Wood. Arthur Laurents once said, in his inimitable way, that Russell's "Rose's Turn" was all about the shoes, a pair of black-and-white things that shine so brightly they upstage the performer.

I heard the production was terrible, but Bernadette Peters' version of "Rose's Turn" on the Tonys was a knockout.

If BP had done in the theatre every night what she did on the stage at the Tony Awards it would have been a different show. I saw her Gypsy and I saw the Tony Award performance and they were two completely different animals. She didn't do well in the show. I remember Laurents going on and on about how Rose was a small woman and Peters fit her physically so well. Bullshit. Just because you're right for a part physically doesn't mean you'll do a good job. She was a knockout on the Tonys but she was a mess on stage during the show. It's all supposition on my part, but that's probably one of the reasons why Laurents finally agreed to let PL do Gypsy, because he was not happy with the BP production.

Doug R

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2012, 06:58:35 AM »

I had shredded wheat for breakfast, which I haven't had in years. At one time it was my favourite breakfast cereal. 

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2012, 07:02:37 AM »

TOD:

I saw Angela Lansbury do GYPSY at the Shubert several years ago.

The movie, though directed by Mervyn LeRoy (one of my mentors) is okay; not great.  I think that Bette Midler's TV version is better, but its been so long since I've seen that version that I don't have any distinct memories of it.

Despite the fact that Jule Styne was once (briefly) a publicity client, GYPSY has never really been one of my all-time favorite musicals.
You can dream…or you can do.

ChasSmith

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2012, 07:18:08 AM »

I ordered DEATHTRAP too, but as an afterthought so it'll be here in a few more days.  I only ever saw the movie on pan-and-scan TV years ago, have never read or seen the original play, so it's actually one of my rare gambles in buying a film.  But I wanted to enjoy the opportunity to properly view it, and if I don't like it enough to keep it, I have a DEATHTRAP-fanatic friend I can gift it to.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2012, 07:20:50 AM »

Greetings from Toyland!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up