Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: RIGOLETTO  (Read 20193 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
RIGOLETTO
« on: January 23, 2013, 12:06:56 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were operatic, and now it is time for you to post until the operatic cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: RIGOLETTO
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 12:07:36 AM »

And the word of the day is: FANFARONADE!

Doug R

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 01:19:28 AM »

The snow is going fast now, although the local roads are still hazardous. I took this, in the park next to where I live, before it all melts.

Doug R

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 01:23:10 AM »

Pleased to say that it looks as if the chain of HMV stores in the UK will be saved by Hilco, who have taken over the debts and who own the HMV stores in Canada.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 01:27:59 AM »

Yesterday at work, I received THREE packages!  Two were from Amazon.  One of the Amazon packages was the London cast recording of The Lord of the Rings (with bonus DVD), and the other had three items: 

Patti LuPone's new CD, Far Away Places: Live at 54 BELOW

The Broadway cast recording to Leap of Faith

The London cast recording to Lend Me a Tenor

I only was able to listen to LOTR and Patti's CD (I really liked it...no surprise there) and I'll listen to the other two today or tomorrow.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 01:38:12 AM »

The last package was from eBay...my brand new multi-region Blu-ray/region-code free DVD player!  The first thing I played was a burned (standard 4:3) DVD and it was totally stretched to fill my widescreen TV screen.  At first, I couldn't figure out what to do to change that!  It took a while, but there was a TV format setting and when I changed it, everything displayed in the proper aspect ratios.  I then played a purchased DVD and it looked fantastic.  I forgot that this was also an up-converting DVD player. 

Then I played a Region A (US) Blu-ray disc and it was great.  I changed the setting according to the directions to be a Region B player and it played my region B Blu-ray!  It worked!!  This Toshiba player is also much quieter and quicker than my Samsung Blu-ray player.  And since my region-code free DVD player wasn't working properly, I will only need one player instead of two.  Definitely recommended. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 01:48:38 AM »

Just had to share. :)

George

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 01:53:14 AM »

From yesterday...love the pictures of BK and KevinH and Brent Barrett, the WSMA!

Ben

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 02:00:08 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

George

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 02:07:05 AM »

Hi, Ben!  (a Follies reference)

George

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 02:08:14 AM »

Well, I must be off to bed (finally).  But before I go...

George

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 02:08:47 AM »

Congrats on John G's 14000th Post plateau!

:D

George

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 02:09:51 AM »

Good night, Ben, and anyone else around these here parts!

Ben

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 02:43:53 AM »

Glad to see you're in Bed, George.

I'm up and about for the day.

It's 12 degrees and it won't get above 18 if they are correct.

I'll be in an office for most of the day and then I'm seeing Lincoln this evening at a SAG screening. There will be a talk back with Sally Field, hosted by Gayle King, after the movie. As much as I want to see the talk back, I think I won't be home until late if I stay for the entire thing. The movie is at 7, it's 3 hours which means 10pm and then a talk back, probably after a break. I may have to be rude and leave before it's over or I won't get home until after midnight.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 02:44:12 AM »

Oatmeal, raisins, pecans, cinnamon and coffee.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 02:51:28 AM »

good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

ChasSmith

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 04:35:04 AM »

Good morning, all.

And oy!  And not necessarily in that order.

ChasSmith

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 04:35:51 AM »

Trying a few new brands of K-Cups.  This one is called Foglifter, because that's what I need.

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 04:39:26 AM »

I know I need to suck it up and buy a new mattress, but it's so weird how I'll have a week of absolutely no backaches upon getting out of bed in the morning, then a week when it's nothing BUT backaches.  Guess which week this is.

Then on top of that, my left knee feels like I'd better treat it very gingerly till I'm more limbered up today.  Maybe even after I'm limbered up.  I sort of twisted it recently, nothing major, but that little warning feeling is rearing its ugly head this morning.

ChasSmith

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 05:21:33 AM »

Love the notes on discovering opera recordings in Phil Harris Records.

Earliest memories there have me flipping through the classical operas on RCA Victor and Victrola (their budget reissue label), Columbia and Odyssey (theirs), London and Richmond (likewise), et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. 

My own big discovery was Bernard Herrmann's WUTHERING HEIGHTS, which I believe BK has reported as well.  I never acquired or heard Robert Ward's THE CRUCIBLE.  This shall be rectified by watching for the original LP, which is how certain things like this need to be owned and played by the likes of moi.

Fortunately, such things are often easy to find in excellent condition.  The folks who bought them were usually careful with their records to the point that they often appear never to have been played -- which indeed is likely the case with some big sets like operas and recorded plays, where people sometimes listened to the first side and never moved on.

ChasSmith

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 05:41:41 AM »

Oddly enough, I thought the title of the notes was going to be in reference to the Metropolitan Opera's new production of RIGOLETTO which is set in the Las Vegas of the Rat Pack!   :)   That's their next "Live in HD" presentation in movie theaters, and should be easy and enjoyable enough to sit through.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 05:55:20 AM »

Good morning, all! I am staying home today to accomplish some things here.

At some point, I will run out and purchase a host gift, since I am going up to Harlem tonight for dinner with my friend Richard and his partner Gary at their new home. The other dinner guest is someone I do not know but who lives a block away from me. I'll take the subway up, but I believe that I will take a taxi home.

DR Ben, I hope you enjoy LINCOLN; I've been wanting to see it again.

More coffee!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 06:04:39 AM »

It's Wednesday for some reason.
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 06:25:55 AM »

LINCOLN vibes for DR BEN.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 06:27:15 AM »

I enjoy many operas.....especially Puccini - Madame Butterfly......

My favorite contemporary opera is DOCTOR ATOMIC by John Adams which is available on Blu-Ray and which I cannot recommend highly enough.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 06:28:19 AM »

Thanks to you all for the raise in my SS check this month, an extra $13 which is very nice....a quarter of a tank of gasoline.

DR VIXMOM be careful out there!

DR DOUG R - thanks for the snow picture.....I like seeing snow in photos instead of out my front door!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 06:32:17 AM »

HA! I just bought a copy of Robert Ward's THE CRUCIBLE on LP.....records are MINT but the cover is worn....

DR CHAS SMITH I am sure there will be another set available soon.

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 06:38:51 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  This is our 5th day home and I'm still sick.  I'd really like to re-enter the human race...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 06:47:46 AM »

HA! I just bought a copy of Robert Ward's THE CRUCIBLE on LP.....records are MINT but the cover is worn....

DR CHAS SMITH I am sure there will be another set available soon.

Thank you, DR Jrand62.  We have one used record store here, and I think I'll drop in today for my two- or three-times-yearly look around.  I don't seek out much vinyl these days, so it'll be nice to have something in mind when walking into these places.

ChasSmith

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 06:47:53 AM »

Depending on which websites I consult, we're anywhere from 10 to 16 degrees right now, and going back down to 0 to 7 degrees these next couple of nights.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up