Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MAGIC TO DO  (Read 17279 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: MAGIC TO DO
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 05:58:47 AM »

Good morning, all! Last night was a truly terrible one: I finished the DOWNTON ABBEY disc around 10:30, could not settle or make myself comfortable, had to listen to the noisy neighbor above me arrive 15 minutes later and it was after midnight before I passed out. I then slept poorly all night.  I'm trying to avoid the sleeping pills, and I should have taken one.

Wow! King Richard III's body has been discovered and identified through DNA. That's truly neat.

DR cillaliz, I really have no advice about "Once" but I woul think that on a Thursday (?) night in the slow period after Christmas that a single seat might be available.

DR JohnG, I did not open the email that was sent under your name to the Cast Recording List; I never open emails that are only a link; I am not that curious.

I disliked the Kubrick film, liked the book a lot (thank you, DR Ginny!), and I enjoyed the episode.

I'm off to Toyland!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 05:59:16 AM »

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 06:00:10 AM »

I ate something so good last night. Nachos with spicy cheese melted. And pulled pork on it. And guac and sour cream.

Ben

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 06:00:43 AM »

Yes, it's quite amazing to have found Richard III!!!

Ben

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 06:02:43 AM »

Late career Frank Sinatra makes me cringe. I think he was quite wonderful for a long time but he should have stopped before he made things like the Duets album. I think this album is DREADFUL!!!

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 06:16:53 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Same old same old...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 06:17:45 AM »

I agree with DR Ben that, yes, The Vixter would enjoy ONCE.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 06:55:07 AM »

TOD:

TWELVE ANGRY MEN
FAIL-SAFE
ON GOLDEN POND
A BIG HAND FOR A LITTLE LADY
THE GRAPES OF WRATH
THE TIN STAR
WARLOCK
You can dream…or you can do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 08:01:48 AM »

My friends Jim & Chuck saw ONCE last week and enjoyed it very much.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 08:09:50 AM »

DR CILLA LIZ - I LOVE the Museum of the City of New York and 103rd & 5th.....it looks like they have an exhibition right now about the World's Fair of 1939......and they have lots of neat stuff to see.  Nice if you're not all about ART museums....

http://www.mcny.org/visit-the-museum/

And since you're going up 5th Avenue anyway.....you might as well stop by the Guggenheim....which is MY favorite Art Museum in the city.

They have  Kandinsky and  Frank Lloyd Wright Usonian House exhibits open right now....and a Gutai exhibit opens on February 15 that sounds great....

http://www.guggenheim.org/

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 08:49:37 AM »

Catching up on too many emails at work. But that's a good thing.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2013, 10:06:57 AM »

I'm up and have been up since eight-thirty.  I've killed another twenty of these suckers.  they seem to come in waves - none during the evening hours at all.  I've written about ten e-mails to the business manager, scheduled an appointment for an inspection tomorrow with an orange spray company, and asked the business manager to schedule an appointment with a regular termite company.  If I haven't heard from the business manager by eleven, I'll just get him on the phone.

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2013, 10:38:34 AM »

BK, are you sure you are not in a 1970s Bert I Gordon film right now?

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 10:41:02 AM »

It would appear that I missed a couple of birthdays.....so....

A very happy birthday to a very happy DR Ben!! Hope it was a swell day!

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2013, 10:42:25 AM »

And a very happy belated birthday to DR Dear Lurker Iris

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2013, 10:44:12 AM »

And the word of the day is: EURYTOPIC!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2013, 10:44:46 AM »

And lastly, but not leastly, a happy birthday (late) to DR Edisaurus!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2013, 11:04:36 AM »

TOD:

Young Mr. Lincoln
Grapes of Wrath
The Lady Eve
War and Peace
The Wrong Man
12 Angry Men
The Best Man
Spencer's Mountain
Once Upon A Time in the West
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Doug R

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2013, 11:06:32 AM »

DR DougR can you give the amazon buyer a bad rating because he is an idiot. Or had you already rated him?Or can you at least put an explanation under his rating.

Jennifer - Only buyers can give a feedback rating. Sellers can comment on a rating - which is what I did.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2013, 11:15:58 AM »

Love the pressure cooker card, MBarnum.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2013, 11:40:29 AM »

TOD:

Spawn of the North
Jezebel
Drums Along the Mohawk
Grapes of Wrath
The Lady Eve
Ox-Bow Incident
Mister Roberts
Once Upon A Time In The West

Cillaliz

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2013, 11:42:45 AM »

I loved Drood. I saw it a couple of months ago and it's it's extremely well done. It's great fun.

Priscilla, I think you should be able to get a ticket for Once the day of the show. It's doing well but in the Winter doldrums there should be tickets available. Elmore and I agree, this is a moving, beautiful and all around gorgeous show. I love it.

Yes, Vix, I think Vixter would enjoy Once.

Great! That is the one show I had been thinking about.   I loved the movie and the cast recording.  I'm assuming I'll get there Thursday noon, but American has cancelled flights many times between Sioux City and Chicago so I'm not going to make any definite plans until I'm on my way.   

Cillaliz

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2013, 11:44:58 AM »

DR CILLA LIZ - I LOVE the Museum of the City of New York and 103rd & 5th.....it looks like they have an exhibition right now about the World's Fair of 1939......and they have lots of neat stuff to see.  Nice if you're not all about ART museums....

http://www.mcny.org/visit-the-museum/

And since you're going up 5th Avenue anyway.....you might as well stop by the Guggenheim....which is MY favorite Art Museum in the city.

They have  Kandinsky and  Frank Lloyd Wright Usonian House exhibits open right now....and a Gutai exhibit opens on February 15 that sounds great....

http://www.guggenheim.org/

Wow thanks!   I think I'd like both of those.   

Cillaliz

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2013, 11:48:50 AM »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944650317/an-abominable-crime-violence-and-homophobia-in-jam

This is a link to a Kickstarter to raise money for a documentary about the violence against gays in Jamaica.  I don't know the film maker and don't know that much about Jamaica, but I have represented several individuals from countries where being openly gay can lead to being killed.    Luckily, I have been able to get asylum granted for the individuals I've represented, but it's not that easy to do. 

It's really sad and something that I think more people need to know about.  Like I said I don't know this guy and it doesn't make any difference to me if people support his project, but I did and thought there may be some people here who would be interested in knowing about it.

Ginny

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2013, 11:58:55 AM »

Here comes the snow...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2013, 12:23:25 PM »

As promised, here's a little advance notice for the new Kritzerland release, which I'm expecting to sell out somewhat quickly because of the iconic nature of the film itself, the theme, and the concurrent release of the film on Blu and Ray.  It goes live at Kritzerland in the morning, but for those who want to get the order in before that - it's 23.73 (shipping included) via paypal directly to kritzerland at adelphia dot net.

Kritzerland is proud to present a new limited edition soundtrack release to one of the most beloved classics ever:

LAURA

Music Composed by David Raksin

Laura—both the 1944 film and the immortal David Raksin score that supports and, in the opinion of some, lends it classic status—is the ultimate in noir-ish Hollywood glamour:  a dark masterpiece that somehow transcended all the difficulties strewn along its path to production to become one of the great exemplars of the accidental artistry of a largely commercial studio system.  With a brilliant cast, including Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney, Clifton Webb, Vincent Price, and Judith Anderson, and sublime direction by Otto Preminger, Laura, based on the novel by Vera Caspary, is as iconic a film noir as there ever was.  The film is filled with classic bon mots, most of them coming from Clifton Webb as the acerbic Waldo Lydecker.  “I should be sincerely sorry to see my neighbor’s children devoured by wolves,” or “I don’t use a pen, I write with a goose quill dipped in venom,” or “I cannot stand these morons any longer.  If you don’t come with me this instant I shall run amok.”

The film, which runs a brisk eighty-eight minutes, was nominated for four Academy Awards – Clifton Webb received a Best Supporting Actor nomination and the others were for screenplay, director, art direction, and photography.  It took home the prize for Joseph LaShelle’s velvety beautiful black-and-white photography.  But what becomes a legend most?  In the case of Laura it is clearly one of the greatest movie themes ever written.  Laura was David Raksin’s first major composing assignment and he delivered the goods, with a breathtakingly beautiful monothematic score that fits Laura like a glove.  Shockingly, there were twenty best score nominations in 1944 and Laura was not one of them.  But the theme and the score have endured and grown even more popular over the years.  Many singers have recorded the song (with its lyric by the great Johnny Mercer), and there have been an equal number of instrumental and jazz covers – in fact, during Raksin’s lifetime it was said to be the second most recorded song in history. 

In tandem with the film’s release on Blu-ray, we are thrilled to present for the first time on CD, the complete score for Laura.  The previous CD release on Arista, which has been out of print for many years, was missing about ten minutes of cues.  Additionally, what was presented was compiled into a twenty-seven minute suite with no track breaks – one long track.  That release was taken from a reel-to-reel tape, but for this complete release the original elements were used.  Additionally, we include as a bonus some test demos and the entire suite from the previous release.   In total, eighteen tracks of prime David Raksin, and a score that truly stands the test of time.

Laura – a movie and musical masterpiece. 

Laura is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping.

CD will ship the second week of March but preorders placed at Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks early (we’ve been averaging four weeks).  To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2013, 12:47:44 PM »

Toyland was a busy place today and I never got a moment to myself. Curtis was there, and we ran through the current status of ROBERTA scores, I proofread "Youre Devastating" and dealt with some dialogue over music in the ladies' trio arrangement of "The Touch of Your Hand."

It was the bus ride from hell getting home; too many nannies, moommies and schoolkids. My theory of child care? Kids in comas cause no problems.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2013, 01:13:49 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2013, 01:21:47 PM »

"Laura" isn't up at Kritzerland yet.   Will this be active tomorrow?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2013, 01:22:35 PM »

Toyland was a busy place today and I never got a moment to myself. Curtis was there, and we ran through the current status of ROBERTA scores, I proofread "Youre Devastating" and dealt with some dialogue over music in the ladies' trio arrangement of "The Touch of Your Hand."

It was the bus ride from hell getting home; too many nannies, moommies and schoolkids. My theory of child care? Kids in comas cause no problems.

I think it's actually the moommies that cause all the problems.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up