Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SCARCITY OF THE ONION BAGEL  (Read 18276 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE SCARCITY OF THE ONION BAGEL
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 08:12:22 AM »

Page 2?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 08:12:52 AM »

!!  Page 2 !!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2013, 08:35:55 AM »

TOD:

I have not had that much experience with bagals, so I likely don't know a good one from a bad one. I do like the ones with fruit in them, but a plain bagel with strawberry creamcheese is usually good

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2013, 08:38:57 AM »

Even a bad John Gavin is good.

and wow, I love this photo!

MBarnum

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2013, 08:40:25 AM »

Which reminds me that I need to finish up watching the John Gavin series DVD set of his show DESTRY.

It is AN entertaining series, but it was trying way too hard to be another MAVERICK.

Doug R

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2013, 08:47:50 AM »

I’ve been watching James Cagney’s A LION IS IN THE STREETS on TV. I had never seen this film before but I couldn’t believe how bad it is. I usually always like James Cagney but in this, his character is intensely irritating and Cagney overacts like mad. There are so many ridiculous scenes from Barbara Hale’s ludicrous fight with a crocodile to the court scene when Cagney continues to defend a man of murder, despite the man having died in the court after having been shot. It’s all so overwrought and unbelievable. Made by Cagney’s production company, it’s a good example of how stars were often better off sticking to the studio system!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2013, 09:30:31 AM »

And the word of the day is: YARE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  SAIL AWAY

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2013, 09:50:26 AM »

And the word of the day is: YARE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  SAIL AWAY

The word "Yare" always makes me think of "The Philadelphia Story."

Tracy: She was yare alright. I wasn't, was I?
Dexter: Not very. Oh, you were good at the bright work, though.
Tracy: I made her shine.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2013, 09:50:58 AM »

Tuesday afternoon greetings!  I had to go for a blood test this morning, plus several errands, so didn't even turn on the computer until now.  Could have made more stops, but it's cold and rainy here and I decided to come home.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2013, 09:54:19 AM »

TOD - When I worked in downtown Dayton we often went to a muffin & bagel shop for lunch.  My favorites were the sesame seed bagel with chicken salad and the sun-dried tomato bagel with veggies and low-fat cream cheese.  The most unusual bagel I've ever eaten was in Ann Arbor, MI.  It was a cinnamon bagel, deep fried and coated with sugar, called a Fragel.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »

I'm awake and accomplishing.  That's all I got

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2013, 10:30:04 AM »

I'm up, I'm up after a good night's sleep.  I'm still somewhat congested even though I've been better for a week now.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2013, 10:38:06 AM »

From DR MBarnum:
I read today that the family of the deceased have to campaign to have the person included, which seems highly ridiculous....and sad

???

Jane

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2013, 10:40:28 AM »

From DR TCB:
The Academy also published a web gallery honoring 114 of the people who died last year.

http://oscar.go.com/photos/85th/show/in-memoriam-2012/media/norman-alden

It is probably just me but this was giving me a headache to look at.  It is kind of dark and the photo changes were too slow & bothered my eyes.

Jane

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2013, 10:42:29 AM »

From DR John G:
Jane, I have discovered that one of the restaurants in town carries both custard pie and buttermilk pie.

I will be right over for the custard pie.

Jane

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2013, 10:45:27 AM »

I think I usually like a sesame seed or poppy seed bagel.

The power bagels (with nuts, cranberries and raisins) at Einstein's are pretty good, but I doubt that they qualify as actual bagels.

I'm not sure if any Einstein's bagels qualify as actual bagels. ;)

John G.

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2013, 10:45:37 AM »

From DR John G:
Jane, I have discovered that one of the restaurants in town carries both custard pie and buttermilk pie.

I've been doing research on this topic and may have to make one this weekend. I have a trusted pie cookbook from Susan Purdy called "The Perfect Pie," in which she recommends baking the crust and the filling separately for the most part because the crust needs a higher temperature to bake than the filling. You then "slip-slide," as she calls it, the filling into the crust and then finish them off together. Never heard of anything like. She swears it's easy.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2013, 10:48:36 AM »

I love THE BIG COUNTRY....mentioned by DR JANE yesterday.  It's one of my favorite Carroll Baker performances.

Carroll Baker has said that shortly after she signed for the movie, she discovered she was pregnant.  She had a meeting with Wyler, who had a meeting with United Artists, and they decided to go ahead since they would be finished with the film before she was "showing."

However delays.....they had started filming without having an ending to the story....kept cropping up.  By the time of the filming of the party scene, a special "concealing" dress had to be made for Carroll......  And she kind of just disappears from the story without much of a resolution.....

I'm not sure what resolution there could have been unless she ended up with Heston.  I pictured her sad and alone.

They did a fine job with her "concealing" dress.  I noticed she wore something more flowing but didn't pick up on the pregnancy.

Jane

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2013, 10:50:31 AM »

I like poppy seed bagels.

re: the onion bagels are they brown with onions. That is how they make them here.

I wasn't sure if you meant that or more like the onion rolls we get here (which are white with dark onions on them). I like both.

We also have onion rolls.  I don't recall seeing a brown onion bagel.  Most are whitish with onion on top.  Keith is very happy when he can find them made with the onions all the way through the bagel.

ChasSmith

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2013, 10:51:14 AM »

Direct from Criterion: 

24-hour 50% off sale till noon EST tomorrow.  Use code FLASHY on checkout.

http://goo.gl/OMjlG

EDIT:  ON THE WATERFRONT Blu-ray just sold out!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:58:07 AM by ChasSmith »

Jane

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2013, 10:51:59 AM »

TOD - When I worked in downtown Dayton we often went to a muffin & bagel shop for lunch.  My favorites were the sesame seed bagel with chicken salad and the sun-dried tomato bagel with veggies and low-fat cream cheese.  The most unusual bagel I've ever eaten was in Ann Arbor, MI.  It was a cinnamon bagel, deep fried and coated with sugar, called a Fragel.

The only place I've had fried bagels was in Michigan. 

Jane

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2013, 10:52:49 AM »

From DR John G:

I've been doing research on this topic and may have to make one this weekend. I have a trusted pie cookbook from Susan Purdy called "The Perfect Pie," in which she recommends baking the crust and the filling separately for the most part because the crust needs a higher temperature to bake than the filling. You then "slip-slide," as she calls it, the filling into the crust and then finish them off together. Never heard of anything like. She swears it's easy.

Sounds interesting.  I've heard of doing this and never tried it.

Jane

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2013, 10:53:44 AM »

The best rye bagel I've had was a place in Pennsylvania.  I had to drive very far just to get bagels.

Jane

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2013, 10:57:47 AM »

Overall the best bagel places were in Michigan.
New York bagels make excellent rye bagels but my favorite were the great egg bagels. http://newyorkbagel-detroit.com/newyorkbagel-detroit_storeinfo.htm

There was another bagel place that sadly closed down.  While I'm not a fan of everything bagels I thought their everything egg" bagels were great.  They made extra big bagels & I would first toast the top have with the "everything" on it & the next day toast the bottom egg half.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2013, 11:00:56 AM »

LOL DR JANE - that was probably the best fate for her character....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2013, 11:12:43 AM »

;D

John G.

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2013, 11:19:25 AM »

From DR John G:

Sounds interesting.  I've heard of doing this and never tried it.
As soon as I get the recipe typed up, I'll send it on.
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2013, 12:06:55 PM »

I like poppy seed bagels.

re: the onion bagels are they brown with onions. That is how they make them here.

I wasn't sure if you meant that or more like the onion rolls we get here (which are white with dark onions on them). I like both.

We also have onion rolls.  I don't recall seeing a brown onion bagel.  Most are whitish with onion on top.  Keith is very happy when he can find them made with the onions all the way through the bagel.

Here onion bagels are dark brown (like pumpernickel bread) with brown onions on top. I have these quite often.

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2013, 12:18:04 PM »

Sorry i am having trouble putting up the picture. But do most people's bagels look like the NY ones? I don't know if i've ever eaten a bagel that doughy. Ours look exactly like the picture of the Montreal ones.

http://honestcooking.com/2011/07/12/new-york-versus-montreal-bagels/

ChasSmith

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2013, 12:34:19 PM »

Mercy post.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up