Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MEDIUM IS THE MASSAGE  (Read 20767 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE MEDIUM IS THE MASSAGE
« on: July 31, 2004, 12:00:05 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know the medium is the notes, and now it is time for the medium to be the posts, so let's all have a posting frenzy, by gum and by golly and buy bonds, and let's post until the medium cows come home.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 12:05:39 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE MEDIUM IS THE MASSAGE
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 12:26:44 AM »

Good Evening!  Good Morning!

Well.. I'm pretty sure I know what musical DR Noel saw tonight... and since it was in his top three worst Broadway musicals, I could almost hazard a guess at what his other two were - well, maybe at least one of the two, or something like that - ???

As BK mentioned, we had a good rehearsal tonight.  And I'm also starting to get comfortable with the order of the show, and finding what "tricks" I have to use in order transition myself from one song to the next - from one mood to the next.  -Just so that I'm not surprised when I turn the page. ;)

As for self-help stuff... I think the closest thing I've used/read was "The Four Agreements".  Very simple, very thought-provoking.

Otherwise, I've bought copies of "The Soul's Code" and "The Artist's Way", but I haven't read them.

Well, I need to get ready for bed... Rehearsal in about nine hours.  Hmmm.. Maybe I'll bring some PIE!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 12:29:20 AM »

I'm sitting here totally blanking (and blinking) and can think of nothing to say. I know quite a bit about the TOD, but will save that until the morn when I'm not blanking and blinking.

Panni

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 12:30:23 AM »

PIE!

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 12:33:05 AM »

I know nothing about today's topic. I doubt very many people (other than the speaker) end up making money after these sessions. Maybe I just am too happy to bother looking for something in the way of "self help" to riches or whatever is offered.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 12:33:50 AM »

Maybe Jose will bring PIE!  Coconut Custard with WHIPPED CREAM.  EXTRA whipped cream.  Might I just ask why the cream is always being whipped?  Is it into S&M?  Is the cream misbehavin'?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 12:34:44 AM »

I am fascinated by today's topic and look forward to your posts on same.  I'm going to go whip the cream now, just because the cream seems to be so into it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 12:36:06 AM »

Where have all the WUSSBURGERS gone?  Remember the glory days when Laura II and Jenny and all our younguns wuz around these here parts.  They have forsaken us, I tell you.  Maya, too.  What is WITH these younguns, anyway?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2004, 12:36:15 AM »

I am my own frenzy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2004, 01:48:04 AM »

Well.....just remember Mr Director - they are NOT changes, they are IMPROVEMENTS!!!  Always makes my cast feel better when I tell them that, especially if I have a list of improvements!  And get a good sound engineer, stage mikes and overheads....watch out for dead spots!!

Brief nudity?  There is NO pause button on Broadway?

Self help?  Well, hmmmmmmmm.....I have seen a few on television.  I have never been to a LIVE presentation.  Oh, wait, yes I have....one.

For some reason, the School for the Deaf sent me to a Zig Ziglar seminar.  It was exactly what you would think.

The main reason for the success of these "gurus" I think, is the general desperation of some to depend on others to tell them what to do, or to tell them what is wrong.   They generally use platitudes and common knowledge things and present them in such a way that the audience convinces itself that it is hearing something new and radical and useful!

Be yourself!  Don't let others take advantage of you!  Live up to your potential!

The meetings are run like an old fashioned revival meeting, and these gurus present themselves in a way like religious leaders.  

Most of them are scary looking!  ZZ gets $60,000 + expenses to give your keynote speech!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 01:51:55 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004, 02:39:57 AM »

I always thought the people who have all the answers to everything in life, particularly the reasons why you aren't the person you should be, were called "in-laws."

But that's another story, never mind, anyways...

:-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2004, 02:52:47 AM »

I have no clues as to what is going on with most of our young'uns, but der Brucer is still in contact with Jenny.  And I know Noel is in contact with her, as well.

As for pies, we have lots of equipment for pie-making at the store.  We have pie tins.  We have tart tins.  We have weights, which help with blind-baking a pie shell.  (Blind baking is when you pre-cook the pie shell in the pan before adding the filling.  It's easy enough to fill the shell with rice or beans, but we have specially made ceramic weights that do the same thing.  The idea is to keep the pie crust from expanding too much and flaking away.)  We also have shields that can help keep the edge of the crust from burning, handy to have around.

And a gizmo that I didn't know existed, but some of our customers swear by it, is a circular plastic envelope that is sealed with a zipper.  After lightly flouring the inside of the envelope, the cook puts the dough inside the envelope, seals it, and then rolls the dough out to the edges of the envelope.  A perfectly sized pie crust every time!

Me, I don't see myself needing that sort of gadget for some time.  I'd rather roll the dough out on a flat surface, and then cut the crust to size after I've put it in the pie pan, the way my mother used to do it.  She'd lift the pan up, and cut the dough away from the pan with a sharp knife.  Then, pretty blue birds would come and whisk the excess dough away, just like in the cartoons!

What, you thought they made that stuff up?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2004, 05:13:58 AM »

I bought a pumpkin pie at the Kroger store this morning.  I think it will be very good this afternoon with vanilla ice cream.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2004, 06:21:39 AM »

Far be it from me to tell anyone how to live his life, but I believe in self-help, not especially in the folks who peddle advice for a fee. I am mistrustful of them.

I know in my own life, when I needed to lose weight, I got down to business and lost it. When I needed to improve my grades in college after the first semester of sophomore slump, I buckled down and did it. I think most of us have an infinite capacity to do anything with ourselves that we wish. In my own case, I haven't needed anyone pointing a finger to show me a way to do it. I've always been able to figure it out for myself.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2004, 06:24:01 AM »

Well, I'm assuming Noel wanted us to guess about his bad Broadway experience, so I'll hazard a guess: BOMBAY DREAMS? No? THE FROGS? Probably.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2004, 06:45:57 AM »

I was hesitating since I don't much about what is on RIGHT NOW....so I will concur with MATTH's guesses....and wait.

Ben

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2004, 07:04:16 AM »

Unless they have added something to The Frogs, it's not that show. No nudity in Frogs. I'm assuming it's Dracula. They had the first performance last night.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2004, 07:10:47 AM »

TOD:  I have no use for motivational speakers.  I know Tony Robbins gets paid big bucks to address groups and use his oratory to enervate crowds, but I am one of those people who sit there, perplexed -- like so much fish -- always wondering why the lemmings don't understand that there's no water in which to swim upstream here...that they are swimming really hard but will never get to a destination because no destination is EVER being provided.

Motivators don't ever tell you HOW to do anything...they make you want to attain goals and leave you to your own wits on how to go about it.

I already know that.

Have known since I was in my teens.

There is, of course, a place in this world for motivational speakers.  Some are harmless.

And then you get your occasional Hitler.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 07:16:19 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2004, 07:36:56 AM »

Ah, DR Ben, DRACULA it must be, knowing his non-allegiance to Frank Wildhorn. Thanks.

Panni

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2004, 08:10:30 AM »

It's sort of cool and overcast in the City of Studio this morning. A pleasant change.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2004, 08:20:31 AM »

We've had rain the last three days, so we're going to be a steam bath today. I felt it coming on this morning as I fiercely mowed the front yard in anticipation of the coming swelter.

Panni

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2004, 08:22:29 AM »

There's going to be a BLUE MOON tonight! Should be lovely.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2004, 08:23:02 AM »

Looks like I'll be finishing the Charlie Chan MEETING AT MIDNIGHT today (got interrupted by THE JURY and MONK last night before I could finish) and then on to THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2004, 08:24:25 AM »

I'll be E&T for a good chunk of this evening. The theater where I did TITANIC last fall is having an awards ceremony tonight honoring their volunteers, and I'll be attending. Should be fun to see lots of familiar faces.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2004, 08:37:56 AM »

Dear Jenny and I have been in contact as well - she's got Noel taking up lots of her time, and she has really limited computer access time - hopefully when school starts back up she'll find time to rejoin our merry troupe.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2004, 08:44:27 AM »

So called self help gurus prey on innocent people.  God helps those who help themselves.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2004, 08:50:45 AM »

If you enjoy hearing American Musical Theatre/the Great American Songbook/Showtunes sung by the great artists of the operatic stage, this morning is for you!

One of our local public radio stations has a regular Saturday morning show devoted to opera, and once a year they air a show called "Anything You Can Do."  Today's the day!

If past shows are any indicator, there will be some sublime recordings, some very good ones, and, yes, several ludicrous ones thrown in for a little ginger.

The program runs 9:00 am to noon PDT and can be heard online at www.kusc.org.  (For the denizens of Lalaland, it's 91.5 on your FM dial.)

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 08:57:35 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2004, 08:55:36 AM »

Did you know that studios sometimes hire "motivational" people to counsel their employees and help them obtain their potential?  Lots of actors here in LA go to motivational helpers, too, as well as some writers and directors.  What do you think of that?  It's not just the financial people like Tony Robbins and that young (no longer) dork who used to have infomercials running every ten minutes around ten years ago, it's a whole cottage industry now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2004, 08:56:05 AM »

I'm tired this morning, but I did get almost eight hours of sleep, so that's good.

Panni

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2004, 09:13:50 AM »

I know the world of motivational speaking fairly well through a person I knew who was a motivational speaker (although he hated the term). It is a very strange world filled with very strange people. But it really is an industry. There are literally thousands of motivational speakers out there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up