Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MEDIUM IS THE MASSAGE  (Read 20725 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE MEDIUM IS THE MASSAGE
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2004, 09:20:09 AM »

And one for Mars muffins!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2004, 09:23:47 AM »

To the Zig Ziglars and Tony Robbinses and Susan Powters (Stop the madness!) of the world, I say feh!  They are bombastic speakers who may offer some entertainment value, but they do not teach you anything.  They are good, however, at making you feel very, very, very (that is three verys) inferior.  The ones who promote get rich quick schemes are the worst of the lot.

There are a couple of "self-help" authors whose work I admire in which the focus is not on monetary gain but rather on positive human interaction and positive thought and living.  They also address the "how" in addition to the "what."

Dale Carnegie, essentially elaborating on The Golden Rule, wrote "How to Win Friends and Influence People," which provides some basic tenets of communication that, if everyone practiced them, would make for a more harmonious world.

Stephen Covey's "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" has also influenced me, particularly its notion of starting with the end in mind.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 09:27:03 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2004, 10:27:37 AM »

I saw The Frogs about two decades ago, and there's that flatulent punchline in the opening number as well as a waltz with words by Shakespeare.

The show I saw last night had not a whit of wit, and no poetry to its lyrics.  Thames was rhymed with requiems.

But I don't think Jose could guess the two Broadway shows I found more offensive.  One was a so-called "new" Broadway musical that had a score made up of old standards.  I'd never seen a show like that before, and the mere idea of it horrified me.  Since that unhappy night, we've had dozens of so-called "new" musicals made up of old scores (Mamma Mia, Smokey Joe's Cafe, Urban Cowboy) and while I still find this horrifying, nothing has topped my antipathy for the first example I saw.  I remember the set had a big, working clock, and I kept staring at it, wondering if some technician was actually slowing down its movement.

The other nadir was a Eurotrash hit that ran for many years and offended me to the core.  A lot of people liked it, and they sometimes try to convince me that I misinterpreted what I was seeing.  I saw suicide being glorified as a noble sacrifice a parent can make for a child.  Two of my best friends lost their mothers to suicide when they were young, and so they show gets stuck in my craw.  Ew, I've disgusted myself with my own metaphor.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2004, 10:57:03 AM »

Ok, Noel... I think we could figure out the last musical you mentioned, and probably the one you saw last night.  But the second one mentioned is very vague.  Any more hints?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2004, 11:06:08 AM »

I've never gone to a "self-help guru" a la Tony Robbins, Susan Powter or anyone...and I don't intend to.  I will admit that I've stopped and watched some of Tony Robbins' info-mercials mainly because, well, I think he's nice to look at. ;)  As to what he's saying or trying to sell, I have no clew atoll.

Nor do I have a clew as to which shows Noel is referring.  Please enlighten me.  I'm a dim bulb (at times). ;D I would not, however, lump Smokey Joe's Cafe in with shows like Mamma Mia or Urban Cowboy.  Those last two shows are book shows with music from other sources, but Smokey Joe's Cafe is a tribute revue to Leiber and Stoller and it's not supposed to have any kind of plot or story.  It's just an evening of their songs presented on stage.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2004, 11:26:19 AM »

I have never paid much attention to the self-help gurus, in fact I thought Susan Powter was an excercise guru...so what do I know!

I think I have a pretty free weekend this weekend so I might get some dvd watching done. I also have to make a few changes to my Kenny Miller interview and my William Reynolds interview...then maybe I can start on Frank Griffin and Van Williams! If I didn't procrastinate so much I would be all caught up with these!

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2004, 11:28:42 AM »

I was gonna guess Dracula when I read DR Noel's clue this morning.

Crazy For You and Les Mis?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2004, 12:12:23 PM »

I liked Susan Powter and thought she offered people a method of loosing weight, just like Richard Simmons has done.  For the most part I have found motivational speakers get you excited without giving any real answers, and the ones with answers are rather obvious.

Keith purchased the book “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff” expecting to be motivated and did exactly the opposite of the books message when he was upset he spent his money on the book. ;D

Sandra what is a futon/bunkbed?

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2004, 12:25:25 PM »

Once a year my high school would bring in a motivational speaker to try to get us to work harder in class. It was usually pretty boring, but there was this one Chinese guy who told funny stories about throwing spitballs on the school bus. I'm not sure what he was motivating us to do, but it got me out of math class.

Dear Reader Jane, a bunkbed/futon is a futon with a bunkbed on top. Or bunkbeds with a futon for the bottom bunk. However you want to look at it.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2004, 01:03:37 PM »

I just went to the video store and rented two movies, Chasing Liberty and The Butterfly Effect.  I was thinking about taking The Human Stain, with Anthony Hopkins and Nicole Kidman.  Anyone seen it?

It is raining here.   Has been raining all day.  Totally miserable out! :(

Jane

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2004, 01:10:14 PM »

Sandra, then the top bunk is a regular bed or does it fold out like a futon?

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2004, 01:14:35 PM »

The top bunk is a regular bunk. Only the bottom one is a futon.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jane

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2004, 01:34:08 PM »

Thank you.  Will you post a photo once you have organized your room? :)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2004, 01:36:50 PM »

I sure will, Jane.

Tomovoz

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2004, 02:15:02 PM »

I don't know the line of the song or the metre etc but Thames does rhyme with "Ems" anyway. It could work!
TOTD - do see the fascination.
I enjoyed the sequence in Series 2 of "Six Feet Under" where Ruth had enrolled in some such empowerment programme.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2004, 02:17:40 PM »

Here is a photo from DRPANNI's tv show TIGER CRUISE that was in the NY Post. ;D

« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 02:51:35 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2004, 02:22:18 PM »

I wrote one part of a trilogy that made up the movie MARTHA, RUTH AND EDIE. Three different stories of young women's lives. The way they bookeneded the stories was to show the women - now older - going to a women's empowerment seminar led by some obnoxious motivational guru. The women, strangers, walk out, meet up in the lobby and tell their stories to each other. The movie is not very good, so I forgot about it when the TOD came up - until I read Tom's comment about SIX FEET UNDER. Go figure.

Panni

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2004, 02:24:31 PM »

Thanks, Jrand. The article is really not worth reading! It's badly written (although positive about the movie) and is a total SPOILER, giving away the entire story.
The photo is very nice, though.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 02:25:14 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2004, 02:26:50 PM »

Jrand - How do you take a picture like that and post it here? I have no idea how one does that. (And was there a credit with the photo to include?)

BTW - That's Bill Pullman and Hayden Panettiere in the pic..
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 02:29:10 PM by Panni »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2004, 02:45:05 PM »

I mowed my mom's lawn today.  Not only was the heat and humidity unbearable, but I also got stung in the forehead by a bee.  Ouch!

TOD:  I was fairly well immersed in the whole recovery thing in the early 90s, so I came across a good deal of self-help gurus, both good and bad.  The unfortunate thing about the good ones was that once they had their initial say in their first book, they were immediately turned into cottage industries with workbooks, seminars, inspirational calendars, mugs and t-shirts.  Then, of course, they had to follow up with a second and third book which either simply restated what they had already put forth or went off in a different direction all together (Wayne Dyer is a prime example of this--the author of my favorite self-helper, M. Scott Peck, has also managed to squeeze a few more books out of his The Road Less Traveled.)  

A few years ago, I went through a box of self-help books I had accumulated through the years.  After examining them and evaluating what they still held for me, I found that there were only four books that I wanted to keep.  The rest I dropped off at the Goodwill.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2004, 02:50:14 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....there was no credit for the photographer, but there was a copyright notice....so I may take the photo down sooner or later.

Also took the article link away....since DRPANNI said it wasn't so hot!  She's right it wasn't!  :P
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 02:51:00 PM by JRand53 »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2004, 02:52:40 PM »

There's going to be a BLUE MOON tonight! Should be lovely.

A Blue Moon is the second full moon that occurs in the same month, which is very rare.  The moon isn't necessarily blue (depending on the tint of your eyeglasses).

I once read that a person should take the opportunity of the blue moon to do something that is out of the ordinary.  To eat that rare treat or to call someone they haven't talked to in a long time.  I'm trying to think of what I can do tonight.  Anyone have any plans?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2004, 02:57:48 PM »

DRPANNI if you right click on a photo you get a list, then you can "Save this photo as..." to your hard drive....then when you want to save it here you can click on the browse function, find the photo on your hard drive and when you click open on your browser window, the url is in the window.

I had to convert this photo though from a bitmap to a jpeg....because jpegs are the easiest to post here....bitmarks can't be posted.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2004, 02:58:39 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......what can I do?  Interesting DTM....never heard of that before, but it is intriguing.

Tomovoz

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2004, 03:06:38 PM »

It would seem the ideal time to play Mr David Campbell's version of "Once In A Blue Moon" from his "Yesterday Is Now" CD
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2004, 03:13:45 PM »

Thanks for the photo info, Jrand. And feel free to take down the photo if there are copyright problems.

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2004, 03:38:00 PM »

Jrand - How do you take a picture like that and post it here? I have no idea how one does that. (And was there a credit with the photo to include?)

BTW - That's Bill Pullman and Hayden Panettiere in the pic..

OMG, I didn't recognize that girl.  She used to be on the soap Guiding Light.  She is absolutely wonderful.

I always post pics like that by right clicking until properties comes up, then copying the address that comes up.  Then I think you click on the picture frame logo.  

I haven't done it in a while.

Jane

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2004, 03:39:26 PM »

Dan (the Man) I’m having cold mango soup tonight, not something I would choose on my own.  Once on a blue moon, the moon really did appear a light blue.  I got a big laugh out of that. :D

Pani I have the TV guide with the good review & the Friday night pick.  Disney also put in a full page add. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2004, 03:44:47 PM »

Yeah you right click on the pic, then the last item is "properties", you click on that and it will bring up the address.  You copy that, paste it here in "reply", then highlight it and click on the picture frame icon (5th on the left bottom).

And presto.  Picture.

Or you can save it to your computer. disk and post it that way.

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2004, 03:47:28 PM »

Just watched Chasing Liberty.   They were in Venice riding the gondolas.  Oh, how I'd love to do that!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up