Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WHEN THE FANCY STRIKES ME  (Read 15911 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: WHEN THE FANCY STRIKES ME
« Reply #150 on: June 22, 2013, 08:40:23 PM »

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 08:42:31 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #151 on: June 22, 2013, 08:41:11 PM »

I should buy the TV movie, COPACABANA.  I enjoyed it in a kind of campy way
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 08:42:59 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2013, 08:44:48 PM »

Chas, are you still awake?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #153 on: June 22, 2013, 08:51:33 PM »

I need to go check the moon.  I shall be right back.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #154 on: June 22, 2013, 08:57:44 PM »

There is a layer of clouds covering The Cascades, so I will need to wait about a half hour before I can really see the moon.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #155 on: June 22, 2013, 08:59:18 PM »

It was 78 degrees today, but they say it is supposed to cloud up tonight, and we may get some rain tomorrow night and into the first of the week.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2013, 09:01:16 PM »

The Taste of Tacoma starts next Friday and, at the moment, they are predicting temperatures in the mid-eighties for the entire weekend.  They lucked out for once.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2013, 09:02:46 PM »

Well, DR Chas has disappeared from the list at the top, so I guess he has gone to bed.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2013, 09:07:12 PM »

I spent almost the entire day going through videos on You Tube.  I was finding videos about the Titanic, the Britannic, and the Lusitania for my ex in Sun City.  He still considers the computer to be a two-headed monster, but he is getting better at it.  He does fine checking his e-mails, so I am sending him the addresses for clips that cover the topics about those ships that we were discussing last week on the phone.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #159 on: June 22, 2013, 09:17:34 PM »

Imagine that, I have even driven the Guests away!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #160 on: June 22, 2013, 09:23:36 PM »

BK, I just checked something that I should have thought of before.  Our avatar pictures are visible to any and all guests who visit this site.  On the previous board, only members could see our pictures.  Is it too late to change that?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #161 on: June 22, 2013, 09:24:39 PM »

Hey Cilla, I am glad you enjoyed Barry.  I would love to see him again.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #162 on: June 22, 2013, 09:31:59 PM »

I used to love going to concerts.  But even before this stupid wheelchair, it became such a hassle.  One thing is the price.  The other thing, at least for me, is that crowds really bother me now.  And with the wheelchair, crowds have become a bunch of assholes to me -- literally!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #163 on: June 22, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »

Well, I believe my work here is done.

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #164 on: June 22, 2013, 11:50:11 PM »

Tent raising vibes for DR GEORGE.

Thanks, Jack!  Well, today was a day.  I only slept for about four hours but I got to Sylvester Park on time.  We got the tent set up fairly quickly.  We didn't have it lined up exactly in the right place, but it was light enough that we just picked it up and moved it.  Anyway, I hung around the booth for a little while and when it got time for those who were going to walk in the parade to get up to the meeting place, I decided to go along and walk the parade with the PFLAG group.  We had a group of about eight or so and three people from the Tacoma PFLAG group had come down to walk with the Olympia chapter.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #165 on: June 22, 2013, 11:51:32 PM »

The worst part of the day was the hour that we had to just stand around and wait for the parade to start.  It was quite bright out, quite warm and there was no shade anywhere.  I put on sunscreen, but we'll see what I look like tomorrow.  Otherwise, the walk itself was fun!  It only took about 20 minutes.  There were people all along the route and they were quite supportive and cheering as everyone walked by.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #166 on: June 23, 2013, 12:03:06 AM »

After the walk, it was not quite 1:00, yet, I was going to just get in my car and go home, but I ran into several friends afterward.  My friend Jacqui (who was in the women's version of "Reservoir Dogs" asked if I was going to the reading of "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" at Olympia Family Theater's space.  I vaguely remember reading about it on Facebook, but didn't think about it.  With the Pride celebration and parade, I didn't think about doing anything else that day.  But I decided to go.  I walked all the way across town to the space (maybe about six blocks and there was no way I was going to move my car and try to find another parking space). 

George

« Reply #167 on: June 23, 2013, 12:04:42 AM »

When I went in, a few of the actors were there.  Carv, a friend of mine, basically adapted the radio play and/or book into a (potential) stage play and this was to just hear it.  No one was memorized and there was no blocking...it was a true "reading."  He was already there and said he was glad that I was there.  He asked if I could actually read a couple of the smaller roles at the end of the second act so that he wouldn't have to.  I said sure! 

George

« Reply #168 on: June 23, 2013, 12:05:42 AM »

So I sat in the audience (there were less than 50 seats total) for the first act and sat up with the rest of the actors for the second act.  It was pretty good.  There was nothing surprising about the script, but it was done well.  I knew all but one of the actors (Patrick, who played Zaphod Beeblebrox), but I knew who he was from all the shows that he's done at Capital Playhouse.  He was actually the best actor today.  He really "acted" the part.

George

« Reply #169 on: June 23, 2013, 12:06:15 AM »

Carv said that he'd contacted the estate of Douglas Adams to inquire about getting the rights to do a stage version.  We'll see what happens!

George

« Reply #170 on: June 23, 2013, 12:09:37 AM »

After the reading, I ran into my niece and we both didn't want to get back to the park until it was closer the official ending of the celebration...and we had to take down the tent, so we went to a local coffee shop (Batdorf & Bronson) and just sat in the air-conditioned place.  I had a bagel.  We sat and chatted for a while and left just in time to help pack up the tent that had been already taken down.  We timed that out just right. ;)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #171 on: June 23, 2013, 12:10:13 AM »

I really enjoyed Boeing Boeing - it was well done and I stayed awake the entire time.  Now, it's time for bed!

George

« Reply #172 on: June 23, 2013, 12:11:31 AM »

After that, I went to my sister's for a bit, then came home and took a unprepared nap.  I was just going to close my eyes for a bit, but I didn't wake up until a couple hours later.  I really needed the nap.  I've now caught up on all the posts, watched several "Sing For Your Supper" YouTube clips (I love that song!) and that was my day! :D

George

« Reply #173 on: June 23, 2013, 12:11:41 AM »

I opted not to swim today and worked out instead. 

I opted not to swim or work out today and ate vast quantities of food instead

You gotta do what you gotta do!

;)

George

« Reply #174 on: June 23, 2013, 12:14:21 AM »

I should buy the TV movie, COPACABANA.  I enjoyed it in a kind of campy way

I really like the London cast recording. 

George

« Reply #175 on: June 23, 2013, 12:18:05 AM »

Meant to say this earlier today:  I appreciated hearing how BK had been put off by the poster art (and subject matter) for HARD TIMES all these years.  I don't really recall being aware of the film back in the day, but I was definitely affected that way when the Twilight Time announcements came down the pike.  I had to keep going back to it to decide if it was something I'd definitely be interested in.  When the disc got here, I spot checked it (like I always do, even if I'm not intending to watch something right away) -- and right off the bat I knew I had a winner.

So what is it about that style of poster art?  It's a '70s thing, I think, that I can't quite define.  It reminds me of THE STING poster.  And this is often received as blasphemy so apologies in advance, but I never fully warmed up to that movie.

Anyhoo, just two cents.  Will watch HARD TIMES this week.  Probably Monday, as I usually only want to watch things seriously in the evening, it's too late now to start one, and I have another show tomorrow night (because of the outdoor venue, they don't do matinees).

That's what happened to me with the cast recording of the musical Wings.  I didn't like the cover art, and I remember seeing it in Tower Records every time I went (when there was a Tower Records to go to), when it first came out.  I kept picking it up and thinking about it and not buying the CD.  Then, for some reason, I decided to just buy it.  I figured it'll be one of those times that won't kill me if I spend money on something that I hate.  Well, I loved the recording from the first time that I heard it.  I thought that the story was very well told, the score was very good and I thought to myself, why the hell did I wait so long to buy this?  It's still one of my favorite cast recordings. :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 12:21:22 AM by George »

George

« Reply #176 on: June 23, 2013, 12:56:45 AM »

Well, the new notes are up, the new day of posts is available, and today is not locked!

TIME TO PAR-TAY!!

;D

George

« Reply #177 on: June 23, 2013, 12:58:26 AM »

Actually, I'm now going to bed.  I signed up to usher at the Washington Center for the Performing Arts.  Fortunately, the call time is 12:30 pm, NOT 8:00 am, like today.

George

« Reply #178 on: June 23, 2013, 12:59:33 AM »

So, good night all and have a great Sunday!

Better yet, have a sundae on Sunday!  If I remember, I think I will. :D
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up