Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES IN THE KEY OF Bb  (Read 13214 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: NOTES IN THE KEY OF Bb
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2013, 10:44:16 AM »

That's also the best word to describe DR Singdaw's thoughts when he sees a plate of fried chicken livers.

Perhaps.    ;D

But you should really see what happens when I encounter a pile o' melon balls!

As Gertie sings in the Cole Porter ditty, "Bertie and Gertie": Life is just a series of balls, balls, balls.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2013, 10:44:37 AM »

Three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2013, 10:57:35 AM »

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2013, 11:16:40 AM »

ASK BK

I mentioned this the other day but did not see a response.

Did Harvey Schmidt ever telephone you the other day like he said he was going to do?

I don't recall saying Harvey was going to call me -

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2013, 11:17:49 AM »

I'm up - was up at ten so I think I got nine hours of blessed sleep - another couple of nights like that and I'll be next to normal.  Not enough time to jog this morning, so that will have to happen in the late afternoon again.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2013, 11:22:38 AM »

Re that Yoko mash-up with Chorus Line:  :)

Odd that some of the YouTube comments seem to be taking it as if Yoko had actually done that to "Music and the Mirror."  Or am i reading that wrong?

Here's the original, which is weird and fascinating.  Note that MoMa didn't allow YouTube-user comments on it, but it got well over a million views

Yoko - the fascinating original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GMHl7bmlzw

and if you have a NY Times subscription, here's the Times' somewhat irreverent coverage
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/31/sing-along-with-yoko-ono/

Frightening.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2013, 11:25:38 AM »

Yoko sounds to me more like a contralto than a soprano. But whatever.      :)

She sounds more like a wackjob to me.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2013, 11:29:29 AM »

It is so hot.

yes, good news from DR ELMORE.

Not sure how I feel about the Peter Pan music debacle....exactly WHAT music is he talking about?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2013, 11:36:55 AM »

I think Yoko is a mezzanine soprano.

HAHAHAHA!! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2013, 11:46:35 AM »

The library here now has more than 300 reservations for "The Cuckoo's Calling" and 46 additional copies on order.

Our library has four copies (so far) with 25 on order and another 20 copies to be ordered (I just got the order about a half hour ago) and only 206 holds...so far.  However, the additional 20 copies yet to be ordered will be leased books.  We started leasing books at the beginning of this year, so we won't have to keep all of these copies when there is no more interest.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2013, 11:48:16 AM »

The vice-president of the India-US friendship organization that I recently volunteered with nominated me to become a board member. I thought that was very nice, although I am unsure what that means I have to do...other than attend meetings.

A very nice group of people, so I am sure it will be enjoyable.

Congratulations, Mike!  Just don't be the treasurer.  You actually have to keep track of money when you're the treasurer. :P

George

« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2013, 11:48:24 AM »

The good news is that it is a bruise and not a lesion. Dr Miller, whom I adore, thinks I will live a while longer.

Great news, Larry!! ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2013, 11:51:08 AM »

Hmmmm....looking at the news, why is having a photo of the Boston bombing suspect on the cover of Rolling Stones magazine creating such controversy? Hasn't this persons photo been on the cover of other magazines or newspapers already? It isn't like Rolling Stones is doing a story on what a nice guy he is or something...or are they?

Or is all the hand wringing just a pre-arranged publicity stunt to sell more copies?

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2013, 11:52:16 AM »

Oh no, I don't want to be treasurer or anything of that sort. I don't even balance my own bank account.

George

« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2013, 11:54:49 AM »

Oh no, I don't want to be treasurer or anything of that sort. I don't even balance my own bank account.

Sadly, I am the treasurer of two, count 'em TWO different non-profits.  WHAT WAS I THINKING??

;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2013, 12:12:10 PM »

Sadly, I am the treasurer of two, count 'em TWO different non-profits.  WHAT WAS I THINKING??

;)

You were thinking, "They like me! They really like me!"

I know that's how I get roped into doing things I wouldn't normally consider.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2013, 12:20:16 PM »

"They like me! They really like me!"

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2013, 12:39:51 PM »

Hmmmm....looking at the news, why is having a photo of the Boston bombing suspect on the cover of Rolling Stones magazine creating such controversy? Hasn't this persons photo been on the cover of other magazines or newspapers already? It isn't like Rolling Stones is doing a story on what a nice guy he is or something...or are they?

Or is all the hand wringing just a pre-arranged publicity stunt to sell more copies?

The problem for me is that this person is accused - and, unlike his mother, I believe he's guilty as sin - of a series of crimes including killing an office and setting off bombs, which killed and maimed several, at the Boston Marathon. The cover of ROLLING STONE is giving him some celebrity status, and I don't think it's appropriate; it's a bit of a slap in the face to his victims.  Let me ask you this, Mikey: do you think he'd be on the cover of ROLLING STONE if the the editor were a parent or relative of one of this man's victims?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2013, 12:42:41 PM »

I can't wait to hear you tell this India-US friendship group you blew their money on $1.00 DVDs at the Piggly Wiggly!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »

The problem for me is that this person is accused - and, unlike his mother, I believe he's guilty as sin - of a series of crimes including killing an office and setting off bombs, which killed and maimed several, at the Boston Marathon. The cover of ROLLING STONE is giving him some celebrity status, and I don't think it's appropriate; it's a bit of a slap in the face to his victims.  Let me ask you this, Mikey: do you think he'd be on the cover of ROLLING STONE if the the editor were a parent or relative of one of this man's victims?

Plus, it's the pretty boy photo. He's presented like Jim Morrison or some rock star. I don't know if this story goes into it or not, but I've read he has developed legions of women followers who want to marry him, even though he has been accused of committing these atrocities -- and this is largely because of photographs such as this one.

One of the former dance instructors at the Arthur Murray here was one of the people to lose a leg in the bombing. 

Thankfully, only people over 40 or 50 seem to read Rolling Stone any more.
― Voltaire

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2013, 12:50:14 PM »

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2013, 12:54:33 PM »

One of the former dance instructors at the Arthur Murray here was one of the people to lose a leg in the bombing. 

What a shame.

I agree with the sentiments expressed previously by both DRs elmore3003 and John G.

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2013, 01:11:58 PM »

I understand the he is a horrible person, but why don't people get upset when Newsweek or Time puts him or someone similar on the cover. Having someone on a cover does not make them a celebrity, it just means there is a story about that person in the magazine. Rolling Stone often does stories on people other than celebrities...or don't they? I don't read the magazine, but I just presumed it was a semi-news magazine.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2013, 01:41:53 PM »

Remember when The Temptations did Fiddler?       :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S4GniJYzGa8

John G.

« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2013, 01:53:43 PM »

I understand the he is a horrible person, but why don't people get upset when Newsweek or Time puts him or someone similar on the cover. Having someone on a cover does not make them a celebrity, it just means there is a story about that person in the magazine. Rolling Stone often does stories on people other than celebrities...or don't they? I don't read the magazine, but I just presumed it was a semi-news magazine.

I agree with you that there seems to be a double standard here. I don't know why and I do find it silly.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2013, 02:39:03 PM »

Back from a lovelier than lovely luncheon with Andrea Marcovicci and Shelly Markham.  I shall now do some writing and then do a jog.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2013, 03:02:40 PM »

ROLLING STONE usually has rock stars on its cover. I don't care that the story is how a poor immigrant becomes a terrorist; I care that the magazine cover turns him into a rock star. Publish him as he looked when they dragged him out of the boat covered in blood, not as some pretty young boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2013, 03:04:14 PM »

Or, as I asked earlier, would he be on the magazone cover if the editor of ROLLING STONE had lost family or friends in the Boston mayhem?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2013, 03:30:38 PM »

From DR Cilla:
I'm guessing that it wasn't her tree it was the neighbor's.  It doesn't hurt to have a lawyer assist her to make sure she gets what she should be getting from the insurance co.  Maybe she doesn't NEED one, but with everything that has happened I'm glad she has one

I expected this to be your response ;)   I hope her lawyer is good.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2013, 03:32:20 PM »

Page three?  Three pages?  Let's get off this damn page already. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up