Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PLANKS FOR THE MEMORIES  (Read 13549 times)

FJL

Re: PLANKS FOR THE MEMORIES
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2013, 09:38:56 AM »

Thanks, Chas!

FJL

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2013, 09:41:06 AM »

Beyonce's hair got caught in a fan onstage during a performance the other night.

It's on YouTube and she's OK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sTvRz1MxW0

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2013, 09:46:45 AM »

Beyonce's hair got caught in a fan onstage during a performance the other night.

Oh the humanity!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ChasSmith

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2013, 10:01:44 AM »

Oh the humanity!

:)   :D   ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2013, 10:02:34 AM »

I'm up, I'm up, after a very rough night of semi-sleep, thanks to this painful whatever on the lower right side of my mouth.  Dr. Chew x-rayed it - there's nothing wrong there that needs attention now (but will later) but there's what he calls a deep pocket there and he thinks it's just a little bacterial infection - he really picked at that area in a very painful way yesterday then put some anti-bacterial whatever in the deep pocket and just said not to chew anything too hard on that side for a day or two.  It was fine until the middle of the night, and then suddenly I guess all that picking he'd done resulted in some really intense pain, so I slept in fits and starts and also starts and fits.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2013, 10:30:58 AM »

Time for a little LANAP procedure?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 11:18:57 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Doug R

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2013, 11:20:16 AM »

TOD

I saw a young Ian McKellen as HAMLET in a very successful production in Nottingham in the early '70s.

However my favorite Shakespearean production was, of course, my own ;D. A modern dress version of LOVE'S LABOUR'S LOST in Sheffield also in the early '70s in which I played The King (left)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2013, 11:21:36 AM »

DR Laura, what is "All Shook UP"? And what play is it based on?

All Shook Up is a modern rock version of Twelfth Night w/music inspired by Elvis Presley. Cheyenne Jackson played Chad (his first Broadway lead). It was during the 2004/2005 Broadway season. Joe DiPietro wrote the book and Christopher Ashley directed the show.

I enjoyed it. Was it great theatre? No, but it was fun and had a good cast. I doubt it will ever be done in NY again but it has life outside the city.
They just staged it here to sellout crowds. Sadly, I missed it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2013, 11:28:17 AM »

I saw it here in LA and wished I'd missed it :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2013, 11:56:58 AM »

TOD:
 a brilliant COMEDY OF ERRORS starring The Flying Karamazov Brothers (a juggling troupe, believe it or not), another beautiful, imaginative RSC MIDSUMMER starring Alec Jennings and Lindsay Duncan as Oberon and Titiania;

I saw the Flying Karamazov Brothers production of THE COMEDY OF ERRORS at Lincoln Center and had totally forgotten about it. My  friend Karla Burns (Olivier Award winner for SHOW BOAT, as I recall) played Luce. The live performance was  amazing. I saw that MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM with Jennings and Duncan on Broadway; my friend Finbar (Barry) Lynch was the Puck. The DVD version adds that child at the beginning.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:06:20 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2013, 12:05:36 PM »

I am back from the NYPL and quite informed about ROBERTA. The card catalogue for the Theatre Collection says they have clippings for "Gowns By Roberta," but there was no card for programmes of the tryout. So, I looked at a lot of programmes for ROBERTA from the opening week in 1933 to to the last staging in NYC which invented a lady named Masha to sing a reprise of "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes." On a whim I filled out a slip for programmes for GOWNS BY ROBERTA, and I got a run of the Forrest Theatre, Philadelphia, tryout programs, even though the catalogue doesn't list them!

So many questions answered. By the 1934 post-Broadway tour, Bob Hope, George Murphy, and Fred MacMurray were heading off to Hollywood stardom.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2013, 12:19:03 PM »

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2013, 12:21:30 PM »

That's great news DR ELMORE.....there is always more to be found.....I have found.

DR DOUG R that production looks like a LOT of fun!  Thanks for the photos.

I am off in a bit for a rehearsal of Act Two of THE DROWSY CHAPERONE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2013, 12:47:12 PM »

Danny Burstein will appear at the Metropolitan Opera.
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/180386-Four-Time-Tony-Nominee-Danny-Burstein-Will-Make-Metropolitan-Opera-Debut-Opposite-Tony-Winner-Paulo-Szot

This comic (non singing) role has also been played in the past by Mr. Jason Graae.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2013, 01:07:59 PM »

Shirley Jones on some of the revelations in her new book:
http://news.yahoo.com/shirley-jones-offers-naked-truth-book-161813008.html

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »

Good morning.  And we'll see if it is.

Well...was it?

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2013, 01:25:37 PM »

Crazy dreams, man.  Just crazy.  It all began at about 4:30 when I suddenly woke up hearing the "ding dong" chime of my doorbell.  It was all in the dream, but so realistic.  It's so disorienting when such a sound wakes you up and you could swear you really heard it.  I've had that happen before, usually with someone's voice calling me.  I don't remember at all now what the 4:30 dream was prior to the doorbell, but fortunately I did get right back to sleep.  It's the dreams that followed before I got up this morning that were fascinating.  Variations on themes, as per usual, but some very interesting new variations.

More coffee!

What I REALLY hate is when I'm peeing in a dream and I actually wake myself up to make sure that I'm not really peeing in my bed! :o
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2013, 01:26:46 PM »

And yes, THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X.  I've already reported how finally sitting down and hearing it properly unfold on The Big Speakers blew me away, and it's only gotten better since.  There aren't enough thanks in the world for both BK and DR Elmore for that and so much more.  Arrangement, orchestration, show and album concept -- this is the stuff, man.

When I was in "The Brain From Planet X" here in Olympia, out of necessity we had a reduced band...I think just piano, bass, drums AND an actual Theremin! ;D

George

« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2013, 01:40:24 PM »

DR Laura, what is "All Shook UP"? And what play is it based on?

All Shook Up is a modern rock version of Twelfth Night w/music inspired by Elvis Presley. Cheyenne Jackson played Chad (his first Broadway lead). It was during the 2004/2005 Broadway season. Joe DiPietro wrote the book and Christopher Ashley directed the show.

I enjoyed it. Was it great theatre? No, but it was fun and had a good cast. I doubt it will ever be done in NY again but it has life outside the city.

Harlequin Productions (which is doing "Jesus Christ Superstar" right now and their production is "based" on the recent Live Arena Tour from England) wrote their own version called "A Rock & Roll Twelfth Night," and it was wonderful!  They wrote a great score for this show.  They put on three different productions and actually recorded it twice.  Louis Hobson, who went to on be in the original Broadway casts of "Next To Normal" and "The People in the Picture" (whose recording was released by Kritzerland!) was in the second revival. 

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2013, 01:46:04 PM »

Crazy dreams, man.  Just crazy.  It all began at about 4:30 when I suddenly woke up hearing the "ding dong" chime of my doorbell.  It was all in the dream, but so realistic.  It's so disorienting when such a sound wakes you up and you could swear you really heard it.  I've had that happen before, usually with someone's voice calling me.  I don't remember at all now what the 4:30 dream was prior to the doorbell, but fortunately I did get right back to sleep.  It's the dreams that followed before I got up this morning that were fascinating.  Variations on themes, as per usual, but some very interesting new variations.

More coffee!

What I REALLY hate is when I'm peeing in a dream and I actually wake myself up to make sure that I'm not really peeing in my bed! :o

TMI?

But, I hear ya!  Have had "got to go right now, got to go, got to go, got to go" dreams.  I wake up with a start expecting the worst and am always happy to discover that it was premonitory rather than current.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

ChasSmith

« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2013, 02:32:20 PM »

And yes, THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X.  I've already reported how finally sitting down and hearing it properly unfold on The Big Speakers blew me away, and it's only gotten better since.  There aren't enough thanks in the world for both BK and DR Elmore for that and so much more.  Arrangement, orchestration, show and album concept -- this is the stuff, man.

When I was in "The Brain From Planet X" here in Olympia, out of necessity we had a reduced band...I think just piano, bass, drums AND an actual Theremin! ;D

I have an actual Theremin!  Sadly, embarrassingly, it's just sitting here -- one of those things I keep saying I'm going to set myself down and learn how to play halfway competently.  I think I started saying that in 2003.

George

« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2013, 02:54:41 PM »

Well someone sent me an important email with a list of names I need for an website post....I had it open and clicked on something else....and the email disappeared.  It is not in my TRASH folder or anyplace else....any other folder.  It disappeared.  So I cannot write the until the sender sends it to me again.

That has never happened to me in all of the years I have been on the inner web.  I do not know what I did....

Jack, could you have accidentally moved it to another folder?  That's happened to me.  I would then have to check EVERY single folder (and I can have a lot) to see where it went. :-\

George

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2013, 02:58:55 PM »

I need to brush up my Shakespeare.

I'd done this speculation when the Times had their report on that book.

Darth Up Your Shakespeare - Tune of Brush Up Your Shakespeare

The Shakespeare lovers don’t think they’re nerds
They find sci-fi too dull for words
But now we find in their folio / R-2 and C-3-P-O
So the next new Broadway hit, I’ve no doubt, not one i-ota
Since the book’s done with such wit, They’ll love the Bard crossed with Yoda

Darth up your Shakespeare / Work in Luke and Han
Darth up your Shakespeare / Cash-flow worries will be gone

You will find there is no other plan akin / To a Iago played by little Anakin
Princess Leia will take any slam at her / If she‘s Kate in iambic pentameter
Bet your Hamlet would fly with Chewbacca / Though it sounds just a bit off your rocka

So darth up your Shakespeare
And you’ll gross anon / Dough goes on and on

Fred, I love this!!

George

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2013, 03:01:14 PM »

My favorite version of "Much Ado About Nothing" (actually, it's the ONLY version that I've ever seen ;)) is THIS version with David Tennant and Catherine Tate...former Doctor Who co-stars!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2013, 03:13:31 PM »

I have an actual Theremin!

That is so cool!

KevinH

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2013, 03:36:46 PM »

Good evening!

ChasSmith

« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2013, 03:43:55 PM »

That is so cool!

It's this one, the Moog Etherwave.  I built it from a kit.  It's mounted on a mic stand.
I see they have a "Plus" version out now -- it's got another knob on it, so it must be better!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »

That is so cool!

Isn't it? I would love to have one, too. And like you, ChasSmith, mine would probably sit there without me ever learning to play it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2013, 04:06:24 PM »

I not only have a theremin, I play it on the cast album of The Brain.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »

I had a turkey sandwich and no fries or onion rings.  Did a three-mile jog.  Did a little work on the computer, and am now going to pick up some packages.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up