Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PLANKS FOR THE MEMORIES  (Read 13551 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PLANKS FOR THE MEMORIES
« on: July 23, 2013, 12:39:54 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes planked, and now it is time for you to post until the planking cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: PLANKS FOR THE MEMORIES
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 12:40:59 AM »

And the word of the day is: QUILLET!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 01:53:03 AM »

bk - what a beautiful song!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 01:53:49 AM »

A belated happy birthday wish for DH Vixdad!  Also, wonderful news about the car insurance.       :)
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 02:07:13 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Doug R

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 02:10:29 AM »

The extreme heat and thunderstorms kept me awake most of the night.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 02:24:49 AM »

It looks like we are finally getting a bit of a break. There is rain right now and the temperatures are actually decent. I'm in the living room away from the AC and it's OK!

We had to turn the AC on again last night because it was hot and muggy again. No heat wave since it was below 90 degrees but hot and muggy nonetheless.

Oatmeal, banana, walnuts, cinnamon and coffee.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 03:40:26 AM »

Well, the rain restrained itself to a light drizzle for the first 45 minutes of our dog walk this morning. But for the last 10 minutes, the heavens opened.

I am quite damp right now, thank you very much.    :)

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 03:41:58 AM »

I ended up deciding NOT to recreate the title number from Singing in the Rain. But it was very close there for a moment.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 04:37:49 AM »

And the word of the day is: QUILLET!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  I RESOLVE

Michael

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 05:17:30 AM »

Good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 05:18:09 AM »

DR ArnoldBrockman is up really early today. :-)
Never stop dreaming.

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 05:20:14 AM »

:)
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 05:20:38 AM »

Good Morning.

;)
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 05:21:07 AM »

That's all I got.   :-[

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 05:22:19 AM »

Good morning, all.

Waiting for the allergy pill to kick in.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Michael

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 05:23:20 AM »

Yesterday DR DRUXy wrote

Charla Doherty was a fairly successful child actress who is probably best remembered for her roles in Take Her, She’s Mine (1963), as Jimmy Stewart’s youngest daughter, and Village of the Giants (1965).  For a time, she was also a regular on Days of Our Lives (1965-66).

Charla and I were a couple for the last eighteen months of her life.

My newly published screenplay, CHARLA, is inspired by her story and what happened during those troubled eighteen months.  It is available in both paperback and on Kindle.

Carla was the original Julie (mostly associated with Susan Seaforth Hayes) and was on the very first episode

here is a scene from the episode

http://youtu.be/nSdMPS8tQfI
Never stop dreaming.

Kerry

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 05:29:15 AM »

Good morning.  And we'll see if it is.
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 05:52:07 AM »

Good morning, all!

I slept later than I wanted this morning. Around 11am, i will head down to my pharmacy and pick up my meds, then head to the Lincoln Center NYPL and do some research.

BK, I'm happy everything went well and that you're pleased with the sessions.  I can't wait t hear the CD. Thanks for the kind words about "The Brain From Planet X." I love it, and I'm honored to be a part of such a wonderful show. Yesterday morning,  I had meant to ask you to give Lanny my regards. He is one of the best! The road to hell has been too many times paved with my good intentions

DR vixmom, good news about the car!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 06:17:31 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 05:54:22 AM »

Good morning.

TOD: I think my favorite version of a Shakespeare play was "All Shook Up."
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

FJL

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 06:08:42 AM »

Happy (Belated) birthday to vixdad!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 06:09:49 AM »

Yesterday DR DRUXy wrote

Charla Doherty was a fairly successful child actress who is probably best remembered for her roles in Take Her, She’s Mine (1963), as Jimmy Stewart’s youngest daughter, and Village of the Giants (1965).  For a time, she was also a regular on Days of Our Lives (1965-66).

Charla and I were a couple for the last eighteen months of her life.

My newly published screenplay, CHARLA, is inspired by her story and what happened during those troubled eighteen months.  It is available in both paperback and on Kindle.

Carla was the original Julie (mostly associated with Susan Seaforth Hayes) and was on the very first episode

here is a scene from the episode

http://youtu.be/nSdMPS8tQfI

You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 06:11:57 AM »

TOD:

Actually, I have not seen much Shakespeare on the stage; a couple of productions of THE TAMING OF THE SHREW.

But, on film, I really like Olivier's HAMLET and Welles' MACBETH.
You can dream…or you can do.

ChasSmith

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 06:32:42 AM »

Good morning, all.

Enjoyed hearing some rain at some point last night or during the night, but it was through the haze of sleep.  Sunny now. 

Haven't checked the air quality yet this morning.  Yesterday morning I opened windows for the first time in two weeks, which felt good initially, but within a few hours I was forced to declare it a failed experiment.  For now, still playing it safe in the AC.

ChasSmith

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 06:36:32 AM »

Crazy dreams, man.  Just crazy.  It all began at about 4:30 when I suddenly woke up hearing the "ding dong" chime of my doorbell.  It was all in the dream, but so realistic.  It's so disorienting when such a sound wakes you up and you could swear you really heard it.  I've had that happen before, usually with someone's voice calling me.  I don't remember at all now what the 4:30 dream was prior to the doorbell, but fortunately I did get right back to sleep.  It's the dreams that followed before I got up this morning that were fascinating.  Variations on themes, as per usual, but some very interesting new variations.

More coffee!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 06:41:16 AM »

DR Laura, what is "All Shook UP"? And what play is it based on?

MERCHANT OF VENICE: I worked on Dustin Hoffman's research for the London-Broadway "Merchant of Venice," and I loved him, personally and as Shylock; I didn't like Peter Hall's production which was cold  and sterile. I saw a wonderful Off-off-Broadway production of the same play, set in the 1930s with a cast including Stanley Tucci that was fantastic. When Portia and Nerissa showed up in court as lawyers, they wore double breasted suits and fedoras. I am also fond of the Al Pacino film version.

THE TEMPEST:  I like the BBC tv version with Michael Hordern from the late 1970s but I prefer FORBIDDEN PLANET

TWELFTH NIGHT: I was once nearly cast as Malvolio but i couldn't make thecallback; when I saw the production, I was happy I didn't get the role. Trevor Nunn's film from the 1990s with Ben Kingsley and Nigel Hawthorne as Malvolio is one of my favorites.

MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING: never seen it on stage, although I was once in a production, but i do love the 1971 Joseph Papp production on DVD with Sam Waterston, and Joss Whedon's new film with Nathan Fillion.  Much as I like Kenneth Branagh, I do not like his film of this play (sorry, DR vixmom!).

KING LEAR: my favorite play. I saw Peter Hall's production with Alan Howard as Lear at the Old Vic on my first trip to London in 1997. Denis Quilley was Gloucester. It had great moments. I do love the Ian Holm production on DVD with my friend Barry Lynch as Edmund, maybe Shakespeare's sexiest villain: Goneril and Regan kill each other over lust for him. The Olivier production is quite wonderful, but Sir Laurence gets a bit too cute at times. For me, the play rises or falls on the Gloucester and Edgar actors.

MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM: I saw the Royal Shakespeare Company onstage in an interesting production with my friend Barry Lynch as Puck. I also like the BBC tv version from the late 1970s with Helen Mirren as Titania. I did not much like the last film version with Kevin Kline.  The play is used in two of my favorite films, GET OVER IT and WERE THE WORLD MINE.

My other favorite film versions of the plays:
   Zeffirelli's TAMING OF THE SHREW and ROMEO AND JULIET
   Branagh's HENRY V
   Olivier's HENRY V and RICHARD III
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 06:51:59 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 06:59:52 AM »

I have no special knowledge of orchestration, and I couldn't put two notes together to save my life -- but as far back as I can remember I've been fascinated with all manner of orchestration.  Whatever the music, it makes all the difference.  Even in symphonic pieces and opera, the music of course should grab one first and foremost, but it's ultimately the orchestration, and the conductor's execution of it, that blows me away every time.

At the recording session for the Christmas album I was just in awe of the sounds coming at me, and I made sure that everyone around me (whether they had a musical bone in their body or not) hearing the album over this past holiday season was well aware that the arrangements, as well as the music and words themselves, must be paid attention to.

And yes, THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X.  I've already reported how finally sitting down and hearing it properly unfold on The Big Speakers blew me away, and it's only gotten better since.  There aren't enough thanks in the world for both BK and DR Elmore for that and so much more.  Arrangement, orchestration, show and album concept -- this is the stuff, man.

ChasSmith

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 07:03:37 AM »

What -- no Baz Luhrmann, DR Elmore?   :)

ChasSmith

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 07:04:37 AM »

I am eating a Danish.

Does anyone...still eat...a Danish?

It's not a very good one.  Costco, I think.  Oy!

Ben

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 07:23:30 AM »

DR Laura, what is "All Shook UP"? And what play is it based on?

All Shook Up is a modern rock version of Twelfth Night w/music inspired by Elvis Presley. Cheyenne Jackson played Chad (his first Broadway lead). It was during the 2004/2005 Broadway season. Joe DiPietro wrote the book and Christopher Ashley directed the show.

I enjoyed it. Was it great theatre? No, but it was fun and had a good cast. I doubt it will ever be done in NY again but it has life outside the city.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up