Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OVERTIRED  (Read 17313 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:OVERTIRED
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2004, 09:01:11 AM »

If you're a fan of Gilbert & Sullivan, you'll enjoy the next three hours at www.kusc.org (91.5 FM in Los Angeles.)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2004, 09:02:32 AM »

Re: Eileen Heckart in "The Bad Seed" -- I always want to slap her and tell her to stop sleepwalking!  I always thought that was because her character was somnambulistic.  It didn't occur to me that it might be Heckart.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2004, 09:03:01 AM »

[Running and ducking for cover]!!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2004, 09:03:42 AM »

Do a little dance.

Make a little love.

Get down tonight!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2004, 09:04:15 AM »

The actor in question is wonderful in the show - he sometimes lacks discipline and that's what happened last night.  The bit HAS to start with a certain line - it just doesn't work any other way, and last night he didn't do the line, no one knew why he was in the audience and then he just kept digging himself into a hole when he didn't get his usual reaction - and that hole impacted the act more than you would think because the tone was off.  I still think they enjoyed it, but it was just a bit off the whole way.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2004, 09:04:47 AM »

Anyway, what I was saying about galas when I accidentally signed off is that I don't like crowds and I don't like small talk, and i get nervous at events like that -- so they are not my favorite things. I guess the various industry galas I've attended would be the ones to list in the gala field - Emmy, WGA, that kind of thing. As I said, I get nervous (although you'd never know it - I do work the room - that's where being an ex-actress comes in handy - I play Anna who enjoys this kind of thing) - and because of the nerves it's sort of like an out-of-body experience, so i don't remember much. Which is a long way of saying I'd have trouble describing said galas.
I do remember one daytine "gala" - at the Governor General's mansion in Ottawa. My then husband was getting some kind of award from the Gov-Gen and it was very formal and fun. For the Yanks, the Governor-General is the Queen's representative in Canada, so it's terribly formal with lots of bowing and scraping. Totally cool.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2004, 09:05:29 AM »

Perhaps I was too harsh on Miss Heckart - I, too, like her in Bus Stop and Up the Down Staircase, but she's a bit over the top in Seed (maybe it's because she'd done it on stage for two years) and she's a bit over the top (but excellent) in No Way to Treat a Lady.

Michael

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2004, 09:21:52 AM »

DR MS - was the Michael Shelton in your TAKE ME OUT a tall black guy who was on ALLY MCBEAL a couple of times?

Below is the bio of the Michael Shelton I saw last night
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2004, 09:24:31 AM »

Interesting the two actors that BK thought chewed the scenery were nominated for academy awards as was Patty McCormick, I guess there is no acconting for taste when it comes to oscars
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2004, 09:32:39 AM »

Like to point out that Miss Heckart won the Emmy, oscar  and a special tony award for career excellence. Although if the tony rules were different the year of Butterflies Are Free she probably would have won instead of Blythe Danner who won for a lead role in the supporting category
Never stop dreaming.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2004, 09:36:14 AM »

Sorry about your actor's lapse last night - in my experience, 2nd night is always the one to fear!!! First night has that rush of adrenaline, 2nd night, there is the let-down. Generally, I love to see the 3rd performance of a show - the jitters and boo-boo's are done with, and it still has the "new" sheen of opening night, but has settled in.

Gala - well, the most glittery of all was a private party for the Royal Family of Holland, at the home of the Princess Christina in the East 80's (she was still married to Jorge Guillermo), in honor of the birthday of her mother, the former Queen Juliana. I was invited in to sing a recital for the event. They were such an appreciative audience for the Satie cafe songs and some vaudeville songs and operetta arias and a few Russian folksongs with my guitar. I led them all in "Happy Birthday" which was the hit of the evening. I wore my hair half up, half down. The "up" half was securely glued to my head. Scarlet evening gown, simple gold chain at my throat, gold watch. My pianist wore a tux. Dinner was posh, fewer than 20 people in attendance, I was treated as an honored guest. Even got invited back to lunch in a few weeks, and invited to HRH Christina's own recital some weeks after that. These were some of the kindest, most gracious people I have ever met.

I had the honor to sing a supporting part in Beverly Sills' final opera, and lemme tell ya, the glitterati were present for that one!!!

Wish I were going to be able to be present for this 3rd show of What If tonight...
PennyO

Danise

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2004, 09:42:26 AM »

Hi Folks,

Would you believe we just had a rain storm (nothing to do with Charlie) and have been without power the past couple of hours?  

There was some major lightning so I guess a pole got struck.    Wow!

Gala's.  Sorry to say that I have never been to one.    

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2004, 09:46:12 AM »

Looks like a friend has a gig next weekend in Seattle - I have been coaching her for nearly 4 years, and watching in some awe as she leaps one hurdle after the next... anyhow, I'll have to miss this HHW reunion in Portland, and go support her effort. Her name is Eva Moon, she's got a CD out, and it's getting some national airplay! The band is a pretty eclectic mix, and the songs are quite the mixed bag. If you care to, go to www.evamoon.com
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2004, 09:47:58 AM »

oops, just checked, and that ain't it... oy
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2004, 09:49:52 AM »

Okay, I must be OVERTIRED...

try instead: www.evamoon.net
PennyO

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2004, 09:54:21 AM »

In advance of Thursday's Dracula opening, there's a big article about Frank Wildhorn in tomorrow's New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/15/theater/newsandfeatures/15SUIS.html

I dare say many Dear Readers will enjoy this paragraph from the article:

In recent telephone interviews, three theater critics elaborated on their published invective. Linda Winer, of Newsday, said that Mr. Wildhorn writes "dunderheaded musicals for people who find Andrew Lloyd Webber too difficult." Ben Brantley, of The New York Times, allowed, "They're fine if you're in the mood to be emotionally knee-jerked." And Charles Isherwood of Variety said of Mr. Wildhorn: "His natural home is in Las Vegas. That might be his most sensible career move. Skip Broadway altogether."

(I find Ms. Winer's quote particularly delectable.)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2004, 09:54:35 AM »

Penny am I missing something? That site appears to only be for her stained glass work.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2004, 10:04:26 AM »

Thank you Penny and JRand.  We saw some beautiful places.

Tomovoz is that another beautiful painting by Colin?

Why would anyone want to stay in a mobile home during a hurricane?  Aren’t they notorious for being wiped out in these things?  Very, very sad to die needlessly.

Matt H, were you evacuated during Hugo?  When you say you lived through it does that mean you were trapped in the heart of the hurricane?

Gala’s.  I have been to several rather fancy affairs, but no gala’s.  Keith went to a big event at the Swiss Embassy in Boston.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2004, 10:08:12 AM »

Thanks for the info, DRPANNI.

And I think that Heckart (and Kelly to a MUCH greater degree) were doing the performances that had brought them acclaim....the exact performances...LOL.  I just don't understand how professionals watching the rushes could let it go SO FAR!!  Of course, I am glad they did....who wants a subtle BAD SEED?

Gee, what if Ethel Merman had just barged into the theatre without saying:  "Sing out, Louise!"

Thanks, DRMSHAYNE....hmmmmmmm.....different Michael Shelton, but I forgot I know him, too....just not...as well.  They were rehearsing TAKE ME OUT upstairs while we were rehearsing and running LOVING LUCY on the second stage.  Seems like only yesterday!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2004, 10:20:08 AM »

Haven't turned on the TV in days. It's interesting how the tube totally ties you emotionally to world events.
For all I know, the Olympics could be starting next month. Had I watched the opening, I'd probably be quite excited about it today.
As for the tragedy in Florida, it's an intellectual concept at the moment. The minute I turn on the TV and see footage, it will be a visceral one

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2004, 10:23:27 AM »

This morning I went for a walk and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2004, 10:39:28 AM »

A few minutes later, it looked like this:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2004, 10:42:50 AM »

Good Morning!

DR DearReaderLaura - Gorgeous Picture!!

-Well, I'm up, but boy do I wish I could have stayed in bed for just another hour or so!  Hopefully, I'll be able to sneak in a little nap this afternoon.

DR Panni - I know what you're saying about not having the TV turned on.  It's just amazing how detached one can get from the "real world" at times - although sometimes that's not necessarily a bad thing.  However, I do try my best to check in with some of my newspapers on a daily basis via the net, so I'm not totally out of the loop.  And, I have to say, AOL's news coverage has really improved over the past few months.

Well, I need to get my day started.  I got some cleaning and laundry to do before heading out of here.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2004, 10:45:59 AM »

I don't believe I have ever attended a gala of any type.  :-\

Today I am going to THE BITE OF PORTLAND with friends. Will eat and maybe drink and listen to live music all the live long day.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2004, 10:53:41 AM »

After seeing RUTHLESS I can no longer see THE BAD SEED and take it seriously.

The most glamorous event I've ever been to wat the 1976 Tony Awards (the year of A CHORUS LINE, CHICAGO and PACIFIC OVERTURES).  I wore a (rented) tux and I met someone I had met the night before in a bar.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2004, 10:56:30 AM »

The Washington Center for the Performing Arts here in Olympia has a CenterFest Celebration every February.  They have a big name come and perform and people with a lot of money pay a lot of money to help keep the Center in business.  Of all the ones that I've gone to, I've only NOT ushered for one of them.  Bernadette Peters was here a few years ago and I got to go and sit in the audience!  She was wonderful!  Her show was very similar to her "Sondheim Etc." concert & concert DVD.  Tony Bennett was the performer this year.  Gregory Hines performed last year.  They've also had Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr., Natalie Cole and...others too numerous to remember.

Other than that, the only other "gala" would be the opening of Harlequin's State Theater that I mentioned a few days ago.  It was the first stage show in what used to be a movie theater.  They had a great big opening night celebration...champagne for the audience, local news people, etc.  Quite fancy-schmancy!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2004, 11:12:42 AM »

...The only thing to take away (slightly) from the evening was the loathsome Fred Phelps family...I don't often make blanket statements like this, but what a pile of sh*t those people are. I know that Woody and others don't like the word "hate" to be thrown around with abandon (and I agree with that), but in this case, I think it applies. They are hate-mongering toads who are the personification of evil....
In this case, the word is (sadly) appropriate.

I remember being part of the Long Beach Gay Pride Parade one year, as part of the softball league's contingent.  Der Brucer opted instead to watch the parade from the sidelines...but it was WHERE he was sidelined that was the fun part.  The "anti's" (as opposed to the "aunties") were all together in a specific section of the parade route, with police keeping control.  Der B. positioned himself right next to that loud crew, and for every contingent in the parade that the crew chanted and jeered against, he whooped and hollered his support.

By the time we reunited after the parade, at the fairgrounds, he was quite hoarse, of course.  But he was also very happy.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2004, 11:16:13 AM »

The actor in question is wonderful in the show - he ...
OK, that eliminates the three actresses.

But let's leave it at that.

:-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2004, 11:30:49 AM »

GALA:

The biggest gala der Brucer and I have been to was called "The Gala", a fundraiser for the Long Beach theater company der B. served as a boardmember.  We wore our tuxes, and there were several celebs there, some of whom I met (such as Joseph Campanella and Jodi Benson).  Joining us at our table were our Congressman, Steve Horn, and his lovely wife, and a few other friends...and Nell Carter.

Nell was absolutely wonderful, and having a great time that evening.  There was a silent auction going on, as another part of the fundraiser, and I teamed up with her, to make sure no one out-bid her for certain items she wanted.  

She was impressed enough with the theater that she later agreed to star in their production of Raisin.  Sadly, it was during the rehearsal process that she died, at her home, her heart giving out.

I wish I could have seen her in the show.  She would have been radiant.

Danise

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2004, 11:35:45 AM »

I don't remember if I ever told you guys the address for that little count down/count up clock that I used to count down to my vacations.  

I switched computers and since it was a free download, I tried to find it again on the web.  I have looked and looked and looked but couldn't find it!  I asked a few people I e-mail if I happened to send the address to them and thank goodness one of them had it!

I want to share the address while I have it handly in case any of you want it.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up