Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OVERTIRED  (Read 17314 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:OVERTIRED
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2004, 11:46:59 AM »

Danise I believe I saved the address.

I just noticed I am developing a lump on my wrist where I rest it on the desk while I use the mouse.  I had better make an adjustment here or spend less time on the computer.

Jane

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2004, 11:48:01 AM »

Last night we finally saw IN AMERICA.  I have wanted to see this movie since it was released.  It was definitely worth the wait.  What a powerful moving movie.  I looked up the real life sisters who portray siblings in the movie.  Both girls were terrific and I’m wondering why they have not done more work since then.

DRLaura, spectacular!  And I thought I walked early to beat the heat. :)

Jane

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2004, 11:49:40 AM »

Bruce, have a great third night!  :)

Danise

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2004, 11:58:41 AM »

Thanks, Jane, I guess I should have asked you first but I couldn't remember having given it on this board or to you.

I have several lumps in my left wrist.  I've shown them to the doctor on serveral visits but she says they are just "water bumps".  Fluid filled but not dangerous.  They don't bother me.

HAVE A WONDERFUL THIRD NIGHT!  

I wish I could be there to see it.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2004, 11:59:43 AM »

Just being in this business you attend a fair share of Galas...various openings and what-not.  Where you get your little gift basket and rub elbows with celebs.  I've attended openings for my own films, like DRAGONHEART which had the big red carpet gala in Westwood and afters party.  I've done the WGA awards which were fine for a couple of years, but paled pretty fast.  When I had a deal at Disney, they used to throw really good parties on the lot for screenings of their films,lots of celebs -- everyone from Spielberg to Charo...The Lovely Wife had her picture taken with Vincent Price at one...and great food...there be carts full of brownies and cookies and those were just the deserts.  They also did a Gala for the opening of Captain Eo down at Disneyland which was pretty darn spectacular...just threw the park open to an invited crowd.  They used to do that for one night during Christmas season too.

My favourite Galas though were attending the British Stunt Association Ball in London at the Grosvenor House.  We went twice.  The first time,  we stayed until four in the morning.  Saw legend Spike Milligan.  Had to wear a tuxedo (it was for this that I bought my first tuxedo).  Great fun...the Brits know how to party.  The Lovely Wife also won about 200 pds in a drawing.  She gave half of it back to the charity the event sponsored.  The other half she spent like a drunken sailor.

My other favourite Gala was for the 50th anniversary for our college theatre, The Guignol Theatre at the University of Kentucky.  My best friend, Roger Lee Leasor, president of the biggest liquor concern in Lexington and scion of local theatre there (he calls it non-neurotic theatre because there's no pressure to make a career of it.  As a student and a community local, he's probably done more shows on the Guignol stage than anyone) and I decided we would both wear tuxedos.  We were the only ones and we looked very spiffy, if I do say so myself.  It was a great evening of nostalgia and meeting old friends.  Both Roger and The Lovely Wife, Julieanne, sang.  Julieanne sort of blew people away there who had no idea she had the pipes she did...she wowed 'em with LAZY AFTERNOON and ANYONE CAN WHISTLE.  It was just a great, great weekend.

And there was, of course, my favourite day in Hollywood...Miklos Rozsa's memorial service.  Wasn't supposed to be a Gala, but more or less became one.  Great music; great memories.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2004, 12:35:11 PM »

I don't know much from gala events, but I do likes me a nice gala apple.

My mom and I just got back to the zoo. We saw flamingo chicks, a vulture chick, a hornbill chick, and some flying fox bats.

I'm watching one of my favorite infomercials. Chef Tony just made peanut butter with the Ultimate Chopper.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2004, 12:37:31 PM »

UP at 3:30. I just drank some of the Diet Cherry Coke I bought yesterday. Von's was out of the regular DCC, so I bought their house brand. GHASTLY!
Back to bed.

Store brand cherry soda can never compare to the real thing.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2004, 12:38:15 PM »

I'm watching one of my favorite infomercials. Chef Tony just made peanut butter with the Ultimate Chopper.

I'll bet his mom is proud! ::)  ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 12:38:38 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2004, 01:07:56 PM »

This morning's breathtaking sunrise was brought to you by last night's dust storm.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2004, 01:27:18 PM »

Echo just reminded me to wish that cute guy Abie a
BIG HAPPY BIRTDAY! :D :D

Let’s hear it for dust storms! :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 01:27:51 PM by Jane »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2004, 01:28:23 PM »

Lovely photos DRLAURA!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2004, 01:42:46 PM »

DRLaura after Keith looked at your beautiful photos he said for me to tell you he agrees, it needs salt.  ;D

François de Paris

« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2004, 01:45:47 PM »

Quote:

Linda Winer, of Newsday, said that Mr. Wildhorn writes "dunderheaded musicals for people who find Andrew Lloyd Webber too difficult!"

When Ms Winer writes this, is she aware that she's being more offensive to people who like that kind of entertainment than to Mr Wildhorn himself?

Besides, I would think there's room for any kind of style and talent or lack of it! :)

Sad for all those people who are affected by the damages caused by that hurricane! Real sad!

Never been to any gala of some sort!
Mr Wildhorn -- or Linda!!  -- NEVER invite me! :o
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 01:50:42 PM by François de Paris »

Jane

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2004, 02:09:25 PM »

Memory flash!  Keith and I did go to a gala event in Los Angeles.  It was to raise funds for my cousin’s oncologist and was hosted by John Stamos and Rebecca Ramijn Stamos.  John’s mother was the organizer of this annual event.  We only went the one time to support my cousin who thought the world of her doctor and was a speaker that evening.  

I did not meet the Stamos’s but John’s mother is a warm delightful woman.  I had a few phone conversations with her prior to our meeting.  As for John, in person and in a tux, I must say he was better looking than on film, if that is possible.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2004, 02:19:31 PM »

Just wanted to test my new photo, courtesy of DR Michael Shayne.

I've spent most of the day in bed; the throbbing in my left leg is driving me mad.  Thank God for Tylenol with codiene.  I've been listening to Leo Delibes and Benjamin Britten and reading A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2004, 02:22:28 PM »

Tomovoz is that another beautiful painting by Colin

No DR Jane: We do have the galahs visit our seed bowls quite often but I don't think have yet "Sat" fot this particular artist.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2004, 02:26:07 PM »

The most glamorous event I've ever been to wat the 1976 Tony Awards (the year of A CHORUS LINE, CHICAGO and PACIFIC OVERTURES).  I wore a (rented) tux and I met someone I had met the night before in a bar.

When one watches that 1976 Tony Awards ceremony, it seems as if the theater audience is absolutely electrified by that opening CHROUS LINE number. As someone who was there that night, WEL, did you have that sensation?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2004, 02:29:12 PM »

HEALING LEG VIBES FOR DRELMORE!

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2004, 02:34:52 PM »

DR Jane asked: "Matt H, were you evacuated during Hugo?  When you say you lived through it does that mean you were trapped in the heart of the hurricane?"

No, we weren't evacuated since we live 150 miles inland, we never suspected that the hurricane would arrive here with much force at all. Boy were we wrong! My neighbor had one huge pine tree blast through her dining room ceiling and another one come through her living room ceiling. She was elderly (82) and had gone to stay the night with her son. Otherwise, she most certainly would have been killed either by one of the trees or her heart giving out on her. There was damage like that all over town, and many people lost their power for up to three weeks. Fortunately for me, I got my power back in 3 days due to the mayor's father and mother living down the street from me. I think he saw to it that they got their power back on early. School was canceled for a week and a day (happened in late September after we had gone back to work).

As I said, I was indeed fortunate. I had a couple of small downed limbs in my front yard but many others didn't fare nearly as well. As for the storm itself, the wind and rain made noise such as I never want to hear again. Truly terrifying, and you could hear trees cracking all around you. That's what scared me the most: not knowing from one minute to the next if a tree was coming down on the house.

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2004, 02:40:32 PM »

I FINALLY got my Deanna Durbin set today and naturally put in CAN'T HELP SINGING immediately. It looked glorious. I only noticed a couple of specks, but though I'm sure the movie went through no restoration at all, the elements for CAN'T HELP SINGING appear to be in beautiful shape. Tonight I'll watch IT STARTED WITH EVE.

Whoever wrote the liner notes, however, is a first class idiot. Simple research would eliminated errors from the VERY FIRST SENTENCE which states her Universal career lasted from 1939 - 1944. Huh? THREE SMART GIRLS, her debut feature film, was a 1936 movie, and she won the Oscar in 1938. How could that have happened if she didn't make a feature until 1939? And her last film, FOR THE LOVE OF MARY, was in 1948. How do people get jobs and keep them with that kind of incompetence?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2004, 02:45:54 PM »

Echo just reminded me to wish that cute guy Abie a
BIG HAPPY BIRTDAY! :D :D

SKAMMEN! I forgot! Thank you, Echo and Jane for reminding me!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2004, 02:54:23 PM »

HAPPY 2ND BIRTHDAY, DC (DEAR CANINE) ABIE!!

Jane

« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2004, 02:56:29 PM »

Matt H thanks for the details.  What a story to tell and with a happy ending.  

Does your Deana Durbin set have an interview with her?  I can’t remember if you mentioned one.  All I have read is she retired, gained weight and was happily married and living in Europe (?).

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2004, 03:00:39 PM »

Penny am I missing something? That site appears to only be for her stained glass work.

My boo-boo - the real website url is www.evamoon.net
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2004, 03:02:25 PM »

DR Jane, there doesn't appear to be any special features on the set, and even if there were, I'm sure Deanna would not have participated. She left her Hollywood career behind long ago, does not like to even talk about it, and from what I understand, has been very reclusive over the last few years.

CAN'T HELP SINGING is the famous film of hers where she wears two different dresses during the finale reprises. She couldn't decide which dress she liked best, so she wore each of them while reprising two different numbers from the score at the end of the movie.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2004, 03:05:06 PM »

Very cute Panni.  Did you find a special treat for him in the frig?

Not only do I keep my babies birthdays on the calendar I keep the year they were born there.  Don’t laugh.  It is easy to remember for one two year old, but try it for five of them at once. The older they, and I, got the more I needed the extra memory boost.  ;D

Danise

« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2004, 03:05:09 PM »

I ducked (ok I’ll say it—Quack!) out to get a few things and picked up some Chinese for dinner.

I spotted the John Wayne movie, Chisum at Walmart and had to buy it.  It is one of my very, very favorite JW films.  Can’t wait to pop it in the DVD player and watch it.  :)

I want to go tomorrow to pick The Bells Of St. Marys that I spotted over at the mall last weekend.  I thought I could get it at DeepDiscountDVD.com but it isn’t listed.

Eveyone have a nice evening.  I'm going to enjoy Chisum and maybe I'll be back afterwards.  Chisum!  John Chisum, weary, saddleworn.  Chisum!  John Chisum.....   I still remember the song.

Before I go--Good leg vibes to Elmore and I like the new picture!

« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 03:07:35 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2004, 03:07:11 PM »

Happy Birthday, Dear Dog Abie!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2004, 03:12:15 PM »

Elmore! i love the new photo!!! Delibes, huh? just don't try to dance, cutie!! Hope hope hope you are mending quickly. You'll be up and hopping about as good as new before you know it. (Being our age helps - time flies by, doesn't it!!!)
PennyO

François de Paris

« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2004, 03:12:44 PM »

Story!
TRUE story! -- why would I lie to you??? --

On my way to work this evening, I passed by that store:

http://www.abebooks.com/home/SFBOOKS/

... and stopped to look at a pile of paperbacks displayed outside on the right of the entrance AND the second title that caught my eye was:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0749322306.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Sorry... the pic's blurry!

I let you guess if I bought it!.... 2 euros!!!

It's a Small World After All, isn't it!  -- sorry Mr P. -- :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up