Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I REMEMBER SKY  (Read 8823 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
I REMEMBER SKY
« on: January 23, 2014, 12:35:31 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes remembered sky, and now it is time for you to post until the remembered cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: I REMEMBER SKY
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 12:36:13 AM »

And the word of the day is: IDEM!

Ben

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 02:45:27 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Kerry

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 04:45:03 AM »

It's finally Thursday--- and yet already Thursday.  This week has been like that.
I like boat races.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 04:48:18 AM »

TOD:

Sid Ramin and Irwin Kostal's for West Side Story (the stage version)
Jonathan Tunick's for Sweeney Todd
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 05:05:46 AM »

Morning, everybody! Thanks to all for yesterday's birthday wishes. Vixmom, glad to hear that things are ok.

Holy moley, but it's c-c-cold out there!

TOD: There's a lot of individual things on recordings that I've either had pointed out to me or noticed, but I can't say that I remember any particular one as a whole. In live performance, I remember a production of Company by the Dicapo Opera Theatre in which the music director obviously spent a lot of time making the score work for his limited orchestra. I've seen a lot of productions of that show, and he made his 2 keyboards and percussion sound better than many larger setups that I've heard.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 05:33:31 AM »

Good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 05:35:37 AM »

TOD

I like work Jonathan Tunick and his work on Sondheim's musical.

Also his work on Promises Promises
Never stop dreaming.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 06:10:28 AM »

Good morning, all.

Vibes of warmth to all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 06:14:28 AM »

TOD:

Phil Lang and Allen Small's work on Make a Wish
Andre Popp and Robert Ginzler's work on Irma la Douce
Tunick on the original Merrily We Roll Along
Larry Moore's work on Jubilee (after Russell Bennett's original)
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 06:22:10 AM »

Good morning, all.

Coffee! 

And toast.  Rye toast.  A couple of slices just buttered, and another with orange marmalade.

ChasSmith

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 06:27:44 AM »

TOD:

Actually, I'm not prepared to answer yet.  I'll have to go downstairs later and run my eye over albums and scores and see if I can't rustle up, like cows, some of my favorites.  But I found BK's comment about LI'L ABNER very interesting, so now I must listen to the opening number on both recordings to see what that's all about.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 06:27:54 AM »

It took about 10 minutes to get ready to walk the dog this morning, between putting on all my layers and getting the boots on the dog.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 07:16:44 AM »

Good Morning.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 07:19:15 AM »

I am pleased to say I now have the library books loaded and ready to read.  First I need to finish reading my current book and then decide if I have enough time to read the first book before the library takes it back.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 07:20:25 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept late, but i am up. i've got about 40 bars to write t fish this choral piece today.  Tomorrow, i g not Encores! to help Joshie and his team - I guess I'm a part of that team, actually - clean up LITTLE ME.

I have no more news about myself, but I have lots f responses to so many fascinating and upsetting posts. If I miss someone's crises, please forgive me. There was so much from last night!

DR Jeanne, a couple of years ago my doctor suggested I have a shingle vaccine inoculation.  At the time, I had no idea what shingles was except that music publisher Tommy Valando had been hospitalized with it around 1984, but I'm glad that I did. In 2012, recording DEAREST ENEMY, we almost lost Stephen Rea who was suffering from the problem, and his description of the symptoms was terrifying. I hope your bout passes quickly and as painlessly as possible.

DR vixmom, how are you today?  I am so sorry to hear of your latest health mess.  What's this about a vacation?  And, yes, you need to see the 1959 film of LI'L ABNER; it's fantastic.

Rot-in-hell vibes to the irresponsible drivers who hit several cars owned by Drs or their friends yesterday!  Humanity has been falling apart for years but I'm afraid it's escalating.

Kristin Chenoweth? I have seen her excellent (THE FANTASTICKS, STRIKE UP THE BAND) and dreadful (STAIRWAY TO PARADISE, MUSIC MAN). I think her advisors offer poor advise and that she needs to learn she's a character lady, not a leading lady.  I'd go see her; you can hear RUSALKA on CD or DVD. She might be quite wonderful in concert.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 07:26:23 AM »

I am pleased to say I now have the library books loaded and ready to read.  First I need to finish reading my current book and then decide if I have enough time to read the first book before the library takes it back.

How did they get it on your nook? And why would they take it back if you just got it?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 07:27:59 AM »

TOD:

DR John G, I am flattered to be included on your list, but I must clarify your comment: not a single note of JUBILEE is "(after Russell Bennett's original)."  It's all my work, and while I had Russell Bennett as my inspiration, I also wanted the show to sound like orchestration by Ravel, Arthur Sullivan, and Elgar.  I have no idea what Russell Bennett's orchestrations remotely sounded like for the original 1935 production; they are lost. JUBILEE was built FROM SCRATCH by Tommy Krasker and me n 1985, and every note in that vocal score is either my vocal or dance arrangement and it's my orchestration in the full score, entirely mine, no one else'.  Beyond the stage directions and cues in the score in Tommy's hand, ever note in both vocal and full score is in my hand. 

I had no Bennett scores from 1935 to have a peek at, nor did his ghost appear at my bedside and dictate it to me.  This false information that I was simply restoring Bennett's work was stated in the original 1986 program, written behind my back to my dismay, and perpetrated by Ian Marshall Fisher in his 1999 BBC broadcast. As you can gather, I am thoroughly sick of this false information being perpetrated.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 08:27:59 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 07:36:32 AM »

Vibes for DR Jeanne and DR Vixmom! Both of you need to take some rest!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 07:45:12 AM »

TOD:

Broadway:  "A Little Night Music" as heard on the British cast recording.

Movies:  "South Pacific", "Carousel", "The King and I" and many others by the likes of Edward B. Powell and Conrad Salinger.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:09:20 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 08:16:59 AM »

And the word of the day is: IDEM!

And The Song Of The Day Is: THE SAME OLD SONG AND DANCE

John G.

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 08:24:56 AM »

TOD:

DR John G, I am flattered to be included on your list, but I must clarify your comment: not a angle note of JUBILEE is "(after Russell Bennett's original)."  It's all my work, and while I had Russell Bennettas my inspiration, I also wanted the show to sound like orchestration by Ravel, Arthur Sullivan, and Elgar.  I have no idea what Russell Bennett's orchestrations remotely sounded like for the original 1935 production; they are lost. JUBILEE was built FROM SCRATCH by Tommy Krasker and me n 1985, and every note in that vocal score is either my vocal or dance arrangement and it's my orchestration in the full score, entirely mine, no one else'.  Beyond the stage directions and cues in the score in Tommy's hand, ever note in both vocal and full score is in my hand. 

I had no Bennett scores from 1935 to have a peek at, nor did his ghost appear at my bedside and dictate it to me.  This false information that I was simply restoring Bennett's work was stated in the original 1986 program, written behind my back to my dismay, and perpetrated by Ian Marshall Fisher in his 1999 BBC broadcast. As you can gather, I am thoroughly sick of this false information being perpetrated.

Thanks for the clarification. The orchestrations are a treasure. And I want a real recording of them.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 08:26:31 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  Richard and I both had doctor's appointments today and got good reports.  We're regrouping here at home and will soon go out for lunch and to do several errands.  It's clear and sunny here today, but cold, cold, cold.  Taking advantage of the relatively clear roads before the next snowstorm.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 08:27:11 AM »

It took about 10 minutes to get ready to walk the dog this morning, between putting on all my layers and getting the boots on the dog.

When I was a kid in Detroit I invented a word for all those layers:  Grup.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 08:32:33 AM »

Kristin Chenoweth? I have seen her excellent (THE FANTASTICKS, STRIKE UP THE BAND) and dreadful (STAIRWAY TO PARADISE, MUSIC MAN). I think her advisors offer poor advise and that she needs to learn she's a character lady, not a leading lady.  I'd go see her; you can hear RUSALKA on CD or DVD. She might be quite wonderful in concert.

Richard and I saw her in concert with Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops in 2005 and she was, indeed, quite wonderful.  She and Maestro K had such chemistry - not like when Mom and I saw him with Bebe Neuwirth a few months later.  They didn't even look at each other.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 08:37:28 AM »

I can't comment on the TOD. I tried, but I find I like too much, beginning with Otto Langey's work for Victor Herbert around 1900 through the 1980s.  By then, theatre orchestras were dwindling from 26-35 players to combos, and the art of theatre orchestration - except the opera/concert hall or piece d'occasion - became an effort to make a small group sound big with synthesizers replacing other instruments. My friends Larry Blank and Larry Hochman are really good at this, particularly in DROWSY CHAPERONE and SPAMALOT.

I've puttered about long enough. I've got 30+ bars of music to finish.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 08:39:40 AM »

Richard and I saw her in concert with Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops in 2005 and she was, indeed, quite wonderful.  She and Maestro K had such chemistry - not like when Mom and I saw him with Bebe Neuwirth a few months later.  They didn't even look at each other.

Ms Neuwirth has a big reputation for being unpleasant to work with.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 11:13:35 AM by elmore3003 »

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 08:44:15 AM »

Off to do errands - bye for now!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 08:51:46 AM »

Such happenings yesterday on HHW!  Oh my.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 08:52:30 AM »

Production photos and headshots were taken yesterday....if they show up online, I will post a link.  I took a few backstage photos....I will post a couple after I get them from my camera.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up