Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE JOY OF RUTH CHRIS  (Read 8761 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE JOY OF RUTH CHRIS
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2014, 07:44:59 PM »

Five!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2014, 07:45:28 PM »

Went to a Chinese New Year dinner tonight. Way too many courses of food.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2014, 07:51:11 PM »

Watching Eddie Cantor in Whoopie. The jokes were old when they were new, and somehow I'm still smiling at some of them.
― Voltaire

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2014, 07:59:57 PM »

Then I remembered that they were released on laserdisc, which are not copy-guarded at all. ;) I wanted them in a digital format, so I looked on eBay and watched a few sets and eventually won a set of the "Special Widescreen Edition" of the original version.  They arrived last week and I was so excited to start recording them!  That night, I started recording the first side of the first disc of "Star Wars," and when it stopped, I hit the eject button on my player...but nothing happened!  The drawer wouldn't open!  I hit the button again and nothing happened.  I hit the play button and nothing happened!  I turned off the power and turned it back on and again, NOTHING HAPPENED!  And nothing worked. :( So, I left the disc in the player and the next day brought it to a local place that repairs all kinds of players.  They were able to fix it AND get the disc out!  I just got it back yesterday and was FINALLY able to watch and record my own DVD of "Star Wars"!  I will also be making copies for several friends.  Granted, it'll be windowboxed, but it's copyable.

You are the best guy, George.  You are always so willing to extend yourself for a friend.  I hope George appreciates all the efforts you went through on his behalf
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2014, 08:01:12 PM »

After I came home from "The House on Pooh Corner" today, I watched and recorded "The Empire Strikes Back."  I'm going to watch and record "Return of the Jedi" but before I do, I'm now watching my purchased DVD of Episode II and will watch Episode III next.  A couple of months ago, a friend posted on Facebook a link to someone's blog about the best way to watch the Star Wars series to maximize the enjoyment and minimize the frustration.  It's called The Machete Order and makes a lot of sense!  You watch them in this order:  IV, V, II, III, VI. 

and skip I ?

vixmom

« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2014, 08:02:03 PM »

Notice that Episode I isn't included.  He explains the reasons why it makes sense (essentially, II and III become an extended flashback), but he also admits a few drawbacks.  I've watched IV and V and now I'm watching II while the DVD for V is burning.  I'll then watch III and finally watch and record the last laserdisc of VI tonight.  I've never had a movie marathon before.  It's pretty interesting seeing them again after all these years...and in this order.

oh I shoulda kept reading

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2014, 08:07:12 PM »

Notice that Episode I isn't included.  He explains the reasons why it makes sense (essentially, II and III become an extended flashback), but he also admits a few drawbacks.  I've watched IV and V and now I'm watching II while the DVD for V is burning.  I'll then watch III and finally watch and record the last laserdisc of VI tonight.  I've never had a movie marathon before.  It's pretty interesting seeing them again after all these years...and in this order.

I am not familiar with The Machete Order, but do partly agree with the suggestion.  I don't think the first 2 parts of the prequel trilogy are essential.  Parts of Pt. III would be either a good flashback or as I think of it, a footnote (i.e., not really essential but some benefit can be derived from it).  As you may tell from my tone, I am not a fan of the prequel trilogy, except for some of III.  I think IV is great, V is a superb, dark sequel and VI gets lost in marketing fuzzy little stuffed animals (segue to "Spaceballs" and Yogurt's marketing scene).  In some ways this whole mishegas reminds me of "Godfather III" which, I think of also as a footnote to its series, as it doesn't really add anything essential to the mythos.

BTW, I have the "unadorned" original trilogy of "Star Wars" and revile most of the "improvements" Lucas made in 1997 and then again with the advent of the prequels to the originals.  I know there is an "internal consistency" but continual tinkering with the originals is off-putting for me.  ("Oh look, there's an extra creature there . . . . there's more people artificially added in this scene . . . .")  These "improvements" are distractions for me.
Aunt Esther: I have the spirit of Christmas . . .
Fred Sanford: . . . and the face of Halloween!

A house divided by itself, falls down.
-- Edith Baines Bunker

vixmom

« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2014, 08:07:44 PM »

Well I left a rather terse message on the voice mail of the hotel manager of the Lumberton Country Inn & Suites  basically saying where is my phone?! (They have had a prepaid FEDEX label since last  Monday)

I just called again and actually got the manager on the phone - he apologized for the delay but said he dropped it in a FEDEX box yesterday  - the FEDX site doesnlt show it picked up yet but HOPEFULLYT  I will finally see my phone on Tuesday

He also said he would add 25000 point to our  loyalty plan  which will automatically give us a free night's stay in any one of the chain's   so that was very nice

ChasSmith

« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2014, 08:10:21 PM »

Oy!  Oy!  Oy!

(I sound like a stuck pig.)

DR George!  Before you do another thing, read the PM I'm about to send you.

vixmom

« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2014, 08:10:52 PM »

I am not familiar with The Machete Order, but do partly agree with the suggestion.  I don't think the first 2 parts of the prequel trilogy are essential.  Parts of Pt. III would be either a good flashback or as I think of it, a footnote (i.e., not really essential but some benefit can be derived from it).  As you may tell from my tone, I am not a fan of the prequel trilogy, except for some of III.  I think IV is great, V is a superb, dark sequel and VI gets lost in marketing fuzzy little stuffed animals (segue to "Spaceballs" and Yogurt's marketing scene).  In some ways this whole mishegas reminds me of "Godfather III" which, I think of also as a footnote to its series, as it doesn't really add anything essential to the mythos.

BTW, I have the "unadorned" original trilogy of "Star Wars" and revile most of the "improvements" Lucas made in 1997 and then again with the advent of the prequels to the originals.  I know there is an "internal consistency" but continual tinkering with the originals is off-putting for me.  ("Oh look, there's an extra creature there . . . . there's more people artificially added in this scene . . . .")  These "improvements" are distractions for me.

I am one of those who waited on line for hours to see all three of the Star Wars movies when they first came out - to me they will always be the true I II and III  and the others that came along years later  I found unsatisfying

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2014, 08:11:49 PM »

Even though I can't stand the continual revising he has done, if anyone other than Lucas "tinkers" with the original trilogy (i.e., Disney) it would be this side of Ted Turner's colorization of B/W movies and would lose a lot of old-time fans like me.

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Ginny

« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2014, 08:14:10 PM »

...He also said he would add 25000 point to our  loyalty plan  which will automatically give us a free night's stay in any one of the chain's   so that was very nice

Nice!  I hope you get your phone soon!

In related news, Delta has added 1000 points each to my frequent flyer account and Richard's in apology for last Monday's 4-hour delay in Atlanta.

'night!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2014, 08:14:52 PM »

I think that we are all in agreement here in regards to our preference to the ORIGINAL versions of IV, V and VI!! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

« Reply #133 on: February 09, 2014, 08:15:09 PM »

I'd accept that apology, Ginny.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2014, 08:15:27 PM »

Well I left a rather terse message on the voice mail of the hotel manager of the Lumberton Country Inn & Suites  basically saying where is my phone?! (They have had a prepaid FEDEX label since last  Monday)

I just called again and actually got the manager on the phone - he apologized for the delay but said he dropped it in a FEDEX box yesterday  - the FEDX site doesnlt show it picked up yet but HOPEFULLYT  I will finally see my phone on Tuesday

He also said he would add 25000 point to our  loyalty plan  which will automatically give us a free night's stay in any one of the chain's   so that was very nice

Congrats, Vixmom!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #135 on: February 09, 2014, 08:15:48 PM »

...He also said he would add 25000 point to our  loyalty plan  which will automatically give us a free night's stay in any one of the chain's   so that was very nice

Nice!  I hope you get your phone soon!

In related news, Delta has added 1000 points each to my frequent flyer account and Richard's in apology for last Monday's 4-hour delay in Atlanta.

'night!

Congrats, Ginny!

John G.

« Reply #136 on: February 09, 2014, 08:17:48 PM »

Elmore, I agree with you on Elizabeth Garvie. She's the best Elizabeth Bennett.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #137 on: February 09, 2014, 08:18:20 PM »

Well I left a rather terse message on the voice mail of the hotel manager of the Lumberton Country Inn & Suites

Sounds like vixmom was vacationing in David Lynch country.      :)

George

« Reply #138 on: February 09, 2014, 08:26:01 PM »

Oy!  Oy!  Oy!

(I sound like a stuck pig.)

DR George!  Before you do another thing, read the PM I'm about to send you.

Replied!  Thanks!

ChasSmith

« Reply #139 on: February 09, 2014, 08:37:21 PM »

DR FJL, that must be Westchester Broadway -- a place I've been to only once years ago, and that, too, has been my only dinner theater experience. 

(Avert your eyes, DR Elmore):   

So, that TITANIC is pretty good, eh?

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2014, 08:37:31 PM »

Tonight is a wake for my Aunt.  Kinda sad, she was a devout Catholic and her kids aren't, so they decided not to have a funeral Mass for her.  Makes no sense to me. 

Does that mean she's your great-aunt? A couple of years ago, a friend at Barnes & Novle died, and I paid for a mass to be said for her. Because of the backup, Holy Trinity could not say the mass for about six months after her death. Could not something similar be done for your aunt?

Of course, Larry.  Still not the same as a funeral mass (with "her" there)

Matthew

« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2014, 08:39:55 PM »

The wake was nice.  My cousin sang "The Wind Beneath My Wings" I played... it was nice.  Good seeing family again.

Matthew

« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2014, 08:40:44 PM »

Thanks for the vibes and condolences.  While watching the video this eve at the wake, I realized how important she was to my family - being best friends with my other Aunt and my grandmother. 

ChasSmith

« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2014, 08:58:22 PM »

Okay, maybe someday I'll get good at this.

Submitted for your approval... 

The most hideous picture I've (1) ever shot or (2) appeared in.  This one takes all the prizes!   :)

ChasSmith

« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2014, 08:59:27 PM »

At least we captured the CHICAGO picture!

John G.

« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2014, 09:06:37 PM »

Good night, all.
― Voltaire

vixmom

« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2014, 09:16:21 PM »

Oh Matthew I was most remiss in not extending my condolences on your loss.  Please forgive me .  I am truly sorry -  I agree that  I find it odd her children would choose not to have a mass if she was a devout Catholic

vixmom

« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2014, 09:18:16 PM »

SOOOOOOO.   does anybody have any  old Lord of the Rings posters and stuff they wish to  get rid of?  I'm at late off the mark  but out chili contest is the 22ns  the theme is the Oscars and I was assigned the  movie The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King...

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2014, 09:24:22 PM »

I say goodnight one and all SOMEWHERE on Page 6

-- Edith Baines Bunker

George

« Reply #149 on: February 09, 2014, 09:30:53 PM »

Well, since we're so close...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up