Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LAYING THE CARDS ON THE TABLE  (Read 7061 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: LAYING THE CARDS ON THE TABLE
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2014, 09:28:03 AM »

Tomorrow, I have an actress friend and two of her actor friends coming over to my house to read aloud my new 3-person stage play.

This is a Hollywood story that I've been wanting to tell, in one form or another, for over 30 years.

Please let us know.

Jane

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2014, 09:29:08 AM »

I'm getting ready for my midday appointment with my cardiologist.  Looking forward to getting the results of my Feb. 4 stress test.  Paramedic Rob assured me that if it had shown anything suspicious I'd have heard from them before now.

If Rob is wrong than I suggest you protest loudly because that is exactly how it should work.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2014, 09:29:41 AM »

DR Elan, thanks for your post about Erv Raible. So many of my FB friends were posting nice comments about him and I had no idea what he did or who he was.

Erv was co-owner (along with Karen Miller and Rochelle Seldin) of Eighty-Eights, the piano bar to which I owe whatever sanity I had in my early 20s, as well as where The Lovely Wife(tm) and I hung out at before we started dating. It is hardly exaggerating to say that I owe my marriage and children to him.

I can imagine that he may have been difficult to work with, but I never met a bigger devotee of the art of cabaret singing.

Jane

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2014, 09:29:46 AM »

Very excited to read the title and details of the book.  What is even more exciting is that it is NOT a dystopian book about young people....that trend will soon hopefully bite the dust for a decade or so.

I hope not. I am obsessed with dystopia.

;D

Bruce it is also popular with adults.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2014, 10:07:14 AM »

The laundry is finished and I have lost a sock. Damn!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2014, 10:12:02 AM »

It's gone to the black hole of unwanted socks.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2014, 10:13:28 AM »

The head of the company I work for just announced his retirement within a year. Bummer.

He has had the great ability to treat 26,000 employees worldwide as if he knew each of them and cared for each of them.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2014, 10:19:33 AM »

More like the unwanted hole of black socks!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2014, 10:44:58 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - wanted to talk to Muse Margaret about something, but she's already off to the market and won't be back for an hour - guess I'll talk to her then.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2014, 10:45:14 AM »

I was up at six-thirty, seven-thirty, and eight-thirty, too.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2014, 10:45:50 AM »

Most excellent vibes and xylophones to all, but especially to singjaw.

John G.

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2014, 10:51:45 AM »

More like the unwanted hole of black socks!

Maybe the mice will follow the errant sock.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2014, 10:53:41 AM »

Happy to read some folks are liking the idea of the new book.

John G.

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2014, 10:53:48 AM »

The San Antonio Symphony has got some fun planned for the fall. They move into a new expanded and refurbished center with Renee Fleming as the opener. After her appearance at Super Bowl, I'm sure that will sell a few tickets. The biggie for me, though, is they're doing Mahler's No. 2 Symphony in October. Can't wait to see that, hear it live for the first time.
― Voltaire

ryacko

• Fancy an awkward pause?
    • Robert Yacko's dot com
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2014, 11:07:21 AM »

Greetings, all!

And Happy Birthday to DR Matthew!!

Love the book's story idea, BK! Congrats on putting it together as you did, and on the great feedback so far. Wishing you big success with it!

TOD: Nothing in the DVD queue yet. Gotta restart Netflix now that I'm settling back in, and see what I want for a weekend of movies and laundry and music study. Oh, the romance of it all!   :D

MBarnum

« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2014, 11:26:51 AM »

BK, the new book sounds like a lot of fun!

ChasSmith

« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »

The San Antonio Symphony has got some fun planned for the fall. They move into a new expanded and refurbished center with Renee Fleming as the opener. After her appearance at Super Bowl, I'm sure that will sell a few tickets. The biggie for me, though, is they're doing Mahler's No. 2 Symphony in October. Can't wait to see that, hear it live for the first time.

You'll love that.  There's nothing like hearing a Mahler symphony live.

Of course I'd say that about a few other composers, too!  :)   The best recordings in the world still can't quite deliver what some of that really sounds like, and feels like.

ChasSmith

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2014, 11:31:24 AM »

Stravinsky, Rite of Spring.  Even if the conductor isn't your cup of tea, NEVER pass up a chance to hear that one live.  Especially in a good hall. 

John G.

« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2014, 11:50:25 AM »

The incomparable k.d. lang singing "I Can't Give You Anything but Love" in "After Midnight."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnHyShl3ilI&feature=c4-overview&list=UURzxcrSYjsxhjsKGs9uiECA

― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2014, 11:51:26 AM »

And because it's just so darn cute, here's a week-old Florida panther kitty who was rescued:

― Voltaire

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2014, 11:52:28 AM »

I am curious what other DRs thought about yesterday's women's figure skating long program??  Especially the scores for the top 3.

The placements for the long program were mostly correct.   However, I do not believe they were correct in the short program.  Adelina Sotnikova was scored way too high for her technically "light" short program.  And where did those high component (artistry/presentation) scores come from for her?

Someone on the internet today suggested Mao Asada's rise from 16th to 6th was a gift based on her reputation.  I took exception to the remark.  She skated a brilliant long program filled with grace, artistry and technical sophistication.  She leapfrogged over lesser skaters for her final placement.  She earned it, IMO. 

Ashley Wagner takes herself way too seriously, IMO.  She scares me a bit.  I also don't enjoy watching her skate.  I'm thinking the judges find her a bit much, as well.

I don't think Sotnikova came anywhere NEAR matching Carolina Kostner's component elements and a "fair" assessment of the former's skate would likely have seen the same three on top but in different positions.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 02:06:42 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2014, 12:10:59 PM »

A Very Happy Birthday to DR Matthew!! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2014, 12:27:13 PM »

~~~Continued Recovery Vibes for DR SlingJaw!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2014, 12:27:35 PM »

Last weekend of rehearsals for our production of the one-act I NEVER MISS A LARRY KRAMER MUSICAL (a parody chat with "Bette Midler") - our tech and first performance are on Tuesday Feb. 25.  Where did the time go?

Trying to post our postcard image, which is here at this like, but having trouble - and rehearsals have truly been a blast, in all good ways:

http://music-and-comedy.blogspot.com/2014/01/info-about-our-one-act-parody-musical.html

~~~Continued Break Legs Vibes for Fred and Cast!!~~~

George

« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2014, 12:28:12 PM »

Tomorrow, I have an actress friend and two of her actor friends coming over to my house to read aloud my new 3-person stage play.

This is a Hollywood story that I've been wanting to tell, in one form or another, for over 30 years.

Hope it goes well, Druxy! :)

George

« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2014, 12:30:24 PM »

DR Elan, thanks for your post about Erv Raible. So many of my FB friends were posting nice comments about him and I had no idea what he did or who he was.

Erv was co-owner (along with Karen Miller and Rochelle Seldin) of Eighty-Eights, the piano bar to which I owe whatever sanity I had in my early 20s, as well as where The Lovely Wife(tm) and I hung out at before we started dating. It is hardly exaggerating to say that I owe my marriage and children to him.

I can imagine that he may have been difficult to work with, but I never met a bigger devotee of the art of cabaret singing.

The only time that I've been to NYC was in December of 1995.  It was a tour with a group of theater folk and one night, a bunch of us went to Eighty-Eights!  We sang and chatted and had a great time.  I actually recognized one of the bartenders from the videorecording of "Nunsense"...Terri White!!  I asked if she was Terri White from "Nunsense" and she said, "yes."  I grabbed one of the Eighty-Eights table-top card ads and asked if I could get her autograph.  She was so sweet and signed the card for me.  I still have it! ;D

George

« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2014, 12:30:39 PM »

I can't wait for her CD!

George

« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »

Happy to read some folks are liking the idea of the new book.

It sounds intriguing and fun!

KevinH

« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2014, 12:56:19 PM »

Happy Birthday to DR Matthew!

KevinH

« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2014, 01:00:02 PM »

I'm wondering how my dog, Chester, will react when the actress arrives tomorrow.

Chester used to be her dog (for 3 years), but he didn't play well with her other animals, so she and her husband gave him to my wife and I.

Chester has not seen his former owner for over a year.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

Looking forward to hear about this, DR Druxy!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up